• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapist gets 6 months because prison sentence would have a severe impact on him

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess he was suffering from rapefluenza.

The "justice" system in this country is absolutely broken, from policing to the judicial level. America needs a re-roll.

DedValve

Banned
Her only hope now is that the rape is attached to him forever. It sucks that there will be no justice for the victim and a corrupt, evil judge gets to keep on trucking letting rapists free and ignoring juries. Disgusting on every level.

Because the objective of the justice system isn't to make victims happy. It's to provide an outcome for society that minimises harm.

To play devil's advocate, is the lesson from six months gaol time really, actually, less than the lesson from sixty months gaol time?

I wish that was true of our justice system, but it's really there to provide revenge for society. It's punitive.

The ultimate failure of our justice system is that such revenge is horribly slanted to certain people.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Horrifying and not remotely surprising, and of course he's white...
Pushing the blame to alcohol abuse culture is deflecting personal responsibility.

If one doesn't drink, one doesn't lose control. Simple. If you do drink, you are responsible for your actions- you made the choice.
Agreed.

Side note- I find the use of the word "cunt" in this thread a little off putting considering the topic- rape. Describing a rapist as a women's body part in defense of the raped women is weird.
FWIW I'm a woman and I don't care. We can easily call them "dicks" or "assholes" too. It's just a vulgar word that people use when they're angry.

Paz

Maybe they should change all prisons to focus more on keeping the prisoners safe, and rehabilitative aspects and less on punishment. Then it wouldn't be so negative impactful.

This post was largely missed it seems but I really agree, if you weren't under threat of prison rape / prison beatings and post prison life where you can't get a job or vote etc it'd be a lot better.

Rapists need to be punished but also rehabilitated and it seems in this case the perpetrator will have neither happen in sufficient quantities and that is quite simply awful.

I live in Australia and our prison system isn't exactly great either, as the family member of a murder victim it makes me sad to know that the perpetrators probably came out worse than they went in to prison because nobody wins in that scenario, and the alternative of life (as in permanent) prison or the death penalty is even more fucked up.

Just look at the recidivism rates in the US prison system vs much of the EU, the endless search for 'tough on crime' punishment just creates more criminals who perform worse crimes.

Though it seems likely in this case the Judge is just a 'boys will be boys' asshole and the state of the prison system is irrelevant.

Walshicus

I agree that alcohol has adverse effects on us, but it can never be an excuse for a horrible crime.

It's not an excuse really, we choose to drink and the consequences are our own. But I think reducing the problem to one of scum will be scum doesn't help.

cowboyz89

If thats my daughter/gf/friend, that dudes body wouldnt wash up on shore until weeks after the police call off the search for him.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think we all know you'd do sod all, but I'm sure it's a comfortable revenge fantasy.
You never know. A guy on my forum did end up killing (manslaughter, he was beating him to a pulp) the guy who raped his girlfriend.

Of course, he also went to prison (4 years, IIRC) for it... That part is never mentioned in those revenge fantasies, huh.

Walshicus

You never know. A guy on my forum did end up killing (manslaughter, he was beating him to a pulp) the guy who raped his girlfriend.

Of course, he also went to prison for it... That part is never mentioned in those revenge fantasies, huh.
Yeah but think of the odds. How many stories like this do we read? How few end up like that...

Chococat

FWIW I'm a woman and I don't care. We can easily call them "dicks" or "assholes" too. It's just a vulgar word that people use when they're angry.

Yeah, I know that why I mentioned it as a side note. Normally I don't care about swear words. It just stood out in this case cause of the relation action of fucking and body part of cunt has to the topic of rape. Not trying to word police here. I almost thought it some dark humor joke or a pop culture reference.

TaterTots

Banned
He is not dangerous? Soooooo..................penetrating a unconscious woman with a object doesn't make one dangerous now? We're on a slow burn to shit city.

Yet this sentencing seems particularly callous, particularly given the statement delivered at Turner’s hearing by the 23-year-old victim. In the courtroom, the victim looked directly at Turner and asked him, “I was awake, right?”, refuting Turner’s insistence throughout the trial that she was conscious throughout the encounter and verbally consented.

She also, Palo Alto Online reports, directly refuted large portions of Turner’s statement in which he blamed “campus drinking culture” and “the sexual promiscuity that goes along with that,” for raping a woman. She took particular issue with Turner’s false repentance (“I want to show people that one night of drinking can ruin a life,” Turner wrote in his statement). The victim said in court:

“Ruin a life, one life, yours, you forgot about mine. Let me rephrase for you, I want to show people that one night of drinking can ruin two lives. You and me. You are the cause, I am the effect. You have dragged me through this hell with you, dipped me back into that night again and again. You knocked down both our towers, I collapsed at the same time you did. Your damage was concrete; stripped of titles, degrees, enrollment. My damage was internal, unseen, I carry it with me. You took away my worth, my privacy, my energy, my time, my safety, my intimacy, my confidence, my own voice, until today.”

In her statement, too, the woman seized on the story that surrounded Turner—one that made him a victim of some inevitable circumstances, rather than a felon. A familiar narrative about rape and assault in which the effect of his crimes are diminished so that an upstanding young man could be mourned, so that he could be the victim:

“In newspapers, my name was “unconscious intoxicated woman”, ten syllables, and nothing more than that. For a while, I believed that that was all I was. I had to force myself to relearn my real name, my identity. To relearn that this is not all that I am. That I am not just a drunk victim at a frat party found behind a dumpster, while you are the All-American swimmer at a top university, innocent until proven guilty, with so much at stake. I am a human being who has been irreversibly hurt, who waited a year to figure out if I was worth something.”

She also spoke directly about the probation officer’s recommendation, saying that she didn’t want Turner “to rot away in prison,” but rather for him to “understand and admit to his wrongdoing.” It, however, became clear to her after reading Turner’s statement (where he reiterated that he was drunk, she was conscious, the encounter was consensual, and drinking and hookup culture were the real culprits), that he was unable to “exhibit...remorse.”

“I fully respected his right to a trial, but even after twelve jurors unanimously convicted him guilty of three felonies, all he has admitted to doing is ingesting alcohol. Someone who cannot take full accountability for his actions does not deserve a mitigating sentence. It is deeply offensive that he would try and dilute rape with a suggestion of promiscuity. By definition rape is the absence of promiscuity, rape is the absence of consent, and it perturbs me deeply that he can’t even see that distinction.”

After hearing and reading her statement, the judge still sentenced Turner to six months, though, as Palo Alto Online notes, it will more than likely be reduced to three months “with credit for good behavior.”

The county prosecutor said, “The punishment does not fit the crime.” It hardly ever does, but at least Turner’s future is still promising.

More info. The rapist never admitted fault and still believe ls himself to be innocent, this is not a man who has learned his lesson, this is a convicted rapist waiting to rape again.

Powerful words from the victim.

http://jezebel.com/ex-stanford-swimmer-gets-6-month-sentence-for-rape-desp-1780388299

I wish prosecutors could appeal sentences.

It's so utterly repugnant how "won't someone think of the perpetrator" is something that never got said for when a non-white perpetrator was on trial. Shit, this Judge gives more sympathy to this shithead than people are willing to give to the many non-white people wrongfully convicted of crimes, people who would sooner let them stay in prison to protect the status quo.

Fusebox

Banned
Someone tell the hard-hitting mofos in that jail that they've only got him for 3 months so please accelerate the timeframe for beatings.

And also, can't argue here either. Black men have been executed in the US on false charges of rape, and this poor little white boy gets off because he might be upset. Jesus tittyfucking Christ on a bicycle.

Heck, there's the one who got off with a slap on the wrist for four counts of vehicular homicide with a defense that he was "too rich to know right from wrong."

that poor boy. he just didn't understand the potential consequences of a few too many drinks. a swimming career cut short for no reason.

Opto

Banned
Remember that a rapist seeing jail is incredibly unlikely. This fucker here is of the 2% that see jail time and it's a goddamn vacation

DR2K

Banned
Won't he be a convicted sex offender for the rest of his life? Or would that just not make life okay for him??

AMUSIX

Someone tell the hard-hitting mofos in that jail that they've only got him for 3 months so please accelerate the timeframe for beatings.

It's county. Hell, it's Santa Clara county. I've been in there, and the place is a fucking summer camp. Not only will he only get 3 months, but I guarantee mommy and daddy will tell him to go to summer school. What that means is that he'll only spend a single month in county. Then he goes to what is essentially a work furlough dorm.

He'll have his own bed (no bunk) his own locker, be able to wear his own clothes, have access to his own laptop, and be able to drive his own car to and from his classes. He just has to check in and out at the front desk when he comes and goes. Oh, and if he decides to go hang out with his bros instead of going to class? That's fine.

Won't he be a convicted sex offender for the rest of his life? Or would that just not make life okay for him??

Such records are designed to shackle the plebes not the affluent who possess the capital and opportunities to overcome any lifestyle consequences caused by their criminal footnote.

kirblar

This frat-house party culture seems to be a US thing though. Especially combined with the 'white jock who can't do anything wrong'
Us alcohol restrictions cause that.

But that of course has nothing to do with the case. It's entirely possible for two people to be drunk, one to pass out and the other be too drunk to notice.

It's entirely not possible for that scenario to be playing out behind a dumpster.

Does California elect or appoint their judges?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Full victim statement here: http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2...-away-my-worth

Seems really unambiguously awful.

Apparently one of the two grad students who rescued her "was crying so hard he couldn't speak because of what he'd seen" when the police came.
I just read it and I want to weep. Horrifying. This woman is so damn brave, I hope her words stay and remain powerful but I'm too cynical to really believe it.

This part, of all things, particularly broke me:

When I see my younger sister hurting, when she is unable to keep up in school, when she is deprived of joy, when she is not sleeping, when she is crying so hard on the phone she is barely breathing, telling me over and over again she is sorry for leaving me alone that night, sorry sorry sorry, when she feels more guilt than you, then I do not forgive you.

:(

Full victim statement here: http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2016/06/03/stanford-sex-assault-victim-you-took-away-my-worth

Seems really unambiguously awful.

Apparently one of the two grad students who rescued her "was crying so hard he couldn't speak because of what he'd seen" when the police came.

I just read that statement. It is fucking staggering.

EDIT:

You cannot give me back the life I had before that night either. While you worry about your shattered reputation, I refrigerated spoons every night so when I woke up, and my eyes were puffy from crying, I would hold the spoons to my eyes to lessen the swelling so that I could see. I showed up an hour late to work every morning, excused myself to cry in the stairwells, I can tell you all the best places in that building to cry where no one can hear you. The pain became so bad that I had to explain the private details to my boss to let her know why I was leaving. I needed time because continuing day to day was not possible. I used my savings to go as far away as I could possibly be. I did not return to work full time as I knew I’d have to take weeks off in the future for the hearing and trial, that were constantly being rescheduled. My life was put on hold for over a year, my structure had collapsed.

When I see my younger sister hurting, when she is unable to keep up in school, when she is deprived of joy, when she is not sleeping, when she is crying so hard on the phone she is barely breathing, telling me over and over again she is sorry for leaving me alone that night, sorry sorry sorry, when she feels more guilt than you, then I do not forgive you. That night I had called her to try and find her, but you found me first. Your attorney’s closing statement began, “[Her sister] said she was fine and who knows her better than her sister.” You tried to use my own sister against me? Your points of attack were so weak, so low, it was almost embarrassing. You do not touch her.

Fuck that judge so much, "severe impact" on him? Fucking Christ, this is infuriating.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I read her entire statement and that was one of the most difficult things I've ever read. I feel sick and stunned.

The only silver lining to this is hopefully it shines a light on the issue, and the eloquence and bravery of her statement make it historic. I feel like a clown pulling out infinite handkerchiefs to find a positive, but that'll have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom