• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

After renting this from Redbox and playing it for about 5 hours, Im still on the fence about picking this up.

I can recognize that this is a pretty good MP game. I went from supreme frustration and being the first guy offed each round to actually holding my own and getting some kills. Its definitely got a learning curve but its more about learning proper ways to breach and defend. I can say that I've had fun with my time so far with the game....but it just doesnt feel like there is much there.

I cant shake the feeling that these are two modes from what should be a much larger game. $60 is kind of insulting considering what is on offer here no matter how good. Also I just dont know how long it will be until matches start feeling kinda same-y; I have a hard time imaging that I will be playing this game in a month from now.

I still may pick this up if I can get it for a big discount but for now, Im afraid Im gonna have to pass on this one.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
After renting this from Redbox and playing it for about 5 hours, Im still on the fence about picking this up.

I can recognize that this is a pretty good MP game. I went from supreme frustration and being the first guy offed each round to actually holding my own and getting some kills. Its definitely got a learning curve but its more about learning proper ways to breach and defend. I can say that I've had fun with my time so far with the game....but it just doesnt feel like there is much there.

I cant shake the feeling that these are two modes from what should be a much larger game. $60 is kind of insulting considering what is on offer here no matter how good. Also I just dont know how long it will be until matches start feeling kinda same-y; I have a hard time imaging that I will be playing this game in a month from now.

I still may pick this up if I can get it for a big discount but for now, Im afraid Im gonna have to pass on this one.

I would have passed at $60 as well. Luckily it was only $25-$30 on PC (which is the perfect pricepoint for these multiplayer only titles).

Haines

Banned
I haven't got a chance to play. Busy with witcher 3 and I tried out the doom alpha

Is the connection errors and stuff gone from ps4 yet

NeoGiff

I've been playing this with friends and we've been having a blast. I love the way you can be so tactically coordinated. Here's a clip from a game we just finished, where we coordinated Fuze's cluster charges with breaching and picking off enemies. I'm generally not a fan of the FPS genre, but I can see myself playing this for a long time to come!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmeTz4gh-fg

Maybe I'm missing something in the settings, but is there a way to seperate the voice audio from the game audio? I play with surround sound and have a headset for communication. Messes with the immersion when people are talking through my speakers.

I think there is an option in custom game, isn't there? i remember seeing some option aking to LAN matches.

Nice, I'll check when I get home. I have an great deal of interest in this since I have two PS4s setup next to one another, with two TVs. LAN is always a nice bonus for me, especially when travelling without wireless internet.

anyone know of a good fps limiter that isn't RTSS?

I would like to stream and xsplit and rtss do not play well

the fps in menus shoots up to 600's

Onikaan

Can anyone help or advise?

I bought the game today and I can't play it. It forces me to log into Uplay when I try to play MP. I can't remember my password so I tried a PW reset... but it doesn't send me the email. I tried to create a new account and displays an error.

Just wanted to play some Rainbow 6, man.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Can anyone help or advise?

I bought the game today and I can't play it. It forces me to log into Uplay when I try to play MP. I can't remember my password so I tried a PW reset... but it doesn't send me the email. I tried to create a new account and displays an error.

Just wanted to play some Rainbow 6, man.

PC has to get pushed through uPlay.
Check your spam folder. The email may have went there.
Worst case make a support ticket to get the account PW changed.

there needs to be some variation in the winstate for mp or a different mode or something. right now defusing the bomb or securing the hostage is pointless when it makes much more sense to just kill off all the defenders.

maybe something where defenders can leave the main room?

MEATER

Playing the english version with a german keyboard on PC and I can't figure out what key I need to press to skip the replay at the end of a situation. It's also used for vault and to apply settings.

Looks like this:

PMBb.jpg

Hope someone here can help me out and tell me where the key is on the US keyboard.

Only played a couple of the situations and two online matches so far. Online has been horrible since I only speak english and german and apparently only russian and french players are on EU.

If there are some EU players around let me know! Be warned though: Total noob here. Haven't played shooters online since Battlefield 2.

spk

Playing the english version with a german keyboard on PC and I can't figure out what key I need to press to skip the replay at the end of a situation. It's also used for vault and to apply settings.

Looks like this:

PMBb.jpg

Hope someone here can help me out and tell me where the key is on the US keyboard.

Only played a couple of the situations and two online matches so far. Online has been horrible since I only speak english and german and apparently only russian and french players are on EU.

If there are some EU players around let me know! Be warned though: Total noob here. Haven't played shooters online since Battlefield 2.

spacebar

Defenders can always leave the main room. The way it's done is to keep matches relatively short while making the fact that if you die so early on not a giant pain to wait, as you'll be on the next match soon. I've won games where the defenders just camped and essentially wiped my entire team from a sneaky camping spot away from the bomb, so I planted the diffuser and turned the tides and won when he realized he couldn't just kill us all to win.

T-hunt has got to be the best thing in gaming (for me at least). Mostly totally relaxed and open minded people trying to get the level done. And so many great moments of chaos and moments of laughter.

The most fun i ever had in gaming with others. And that's not just this Vegas game. This is the most exciting version of T-hunt though.

A big respect for the devs and i hope this game and mode will have a long and satisfying run in the future.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
watching this game more on twitch and it is deff growing on me, have any future plans for this game been released, any season pass or free maps or new modes coming eventually. I want to buy this game but multiplayers only not at full price. Hoping the price is downgraded for boxing day to hit a wider audience possibly, but doubt it

T-hunt has got to be the best thing in gaming (for me at least). Mostly totally relaxed and open minded people trying to get the level done. And so many great moments of chaos and moments of laughter.

The most fun i ever had in gaming with others. And that's not just this Vegas game. This is the most exciting version of T-hunt though.

A big respect for the devs and i hope this game and mode will have a long and satisfying run in the future.

the bombers are terrifying and on realistic the ai is no joke. that said i wish there was a little more self-preservation from them. swat 4 is still unmatched to this day in that area.

Animator

watching this game more on twitch and it is deff growing on me, have any future plans for this game been released, any season pass or free maps or new modes coming eventually. I want to buy this game but multiplayers only not at full price. Hoping the price is downgraded for boxing day to hit a wider audience possibly, but doubt it

Umm read the op of this thread?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Rough day hunting for me today.

Guys, hey maybe not the front door again where we can get shot from the balcony above, stairwells and hallways to each side and corner... not to mention the bomber who is there every time? Like, how many times do you have to get blown up by that bomber and wiped before realizing that bunching up at the main entrance might not be sound tactics? lol

Drewfonse

I am terrible at this game. Just really terrible. It doesn't seem to matter who I choose. I'm really enjoying myself, and maybe I'll get better, but I am truly horrendous. I always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Came across my first team killer. Just don't understand why people do that in games.

I had one guy cold-kill me in the prep phase the other day because I was putting up a reinforced wall over a hole he made, which I didn't even notice. I saw red, man. That shit gets me so mad.

Only time that's happened tho. One time i even accidentally killed a teammate and I apologized profusely and he wasn't even mad. Community's mostly tolerable, if not necessarily great.

I am terrible at this game. Just really terrible. It doesn't seem to matter who I choose. I'm really enjoying myself, and maybe I'll get better, but I am truly horrendous. I always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Map awareness is like 75% of the game. Play the Situations if you haven't, or play some terrorist hunt co-op to familiarize yourself with the map better, and try to be aware of points of ingress the enemy is likely to use when you're defending. When attacking, sticking with a teammate and checking your/their corners is always an option if you're not sure what the best way to go is.

Jarrod38

I had one guy cold-kill me in the prep phase the other day because I was putting up a reinforced wall over a hole he made, which I didn't even notice. I saw red, man. That shit gets me so mad.

Only time that's happened tho. One time i even accidentally killed a teammate and I apologized profusely and he wasn't even mad. Community's mostly tolerable, if not necessarily great.

Been soloing this game but I'm still shocked on how many Attackers just storm the buildings without doing any recon at all. What is great about Attacker side is the grenades and now knowing you can cook them right towards a guy behind a shield. The game still has hit detection issues and hope Ubisoft fixes that.

Drewfonse

Map awareness is like 75% of the game. Play the Situations if you haven't, or play some terrorist hunt co-op to familiarize yourself with the map better, and try to be aware of points of ingress the enemy is likely to use when you're defending. When attacking, sticking with a teammate and checking your/their corners is always an option if you're not sure what the best way to go is.

Yeah, it's true about the map awareness. I'm just creeping around usually while attacking. And on defense, I just hole myself in the defending room. It rarely ends well for me, on either side. If I had to pick two operators that I do just below average at, not dreadfully, it would be Doc and Glaz. I'm comically bad with Fuze. I should inspire fear with him, but instead I inspire peals of laughter followed by hiccups.

Man...I love this game!!!

When played with others who communicate and have a general understanding of what and when to do things, this game can be so rewarding but also extremely lopsided. Last night a party of 5 of us won 4 flawless matches in-a-row and while it's hard not to feel sorry for the other team, it feels damn good wiping the other team out.

I'm also liking how well balanced the Operator's are, where they all serve a purpose when used in combination with others. I've been using Blitz a lot, his ability to charge reinforcements and metal shields is fantastic, especially when you're watching an enemy trying to jump over a shield in the doorway and they keep getting zapped.

The community on PS4 has also been pretty flawless in my experiences so far with most people using mic's and very minimal team killing, on my teams when with randoms at least. I've also found people aren't afraid to ask for help or what they should do, with people willingly helping and advising others.

I've not experienced anything like this online since the SOCOM days and it's very refreshing and gives me some faith in humanity after being in games like CoD. I can see myself playing this for many....many hours. I was loving Battlefront but I've not touched it since this came out.

I can but I prefer xsplit simply because I hate the fact that shadowplay brands your stream as "powered by nvidia"

unless there is a way to turn that off

Do you want to stream or record the game? It'll stream to Twitch with no branding(or record) and you can upload from Twitch to YT automagically if you wanted to. The "branding" is an option, that I'm not so sure why so many choose to use, it looks silly.

Hey guys, I thought I'd try my hand at an operator tier list. I think it's somewhat delusional to suggest that this game is perfectly balanced, while I think everyone is perfectly lethal, I think in terms of abilities, there are certainly some characters that have more overall utility than others. Let's discuss this.

S tier
  • Thatcher - Thatcher might not always prove essential, but when faced with the possibility of jammers, shockwire, anti-projectile and reinforced doors completely locking you out of a room, being able to instantly destroy all of that has tremendous utility, and immediate synergy with anyone on your team using aggressive electronics (e.g. Ash, Thermite, Fuze, Twtich). His assault rifles are also very capable firearms, downing targets fast at mid to long range.
  • Thermite - Thermite's ability can change the shape of a match within seconds, hugely influential, providing multiple avenues of attack where there would otherwise be none, allowing your team to spread risk across multiple entry points.
  • Fuze - Fuze's ability can be unpredictable, and fatal. Often thinning the encamped enemies from the objective room. Meanwhile he is also equipped with a shield, capable of drawing enemy fire, or if you prefer a more offensive playstyle, an assault rifle, or LMG, the later of which capable of shredding through walls and laying down surpressive fire.
A tier
  • Pulse - I initially dismissed Pulse's heart beat sensor as relatively useless, the sensor doesn't track enemies as precisely as in some games, but when used correctly it can provide incredibly valuable intelligence to your and your team. You can know how many enemies are approaching the other side of a wall, if they've changed their approach and decided to retreat, which window they're approaching from a rappel. It's very handy and syngerises well with all classes you communicate with.
  • Blitz - Blitz has a shield, and that makes him remarkably useful in drawing enemy fire, and pushing with a team. Additionally, as he pushes into a room he can flash enemies, which gives him the edge in close encounters.
  • Castle - The reinforced barricades he provides halt enemy progress, forcing the use of a breach. This means no quick shots through a doorway, having a door locked down with castle, means that you will get ample opportunity to react to the breach.
  • Bandit - With similar utility to mute, bandit can lock down corridors with electrified razer wire, or prevent breaches on metal walls. He's especially useful when preventing the enemy drones scouting the objective.
  • Montagne - His ability doesn't have that much of an influence on the game. Being able to stand up with your shield isn't as useful as one might think, as you can't fire in this position, and you obstruct allied shots. Still, Montagne has a shield, and that gives him considerable utility in drawing enemy fire and enabling allies to push into dangerous areas of the map when collaborating with other teammates.
  • Sledge - Can be very useful in opening up an absurd number of additional avenues of attack. Very good for running distraction, while being equipped with a good arsenal of weapons and medium armour.
  • Rook - Rooks armour can be a life saver, allowing you to take a little extra damage, and increasing the ability of the DBNO status. Meanwhile he himself, is very well armoured and equipped with decent weapons for close quarters. Has high synergy with Doc, who can revive players that benefit from the increased DBNO odds.
B tier
  • Jager - His anti-projectile devices help you reinforce the objective area, and prevent you being cleared out by frags and flashes. This can be very helpful in some of the smaller, more confined objective locatons. Still, you will experience many games where Jagers ability has no substantial impact on the match.
  • Doc - Doc can be useful from time to time, but in most cases, players that go down, die almost immediately. Therefore the revival ability doesn't come in handy all that often.
  • Ash - While being able to breach from a distance is helpful, this isn't something other characters can't do with firearms or grenades where required. It's rare that players need something breached at a distance, yet can't do it themselves via other means, and therefore.
  • Kapkan - Entry denial devices serve as a good deterrent, and can earn kills against bad players, but it's rare that they are influential on the outcome of a match.
C tier
  • Twitch - Twitch is difficult to use effectively. Her drone can take out electronics, but only individually. It struggles to take out electronics in areas where taking out electronics would be important, as players are liable to kill the drone quite quickly around the objective area. Thatcher can do her job, with considerably greater efficacy.
  • Glaz - Glaz can get some nice long ranged kills, but there are simply too few scenarios that this is viable. Once indoors, he isn't capable of doing anything that every other operative, already is. Additionally, due to the OHK capability of every weapon on headshots, most ACOG equipped assault rifles can match Glaz at even mid-long ranges.
  • Smoke - In most cases if you were to place a remote gas grenade as a deterrent, if you had placed a nitrocell you could have landed the kill. Gas grenades do not typically kill anyone and more universal devices (nitro) can serve as an equally effective deterrent.
  • IQ - Her ability allows her to see electronics, but any drone or player can do the same. Usually when an electronic presents a problem, it's quite evident and IQ just isn't required. The low armour doesn't help her survivability either.
  • Tachanka - His deployable LMG packs a punch, but as does everything else in this game. It's difficult to get good utility out of the weapon and due to the frequent desire to stay on the emplacement it can render you very vulnerable to attacks when enemies expect you, frags or fuze's ability.

Guide
S super additions to your team, almost feel essential in regards to their utility.
A great characters, providing a substancial asset to your team
B modest utility, these characters are either 'okay' all around, or their utility only comes into play in specific scenarios
C these characters are typically selected less, as its often difficult to find a significant use for their abilities

How is this in comparison to your views?

Gaz_RB

Twitch is anything but C tier. She's amazing in the right hands, and her 417 is fantastic. Also, I don't think Fuze is S. I would maybe even drop him to C. I agree with Thatcher and Thermite for sure. And yeah IQ is worthless. But so is Tachanka in the face of an experienced team.

Which goes to show how personal Operator preferences are, and how well Ubisoft did in balancing them.

Twitch is anything but C tier. She's amazing in the right hands, and her 417 is fantastic. Also, I don't think Fuze is S. I would maybe even drop him to C.

Which goes to show how personal Operator preferences are, and how well Ubisoft did in balancing them.

I disagree with this. I think as with any game, you will always have the meta play in a certain direction. Just because our preferences differ, absolutely does not mean that at the highest level of play, certain characters are not better than others.

In terms of lethality, I think all characters are very useful and largely balanced. Everyone can kill in an instant at most of the ranges they will be exposed to in this game, and I think the fact that ultimately the gunplay plays the largest influence makes any character perfectly viable. I do not think that's the result of artful design or 'how well Ubisoft did balancing them' however. It is the same on Call of Duty when you play hardcore. You quickly realise that almost every weapon is viable, because they all OHK. So suddenly a game that isn't phenomenally well balanced, becomes much more so.

This is also why I only took the tier list down to C. There are no characters that are poor, just some that are better than others, but everyone gets a passing mark. Everyone can kill everyone, and be perfectly competitive with their firearms, so it's not like tier lists on other games like Smash, where certain characters have very poor matchups against most of the cast.

Either way, I could see Twitch as B perhaps, but I found her drone to be not that useful. Drone's make a heck of a lot of noise as they move around, obvious to anyone with a decent headset, so they're taken out super quickly if they're in the same room as a player, and hers is huge. Hers does take out electronics, but why would you need that when thatchers EMPs will take out electronics in the entirety of a small room?

I do actually agree about Tachanka though. I'm not sure why I placed him there. I may move him. I think perhaps his LMG should be allowed to deal modest damage through shields. That would make him useful, but still offer a high risk.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Man...I love this game!!!

When played with others who communicate and have a general understanding of what and when to do things, this game can be so rewarding but also extremely lopsided. Last night a party of 5 of us won 4 flawless matches in-a-row and while it's hard not to feel sorry for the other team, it feels damn good wiping the other team out.

I'm also liking how well balanced the Operator's are, where they all serve a purpose when used in combination with others. I've been using Blitz a lot, his ability to charge reinforcements and metal shields is fantastic, especially when you're watching an enemy trying to jump over a shield in the doorway and they keep getting zapped.

The community on PS4 has also been pretty flawless in my experiences so far with most people using mic's and very minimal team killing, on my teams when with randoms at least. I've also found people aren't afraid to ask for help or what they should do, with people willingly helping and advising others.

I've not experienced anything like this online since the SOCOM days and it's very refreshing and gives me some faith in humanity after being in games like CoD. I can see myself playing this for many....many hours. I was loving Battlefront but I've not touched it since this came out.

this gives me a boner, may pick this up

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Man this game ran it's course with me so fast lol. Playing today and got bored really quickly. Kinda suck because my friends are way into it.

edit: Doc is straight up useless. He should be in his own tier.

Gaz_RB

I do actually agree about Tachanka though. I'm not sure why I placed him there. I may move him. I think perhaps his LMG should be allowed to deal modest damage through shields. That would make him useful, but still offer a high risk.

Agree 100%. That'd be the perfect buff.

GravyButt

Man i can't wait to play for real. Got to play it today for a few minutes today. Even though it was only the situations. Im sure I won't even be able to play the actual real multiplayer till next weekend because of being busy but man reading all of this is really really making me want to risk waking up the wife and baby right now.

Luckily I know i better :-D

Smoke is really useful in certain situations. He can block their entrance at key moments, and he's great against shields. Also the AoE is decent.

Top Bottom