• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapist gets 6 months because prison sentence would have a severe impact on him

Status
Not open for further replies.
No admission of fault, called the rape non violent and 20 minutes of "action", and blamed it on sexual promiscuity aka called the victim a slut.

There's no remorse anywhere.

This kid will rape again.

Wow, from his dad???

No wonder this kid doesn't feel any remorse. His parents have clearly taught him that he doesn't need to.

Father says that 20 minutes shouldn't ruin his sons life, neglects that son committed a felony. Even if it was one minute it's still a fully commited major crime. But hey, only sluts get raped so its cool.

Rapist insists it was consensual. Parent believes and defends their child. This isn't really surprising or disappointing or infuriating--it seems pretty normal and I don't really hold it against the father.

Father says that 20 minutes shouldn't ruin his sons life, neglects that son committed a felony. Even if it was one minute it's still a fully commited major crime. But hey, only sluts get raped so its cool.

Interesting logic. So if someone took a semi-automatic rifle and killed a bunch of people at a school, it wouldn't be fair for his life to be ended for seconds of actions. Because after all, no serious crimes are committed quickly.

Rapist insists it was consensual. Parent believes and defends their child. This isn't really surprising or disappointing or infuriating--it seems pretty normal and I don't really hold it against the father.

The father makes serious implications that rape isn't a big deal. He also essentially accused the victim of being a slut. Son's gonna educate people on drinking? On sexual promiscuity? On conse-- lol no

You're reading into it too much. It's just a parent being protective of their child. I don't expect it to always be rational.

I think you're reading into it too little. :v

The letter goes beyond defending his son and goes into downplaying the theoretical (according to him) rape that occurred as well as trying to blame the victim for being sexually promiscuous and drunk.

Ridiculous sentencing by the judge. He should be disbarred for this.

Yep. If the judge is not willing to apply an appropriate punishment for raping someone, I certainly hope that an appropriate punishment is given to this judge.

Of course, he'll probably stay on because it would have a severe impact on him to lose his job

Dynomutt

Not surprised. When you have money your almost invincible. If I recall the heir to the Du Pont family did the same thing just more vile and despicable.

Though Robert H. Richards IV was convicted of rape, the wealthy heir to the du Pont family fortune was spared prison by a Delaware court in 2009 because he would "not fare well" behind bars, according to court documents CNN obtained Tuesday.
Richards is a great-grandson of the chemical magnate Irenee du Pont.
He received an eight-year prison sentence in 2009 for raping his toddler daughter, but the sentencing order signed by a Delaware judge said "defendant will not fare well" in prison and the eight years were suspended. - CNN

diaspora

This reminds me of when I used to work retail a few years ago. All of my colleagues were in their early 20s except for one (rich) 16-17 year old kid. This one time at night when we were closing the kid who's at a party shoots us a whatsapp group message asking if it's ok to fuck his crush at the party if she's drunk. There must have been dozens of responses immediately along the lines of "if you have to ask..." and "breh, no". News stories like this make me wonder how close this kid was coming to being like the rapist in the story.

The_Kid

It's really weird that the father things he would be a good person to teach other college students and help them. The kid doesn't even think he did anything wrong!

kirblar

This reminds me of when I used to work retail a few years ago. All of my colleagues were in their early 20s except for one (rich) 16-17 year old kid. This one time at night when we were closing the kid who's at a party shoots us a whatsapp group message asking if it's ok to fuck his crush at the party if she's drunk. There must have been dozens of responses immediately along the lines of "if you have to ask..." and "breh, no". News stories like this make me wonder how close this kid was coming to being like the rapist in the story.
Wonder if sex ed is actually taught better in public schools overall due to lack of direct religious influence.

diaspora

Wonder if sex ed is actually taught better in public schools overall due to lack of direct religious influence.

The fact that he asked at all is mercifully thanks to (probably) the sex-ed that at the time touched upon consent. AFAIK, it's far more robust now so it'd be less likely a normal kid would even need to ask.

Tigress

You're reading into it too much. It's just a parent being protective of their child. I don't expect it to always be rational.

I don't care. I'm not going to have respect for some one when he can't realize when his kid is so obviously wrong. That shows bad parenting cause you can't teach them how to be moral when you turn a blind eye to things they do. I respect parents who own up to that their kids can be evil. I'm more likely to believe the fault didn't start with their parenting when they do such.

I'd LOL except... this is too depressing and true to be funny

Yeah seriously lol. It's one of those jokes that no good person can laugh at :v

It's really weird that the father things he would be a good person to teach other college students and help them. The kid doesn't even think he did anything wrong!

He's trying to teach people how to avoid getting raped by him

Don't be drunk, don't be slutty, and you're a-okay by him!

Yeah. I don't think most colleges would give him the time to tell their students "don't get caught," because at this point it's the only thing that asshole could have learned.

Plus, you just know he would get heckled and never try to "help" students again, because that would require self-improvement and effort.

DedValve

Banned
Yep. If the judge is not willing to apply an appropriate punishment for raping someone, I certainly hope that an appropriate punishment is given to this judge.

Of course, he'll probably stay on because it would have a severe impact on him to lose his job

Hmm...your on to something here. Brb gonna take a dump in my boss office then shoot her daughter and probably the whole office if I can do it fast enough. To lose my job and my freedom would be too severe of an impact. Too severe.

diaspora

This kid thinking he can rape people when they're sleeping is pretty severe itself- dude is going to get shanked one day if the rolls through life with that mindset.

Iksenpets

Banned

It's insane when he talks about all the positive impact his son could have if they would just let him out so he could teach everyone about the dangers of alcohol and "promiscuity" (aka have him go around telling women not to be such sluts if they want to avoid rapists like him). There is not a thing in the world his son could do that would have a more positive social impact than being made an example of by having the book thrown at him for this shit.

What if someone was like 101 years old and so far they had lived a super positive, productive life, but then ONE TIME they pulled out a handgun and a knife and shot their spouse in the head and ate a piece of their flesh, but they did it lickety-split and it only took like 5 minutes. Wouldn't you have to step back a step and put your hands on your hips and stack those bad 5 minutes up against a whole lifetime of good minutes and go hey now whatsit?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Sucks that threats and the appearance of threats are so criminalized these days if only because the correct reply to the dad's comment is "I could kill you in one.".

You're reading too little into the letter. You'll notice that he doesn't actually deny that his son actually committed a rape. If he was in denial that his son had done it, that's one thing.

Here, he accepts the premise that his son is guilty, but goes on to advocate that his son shouldn't be punished because rape is just "20 minutes of action". He goes well beyond defending his son into "Rape isn't a real crime" territory.

casiopao

Seeing this news actually makes me happy that my country is actually pushing for chemical castration for rapist especially after the insanely brutal gang rape by fourteen rapist against a single girl which end up killing her.

I absolutely hate this kind of people and hope that their actions is punished as heavy as possible.

Dryk

He apparently thinks that his son can teach girls how to not be sluts and then falsely accuse people of rape. They're both garbage.

EDIT: The judge is also garbage for thinking that someone who doesn't understand why they were convicted of these charges isn't a danger to society.

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere, but is the judge not accountable to anyone? He clearly went directly against the jury's decision.

And aren't sentences supposed to be first and foremost based on precedent? Can't the girls lawyers be like "Wait, hold on, a majority of rape cases in which the jury unanimously declares a guilty verdict end in x amount of jail time, what makes this different?

I understand stuff like this happens and maybe it's because I don't pay much attention to many individual cases but I really don't understand how the judge can just get away with doing something like this so flagrantly. What is the point of the whole jury of your peers, reviewing the facts process if the judge gets to solely decide the punishment at the end?

I wonder what this will do the guy's life. Will he be unemployable or will daddy and mommy's connections get him through? A couple decades ago I could see people getting away with something like this, but now it seems like shit like this would haunt you now that the story is a Google search away, regardless of who your parents are.

The Ohio native was convicted of assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated woman,
sexually penetrating an intoxicated person with a foreign object
sexually penetrating an unconscious person with a foreign object.

So it was ruled that traditional sex ( penis insertion in vagina ) didn't occur? I imagine that was why it was difficult to get him the max for rape. 6 months is not nearly enough though

Judge Aaron Persky is up for reelection, with no opposition.

It is possible to file a complaint, however, and it doesn't take much effort. Here's how.

(In case this hasn't been posted yet.)

You're reading too little into the letter. You'll notice that he doesn't actually deny that his son actually committed a rape. If he was in denial that his son had done it, that's one thing.

Here, he accepts the premise that his son is guilty, but goes on to advocate that his son shouldn't be punished because rape is just "20 minutes of action". He goes well beyond defending his son into "Rape isn't a real crime" territory.

If his son says it's consensual and he believes his son over the accuser out of parental instinct, then that 20 minutes of action was just that in his mind: consensual and not rape. I don't know what in that letter makes you think the father believes his son is a rapist, because he straight up says that he thinks his son isn't violent, even on the night of the rape... meaning the father doesn't believe his son is a rapist, so any extrapolation with the premise that the father believes his son is a rapist isn't valid. All evidence points to his son being a rapist, but it is not that crazy or indefensible of an idea that family irrationally sides with family against those odds, and I don't think that kind of loyalty makes somebody a bad person--only the perpetrator.

If his son says it's consensual and he believes his son over the accuser out of parental instinct, then that 20 minutes of action was just that in his mind: consensual and not rape. I don't know what in that letter makes you think the father believes his son is a rapist, because he straight up says that he thinks his son isn't violent, even on the night of the rape... meaning the father doesn't believe his son is a rapist, so any extrapolation with the premise that the father believes his son is a rapist isn't valid. All evidence points to his son being a rapist, but it is not that crazy or indefensible of an idea that family irrationally sides with family against those odds, and I don't think that kind of loyalty makes somebody a bad person--only the perpetrator.

Call his rapist son's victim essentially a slut makes him a bad person.

What's the source for that letter? Why is the person it's addressed to cut off?
It's part of a letter the rapist's father wrote prior to sentencing

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...s_why_his_victim_had_to_write_her_letter.html

KevinCow

Banned

I feel like if he truly believed that his son was innocent, then instead of the "20 minutes of action" thing, he'd have said something about "unfounded accusations" or whatever. But in that note, the dad doesn't say anything about his child being innocent. He goes on and on about his son's snacking habits, but not once does he say, "My child is being accused of a crime he did not commit." I mean, if I were a father, and my son was being accused of something that he swore to me he did not do, then that would be pretty much the first thing I'd put in a note meant to defend him.

The fact the he uses the "20 minutes of action" argument instead of arguing that his son is innocent sounds like he knows his son did it, but thinks it's just not a big deal.

Call his son's victim essentially a slut makes him a bad person.

If he believes it's consensual based on his son's testimony, then he doesn't believe she is a victim, so from his perspective he is not calling a rape victim a slut. Rather, from his perspective his son is the victim of accusations. Again, he is wrong and his son is a rapist, but you can't extrapolate much more about the father's character when his position is warped by familial loyalty, which is pretty normal.

Tigress

If he believes it's consensual based on his son's testimony, then he doesn't believe she is a victim, so from his perspective he is not calling a rape victim a slut. Rather, from his perspective his son is the victim of accusations. Again, he is wrong and his son is a rapist, but you can't extrapolate much more about the father's character when his position is warped by familial loyalty, which is pretty normal.

But he doesn't say that he believes his son was accused wrongly. He says it was wrong to punish him over 20 minutes of action. If he was denying the charges, he'd outright say it (my son did not do it and has been falsely charged). He'd be saying it was a false charge and it is wrong to ruin his life over an "accusation". Not 20 minutes of action.

But he doesn't say that he believes his son was accused wrongly. He says it was wrong to punish him over 20 minutes of action. If he was denying the charges, he'd outright say it (my son did not do it and has been falsely charged). He'd be saying it was a false charge and it is wrong to ruin his life over an "accusation". Not 20 minutes of action.

His son was already deemed guilty at this point. Saying, "no he's not," isn't going to change the sentencing. This is why he spends the majority of the letter talking about the ramifications of the judicial proceedings, the ramifications of any sentencing, and proposes lighter alternative sentencing, and barely a sentence about the crime itself. Sentences aren't decided based on whether or not the judge believes the accused is guilty or not. I think this case speaks much more about the judge than it does the father--I expect family to behave this way, but I expect a judge to make rational, impartial decisions.

I really don't care.

Calling a rape victim a slut is garbage and I can and will judge him plenty.

Also both father and son speak the same language of alcohol and "promiscuity"

It's clear the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Let me ask you this.

If he didn't think his son was guilty of something, then why did he spend the entire last portion of the letter saying it was the victim's fault?

liquidtmd

Banned
"20 minutes of action"

Did no-one, at any point, not pre-vet this open statement and think maaaaaaaaybe not the best turn of phrase.

Jesus wept.

Let me ask you this.

If he didn't think his son was guilty of something, then why did he spend the entire last portion of the letter saying it was the victim's fault?

He didn't. He spent two sentences of a 3-page letter implying that his son and the victim had sex because of alcohol.

Then he spent the rest of it talking about the evils of alcohol and promiscuity.

What the fuck do you think he was talking about there?

No, that "rest of it" is the two sentences I'm referring to. It's like 2.5 pages of him talking about what a kind person his son is, followed by a paragraph about how he thinks his son has already been punished enough, and then those two sentences about alcohol and promiscuity.

Brakke

Banned
It's part of a letter the rapist's father wrote prior to sentencing

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...s_why_his_victim_had_to_write_her_letter.html

That article didn't really answer my questions, but it lead me to a couple answers on the Twitter of this Michelle Dauber:

So we presume it was addressed to the court, and was in the record prior to sentence. Seems it was after verdict, tho(?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom