• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapist gets 6 months because prison sentence would have a severe impact on him

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they wouldn't. There is no dimension where people being harsh on the guy are gonna suddenly feel for him if he went "I'm rapist horrible person"

I can't grasp why anyone is pushing that narrative. Its not true. I don't give a shit if the guy gave an hour long heartfelt apology, dude is a rapist and need to hit jail for the next 15 years then live with the consequences when he gets out.

As long as that reality exists why is he gonna go to court where he is trying to salvage his life and just be like "yeah I did it. It was all me"? Does that sound like a winning court strategy to anyone here?

No one answered me from before. If we are all on the page that rape is black and white fuck this guy, why are we also expexting him to toss aside his well being to appease us?

I would prefer the courts do there job properly. Not sympathize with this asshole. But him trying to preserve himself. I dont hold that against him.

Taking responsibility for your crimes and admitting to it is definitely a way to get paroled. I worked as a correctional officer in a prison and saw this first hand watching inmates talk to the board.

diaspora

As far as I can tell, Turner seems to be saying that he's sorry that the victim was hurt by the rape but never actually says he's sorry for doing the rape.

edit: Worse still is the deferring of blame for doing the rape to alcohol and other shit that isn't himself.

I think people are more upset at his sentence and the people defending him, rather than him defending himself, otherwise I agree with the general gist of your post.

Those people were asked to write statements of character and they did. I think they are fucking shitty people but none of that would even matter if the judge did his damn job from the jump. The sentencing is a fucking insulting joke. Yes I'm pissed the fuck off about it.

But people are trying to have it both ways. If you want the guy to rot in prison and live a shell of a life you are free to that. That's what I want. But if you have 0 desire to exercise any mercy on the dude then you can't also expect him to sit there and dig his own grave in court for people who dont give a shit about him.

I just find the indictment of character because he isn't taking responsibility innane. If he took full responsibility he prob isn't getting 6 months. We know his charcter is disgusting because he raped someone. But his court statement? Again, is it a winning court strategy to admit to everythimg and shit on your owm character? Would anyine here suggest that?

There needs to be serious changes to the legal system. How the hell do you get 6 months for this?

Taking responsibility for your crimes and admitting to it is definitely a way to get paroled. I worked as a correctional officer in a prison and saw this first hand watching inmates talk to the board.

If he took full responsibility you see this dude getting more time or less? Real question. Cause I dont at all see this going down but I could see it going up.

And yeah, responsibility for petty crime generally reduces sentences. Rape? With the history of rape cases I dont agree with your assessment at all.

Amory

If he took full responsibility you see this dude getting more time or less? Real question. Cause I dont at all see this going down but I could see it going up.

And yeah, responsibility for petty crime generally reduces sentences. Rape? With the history of rape cases I dont agree with your assessment at all.

Some people think he should do something like this

If he truly regrets his actions, he'll reject the judge's leniency (is that possible?) and serve out a full sentence commensurate with his crimes.

which is a completely ridiculous expectation, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LifEndz

Man, I don't know how I missed this story but good lord is this disgusting. That letter by the victim was so vivid that I couldn't even finish it. And six months? Recently learned about the lynching of Jesse Washington and to contrast that against this...no words.

cameron

The Judge's position was up for re-election yesterday, but had no challengers, so his judicial term was renewed for 6 years by default.

People: "Judge Who Sentenced Stanford Rapist to 6 Months in Prison Gets New 6-Year Term"
Judge Aaron Persky, who made the controversial decision to sentence former Stanford University swimmer Brock Turner to six months in jail for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman outside of a frat party in January 2015, was given a new six-year judicial term on Tuesday.

Although Persky was up for re-election on Tuesday, voting was canceled because he had no challengers, according to USA Today.

Protein

Banned
I wonder how many minorities that judge sentenced to life for lesser crimes. May he lose everything and die with shame.

Garlador

Those people were asked to write statements of character and they did. I think they are fucking shitty people but none of that would even matter if the judge did his damn job from the jump. The sentencing is a fucking insulting joke. Yes I'm pissed the fuck off about it.

But people are trying to have it both ways. If you want the guy to rot in prison and live a shell of a life you are free to that. That's what I want. But if you have 0 desire to exercise any mercy on the dude then you can't also expect him to sit there and dig his own grave in court for people who dont give a shit about him.

I just find the indictment of character because he isn't taking responsibility innane. If he took full responsibility he prob isn't getting 6 months. We know his charcter is disgusting because he raped someone. But his court statement? Again, is it a winning court strategy to admit to everythimg and shit on your owm character? Would anyine here suggest that?

There needs to be serious changes to the legal system. How the hell do you get 6 months for this?

Ok, you do make a good point. I agree.

Well, by getting only 6 months he played the right game for this judge. His lawyer might know what works in front of this judge and what doesn't.

I guess I'm just trying to make the point that sometimes owning up to one's actions can be helpful even in serious crimes like this. At least after a conviction.

Fyi, after seeing what this guy looks like....... oh boy. He's not going to have a easy 6 months.

The Judge's position was up for re-election yesterday, but had no challengers, so his judicial term was renewed for 6 years by default.

People: "Judge Who Sentenced Stanford Rapist to 6 Months in Prison Gets New 6-Year Term"

The whole thing is so outrageous. Like what else do you need to do to make a rape case? Why does it even matter when the judge can just ignore everything and hop to his "boys will be boys" sentence.

Ok, you do make a good point. I agree.

I just want to make it clear that fuck that guy and I hope he is a social outcast forever. But its.court, its not reasonable to expect the dude and his lawyer/corner to do shit that is pure court crazy simply because it would make me happy.

He sounds like he's setting himself up as some sort of tragic hero. "Alcohol consumption and party culture may have ruined me, but I will fight on to ensure it happens to no one else!"

If he truly regrets his actions, he'll reject the judge's leniency (is that possible?) and serve out a full sentence commensurate with his crimes.

C'mon son on the bolded.

And I'm telling you, there is something with Drug/Alcohol consumption and party culture/acting wild that enables these type of scenarios where consent/lack of consent gets really really muddled. Probably not in this specific case, but I always feel people who don't routinely go clubbing or partying wouldn't really understand.

Fyi, after seeing what this guy looks like....... oh boy. He's not going to have a easy 6 months.

If I'm not mistaken, less than a year keeps you in county jail (relatively safe), while more than a year puts you in state prison.

shoplifter

And I'm telling you, there is something with Drug/Alcohol consumption and party culture/acting wild that enables these type of scenarios where consent/lack of consent gets really really muddled. Probably not in this specific case, but I always feel people who don't routinely go clubbing or partying wouldn't really understand.

In cases like that both parties should be behind bars, as they've effectively raped each other.

I dont think that accepting responsibility or not had that much to do with his sentencing. He's got privileges.

I think given how that statement was worded, he and his lawyer played that angle up all trial.

I mean he's privilqged as hell, white athlete, well off family, family and friends all into victim blaming, but you also have to craft a narrative of epic proportiins to get outta that shit.

If his statement was that abrasive to read, can you imagine how the trial was?

Is he going to be moved to a prison? If he's still going to be in a local jail, he'll be fine.

Depends on the jail.

Some are worse, some are better. It varies wildly even in the same state. Either way he's now probably going to be a "celebrity " wherever he goes and have to watch his back from some guy wanting to be the guy that fucks him up to make a name for himself.

Edit: I worked in AZ so I knew a lot of guys that spent time in sheriff joe arpaio jail. They preferred our accommodations over his. Lol

Teletraan1

Banned
He is about to be severely anally impacted. I am not wishing this on him, it is a fact. My only wish is that it was for a much longer time.

Fuck that judge.

Well, by getting only 6 months he played the right game for this judge. His lawyer might know what works in front of this judge and what doesn't.

I guess I'm just trying to make the point that sometimes owning up to one's actions can be helpful even in serious crimes like this. At least after a conviction.

He gets to stay in a country prison. This sentence iw so unbelievable. This should be a slam dunk conviction. You have witnesses literally rattled at what they saw that had to stop he guy from tryinf to dip. Its outside behind a dumpster. The girl is unconscious.

How does a judge go "well lets not be too hard on the boy" and that's just it? It seems like when it comes to rape judges feel anything goes. Its absurd.

Tigress

No they wouldn't. There is no dimension where people being harsh on the guy are gonna suddenly feel for him if he went "I'm rapist horrible person"

I can't grasp why anyone is pushing that narrative. Its not true. I don't give a shit if the guy gave an hour long heartfelt apology, dude is a rapist and need to hit jail for the next 15 years then live with the consequences when he gets out.

As long as that reality exists why is he gonna go to court where he is trying to salvage his life and just be like "yeah I did it. It was all me"? Does that sound like a winning court strategy to anyone here?

No one answered me from before. If we are all on the page that rape is black and white fuck this guy, why are we also expexting him to toss aside his well being to appease us?

I would prefer the courts do there job properly. Not sympathize with this asshole. But him trying to preserve himself. I dont hold that against him.

Look, I'm saying the people on here who is calling for his entire life to be ruined and miserable... I think he wouldn't be getting so much anger now if he actually acted repentant. You'd see more people saying he should serve his time but he shouldn't have his whole life ruined.

The sentence should be harsher regardless, I agree with that. But I would be more willing to entertain a lighter sentence (not the one he got) if he at least seemed like he was repentant and at least realized what he did wrong (in other words I wouldn't want to see his life completely ruined). And I'm betting in a court that was working properly (as in not giving him a light sentence cause obviously the judge doesn't even see what he did wrong) it might have helped get him a lighter sentence than if he was unrepentant (this is after he is already found guilty, I realize that before found guilty that in self interest yes, he'd not get off lighter than if he claimed he didn't do it). I realize what happened is none of that. He got a super light sentence for even if he at least acted repentant and even worse he still thinks he did nothing wrong (which is why people are infuriated and want to see his life ruined. Justice isn't done and he didn't learn damned thing on top of it).

And that's why I think you get more people who really want to see him burn at this point. Justice was not done and he didn't even learn anything from it on top of that!

I fully admit I could not care less if his life is ruined. My opinion might change if he was truly repentant but since he's not, fuck him. Let him rot until he gets an epiphany (or rot for the rest of his life if he doesn't).

I dont think that accepting responsibility or not had that much to do with his sentencing. He's got privileges.

Well yeah... I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about the reactions he's getting from the internet that rightfully want to see him getting worse. I was arguing against a person who said that they found it disgusting people wanted his whole life ruined. I was explaining why people are feeling that way.

In cases like that both parties should be behind bars, as they've effectively raped each other.

Get out of here with that shit. She was unconcious. One party didn't have a choice, she was out cold. That's plain old rape, there is no grey area at all in that scenario. None . Notta. Not one tiny little bit. She had no way of saying no (or yes). That is rape. She was unwilling as she was in absolutely no way not even arguable capable of consenting. If you don't understand that.. well you're just as bad as everyone defending the guy as "just a bit of action", "it's the drinking that is the problem, not the guy" etc etc.

He gets to stay in a country prison. This sentence iw so unbelievable. This should be a slam dunk conviction. You have witnesses literally rattled at what they saw that had to stop he guy from tryinf to dip. Its outside behind a dumpster. The girl is unconscious.

How does a judge go "well lets not be too hard on the boy" and that's just it? It seems like when it comes to rape judges feel anything goes. Its absurd.

You are right. It's why I got burnt out of that whole line of work. I saw enough shit in those few years to lose some of my faith in humanity. There isn't enough justice in the justice system.

Get out of here with that shit. She was unconcious. One party didn't have a choice, she was out cold. That's plain old rape, there is no grey area at all in that scenario. None . Notta. Not one tiny little bit. She had no way of saying no (or yes). That is rape. She was unwilling as she was in absolutely no way not even arguable capable of consenting. If you don't understand that.. well you're just as bad as everyone defending the guy as "just a bit of action", "it's the drinking that is the problem, not the guy" etc etc.

Man, I swear some of ya'll are so ready to be righteous that you completely miss the context of his post. Here's a hint, he wasn't talking about this case.

shoplifter

Did you read what I responded to? This case seems pretty clear cut. I'm not cool with all of the people wishing for him to get raped or killed, but he will do his time, whether one agrees with the sentence or not.

I'm referring to cases where both parties are intoxicated and not unconscious. In those instances *no one* can give consent, and both parties should be charged.

*sigh* There really needs to be SOME way to hold judges accountable.

On a similar note, a co-worker just showed me this video, and I hope more people can realize what the hell "CONSENT" means in regards to sex....
Sex is like Tea

Saw this at work awhile ago. It's a very easy and light hearted way to describe consent. It also highlights how ridiculous the idea of being entitled to sex is. Should be mandatory viewing in high schools maybe even middle school.

Did you read what I responded to? This case seems pretty clear cut. I'm not cool with all of the people wishing for him to get raped or killed, but he will do his time, whether one agrees with the sentence or not.

I'm referring to cases where both parties are intoxicated and not unconscious. In those instances *no one* can give consent, and both parties should be charged.

How about neither. What's wrong with two adults getting drunk having sex and the next day going "Well that wasn't a great idea" and moving on. Unless one or the other feels victimized of course.

You are right. It's why I got burnt out of that whole line of work. I saw enough shit in those few years to lose some of my faith in humanity. There isn't enough justice in the justice system.

Makes me just a combo of sad and furious. It's literally unfair this guy get this light sentence, the girl and all her family get basically no closure and yet there are people out there charged with fucking weed possession rotting behind bars for half a decade who werent shown a fraction of the mercy.

I dont blame you for getting out man. I thought about law at a point. I cant.

shoplifter

How about neither. What's wrong with two adults getting drunk having sex and the next day going "Well that wasn't a great idea" and moving on. Unless one ir the other feels victimized of course.

If you can't legally give consent, you can't give consent. No consent = rape.

*sigh* There really needs to be SOME way to hold judges accountable.

On a similar note, a co-worker just showed me this video, and I hope more people can realize what the hell "CONSENT" means in regards to sex....
Sex is like Tea

Ok, this is a very good video, the biggest flaw with it is most people don't ask other people if they can have sex. It just happens when people read other people's body language or not, and act on it, and only pull back if he/she makes it known the advance is unwanted; now throw drugs/alcohol into the picture and the line can get real murky.

shoplifter

Ok, this is a very good video, the biggest flaw with it is most people don't ask other people if they can have sex. It just happens when people read other people's body language or not, and act on it, and only pull back if he/she makes it known the advance is unwanted; now throw drugs/alcohol into the picture and the line can get real murky.

^ That. Once someone is intoxicated, it doesn't matter if you ask them and they say yes. They can't give consent.

If you can't legally give consent, you can't give consent. No consent = rape.

They would both have to press charges though. You think if two people that get drunk and they should both be charged and then be registered sex offenders. Who is going to charge them and how? Flawed logic if you ask me.

shoplifter

How can you argue that one party consented and one didn't? Neither can legally consent. I will grant you that this could only generally apply in cases where only the two involved parties are witnesses.

edit: for that matter, what's stopping someone from counter claiming that they were raped in this manner once accused?

How can you argue that one party consented and one didn't? Neither can legally consent. I will grant you that this could only generally apply in cases where only the two involved parties are witnesses.

edit: for that matter, what's stopping someone from counter claiming that they were raped in this manner once accused?

I'm not arguing that. That's why I said IF one feels victimised then it's different. So to get this straight. You are saying that if two people get drunk and one says they were raped, than both should be charged? Like I kind of see what your saying, but it still doesn't make sense unless both parties go to the cops at the same time and files charges.

Brakke

Banned
This whole "but what if they're both drunk" aside is totally off-topic. Y'all should consider making a new thread if you wanna dig into that subject.

This whole "but what if they're both drunk" aside is totally off-topic. Y'all should consider making a new thread if you wanna dig into that subject.

It's the argument they were using for his defense. However I'm all for a topic discussing it further, if somebody is willing to make it.

shoplifter

^^^ fair enough, sorry was writing up my post when the two above posts went down. But yes, in this case, Mr. Turner says the victim consented unless I'm mistaken. These particular circumstances would indicate that either that wasn't the case or they both drunkenly went behind the dumpster intending to have sex and she passed out during/leading up to the act, not remembering what happened later. I'm not going to attempt to decide which, that was the job of the court to determine.

It legally doesn't really matter if someone doesn't *feel* victimized. Consent is consent, and it can't be given when intoxicated.

Am I really seriously advocating for this? Probably not. It's completely draconian and at odds with the thousands of years that people have been getting drunk and having sex, but if the problem is bad enough, it might be the only way to actually get a handle on the situation. We can't continue to put the responsibility of drunken regret sex on only one of the parties, which happens way too often.

I want to be absolutely clear that I'm not talking about 'one party is passed out'. I realize this is a touchy subject.

\/\/\/ it doesn't matter what their gender/sex/preference is.

I'm done with it. It's stupid. It feels like the old.

"Well if a guy and a girl have sex and they're both drunk and she cries rape. She should get charged with rape too, because the guy was drunk too."

It's not worth discussing. Except maybe in a case by case basis and this incident isn't one where it's a factor.

I want to be absolutely clear that I'm not talking about 'one party is passed out'. I realize this is a touchy subject.

Until the courts actually develop good law and practice in handling rape this isn't going to change. Its a touchy subject. One I personally wont touch with a 10 ft pole in discussiion because it never goes anywhere.

Pray the law makers smarten up. Or some young blood gets on the bench.

Fusebox

Banned

l

Maybe at douchey frat parties but my scene has been getting high and blind and sexed up for decades and guess what, no raping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom