• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapist gets 6 months because prison sentence would have a severe impact on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

Ruining someone's life isn't crime enough to go to jail?

Fuck this world (and cut this guys dick off pls).

Rape/pedo is one of the crimes I despise the most, and if it were to happen to someone close to me, I dont think I could let justice handle it, I wouldnt kill anyone, but 'd make sure he could never do that again to a person.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Jesus, must have been pretty bad for two passerbys to be able to identify it as non consensual at a distance.

zoukka

Rape/pedo is one of the crimes I despise the most, and if it were to happen to someone close to me, I dont think I could let justice handle it, I wouldnt kill anyone, but 'd make sure he could never do that again to a person.

Which would mean you yourself would be in prison and everyone close to you would suffer. It's an impossibly frustrating situation. There is no justice in this world for rape victims that the justice system can deliver. The crime is still treated like it always has been, a slap in the wrist and something that the victim should be ashamed of while the criminal scum sees no prison nor consequences in his life.

One of the great tragedies of modern world.

The crime itself is directly comparable to brutal torture.

Aske

I often roll my eyes at the notion of "rape culture"; but mea culpa, I was dead wrong, America is that bad.

This "boys will be boys" ruling is a vicious slap in the face of every sexual assault victim, especially those who have chosen to step forward and seek justice. I hope it becomes a focal point to highlight just how awful things still are. This case needs to become a catalyst for change.

zoukka

I often roll my eyes at the notion of "rape culture"; but mea culpa, I was dead wrong, America is that bad.

This "boys will be boys" ruling is a vicious slap in the face of every sexual assault victim, especially those who have chosen to step forward and seek justice. I hope it becomes a focal point to highlight just how awful things still are. This case needs to become a catalyst for change.

That is true to most countries in the world.

zoukka

It does seem the US has an 'extra' problem with this college/uni shit. People getting shitfaced drunk and raping girls at parties.

Not only a US thing. Anywhere where young people gather and party this shit will happen. Especially in dorms.

Chuckie

Not only a US thing. Anywhere where young people gather and party this shit will happen. Especially in dorms.

This frat-house party culture seems to be a US thing though. Especially combined with the 'white jock who can't do anything wrong'

I don't really understand how you can be caught behind a dumpster on top of an unconscious girl and you get 6 months. So rape is worthy of 6 (3 months) but running from the police is worthy of death by firong squad? Fuck this world man. Fuck that guy too. Piece of shit.

Which would mean you yourself would be in prison and everyone close to you would suffer. It's an impossibly frustrating situation. There is no justice in this world for rape victims that the justice system can deliver. The crime is still treated like it always has been, a slap in the wrist and something that the victim should be ashamed of while the criminal scum sees no prison nor consequences in his life.

One of the great tragedies of modern world.

The crime itself is directly comparable to brutal torture.

I know, but it wouldnt even be a choice to me, its something I truelly hate. Most crimes people can recover from (unless its murder of course), but rape is "killing you" without murdering you, its very very hard to come back and have a healthy sex life, or life in general.

Eidan

Man, black people get murdered during routine traffic stops, and white guys get six months for fucking rape. America.

This is some fucking flagrant patriarchal bullshit

Edit:

Man, blacks people get murdered during routine traffic stops, and white guys get six months for fucking rape. America.

And also, can't argue here either. Black men have been executed in the US on false charges of rape, and this poor little white boy gets off because he might be upset. Jesus tittyfucking Christ on a bicycle.

Zaru

I just looked up the judge, and if I got the right person then he was or is an "Executive Committee Member of the Support Network for Battered Women"

My sides

man I'm calling racism and possible classism here too wtf. i hate to say it but we all know how long the judge would have sentenced him for if he was an ethnic young dude instead.

Culex

Banned
Silver lining is he is a convicted felon, so he permanently loses a lot freedoms.

Perhaps he'll screw up again and go to jail for a long time.

Zakalwe

Banned
Eh, even though he only got 6 months of jail he's pretty much fucked for life anyways.

I doubt it. He's white, and is probably affluent enough to be handed opportunity. Plus his family will likely spin it, he'll likely play the victim, and people will eat it up.

Well endowed white guy gets off easy for rape.

im_shocked.gif

Maybe they should change all prisons to focus more on keeping the prisoners safe, and rehabilitative aspects and less on punishment. Then it wouldn't be so negative impactful.

entremet

This is some fucking flagrant patriarchal bullshit

Edit:

And also, can't argue here either. Black men have been executed in the US on false charges of rape, and this poor little white boy gets off because he might be upset. Jesus tittyfucking Christ on a bicycle.
Well this is what we mean when we bring up white supremacy.

Many people say that's playing the race card, but I disagree.

It's not just about blatant racism. It's about systemic advantages whites receive everywhere by virtue of race.

zoukka

In my country the rapists are even more protected, you can't find their identity anywhere and there is no sex-offender records.

Walshicus

I know being drunk makes us do stupid things sometimes, but it doesn't remove our ability to assess right and wrong.

That's pretty much what it *does* do. Alcohol impairs your judgement and lowers your inhibitions, which is generally the reason people use it.

I mean I'm not saying we shouldn't have responsibility for our actions... Just that I think the problem starts with alcohol abuse culture.

dani_dc

In my country the rapists are even more protected, you can't find their identity anywhere and there is no sex-offender records.
The idea is that people pay their crimes by serving sentence, it's why "right to be forgotten" is a thing in the EU.

If someone is a danger to society then he shouldn't be outside on a list, he shouldn't be allowed out of prison to begin with.

zoukka

That's pretty much what it *does* do. Alcohol impairs your judgement and lowers your inhibitions, which is generally the reason people use it.

I mean I'm not saying we shouldn't have responsibility for our actions... Just that I think the problem starts with alcohol abuse culture.

Alcohol lowers your inhibition of being the scum you are. Alcohol doesn't introduce anything new into your personality.

The idea is that people pay their crimes by serving sentence, it's why "right to be forgotten" is a thing in the EU.

If someone is a danger to society then he shouldn't be outside on a list, he shouldn't be allowed out of prison to begin with.

Rapists in EU seldom see prison.

Isn't the whole point of prison to have an impact on him? I don't understand the judge's logic at all and that short a sentence is just insulting.

It's two fold.

1) Prison is there to punish somebody. Humans are equipped with a sense of justice, and instead of torture, bodily destruction or similar we engage people who have done wrong doings with a punishment to makes the victims feel that society has exercises a sense of justice. It's always important that the victims get a sense of justice.
The tricky part is the discussion about how much that sense of justice should entail (death penalty discussion, for example).

2) Rehabilitation - We are beginning to understand more and more how harsher punishment doesn't deter crime. In some cases at least (like drug laws). In America with a privitized prison system in some states, you get a very high level of recidivism because having inmates bounce back to prison makes money for those who runs the prison system.
In that sense, putting someone in prison in America, who also houses the majority of the countries mentally ill people, is not a path towards rehabilitation but getting worse. Andrew Cumo gave a great speech about it a while back that really touched a lot of people.
The libertarian agenda is completely oblivious to privatized public services. Private health care and prison systems are being run as corporations and that fucks over people.

Well, yeah. You don't want to give him too heavy a sentence. Might get raped in prison if he's in there long enough, lord knows we need less violent crimes in the world.

News like this is why I avoid OT most of the time. Fuck sakes.

RS4-

Disgusting ruling, shit judge and scum fuck rapist.

Nothing but shitty excuse after shitty excuse to not have White America sit in jail for more than a few months. If he shot her, probably double the sentence (or add a week) because, well drunk and white.

I thought rapists were inherently dangerous....

Question to me is why does the judge empathize more with the rapist than the rape victim?

Chococat

Pushing the blame to alcohol abuse culture is deflecting personal responsibility.

If one doesn't drink, one doesn't lose control. Simple. If you do drink, you are responsible for your actions- you made the choice.

Fucking cunts.

Side note- I find the use of the word "cunt" in this thread a little off putting considering the topic- rape. Describing a rapist as a women's body part in defense of the raped women is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom