• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Good news, new drivers seem to be working, except for the massive screen tear they are running great for me.

mclaren777 said:
I don't understand why people still buy ATI cards. Is it just a brand loyalty thing?

This is the first time in a long time that I have had issues.

JohngPR said:
Here's a quick and dirty video I made with my phone if you're interested in seeing what I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moqh1P-pQps

Sorry if the quality sucks..

thanks for that, good vid. doesn't seem too bad at all, very slight pop-in, i've seen much worse in other games. i might be picking up the PS3 version instead of PC.

fuck, game looks incredible in 60fps with that crazy amount of details and geometry..

CAW

I installed disk one on the 360, loaded the game and it didn't run off the disk, but the HDD. I turned off the console to swap out controllers, and now when I load the game it runs off the disk and not the HDD.

Do I have to install all three disks in order for it to run off the HDD?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just tried the new drivers.

The framerate is now a perfect 60 fps, texture loading is faster (though still slower and more frequent than the console versions), and glitches are gone *BUT* the hitching is just as bad. It's so bad that I cannot play the game.

So, the drivers definitely did their part, but there is still something seriously wrong here. Basically, as you move around, the game "freezes" for a good second near constantly. When it happens, the game is completely unresponsive.

Now what? Is there any tweaks for THIS problem? Why is it constantly skipping and freezing?

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
The new drivers really didn't do anything at all for me except get rid of the texture thrashing glitches. If anything textures load even slower when I turn quickly. I wasn't even really that bummed before about the texture loading issue, mainly just the poor framerate I was getting. Now the texture loading is really noticeable. Game still absolutely chugs with 8x AA on. 30fps outdoors. Anyone getting any dramatically good results from these drivers? I hope some people are at least. i7 930/6970. Still not happy here :\

jett

D-Member
dark10x said:

The framerate is now a perfect 60 fps, texture loading is faster (though still slower and more frequent than the console versions), and glitches are gone *BUT* the hitching is just as bad. It's so bad that I cannot play the game.

So, the drivers definitely did their part, but there is still something seriously wrong here. Basically, as you move around, the game "freezes" for a good second near constantly. When it happens, the game is completely unresponsive.

Now what? Is there any tweaks for THIS problem? Why is it constantly skipping and freezing?

Like Deus EX HR?

I guess I was wrong and there truly is some something fucked up with pc developers today. :p

Nizz

JohngPR said:
Really quick impressions of the PS3 verson.

The texture pop in isn't as bad for me as it looked in those videos. Yes it does happen, but not every time....especially the bit when he was comparing the pipe on the wall with the cabinet with the drawers. In fact, I couldn't get it to do the texture pop in once it did it the one initial time.

It's still there, but it's not a big deal from what I've seen.

More than anything, holy shit does 60fps make a big difference. It makes the game looks better than it probably does...amazing.

If I would have to point to anything that makes the game look less than what it should, it'd be the lack of antialiasing. Jaggies are noticeably but not a deal breaker. So far I'm not mad that I kept the PS3 version. I'll update further since I haven't even truly played the game yet.

Here's a quick and dirty video I made with my phone if you're interested in seeing what I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moqh1P-pQps

Sorry if the quality sucks..

Kurdel said:
Played about 3 hours of the PS3 version.

The texture issue is barely noticable, and the game is REALLY fun.

I feel there isn't enough shooting in the first part of the game. Driving is a blast, but the shooting is something else.

Can't wait to see the rest of the game!
Thanks for the impressions guys. This was the version I'm most interested in hearing about. That texture issue doesn't seem too bad at all.

dark10x said:

I don't get any hitching with the new drivers at all, just massive screen tear and "triple buffering" in CCC doesn't do anything.

Wallach

Worked beautifully.

Make sure you force VSync and turn on triple buffering in CCC.

I only have very, very minor pop-in now during fast movement. It's actually almost impossible to see using a controller, but the faster rate of movement with a mouse makes it more visible.

Fucking gorgeous now. Thank god.

Gav47

bloodforge said:
I don't get any hitching with the new drivers at all, just massive screen tear and "enable triple buffering" doesn't do anything.
Did you try forcing Vsync? Triple buffering and vsync solved that problem for me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
bloodforge said:
Good news, new drivers seem to be working, except for the massive screen tear they are running great for me.

This is the first time in a long time that I have had issues.

Awesome! How noticeable is the texture pop-in with them? That's honestly my only issue at this point. With my 11.6 Catalyst drivers and after having added those missing cache folders and tweaking a few other settings, I'm getting a very smooth framerate and no flickering or tearing. It's just the low-res textures and horrendous pop-in that plague me still.

I'll try the new drivers when I get home, but I was hoping to hear that the pop-in issues were all but gone with them.

Wallach said:
Worked beautifully.

I only have very, very minor pop-in now during fast movement. It's actually almost impossible to see using a controller, but the faster rate of movement with a mouse makes it more visible.

Yay! This is what I like to hear! I may even plug in my 360 controller if this is what they really designed the game around.

Zefah said:
Awesome! How noticeable is the texture pop-in with them? That's honestly my only issue at this point. With my 11.6 Catalyst drivers and after having added those missing cache folders and tweaking a few other settings, I'm getting a very smooth framerate and no flickering or tearing. It's just the low-res textures and horrendous pop-in that plague me still.

I'll try the new drivers when I get home, but I was hoping to hear that the pop-in issues were all but gone with them.

Yay! This is what I like to hear! I may even plug in my 360 controller if this is what they really designed the game around.

I don't notice texture pop in anymore unless I turn really fast.

Edit: Forcing vsync worked, it now runs flawlessly at 60fps. Nice.

domstah said:
Damn the save system is archaic. Having to manually save every five minutes is tedious, I lost 20 minutes worth of progress thanks to the shitty ladder system and falling to my death. I understand that their saves take forever - but an autosave when I finish an task would have been nice.

Otherwise it looks great on 360, and an early pro-tip - don't by the telescope as it will take over your ability to aim sown sight with the guns.
Wrong about the scope...it only works with the pistol, and it actually makes it way more accurate, like a sniper scope. I use it all the time to recon areas and get headshots.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Wallach said:
Worked beautifully.

windows 7 64bit drivers? link doesn't say

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
mclaren777 said:
I don't understand why people still buy ATI cards. Is it just a brand loyalty thing?
If anything, it's the opposite of brand loyalty. Outside of a few notable cards and video games they generally do the same thing for around the same price.

lqd

Neo Member
Is is really that flawless for you guys?
Installed new performance driver, v-sync and triple buffering works, it's 60 fps but it constantly drops frames for me to 50-55fps and stutters like crazy ffs.
Also textures looks like something from ps2 era.
What's hilarious is that I see about 40% utilization of my 6970.
And I don't think CPU's fault since I have i7 2600k @ 4ghz.

dark10x said:

Another title stricken with Stuttering?

WTF is going on with PC releases lately!?

Definity

Forced vsync and triple buffering as suggested a few times and thankfully that got rid of the monster tearing. Played a bit more and I enjoy it but im still butthurt over how the textures look up close. Oh well.

Solo

Damn, night and day difference after forcing triple buffering/v-sync and following the couple of tweaks for the config on page 81 of this thread! Texture pop-in still exists, but its minimal and is almost a non-issue. Game now for the most part looks great, and it plays great. LOVING the art direction.

Salsa

Wallach said:
Worked beautifully.

Solo said:
Damn, night and day difference after forcing triple buffering/v-sync and following the couple of tweaks for the config on page 81 of this thread! Texture pop-in still exists, but its minimal and is almost a non-issue. Game now for the most part looks great, and it plays great. LOVING the art direction.

N1bEE.gif

mclaren777

SapientWolf said:
If anything, it's the opposite of brand loyalty. Outside of a few notable cards and video games they generally do the same thing for around the same price.
I frequently hear about performance disparities that make ATI cards look inferior to similar Nvidia hardware.

This game is just another example.

Prodigal

Banned
Solo said:

Did you change these values to 2048 and 1024 for the pop in?

vt_maxppf 1024
vt_maxlockedpages 256

Solo

Prodigal said:
Did you change these values to 2048 and 1024 for the pop in?

vt_maxppf 1024
vt_maxlockedpages 256

Yup.

The one other weird effect I'm getting is "seams" showing on geometry. Anyone know what might be causing this?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
dark10x said:

This is happening to me on my 4870x2 as well. blrhbluhbhlugh

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jett said:
Like Deus EX HR?

I guess I was wrong and there truly is some something fucked up with pc developers today. :p
Oh, it was much much much worse than that. It stuttered very severely and occurred almost continuously regardless of what was on screen.

However, I fixed this issue by adding a bunch of launch options.

The one that solved it was adding that extra cache folder that was missing after install. Once I added that and specified the size it worked great.

I wonder if the installer messed up? I mean, whenever I launch the game it ALWAYS setups up the Microsoft VC package again.

Running well now, though.

Anyone know how to enable AF? I've tried the "image_anisotropy 16" variable and it did not work.

Link? I've using a larger page view so I don't have a page 81.

lqd

Neo Member
lqd said:
Is is really that flawless for you guys?
Installed new performance driver, v-sync and triple buffering works, it's 60 fps but it constantly drops frames for me to 50-55fps and stutters like crazy ffs.
Also textures looks like something from ps2 era.
What's hilarious is that I see about 40% utilization of my 6970.
And I don't think CPU's fault since I have i7 2600k @ 4ghz.

So I used config posted earlier and it still stutters like a motherfucker.
Just to clarify game is installed on RAID0 and I did create folder (lol) for texture cache on SSD drive where my system is. I mean, what the fuck is this shit:

rw1d0j.png

Looks like I'm done with this game till it's patched properly, fuck you id/amd or whoever is responsible for this fucking mess.

Karak

JohngPR said:
Dammit, just tell me what to do! :p

I have a PS3 Slim as well. It's a shame that there are so many minor problems. Realistically, I have NBA 2K12 coming as well. If I really wanted to, I could wait the time and play that instead.

It's going to be a game time decision. LOL

I will say this, unless specifically noted beforehand. This will be the only time I pick up the PS3 version of a multi platform game on a whim.
Fine 360 then. It is the only one I feel safe saying it will work the best.

EDIT: I see you got the PS3 version. Good show. Like I said, its noticeable, can't pretend its not, but it aint a game killer.

Let the killing begin!

garath

Solo said:

Wanna throw down the complete list of tweaks you did?

I tried a bunch and some had negative impact or none. Others might have helped but it was tough pinpointing was was helping and what wasn't.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
Yup.

The one other weird effect I'm getting is "seams" showing on geometry. Anyone know what might be causing this?

I think it's actually caused by messing with those values. I tried creating a config value with a bunch of custom settings posted earlier in this thread, and my framerate tanked and those seams started to appear. I immediately deleted the config file and everything was back to normal. Normal as in no seams, but muddy-ass textures.

lqd said:
So I used config posted earlier and it still stutters like a motherfucker.
Just to clarify game is installed on RAID0 and I did create folder (lol) for texture cache on SSD drive where my system is. I mean, what the fuck is this shit:

Looks like I'm done with this game till it's patched properly, fuck you id/amd or whoever is responsible for this fucking mess.

I laughed my ass off, too, when I saw that painted on pipe texture. It stood out so much. Straight out of Quake 2 or something.

Solo

garath said:
Wanna throw down the complete list of tweaks you did?

I literally copied and pasted the values from the post on Page 81 of this thread into my rageconfig file.

com_AllowConsole 1
com_SkipIntroVideo 1
vt_qualityhdplossless 1
vt_qualityhdppower 0
vt_qualityhdpspecular 0
vt_qualityhdpnormal 0
vt_qualityhdpdiffuse 0
vt_qualitydctpower 100
vt_qualitydctspecular 100
vt_qualitydctnormal 100
vt_qualitydctchroma 100
vt_qualitydctluma 100
vt_usecudatranscode 2
vt_maxppf 1024
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_minlod -1
vt_maxlockedpages 256
vt_uncompressedvmtr 1
vt_maxaniso 16
vt_uncompressedphysicalimages 1
vt_vmtrcompression none
vt_restart
image_lodbias -1
image_anisotropy 16
image_usecompression 0
image_screenshotquality 100

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
I literally copied and pasted the values from the post on Page 81 of this thread into my rageconfig file.

Yeah, I did the same thing and that caused the seams for me. Deleting the config file fixed it. Not sure exactly which line(s) is the culprit.

garath

Solo said:

Damn. I did that and it crashes on startup for me. I'll have to go through them one by one.

Smokey said:
Installing game now from disc..Uh..how long is it supposed to sit on 'Installing System Components, Please Wait"?

It was a good 5 minutes for me at least

sp3000

Luckyman said:
http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=23760

John Carmack: Developing RAGE for consoles was a big mistake, future titles will put priority on PC hardware

lolz

At least he is honest. That's one thing I always liked about him, is that he doesn't let PR get in the way of an honest technical conversation.

I hope Doom 4 is better than the mess that this game was. Hopefully PC focused development will put id back where they belong.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Okay, hitching gone. disabled catalyst AI and triple buffering and it runs fine. Texture loading is really bad, but at least it's smooth and playable.

Peterthumpa

Solo said:
Yup.

Read somewhere on the interwebz that this could be forced AF. Disable it (if you got it enabled) and try again.

Karak

Damn youtube is destroying this thing. Some of those PC issues are so sad. I hate it.
I also see more PS3 issues than I am getting. What is with the people not appearing...like some kind of empty shadow. Megatextures, so awesome...

Top Bottom