• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapist gets 6 months because prison sentence would have a severe impact on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Banned
Check out this story -- band's drummer writes to judge defending Brock's character during trial, band comes to Brooklyn, all of band's appearances get cancelled after outcry: http://gothamist.com/2016/06/07/stanford_rapist_good_english.php

I hope this devastates the guy more, look what your actions did, you fucked over a childhood friend, fucked her band over, she's probably gonna get kicked out of the band and the band's name has forever been tarnished, that's 3 more women his actions have completely ruined.

Un-fucking-believeable.
Check out this story -- band's drummer writes to judge defending Brock's character during trial, band comes to Brooklyn, all of band's appearances get cancelled after outcry: http://gothamist.com/2016/06/07/stanford_rapist_good_english.php
Good. I feel sorry for the other two sisters but fuck that. And you would think a girl band would empathize with the victim, no?

nel e nel

20160607_010820_brock_turner_arrest_mug_list.jpg

vs

brock02.jpg

With the exception of Pokemon and Brock Peters, a simple search for 'Brock' yields all white guys.

Un-fucking-believeable.

Good. I feel sorry for the other two sisters but fuck that. And you would think a girl band would empathize with the victim, no?

Nah don't feel sorry for them. You really think those sisters don't share similar points of views? Hell the other 2 could have spoken out in disagreement while still saying they are being respectful to their other sister's opinion.

They are all in the same sphere of influence and yet two out of the three remained quiet when the sister pulled this stunt? Silence is an action.

Fucking excellent. That letter she wrote was disgusting, I'm so tired of seeing people bend over backwards to defend rapists and shift blame onto victims.
Where the link to her letter? I missed it if it was posted in the thread. I've only seen links to Rapist Brock father's letter and the victims letter.
Nah don't feel sorry for them. You really think those sisters don't share similar points of views? Hell the other 2 could have spoken out in disagreement while still saying they are being respectful to their other sister's opinion.
Can't really make that assumption. We know the drummer girl defended the guy but we don't know where the other two stand or who even knows if they knew the guy as well or knew drummer girl wrote the letter. Just saying, not applying one's view to others, I don't know what they think. They might be totally kicking drummer girl's ass right now for losing them tour bookings and revenue.

Brakke

Banned
Punishment should just be preventive and rehabilitative.

The wrinkle to this is that a lot of crimes aren't successfully prosecuted. So for a punishment to be "preventative", there's an expected value issue: i.e. the punishment needs to be harsh enough to discourage an action even if the potential perpetrator reasonably expects not to be caught.

Of course, we could solve this expected value problem from the other side, and successfully prosecute everyone who commits the crime. Certainly rape (especially "date rape" or situations like this where some observer like in the letter above might refer to it as not "real" rape) is a bad situation where rapists are both unlikely to be prosecuted successfully *and also* are unlikely to face severe punishments. So the penal code is probably doing a terrible job of discouraging rape.

Where the link to her letter? I missed it if it was posted in the thread. I've only seen links to Rapist Brock father's letter and the victims letter.

It's linked in the first paragraph of the story you quoted. But it's also here: http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/06/brock-turners-friend-pens-letter-of-support.html

Can't really make that assumption. We know the drummer girl defended the guy but we don't know where the other two stand or who even knows if they knew the guy as well or knew drummer girl wrote the letter. Just saying, not applying one's view to others, I don't know what they think. They might be totally kicking drummer girl's ass right now for losing them tour bookings and revenue.

Being silent is still an action. If I am 33% of the face of an organization and another co-owner is saying something that I disagree with and that I think is disgusting I will speak up to let others know that not everyone in the organization thinks like that.

They are all in the same sphere of influence and yet two out of the three remained quiet when the sister pulled this stunt? Silence is an action.

There is nothing to say they even knew a letter was written and sent. Actions have consequences that affect other people so I am not shedding mad tears or anything for them but that is entirely different than the assumption they were in on it and agreed. We don't know that. No point assuming.

And despite silence being an action in this case there is about a dozen reasons I can think of as to why the stfu and didmt say anything.

Thanks.

That is a terrible letter. It's the same "they're just drunk and having conceptual sex" trope everyone uses to minimize sexual assault. It's disgusting.
It's linked in the first paragraph of the story you quoted. But it's also here: http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/06/brock-turners-friend-pens-letter-of-support.html
Yeah, I noticed. I hadn't scrolled down the whole way.

Being silent is still an action. If I am 33% of the face of an organization and another co-owner is saying something that I disagree with and that I think is disgusting I will speak up to let others know that not everyone in the organization thinks like that.
Their shows just got cancelled. Let's see what they do. Even if they don't condone or cosign what drummer girl wrote in the letter, they're still in a tough position given that she is their sister.

Kensuke

Just read her full letter. A little weird to say this, but it's a riveting piece of writing. She eloquently communicates her pain and the whole harrowing process of being a rape victim. She's a hero for writing that. And Brock Turner is one infuriating piece of shit.

This is completely different from a woman getting kidnapped and raped as she is walking to her car in a parking lot. That is a rapist. These are not rapists. These are idiot boys and girls having too much to drink and not being aware of their surroundings and having clouded judgement.

Regardless of the outrage, I do think the majority of people would think there's a distinction between the two, and still agree the sentencing was too lenient. As fucked up as it sounds, that sex behind a dumpster sounds like some toxic masculine Frat or College Bro ritual. Which segueways into a broader issue that's not discussed nearly enough which is rampant on college campuses, clubs, house parties, social get togethers all over where drugs and alcohol are encouraged. And that's the sexual behavior that occurs between either one or two self drug induced mentally impaired people, the line between consent and no consent get's real murky. I've partied for over 20 years, and have been witness to such questionable situations ALL THE TIME.

This lines up with most violent crime. There is an important difference, though. Only 3% go to trial, because a plea bargain is reached or acquittal or charges are dropped. I can accept that reality, and I certainly don't want somebody who isn't deemed guilty to have any sort of jail time. What would be more telling is how this guy stacks up against other jury convictions.

pj

Banned
Man, I've seen murderers get kinder reactions on facebook than this guy.

"Everyone read this. Everyone learn of Brock Turner - memorize his face and name - and be sure that he never gets a job, a car, a house, a loan, or his favorite fucking snacks."

Quote from my feed. I can't say anything of course because I'd get blacklisted from society, but really? He should never have a job or a car again? Wouldn't it be easier to just kill him then?

Kenstar

"Everyone read this. Everyone learn of Brock Turner - memorize his face and name - and be sure that he never gets a job, a car, a house, a loan, or his favorite fucking snacks."

Quote from my feed. I can't say anything of course because I'd get blacklisted from society, but really? He should never have a job or a car again? Wouldn't it be easier to just kill him then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyQrh2GpT-g&feature=youtu.be&t=1m10s

He raped a defenseless chick, tried to run away, got caught, and then tried to blame the whole thing on her in court. Fuck this dude.

Read her letter. You'll see why that post was on your feed.

Wazzy

Banned

He isn't remorseful. He has his shitty father defending him. This guy deserves nothing.

There's a comment on Kotaku about how we shouldn't forget that it was brave men that stopped this rape. That these men are heroes to the patriarchy.

Like wtf.

..... did she seriously write "I believe he was rightfully convicted of rape" right after she had gone ON RECORD as saying that not all those who rape are rapists?

pj

Banned
He raped a defenseless chick, tried to run away, got caught, and then tried to blame the whole thing on her in court. Fuck this dude.

And? He should be killed for it or what? I believe he should get a much longer jail sentence but wanting his life to effectively end helps nobody. This is the mentality that gave us the death penalty and 3 strikes laws.

Read her letter. You'll see why that post was on your feed.

I have read it. He should be jailed and hopefully get counseling or whatever to become a real human being, but it's nuts to want to put him on a horse and slap it in the direction of a big desert.

And? He should be killed for it or what? I believe he should get a much longer jail sentence but wanting his life to effectively end helps nobody. This is the mentality that gave us the death penalty and 3 strikes laws.

I have read it. He should be jailed and hopefully get counseling or whatever to become a real human being, but it's nuts to want to put him on a horse and slap it in the direction of a big desert.
Why are you taking opinions to ridiculous conclusions?

This dude's a piece a shit and everyone knows now. That's how media works. They report news, and people then know things. If people don't want to give this pile of garbage his favorite snacks if he's seen in person, that's exercising their freedoms. If you want to have his back, feel free.

Well, that Facebook post is gone as is the entire Good English band Facebook page. Not that it's surprising as it was clear that she still didn't get it. She talks about being asked to write a character witness for this rapist, but somehow her character witness had to include commentary of the victim. And the new post is still making excuses. And the "apology" only came after her band started getting gigs cancelled.

I don't think it's fair to base the fate of the next ten + years of his life on the decision of a girl who doesn't remember anything but the amount she drank to press charges against him...where do we draw the line and stop worrying about being politically correct every second of the day and see that rape on campuses isn't always because people are rapists.

where do we draw the line and stop worrying about being politically correct every second of the day and see that rape on campuses isn't always because people are rapists.

rape on campuses isn't always because people are rapists.

What the fuck am I reading? Rapists are EXACTLY who rape... that is the definition.

Yeah, this is PC issue... What does she expect the girl to say? Oh I'm sorry for being so sensitive that a felony was committed against me, because that's annoying to you, that means the felony wasn't committed. Ok.

This is completely different from a woman getting kidnapped and raped as she is walking to her car in a parking lot. That is a rapist. These are not rapists. These are idiot boys and girls having too much to drink and not being aware of their surroundings and having clouded judgement.
Regardless of the outrage, I do think the majority of people would think there's a distinction between the two, and still agree the sentencing was too lenient. As fucked up as it sounds, that sex behind a dumpster sounds like some toxic masculine Frat or College Bro ritual. Which segueways into a broader issue that's not discussed nearly enough which is rampant on college campuses, clubs, house parties, social get togethers all over where drugs and alcohol are encouraged. And that's the sexual behavior that occurs between either one or two self drug induced mentally impaired people, the line between consent and no consent get's real murky. I've partied for over 20 years, and have been witness to such questionable situations ALL THE TIME.

You're an awful person and so is the shitlord who wrote that quote.

Well, that Facebook post is gone as is the entire Good English band Facebook page. Not that it's surprising as it was clear that she still didn't get it. She talks about being asked to write a character witness for this rapist, but somehow her character witness had to include commentary of the victim. And the new post is still making excuses. And the "apology" only came after her band started getting gigs cancelled.

The facebook page is so gone I can't even see the screengrab of it in the article. Now I'm really curious what stunning things she had to say.

Sianos

Brock's friend whines about political correctness... as a segue into a complaint that it isn't politically correct to use the term rapist to describe people who commit the heinous crime of rape. Because then people would think that he committed rape!

Jesus, the other two members must be ready to kick her out.

The facebook page is so gone I can't even see the screengrab of it in the article. Now I'm really curious what stunning things she had to say.

In a nutshell she displayed as much intelligence on the subject as Donald Trump on judges of Mexican heritage.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Brock's friend whines about political correctness... as a segue into a complaint that it isn't politically correct to use the term rapist to describe people who commit the heinous crime of rape. Because then people would think that he committed rape!

You know the complaining about PCness has become so utterly meaningless when it's now applied to when people call rapists, rapists...

You didn't say anything about him being killed in your previous post though. No one said anything about him dying.

Here it is

Two months ago, I was asked to write a character statement for use in the sentencing phase of Brock Turner’s trial. Per the request of the court, I was asked to write this statement in an effort to shed light on Brock’s character as I knew it to be during my childhood, adolescence and young adulthood when I interacted with him as a classmate and friend. I felt confident in my ability to share my straightforward opinion of him and how I knew him. I also felt compelled to share my deep concern over the misuse of alcohol that was a well-established contributor in this case. Beyond sharing my personal experience with Brock, I made an appeal to the judge to consider the effect that alcohol played in this tragedy.

I understand that this appeal has now provided an opportunity for people to misconstrue my ideas into a distortion that suggests I sympathize with sex offenses and those who commit them or that I blame the victim involved. Nothing could be farther from the truth, and I apologize for anything my statement has done to suggest that I don’t feel enormous sympathy for the victim and her suffering.

Perhaps I should have included in my statement the following ideas that explain my perspective on the complexities of what may have happened. As a young female musician who has spent years (since I was in fourth grade) performing as a drummer in live music venues, clubs, and bars with my two sisters, I have had the unique opportunity to observe over 10 years of public American drinking culture and the problems that invariably arise through alcohol misuse. I have watched friends, acquaintances and complete strangers transform before my eyes over the course of sometimes very short periods of time, into people I could barely recognize as a result of alcohol over-consumption. I am currently 20 years old. I have made these observations through sober eyes. I have been repeatedly reminded by my family and coached by police to hold my personal sobriety closely and seriously because of the industry I work in and the risks to my own life that I could face as a young woman playing regularly in venues across the country where alcohol is served.

Additionally, I have grown up and currently reside in a university town that is affected every year by the tragic consequences resulting from undergraduate students’ excessive enthusiasm for binge drinking. Student arrests, violence, injuries, and sexual assaults occur with some regularity, and I have often wondered why this culture continues to thrive seemingly unquestioned and unchecked.

There is nothing more sad than the unnecessary, destructive and enormous toll that overuse, misuse and abuse of alcohol and drugs play in people’s lives, and I don’t think my effort to point this out in confidence to a judge while commenting on Brock Turner’s character, as the sober person I knew him to be, was an irresponsible or reckless decision. Unfortunately, due to the overzealous nature of social media and the lack of confidence and privacy in which my letter to the judge was held, I am now thrust into the public eye to defend my position on this matter in the court of public opinion. Now, my choices to defer college to write and play music, to finally introduce 10 years of hard work to a national audience while working consistently and intentionally on my own personal and professional integrity, has led to an uproar of judgement and hatred unleashed on me, my band and my family.

I know that Brock Turner was tried and rightfully convicted of sexual assault. I realize that this crime caused enormous pain for the victim. I don’t condone, support, or sympathize with the offense or the offender. I was asked by a court in California to provide a character statement as a standard and necessary part of the sentencing process. I believe that Brock’s character was seriously affected by the alcohol he consumed, and I felt that the court needed to consider this issue during their sentencing deliberations.

Dryk

Why are issues of consent so hard for people to grasp? The definition is basically standardised across all sorts of consent. Medical, legal, sexual, whatever.

You have given informed consent if you:
- have capacity to give informed consent (agreement) to the treatment proposed
- have been given adequate information to make a decision
- have been given a reasonable opportunity (time) to make the decision
- are able to consent freely, without pressure by anyone, and
- you have not withdrawn your consent or suggested you intend to withdraw consent.

If you get blackout drunk and wake up with no kidneys and a contract placing you into indentured servitude nobody would throw you under the bus this hard. Oh who am I kidding they would but they'd be just as wrong.

This is the battle you want to fight?

Moosichu

This is the battle you want to fight?

It is a battle worth fighting. What this person did and is still doing makes me sick to my core. But mob justice based on emotional outrage is no justice at all. This case is being handled to lightly.

But research should be continuously done on the best methodology into reducing crimes. If that involves education and rehab in and out of prison, I'm for it if it helps reduce the number of these crimes and therefore the number of victims that have to experience this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom