• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapist gets 6 months because prison sentence would have a severe impact on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baki

It is a battle worth fighting. What this person did and is still doing makes me sick to my core. But mob justice based on emotional outrage is no justice at all. This case is being handled to lightly.

But research should be continuously done on the best methodology into reducing crimes. If that involves education and rehab in and out of prison, I'm for it if it helps reduce the number of these crimes and therefore the number of victims that have to experience this.

He's not getting rehab or any punishment. Please remember that. The justice system failed.

The guy is a cunt and him not getting any loans or cars or whatever meaningless shit is what he fucking deserves. He ruined the girl for the rest of his life, so I'm quite happy with him living with the consequences for the rest of his life.

He's an unapologetic cunt. And him being refused on things isn't like the death penalty. Stop with the false equivalency.

I hope this cunt lives a miserable existence.

Baki

14 years would have been too harsh but 6 (3) months is a bit of a joke. The reasoning for light sentence is absurd.

14 years isn't harsh. Good behaviour gets him out in 8.

He's scarred her for life. You can't really put a cap on how long he belongs behind bars....

ScribbleD

It's so hard to believe that a non-trivial portion of society still tries to put the onus on victims to not get raped instead of telling the rapists not to commit a heinous crime.

Zakalwe

Banned
I think it says a lot about a society that shows compassion to the worst of us.

I'm not sure we need compassion here, but we absolutely need the willingness to re-educate more than revile.

What this kid did was horrific, and unless we find a way to teach people like this then nothing's going to change.

We need to make sure our children understand, that will be the driving force, but if people like Brock make it through their punishments without learning what they did was wrong they might have children of their own one day and pass it along.

berzeli

Banned
Oh for fucks sake. I keep thinking that it cannot get more vile.
Brock Turner's statement blames sexual assault on Stanford ‘party culture’
The letter from the former swimmer offers a close look at the many ways Turner has refused to even acknowledge that he assaulted the woman, despite the guilty verdicts, and has instead continued to place blame on a “party culture” of “drinking”.

Although the victim and the prosecutor raised concerns about Turner’s hollow apology and his continued unwillingness to admit that he committed an assault – despite overwhelming evidence that the woman was unconscious – the judge said this should not count against him at sentencing.

“I take him at his word that subjectively that’s his version of his events,” Persky said. “I’m not convinced that his lack of complete acquiescence to the verdict should count against him.”
Nice going judge.

And an excerpt from the letter Brock wrote:
I want to take what I can from who I was before this situation happened and use it to the best of my abilities moving forward. I know I can show people who were like me the dangers of assuming what college life can be like without thinking about the consequences one would potentially have to make if one were to make the same decisions that I made. I want to show that people’s lives can be destroyed by drinking and making poor decisions while doing so. One needs to recognize the influence that peer pressure and the attitude of having to fit in can have on someone. One decision has the potential to change your entire life. I know I can impact and change people’s attitudes towards the culture surrounded by binge drinking and sexual promiscuity that protrudes through what people think is at the core of being a college student. I want to demolish the assumption that drinking and partying are what make up a college lifestyle I made a mistake, I drank too much, and my decisions hurt someone. But I never ever meant to intentionally hurt [redacted]. My poor decision making and excessive drinking hurt someone that night and I wish I could just take it all back.
You didn't "make a mistake". You raped someone.

Fucking hell. The letter makes it abundantly clear that the shithead is nowhere near owning up what he has done. Six months is not going to change that unfortunately.

Go read the entire thing at The Guardian and then try to avoid punching something.

Nice going judge.

Fucking hell. The letter makes it abundantly clear that the shithead is nowhere near owning up what he has done. Six months is not going to change that unfortunately.

Go read the entire thing at The Guardian and then try to avoid punching something.

College made him drink. College made him rape. None of it was his fault!

Also, I'm sure it's been discussed, but that judge is a total piece of shit too. If you're incapable of handing out appropriate sentences then you shouldn't be sitting in that chair.

EDIT - I've just read the whole statement, and he really does go around the houses on blaming everything but himself:

Culture of binge-drinking
Peer pressure
College life
Sexual promiscuity in students
"I drank too much, and my decisions hurt someone"
Party culture (have we done this one already?)
Risk-taking behaviour
"I’ve lost employment opportunity, my reputation and most of all, my life." - the poor darling! :(

We could almost do some sort of buzzword bingo based on his response. All it's missing is personal trauma due to a family member who's died.

pj

Banned
You didn't say anything about him being killed in your previous post though. No one said anything about him dying.

I think it's pretty obvious what I meant. People want him to be denied employment, friendships, relationships, happiness, etc for the rest of his life. Obviously that won't happen because people will forget about this in a few years just like they forget about everything, plus he will look different as he finishes maturing, and he could even move abroad. BUT, what some people are asking for is effectively ending his life. A life sentence to be carried out in his parents' basement.

I think it's pretty obvious what I meant. People want him to be denied employment, friendships, relationships, happiness, etc for the rest of his life. Obviously that won't happen because people will forget about this in a few years just like they forget about everything, plus he will look different as he finishes maturing, and he could even move abroad. BUT, what some people are asking for is effectively ending his life. A life sentence to be carried out in his parents' basement.
He's a rapist and can't even admit to it. Why wouldn't people want him to be effectively cut from decent society? How should we treat him?

He's a rapist and can't even admit to it. Why wouldn't people want him to be effectively cut from decent society? How should we treat him?

The dude is a piece of shit who I have zero pity for and have no issue with him living a shell of a life. That said, I dont know what pepple's problem with him not going "I raped her, I'm a rapist'". He is trying to salvage any chance of his life havimg some meaning. Its a fucking trial, why is he going to come out and admit point blank he raped her? Who im their right mind is going to do that shit?

I don't agree with the guy who you were responding to but people's criticism of the guy refusing to admit "naw its all me I'm a piece shit" is like the ultimate ignorance of self defense mechanism. Seriously ask yourself, what benefit would that have on him? If society is ready to say fuck you outcast (which I'm totally on this boat) why exactly should he admit to anything?

Amory

Nice going judge.

Hate to be in the position of saying anything in this person's defense, but he spends a good long while at the beginning of his letter owning up to what he did.

I am the sole proprietor of what happened on the night that these people’s lives were changed forever. I would give anything to change what happened that night. I can never forgive myself for imposing trauma and pain on [redacted]. It debilitates me to think that my actions have caused her emotional and physical stress that is completely unwarranted and unfair. The thought of this is in my head every second of every day since this event has occurred. These ideas never leave my mind.

berzeli

Banned
Hate to be in the position of saying anything in this person's defense, but he spends a good long while at the beginning of his letter owning up to what he did.

No he doesn't.

He doesn't once admit that he assaulted her. It's bullshit like "debilitates me to think that my actions have caused her emotional and physical stress". That is not owning up, that's is playing down.

I'm not sure we need compassion here, but we absolutely need the willingness to re-educate more than revile.

What this kid did was horrific, and unless we find a way to teach people like this then nothing's going to change.

We need to make sure our children understand, that will be the driving force, but if people like Brock make it through their punishments without learning what they did was wrong they might have children of their own one day and pass it along.

20 year olds aren't "kids".

Amory

No he doesn't.

He doesn't once admit that he assaulted her. It's bullshit like "debilitates me to think that my actions have caused her emotional and physical stress". That is not owning up, that's is playing down.

You're arguing semantics. "I am the sole proprietor of what happened on the night that these people’s lives were changed forever" is taking responsibility.

Not sure why someone on trial and about to be sentenced for rape would describe what he did in the most explicit detail possible, unless they're as stupid as they are awful

That's all stuff that happens to people who get locked up for non-violent drug offenses. Plus they can't get financial aid to pursue higher education opportunities in most instances, on top of having a longer sentence than this guy had. I don't feel any remorse for this loser.

Meanwhile a 16 year old black football player gets 6 years in prison for a rape he didn't commit.
To everyone else, I think TYT did a good job of putting this minuscule 6-month sentence into perspective.

berzeli

Banned
You're arguing semantics. "I am the sole proprietor of what happened on the night that these people’s lives were changed forever" is taking responsibility.

Not sure why someone on trial and about to be sentenced for rape would describe what he did in the most explicit detail possible, unless they're as stupid as they are awful

No I'm not. Owning up to something you did is acknowledging what you did. He doesn't.
I read everything The Guardian published of his letter and based on it I can not for the life of me see how any rational person would think what he wrote is owning up to it.

He spends the letter looking for excuses for what he did, downplaying what he did, and wallow in self pity. Not owning up to it, not for one second.

No I'm not. Owning up to something you did is acknowledging what you did. He doesn't.
I read everything The Guardian published of his letter and based on it I can not for the life of me see how any rational person would think what he wrote is owning up to it.

He spends the letter looking for excuses for what he did, downplaying what he did, and wallow in self pity. Not owning up to it, not for one second.

Rapist dude said:
"I am the sole proprietor of what happened on the night that these people’s lives were changed forever"

You're free to not believe his excuses and reasoning, but if you truly believe that he didn't try to own up to it for even a second, you're just suffering from the backfire effect, mate.

depths20XX

Wow, this guy is a real piece of shit. If you're blaming college life and peer pressure as your reason for raping someone you're just a shitty person.

Mathieran

Banned
He can use all the excuses he wants, but none of them stick with me. He is a rapist deep down and will likely try again in the future, unless he seeks real help to try to control it. But sadly he is just going to blame alcohol and flirty women for his actions.

Alcohol doesn't make you a rapist. I've been piss drunk, alone with women many times in my life, and the thought never even crossed my mind to do something like that. It's a shitty argument and doesn't hold any water.

Hopefully the fear of further punishment will keep him in line. I would hope next time he wouldn't be so lucky as a repeat offender.

berzeli

Banned
You're free to not believe his excuses and reasoning, but if you truly believe that he didn't try to own up to it for even a second, you're just suffering from the backfire effect, mate.
Thank you for your condescending tone.

I just happen to believe that saying "I am the sole proprietor of what happened on the night" whilst refusing to acknowledge what actually happened is downplaying rather than owning up to it. He spends more time in his letter lamenting his use of alcohol than he does about his use of his penis.

Here is his argument for why he isn't going to cause trouble, please do point out where he talks about sexual assault:
If I were to be placed on probation, I can positively say, without a single shred of doubt in my mind, that I would never have any problem with law enforcement. Before this happened, I never had any trouble with law enforcement and I plan on maintaining that. I’ve been shattered by the party culture and risk taking behavior that I briefly experienced in my four months at school. I’ve lost my chance to swim in the Olympics. I’ve lost my ability to obtain a Stanford degree. I’ve lost employment opportunity, my reputation and most of all, my life. These things force me to never want to put myself in a position where I have to sacrifice everything. I would make it my life’s mission to show everyone that I can contribute and be a positive influence on society from these events that have transpired. I will never put myself through an event where it will give someone the ability to question whether I really can be a betterment to society. I want no one, male or female, to have to experience the destructive consequences of making decisions while under the influence of alcohol. I want to be a voice of reason in a time where people’s attitudes and preconceived notions about partying and drinking have already been established. I want to let young people now, as I did not, that things can go from fun to ruined in just one night.
He doesn't, instead he talks about alcohol and partying. The problem is not that he drank alcohol, the problem is that he raped someone. That is not owning up.

Yet again, I can not see how any rational person can read his letter and think that he is owning up to what he did. He clearly isn't.

Man, I've seen murderers get kinder reactions on facebook than this guy.

"Everyone read this. Everyone learn of Brock Turner - memorize his face and name - and be sure that he never gets a job, a car, a house, a loan, or his favorite fucking snacks."

Quote from my feed. I can't say anything of course because I'd get blacklisted from society, but really? He should never have a job or a car again? Wouldn't it be easier to just kill him then?

Sorry, can't seem to have compassion for a rapist. So no, I don't give two shits about him having a job, house, car or whatever. He's not my focus.

Don't like being ostracized? Then don't go around raping people. The fuck....

It was not a little mistake. Forgetting your cell phone when you go out is a little mistake. Forgetting to pick someone up from the airport is a little mistake. This was a rape. Fuck him.

BriGuy

He sounds like he's setting himself up as some sort of tragic hero. "Alcohol consumption and party culture may have ruined me, but I will fight on to ensure it happens to no one else!"

If he truly regrets his actions, he'll reject the judge's leniency (is that possible?) and serve out a full sentence commensurate with his crimes.

It is a battle worth fighting. What this person did and is still doing makes me sick to my core. But mob justice based on emotional outrage is no justice at all. This case is being handled to lightly.

But research should be continuously done on the best methodology into reducing crimes. If that involves education and rehab in and out of prison, I'm for it if it helps reduce the number of these crimes and therefore the number of victims that have to experience this.

Education and rehab? I don't think a 20 year old needs to re-learn that it's not okay to stick your dick in an unconscious woman. He knew it wasn't okay yet did it anyway.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Sorry, can't seem to have compassion for a rapist. So no, I don't give two shits about him having a job, house, car or whatever. He's not my focus.

Don't like being ostracized? Then don't go around raping people. The fuck....

It was not a little mistake. Forgetting your cell phone when you go out is a little mistake. Forgetting to pick someone up from the airport is a little mistake. This was a rape. Fuck him.

Relative to raping someone, yes. To somebody who's been travelling for 37 hours? Not so much.

Full disclosure: I may or may not have forgotten to pick somebody up from the airport.

I still can't believe this sentence and that it cannot be appealed by the prosecutor. Just mind-boggling. Incredible example of the privilege that some have and don't even know it.

You guys are being pretty harsh. I mean weren't you deeply moved and saddened that Brock's dad won't be able to buy him a big rib-eye steak to grill for an entire 6 MONTHS?! Can you imagine????

You're an awful person and so is the shitlord who wrote that quote.

What? I'm an awful person by pointing out the reality, and nobody really addressing it but looking at everything as black or white. It's why you have men defending this guy, because a lot of people also look at rape as a violent, forceful, conscious act due to nobody intelligently talking about everything in between.

What? I'm an awful person by pointing out the reality, and nobody really addressing it but looking at everything as black or white. It's why you have men defending this guy, because a lot of people also look at rape as a violent, forceful, conscious act due to nobody intelligently talking about everything in between.

Every once in a while there are subjects that are kinda black and white and leave little room for nuance. I'd argue that rape is one of those subjects.

Every once in a while there are subjects that are kinda black and white and leave little room for nuance. I'd argue that rape is one of those subjects.

I agree, but I still think the majority of people who think about rape imagine the scenario the boy's father described as rape which is part of the problem.

RS4-

You guys are being pretty harsh. I mean weren't you deeply moved and saddened that Brock's dad won't be able to buy him a big rib-eye steak to grill for an entire 6 MONTHS?! Can you imagine????

Think of all the USA USA chants he'd be missing out on at the Olympics.

Garlador

I agree, but I still think the majority of people who think about rape imagine the scenario the boy's father described as rape which is part of the problem.

What did John Oliver say?

"It's like boxing. If both of you don't consent to it, one of you is committing a felony crime."

What did John Oliver say?

"It's like boxing. If both of you don't consent to it, one of you is committing a felony crime."

It makes perfect sense, and I agree, but I don't think it's talked about enough. Not the disgusting sex with an unconscious body behind a dumpster. But the both parties being drunk/on drugs and nobody remembering what happened the next day type of sex, and somebody feeling violated afterwards.

Brakke

Banned

That scenario was described by his childhood friend, that Leslie Whatever, not the father. The father's letter doesn't really speak to the crime at all (except that "20 minutes of action" but everybody quotes).

That scenario was described by his childhood friend, that Leslie Whatever, not the father. The father's letter doesn't really speak to the crime at all (except that "20 minutes of action" but everybody quotes).

Oh, my bad. Despite the obvious defending of his friend, I just wanted to explain why somebody would have that mindset, and I do believe a lot of people, particularly men, share this same mindset on what a rapist is.

"Everyone read this. Everyone learn of Brock Turner - memorize his face and name - and be sure that he never gets a job, a car, a house, a loan, or his favorite fucking snacks."

Quote from my feed. I can't say anything of course because I'd get blacklisted from society, but really? He should never have a job or a car again? Wouldn't it be easier to just kill him then?

Well there are people who did time for stealing food because they were hungry not able to get a job or have a life because of that. So why should I care about this piece of shit not being able to have a life for raping someone? Obviously you don't understand the mental issues a woman could have for being raped. I have a mom, wife, a daughter, three sisters, numerous nieces and female cousins. Lord only knows what I would do if they were his victim.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He doesn't own up to it because of the rest of the letter where he spends more time making excuses about drinking and college culture and all that shit. He never admits to sexually assaulting her, he only admits to drinking. That's not "owning up to it" even if he says "I am responsible". He's just saying "yes I am responsible for having been drunk and that was bad". No, fuck off

Tigress

I think people would be kinder on him if he actually acknowledged and seemed truly sorry for his crime and actually seemed to realize what his crime was and what he really did and that it was his fault. Him, his friends, his father, and the judge all being pretty much unrepentant and seeing it as him doing nothing wrong is making people have no sympathy for him. I honestly don't and until he sees what he did wrong I honestly could not care less if he has a good life. Fuck him if he can't play well with others and can't learn how to play well with others.

And people are being extra harsh cause he is getting off almost scott free so the injustice is really bringing out extra vengeance in people cause he's getting off almost scott free.

If the justice system does not do its job well, people tend to start feeling like they have to put it in their own hands. ANd that's never good. Which is one of the reasons for the justice system, to make it so people don't feel like being vigilantes cause they see justice being done. Which this judge failed his job miserably here.

I think people would be kinder on him if he actually acknowledged and seemed truly sorry for his crime and actually seemed to realize what his crime was and what he really did and that it was his fault.

No they wouldn't. There is no dimension where people being harsh on the guy are gonna suddenly feel for him if he went "I'm rapist horrible person"

I can't grasp why anyone is pushing that narrative. Its not true. I don't give a shit if the guy gave an hour long heartfelt apology, dude is a rapist and need to hit jail for the next 15 years then live with the consequences when he gets out.

As long as that reality exists why is he gonna go to court where he is trying to salvage his life and just be like "yeah I did it. It was all me"? Does that sound like a winning court strategy to anyone here?

No one answered me from before. If we are all on the page that rape is black and white fuck this guy, why are we also expexting him to toss aside his well being to appease us?

I would prefer the courts do there job properly. Not sympathize with this asshole. But him trying to preserve himself. I dont hold that against him.

No they wouldn't. There is no dimension where people being harsh on the guy are gonna suddenly feel for him if he went "I'm rapist horrible person"

I can't grasp why anyone is pushing that narrative. Its not true. I don't give a shit if the guy gave an hour long heartfelt apology, dude is a rapist and need to hit jail for the next 15 years then live with the consequences when he gets out.

As long as that reality exists why is he gonna go to court where he is trying to salvage his life and just be like "yeah I did it. It was all me"? Does that sound like a winning court strategy to anyone here?

No one answered me from before. If we are all on the page that rape is black and white fuck this guy, why are we also expexting him to toss aside his well being to appease us?

I would prefer the courts do there job properly. Not sympathize with this asshole. But him trying to preserve himself. I dont hold that against him.

I think people are more upset at his sentence and the people defending him, rather than him defending himself, otherwise I agree with the general gist of your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom