• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapist gets 6 months because prison sentence would have a severe impact on him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe at douchey frat parties but my scene has been getting high and blind and sexed up for decades and guess what, no raping.

Is there alcohol? Because I think alcohol is the worst. And i never claimed there was any raping, just very questionable situations that happen all the time.

mr stroke

Nail on the head
AsOQGjH.png

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
C'mon son on the bolded.

And I'm telling you, there is something with Drug/Alcohol consumption and party culture/acting wild that enables these type of scenarios where consent/lack of consent gets really really muddled. Probably not in this specific case, but I always feel people who don't routinely go clubbing or partying wouldn't really understand.

If I'm not mistaken, less than a year keeps you in county jail (relatively safe), while more than a year puts you in state prison.

There is no grey area.

Find ways to have sex that don't involve plying women with liquor. You wouldn't get a business deal to hold up in court if you plied the counterparty with shots and got them to sign it. Taking home people who have lost cognitive ability is not a gray area.

I managed to party hard from about 16-27 without taking home drunk women.

Maybe if people stopped viewing the sole function of women as sex objects or prizes to acquire and started thinking of them as people with wants (which hey, might include sex! Like, consensual sex!) it would fix a lot of issues. The clubbing culture is filled with horrible rampant sexism and terms like 'mother hen' and 'struck out' because the expectation is men failed without the sex happening and tricking and/or plying women with alcohol is the primary tactic to achieve the sex.

There is no grey area.

Find ways to have sex that don't involve plying women with liquor. You wouldn't get a business deal to hold up in court if you plied the counterparty with shots and got them to sign it. Taking home people who have lost cognitive ability is not a gray area.

I managed to party hard from about 16-27 without taking home drunk women.

Maybe if people stopped viewing the sole function of women as sex objects or prizes to acquire and started thinking of them as people with wants (which hey, might include sex! Like, consensual sex!) it would fix a lot of issues. The clubbing culture is filled with horrible rampant sexism and terms like 'mother hen' and 'struck out' because the expectation is men failed without the sex happening and tricking and/or plying women with alcohol is the primary tactic to achieve the sex.

According to your bolded, I'm not sure if you're saying that's a good or bad thing or merely a neutral statement. So are you saying having a one night stand with a woman you met at a club who's also drunk is wrong in and of itself? What about if you're drunk too?

StoOgE

According to your bolded, I'm not sure if you're saying that's a good or bad thing or merely a neutral statement. So are you saying having a one night stand with a woman you met at a club who's also drunk is wrong in and of itself? What about if you're drunk too?

Well, who is drunker? Did they want the sex before they were drunk? Can they drive? Are they so drunk they arent capable of making a decision? Am I so drunk I'm acting like a fucking idiot and can misread a situation?Do I know if they are coherent or are they black out already? How do they handle their liquor? Did they take that shot because they wanted to have sex or because the 5 other shots clouded her judgement? Am I buying her shots in an attempt to get her drunker so she is more likely to say ok to the sex?

Or, could I maybe go out with friends and have a good time and find ways to have sex where everyone is sober and capable of giving consent?

What you consider a gray area may in fact not have been so gray for the other party, but being drunk you have no idea what the other person wanted and they weren't able to communicate their desires to you. Your drunk hookup may have caused harm to a complete stranger.

It's not worth it.

Well, who is drunker? Did they want the sex before they were drunk? Can they drive? Are they so drunk they arent capable of making a decision? Am I so drunk I'm acting like a fucking idiot and can misread a situation?Do I know if they are coherent or are they black out already? How do they handle their liquor?

Or, could I maybe go out with friends and have a good time and find ways to have sex where everyone is sober and capable of giving consent?

LOL How can I argue against that. Those are sensible questions. I feel like that isn't stressed enough when discussing the interactions that occur and the culture that encourages it at clubs/parties.

StoOgE

LOL How can I argue against that. Those are sensible questions. I feel like that isn't stressed enough when discussing the interactions that occur and the culture that encourages it at clubs/parties.

Yeah, it's a scene with lots of issues. I've had a few friends I had to stop from taking women home BC I was very uncomfortable with the situation, and I was yelled at for cockblocking them.

It's a scene that has commodified sex as the goal for men, and the reality is lots of women go out not intending to have sex that night that then have it with strangers and it's just kind of not a great position to be in.

jaekeem

In my experience, its easy to tell when someone's had too much to drink and should just be left alone.

Yeah.

And personally, I just flat-out don't understand wanting to fuck someone way more intoxicated.

It's just unattractive and feels really wrong. I've had opportunities (my ex would come over after we broke up while wasted, but honestly I just wanted her to go to bed lol) but I'm just not trying to fuck someone if we're on way different levels of drunkenness.

And guys that do go after that one shitfaced girl at closing time (they exist. trust me) are just so predatory. Sure, it's grey under the law, but personally speaking it's just something that I will never, ever understand.

StoOgE

In my experience, its easy to tell when someone's had too much to drink and should just be left alone.

A lot of people outwardly are obviously very innibriated. I'm the opposite. I can be stupid drunk and the only person I've ever met who can tell is my wife.

I've had friends throw me keys when I can barely think straight thinking I could drive home.

So that doesn't always work.

jaekeem

Also, the mentality of getting shitfaced/looking for environments with many shitfaced ppl for the sake of getting laid is just so pathetic.

I guess you have no game when you're sober or are just flat-out unattractive if you have to resort to that kinda garbage.

StoOgE

Yeah.

And personally, I just flat-out don't understand wanting to fuck someone way more intoxicated.

It's just unattractive and feels really wrong. I've had opportunities (my ex would come over after we broke up while wasted, but honestly I just wanted her to go to bed lol) but I'm just not trying to fuck someone if we're on way different levels of drunkenness.

And guys that do go after that one shitfaced girl at closing time (they exist. trust me) are just so predatory. Sure, it's grey under the law, but personally speaking it's just something that I will never, ever understand.

I don't care what you can get out of with the right lawyers, the guys going after super drunk girls are rapists.

jaekeem

I don't care what you can get out of with the right lawyers, the guys going after super drunk girls are rapists.

That's my personal assessment too, but I'm just remarking that the law doesn't necessarily see it that way in case someone responds with "but it's not illegal!".

Yeah, it's a scene with lots of issues. I've had a few friends I had to stop from taking women home BC I was very uncomfortable with the situation, and I was yelled at for cockblocking them.

It's a scene that has commodified sex as the goal for men, and the reality is lots of women go out not intending to have sex that night that then have it with strangers and it's just kind of not a great position to be in.

Exactly.

OMG, I know guys like that, and they call it "clean up" time. I understand why they do it, because those guys feel it's their best opportunity.

LewieP

Alcohol is a social lubricant and it reduces people's inhibitions.

There is a massive difference between two adults being drunk and hooking up and someone being unconscious, unable to walk and another person assuming consent (and that's the most charitable reading of this situation).

If someone is struggling to walk and talk, they can't really give consent. If someone is drunk but is giving (enthusiastic!) consent then there is really no issue. I can see that there is perhaps a grey area in the middle, but it's a very small grey area and any decent person knows not to cross the line.

Demonizing/blaming alcohol is unnecessary, the problem is one of consent.

Zakalwe

Banned
Alcohol is a social lubricant and it reduces people's inhibitions.

There is a massive difference between two adults being drunk and hooking up and someone being unconscious, unable to walk and another person assuming consent (and that's the most charitable reading of this situation).

If someone is struggling to walk and talk, they can't really give consent. If someone is drunk but is giving (enthusiastic!) consent then there is really no issue. I can see that there is perhaps a grey area in the middle, but it's a very small grey area and any decent person knows not to cross the line.

Demonizing/blaming alcohol is unnecessary, the problem is one of consent.

My thoughts exactly.

I've been blind drunk and known to not take things too far, and I've hooked up with girls while moderately intoxicated with both parties having a positive experience.

What of women who do go out intending to get drunk and go home with someone? Have they not a right to enjoy that freedom? I understand the general concern you've tried to highlight in t his thread, but the whole ethos as presented here is quite paternalistic.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
That's my personal assessment too, but I'm just remarking that the law doesn't necessarily see it that way in case someone responds with "but it's not illegal!".

Has someone actually argued that? Because as far as I understand, the law totally says its illegal.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
What of women who do go out intending to get drunk and go home with someone? Have they not a right to enjoy that freedom? I understand the general concern you've tried to highlight in t his thread, but the whole ethos as presented here is quite paternalistic.

I think there was an actual supreme court case in Canada based on a similar premise. The ruling was that a woman cannot consent to intercourse if she is not capable of consent during intercourse. Any prior consent is irrelevant, because the woman needs to have the ability to change her mind.

I don't know if there's a similar precedent in the United States, but I the argument is sound in my eyes. Don't have sex with drunk people.

Least100Seraphs

Neo Member

I mean, sure, I'm not going to say that no woman in the history of women, has ever said, to herself or others "Man, I need to get laid. I am gonna go out tonight, get drunk and go home with some guy, it's just what I need."

That's a thing that has certainly happened.

But, and here's the thing... so what?
It doesn't matter if, 4 hours and 10 drinks earlier, the plan was to get drunk and have sex. That might not be the plan anymore. And even if it is, the guy most likely didn't even know that was the plan. And even if he did know that was the plan, he doesn't know if that's still her plan now. So, whether or not women should be able to have the right to have that freedom doesn't really matter, because practically speaking, there's simply no way that a guy can fulfill that desire in good conscience.

A lot of people outwardly are obviously very innibriated. I'm the opposite. I can be stupid drunk and the only person I've ever met who can tell is my wife.

I've had friends throw me keys when I can barely think straight thinking I could drive home.

So that doesn't always work.

Took me years to actually tell when a cousin of mine was drunk. I was just like "whoa, you are drunk!"

shoplifter

I mean, sure, I'm not going to say that no woman in the history of women, has ever said, to herself or others "Man, I need to get laid. I am gonna go out tonight, get drunk and go home with some guy, it's just what I need."

That's a thing that has certainly happened.

But, and here's the thing... so what?
It doesn't matter if, 4 hours and 10 drinks earlier, the plan was to get drunk and have sex. That might not be the plan anymore. And even if it is, the guy most likely didn't even know that was the plan. And even if he did know that was the plan, he doesn't know if that's still her plan now. So, whether or not women should be able to have the right to have that freedom doesn't really matter, because practically speaking, there's simply no way that a guy can fulfill that desire in good conscience.

Why does the argument always come back to men/women? This is a situation that can be filled by *any* combination of genders. We're assuming that one party is too drunk to consent and the other party isn't drunk enough to know that consent can't be granted. When both parties are drunk, neither can consent, full stop. It's an absolutely asinine, patriarchal argument.

no argument with this. that's textbook predatory behavior.

Least100Seraphs

Neo Member
Why does the argument always come back to men/women? This is a situation that can be filled by *any* combination of genders. We're assuming that one party is too drunk to consent and the other party isn't drunk enough to know that consent can't be granted. When both parties are drunk, neither can consent, full stop. It's an absolutely asinine, patriarchal argument.

I was just responding to the specific case scenario pitched by the person I quoted, which was in the context of original discussion - that being about a man using alcohol/partying to excuse his rape of a woman.

wait wait wait. You mean to tell me he was caught in the act and physically stopped by TWO witnesses an still got off? He basically beat the case? Jesus christ.

shoplifter

wait wait wait. You mean to tell me he was caught in the act and physically stopped by TWO witnesses an still got off? He basically beat the case? Jesus christ.

He didn't get off, he was sentenced to six months and lifelong sex offender registration. The sentence was determined based on a number of factors. This is how criminal sentences are determined.

Jag

Not sure if this was posted, but a good piece from one of the best legal writers I know:

Brock Allen Turner: The Sort of Defendant Who Is Spared “Severe Impact”

Judge Persky’s empathy fell so far into tribalism that he rendered good defense attorney practice irrelevant. Dan Turner, the defendant’s father, offered excuses to the court that were frankly repulsive; he suggested that Turner work to warn students about the dangers of “promiscuity” and characterized the attack as “20 minutes of action.” Turner’s friend, Leslie Rasmussen, indulged in loathsome victim-blaming, suggesting that a Stanford athlete thrusting his hand into your vagina as you sprawl passed out in an alley is the predictable and somewhat justifiable consequence of drinking, and that to pretend otherwise is an example of “PC culture.” Under normal circumstances such letters would be potentially catastrophic for the defense, which is why careful attorneys take pains to prevent them from reaching and enraging the judge. But Judge Persky’s empathy required no caution or moderation.

So you won’t find defense lawyers like me cheering Brock Turner’s escape from appropriate consequences. We see it as a grim reminder of the brokenness of the system. We recognize it as what makes the system impossible for many of our clients to trust or respect. And we know that when there’s a backlash against mercy and lenient sentences – when cases like this or the “affluenza” kid inspire public appetite for longer sentences – it’s not the rich who pay the price. It’s the ones who never saw much mercy to begin with.

He didn't get off, he was sentenced to six months and lifelong sex offender registration. The sentence was determined based on a number of factors. This is how criminal sentences are determined.

He got off in the sense thata slam dunk easy convictiom was ignored because the Judge is a fucking piece of garbage. You seem satisfied by the outcome like it was fair. Anyone who read a shred about this case knows the outcome is fucking bullshit. But keep pushing that narrative man. Fight the good fight.

Its garbage how possesion of drugs can land you 5 years and an outrageous minimum but rape can be handwaved by a judge. Gotta love the legal system.

shoplifter

He got off in the sense thata slam dunk easy convictiom was ignored because the Judge is a fucking piece of garbage. You seem satisfied by the outcome like it was fair. Anyone who read a shred about this case knows the outcome is fucking bullshit. But keep pushing that narrative man. Fight the good fight.

Its garbage how possesion of drugs can land you 5 years and an outrageous minimum but rape can be handwaved by a judge. Gotta love the legal system.

So lobby your legislator to modify sentencing guidelines. I have no stake in the outcome, it is what it is. I wasn't in the courtroom for the proceedings, nor am I a lawyer. The sheer number of people that seem to be interested in mob justice due to this particular case is disturbing. Do I think the sentence was pretty light? Yeah, but lots of other people get light sentences for other offenses too. I think sentences are too long/punitive in general.

The judge appears to be facing a campaign to recall him, which is certainly one way people can voice their displeasure with the sentence if they feel so inclined.

\/\/\/ i think that largely plays into the 'rich people can afford great lawyers, poor people get overworked/underfunded public defenders' which is a *major* problem that needs to be addressed.

Tigress

So you won’t find defense lawyers like me cheering Brock Turner’s escape from appropriate consequences. We see it as a grim reminder of the brokenness of the system. We recognize it as what makes the system impossible for many of our clients to trust or respect. And we know that when there’s a backlash against mercy and lenient sentences – when cases like this or the “affluenza” kid inspire public appetite for longer sentences – it’s not the rich who pay the price. It’s the ones who never saw much mercy to begin with.

Damn, that's really sad. So basically we can rally that this needs to stop (rich kids getting off like this) and all it will do is affect the ones that at best are getting no mercy (but also can be getting unfairly punished already) and the rich people still get off. All this outrage and it will only make things more unbalanced :(.

Edit: And now that I read the whole thing, that is a good read.

Just saw a Professor say, "If we could eradicate the culture of binge drinking, sexual assaults would drop overnight. I spent 13 years teaching at Syracuse University where it seemed we produce as many alcoholics as we produce college graduates" What do you think? I'm inclined to agree.

So lobby your legislator to modify sentencing guidelines. I have no stake in the outcome, it is what it is. I wasn't in the courtroom for the proceedings, nor am I a lawyer. The sheer number of people that seem to be interested in mob justice due to this particular case is disturbing. Do I think the sentence was pretty light? Yeah, but lots of other people get light sentences for other offenses too. I think sentences are too long/punitive in general.

The judge appears to be facing a campaign to recall him, which is certainly one way people can voice their displeasure with the sentence if they feel so inclined.

/// i think that largely plays into the 'rich people can afford great lawyers, poor people get overworked/underfunded public defenders' which is a *major* problem that needs to be addressed.

Unless you implement minimums which really only fuck over poor people this is ultimately left on the judge. You domt have to be a laeyrr to read the facts and deduce its fucking bullshit. You are playng this off as if younare being the rationl one and everyome is a mob. That isnt the case. You are ignoring everything in the actual case and I have no idea why.

I use to do mock trial in school. You handed me this shit and told me based off the situation 6 months I'd laugh you out of the building. Form an actual opinion based off the case instead of "teh law works, lobby/ (asnif this is something you can lobby ie you cant)

Just saw a Professor say, "If we could eradicate the culture of binge drinking, sexual assaults would drop overnight. I spent 13 years teaching at Syracuse University where it seemed we produce as many alcoholics as we produce college graduates" What do you think? I'm inclined to agree.

Bullshit. Alcohol doesn't make you a rapist. That has to come from somewhere inside the person. It's also insulting to men like me that aren't rapists. It's like you are implying that anyone can be a rapist if they are drunk enough and in the wrong place or whatever. If Brock was a good person he would have found help for her instead of jamming his fingers in her.

And maybe just maybe there are other cultural factors at play here besides drinking and party culture. Blaming it on the alcohol is a nice excuse if you don't want to look into deeper cultural factors.

shoplifter

Unless you implement minimums which really only fuck over poor people this is ultimately left on the judge. You domt have to be a laeyrr to read the facts and deduce its fucking bullshit. You are playng this off as if younare being the rationl one and everyome is a mob. That isnt the case. You are ignoring everything in the actual case and I have no idea why.

I already said I think the sentence is too short, what else do you want me to say?

I use to do mock trial in school. You handed me this shit and told me based off the situation 6 months I'd laugh you out of the building. Form an actual opinion based off the case instead of "teh law works, lobby/ (asnif this is something you can lobby ie you cant)

Are you seriously trying to tell me that you can't lobby legislators to change the law? Don't even start. It's not going to apply retroactively, but it would affect future cases.

edit: i should know better by now than to try to be respectful in threads like these.

Bullshit. Alcohol doesn't make you a rapist. That has to come from somewhere inside the person. It's also insulting to men like me that aren't rapists. It's like you are implying that anyone can be a rapist if they are drunk enough and in the wrong place or whatever. If Brock was a good person he would have found help for her instead of jamming his fingers in her.

So hypothetically speaking if by some miracle, the culture of binge drinking was eradicated off of every college campus in America. You don't think there would be a drop in sexual assaults?

I think this is stupid and a narrative people push to avoid havimg to comfromt reality. If you cant avoid rape unless you dont drink. Then dont drink.

Binge drinking culture isn't positive but its not the cause of rape. Its not conductive to an environment that primotes rape because people who binge drink don't suddenly think rape is ok. Its so dumb. People just take responsibity for your actions. Jesus. Its not difficult.

I already said I think the sentence is too short, what else do you want me to say?

Are you seriously trying to tell me that you can't lobby legislators to change the law? Don't even start. It's not going to apply retroactively, but it would affect future cases.

I'm gonna tell you that without a minimum what you are arguing for wouldnt have done shit for this case. Something you would know if you actually bothered to read it.

You're playing dumb like you dont get why people are pissed off. Its apparent people are pissed off because the judge ignored all the evidence went with a bullshit w/e not a big deal sentence. What law dp you think needs to be implemented that can change this result that isnt "if you are found guilty of this you do X years minimum". If you dont know please refrain from this point because you are wrong.

So hypothetically speaking if by some miracle, the culture of binge drinking was eradicated off of every college campus in America. You don't think there would be a drop in sexual assaults?

Your hypothetical is ridiculous. You are shifting the blame just like Brock and his father did. It's not like binge drinking is a new thing too. This isn't something unique to our generation. Do you believe that someone should not have to take responsibility for their actions when drunk? If not, then drinking culture and your hypotheticals aren't really relevant.

I think this is stupid and a narrative people push to avoid havimg to comfromt reality. If you cant avoid rape unless you dont drink. Then dont drink.

Binge drinking culture isn't positive but its not the cause of rape. Its not conductive to an environment that primotes rape because people who binge drink don't suddenly think rape is ok. Its so dumb. People just take responsibity for your actions. Jesus. Its not difficult.

Man, some of ya'll are so narrowly focused on rape, and victim blaming and missing the point of what he's saying. He said "Sexual Assault". Argue what I wrote and not what you want it to be. Sexual Assault could be anything like grabbing a girl's ass. And yes, I've seen way too many people overstep their boundaries after binge drinking. That doesn't mean I'm not holding them at fault, but recognizing the negative effects of the most widely used and abused mind-altering drug in the world today and if it means we can cut down on even 1 percent of sexual assaults by discussing the dangers of binge drinking then I think it's worth it. Anyway, I'm finished even attempting to have an honest dialogue without the accusations that I'm victim blaming, or not holding people responsible for their actions when that's far from the case. I'm out.

Your hypothetical is ridiculous. You are shifting the blame just like Brock and his father did. It's not like binge drinking is a new thing too. This isn't something unique to our generation. Do you believe that someone should not have to take responsibility for their actions when drunk? If not, then drinking culture and your hypotheticals aren't really relevant.

Man, Nobody said any of this. You're right binge drinking isn't a new thing, however I do think you're having more people speak about the sexual assaults that occur more than ever.

Man, some of ya'll are so narrowly focused on rape, and victim blaming and missing the point of what he's saying. He said "Sexual Assault". Argue what I wrote and not what you want it to be. Sexual Assault could be anything like grabbing a girl's ass. And yes, I've seen way too many people overstep their boundaries after binge drinking. That doesn't mean I'm not holding them at fault, but recognizing the negative effects of the most widely used and abused mind-altering drug in the world today and if it means we can cut down on even 1 percent of sexual assaults by discussing the dangers of binge drinking then I think it's worth it. Anyway, I'm finished even attempting to have an honest dialogue without the accusations that I'm victim blaming, or not holding people responsible for their actions when that's far from the case. I'm out.

Sexual assault and alcohol are the same as rape and alcohol. I've never had the urge to grab a woman's ass randomly. Sober or drunk. Because I respect women and just other humans in generals Just because alcohol may have emboldened some guy to grab a women's ass doesn't mean it's alcohols fault. That came from somewhere in that person.

shoplifter

I'm gonna tell you that without a minimum what you are arguing for wouldnt have done shit for this case. Something you would know if you actually bothered to read it.

You're playing dumb like you dont get why people are pissed off. Its apparent people are pissed off because the judge ignored all the evidence went with a bullshit w/e not a big deal sentence. What law dp you think needs to be implemented that can change this result that isnt "if you are found guilty of this you do X years minimum". If you dont know please refrain from this point because you are wrong.

So be pissed off at the judge. There are remedies if people feel he is a poor adjudicator, which appear to be in motion.

If people got this angry at other shit the government does, things might get fixed from time to time. Not to downplay the severity of the crime that occurred.

Instead we have threats and retaliation against people that wrote a character brief as to what they knew about the defendant. Did people want his father and friends to literally throw him under the bus?

Man, Nobody said any of this. You're right binge drinking isn't a new thing, however I do think you're having more people speak about the sexual assaults that occur more than ever.

Well if binge drinking isn't new, maybe there are other factors at play. Like our failing sex education, boys still feeling entitled to sex, maybe it's being reported more because women are now being empowered more than ever. Not that long ago it was considered legal for your husband to rape you. Just think about all these things before blaming it on alcohol.

AMUSIX

The Stanford rapist's jail sentence may have already been cut in half

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/06/...ntence-may-have-already-been-cut-in/21392338/

A new development in the case, sure to cause even more of a social media uproar than the initial sentencing, shows that Turner's already lenient sentence appears to have been cut in half — a mere seven days after it was handed to him.

A visit to the Santa Clara County Jail's website, where Turner will be serving his sentence, shows his booking date as June 2, 2016.

Yet, his release date is listed as September 2, 2016, which is eight weeks earlier than his original sentence would have permitted.

Research conducted by the National Institute on Alcohol and Alcohol Abuse.

It's a good read that shows how much we know and don't know between the relationship of alcohol and sexual assault and the various factors that contribute to it.

Once again, I'm NOT blaming the alcohol, ultimately you're responsible for what mind altering substance you consume and the subsequent behavior afterwards; and it notes:
It is important to emphasize, however, that although a woman’s alcohol consumption may place her at increased risk of sexual assault, she is in no way responsible for the assault. The perpetrators are legally and morally responsible for their behavior.

Alcohol and Sexual Assault

Conservative estimates of sexual assault prevalence suggest that 25 percent of American women have experienced sexual assault, including rape. Approximately one-half of those cases involve alcohol consumption by the perpetrator, victim, or both. Alcohol contributes to sexual assault through multiple pathways, often exacerbating existing risk factors. Beliefs about alcohol’s effects on sexual and aggressive behavior, stereotypes about drinking women, and alcohol’s effects on cognitive and motor skills contribute to alcohol-involved sexual assault. Despite advances in researchers’ understanding of the relationships between alcohol consumption and sexual assault, many questions still need to be addressed in future studies.

Although alcohol consumption and sexual assault frequently co-occur, this phenomenon does not prove that alcohol use causes sexual assault. Thus, in some cases, the desire to commit a sexual assault may actually cause alcohol consumption (e.g., when a man drinks alcohol before committing a sexual assault in order to justify his behavior). Moreover, certain factors may lead to both alcohol consumption and sexual assault. For example, some fraternities encourage both heavy drinking and sexual exploitation of women (Abbey et al. 1996b). In fact, many pathways can prompt a man to commit sexual assault, and not all perpetrators are motivated by the same factors (Seto and Barbaree 1997). This article, therefore, describes several different ways in which alcohol consumption by the perpetrator and the victim can encourage sexual assault.

Although alcohol-involved and non-alcohol-involved sexual assaults share many characteristics, some differences exist. For example, sexual assaults involving alcohol consumption are more likely than other sexual assaults to occur between men and women who do not know each other well (e.g., strangers, acquaintances, or casual dates as opposed to steady dates or spouses). Furthermore, alcohol-involved sexual assaults tend to occur at parties or in bars, rather than in either person’s home.

Abbey and colleagues (1994, 1996b) have developed a model to explain the role of alcohol in sexual assaults perpetrated by acquaintances. The model suggests that alcohol acts at two distinct points during the interaction between the perpetrator and the victim to increase the likelihood of sexual assault. The first point is during the early stages of the interaction, when the man is evaluating the likelihood that his companion wants to have sex with him. This evaluation is an ongoing process. During a date or other social interaction, many points occur at which a man evaluates the potential sexual meaning of a female companion’s verbal or non-verbal cues. Alcohol can contribute to the misperception of the woman’s cues in such a way that the man perceives her as being more encouraging than she really is because of alcohol’s effects on his cognitive functioning. The woman experiences the same cognitive deficits as the man does if the woman also consumes alcohol. Thus, if she feels that she has made it clear that she is not interested in sex at this point, alcohol consumption will make her less likely to process the man’s cues indicating that he has misread her intentions.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
http://abc7news.com/news/judge-in-stanford-sexual-assault-case-receives-death-threats/1377749/

STANFORD, Calif. (KGO) -- A Palo Alto judge is now receiving death threats as rage grows over the six-month sentence he gave a former Stanford swimmer convicted of sexual assault. As a result, security has been beefed up at the courthouse.

"He has received threats and his family has received threats," said Santa Clara County Public Defender Gary Goodman.

Disgusting and sad that his family got involved with this

Yeah.

And that is something that makes you a decent human being, not a sociopath, and not a rapist.

Some people are just fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom