• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

I finished the arcade Battletoads the other day and I can't decide which one of the two I liked least. If they make a new one, I hope they don't stick too close to the original material. The new Killer Instinct gives me some confidence, at least.

I'll probably play Perfect Dark next since I've never done so. I liked Goldeneye well enough, so I have high hopes.

You'll love Perfect Dark.

Timu

I think the NES version is better than the arcade one, since its difficulty can mostly be overcome with memorization and reflexes. That arcade game was designed to suck out quarters and it shows since I had trouble beating some encounters even with rewind.
Funny enough you can still beat the arcade game using no continues. It requires a crapton of dedication though.

Thanks for the help!

I just joined a PD online match with five players. It's amazing.

Yup,
I didnt realize that Perfect Dark Zero has some classic Goldeneye/PD maps. I am having an awesome time with MP. Feels great to play the original maps in a more modernized way. I love the weapons, gadgets, and mix of sights with run and gun. Single player is still broken and poorly designed though.

I cant find any online matches in OG Perfect Dark, is that what you are referring to? Is anyone pkaying that online anymore?

Bread

Banned
Yup,
I didnt realize that Perfect Dark Zero has some classic Goldeneye/PD maps. I am having an awesome time with MP. Feels great to play the original maps in a more modernized way. I love the weapons, gadgets, and mix of sights with run and gun. Single player is still broken and poorly designed though.

I cant find any online matches in OG Perfect Dark, is that what you are referring to? Is anyone pkaying that online anymore?
How is the sp broken and poorly designed

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Think I burnt myself out a little. Did the Snapshots for the first 6/7 games, and a lot of the milestones. Did 100% Banjo-Kazooie and Conker. Started PD and PDZ but don't currently have the patience for it, so I started Grabbed by the Ghoulies and did the first chapter.

Are the Viva Pinata games genuinely relaxing? I want something that's not too demanding, if you know what I mean.

Yup,

Yep, I was talking about the original Perfect Dark. But you have to be very lucky to find online matches with more than one or two players. :(

Gartooth

When I got this game I decided that I was going to go game by game in release order and get all milestones / snapshots done. I already broke that order to play both BattleToads games, but I might be breaking that rule more. Some of these pre-NES games are terrible, do I even want to finish Sabrewulf and Underwurlde? :/

Jetpac was great, and Atic Atac is decent.

Think I burnt myself out a little. Did the Snapshots for the first 6/7 games, and a lot of the milestones. Did 100% Banjo-Kazooie and Conker. Started PD and PDZ but don't currently have the patience for it, so I started Grabbed by the Ghoulies and did the first chapter.

Are the Viva Pinata games genuinely relaxing? I want something that's not too demanding, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, that series is pretty relaxing. There can be challenges where Ruffians or Sour Pinatas will wreak havoc on your garden. If you want to avoid those things then Viva Pinata: TiP includes a "Just for Fun" mode.

Mr White

Some of the early stages have warp points that allow you to skip a level. The Turbo Tunnel goes on for a little bit longer than that warp point, but not by much.
Yeah, actually there is warp in a very beginning of the first stage. Just kill first two enemies with sprint and then run to the right.

Completely agree that Dark Souls is nothing like a modern BattleToads. Turbo Tunnel is pretty hard given how long the level lasts for, but I managed to get some of the harder sections down. That level is probably notorious just because of the massive difficulty spike after the first two levels.

Agreed on Clinger Winger being the hardest in the RR version of the game. The other levels are much more doable with rewind enabled. I think the only other level that compares on its insane difficulty is Rat Race and Terra Tubes.

What makes Clinger Winger doable is the pause trick I outlined below.
Yup that makes it doable. I did that and still had to spam the rewind. I just lost my patience with that level.

Lothar

Banned
Ornstein and Smough took me less than an hour. Turbo Tunnel took me days and then you have levels like Terra Tubes which are far worse.

I really don't understand Turbo Tunnels taking days or being unfair. For most of it, it's the same up down up down pattern. It's just a matter of reflexes. It would be so much worse if it tried to trick you by having two blocks that are up in a row, but it doesn't do that. (The SNES version does) There's one really tricky section where you have to jump platforms and it might catch you off guard on your first time. But if you know you have to jump and you don't panic and go all over the place with the d-pad, I don't see how you wouldn't be able to do it every time.

How does that compare to Ornstein and Smough, where you're fighting one boss and the other kills you from behind? I don't think I suck at video games, but I'm sure I attempted that fight 100+ times before doing it in what felt like sheer luck.

I'll grant you that there are parts in Battletoads where you will die if you don't know what's coming like the gears section in Terra Tubes, but I don't think Dark Souls is any different. Bed of Chaos until you memorize what to do = death. Going into the skeleton section in the beginning = death. Trying to kill the first dragon on the bridge instead of running away = death. First time you get to the archers in Anar Lando = death. First time you run into the enemies that shoot toxic darts at you from darkness = death. Encountering your first mimic = death.

Gartooth

Yeah, even the developers have said that the game was designed to pretty much suck out quarters in the making of Battletoads video. One of the bosses apparently can't actually be killed for the first minute of the battle or so. You're not actually doing any damage to him at all, even though it looks like you are. :p

What's funny is that I saw that video before playing BattleToads Arcade, and I still instinctively started shooting at the final boss even though it didn't matter. XD

hunchback

Want a hint in banjo?
Stand on the oranges plates on the ground to get him to throw oranges at them, then climb the tree to get an orange for the chimp.

Hold back after launching off a snow mound to freestyle.

Thank you kind sir. Your hint worked perfect. I'm having a blast with these game's.

I still play Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on my old N64. They're still fine and fun to play for me.

They are both non-linear shooters. That's why they still feel fresh imo. With each higher difficulty you get more objectives to complete. Even the multiplayer is still fantastic. No perks, no level-up-system. Just 4(8)- player fun with amazing level design.

daTRUballin

They are both non-linear shooters. That's why they still feel fresh imo. With each higher difficulty you get more objectives to complete. Even the multiplayer is still fantastic. No perks, no level-up-system. Just 4(8)- player fun with amazing level design.

Yeah, I don't understand why some people can't play them because "they've aged poorly" nowadays. I've played quite a few modern shooters, and I sometimes play games like COD with my friends, either online or split-screen, and I do have fun with those newer games. But I can still play games like GE or PD and still have fun with them as well.

I guess it just depends if you can "handle" older games or not, but I feel this makes games like GE and PD underappreciated.

might be a dumb question...but how do I leave a level in blast corps. I am at the truck I am supposed to go to and nothing is happening. The level technically already ended, it took me to the stat screen when the objective left the map, but I pressed "Go", which took me back to the level and I collected the rest of the stuff there was...now I cant find out how to proceed to the next level

Kinsei

Banned
might be a dumb question...but how do I leave a level in blast corps. I am at the truck I am supposed to go to and nothing is happening. The level technically already ended, it took me to the stat screen when the objective left the map, but I pressed "Go", which took me back to the level and I collected the rest of the stuff there was...now I cant find out how to proceed to the next level

Hit Y to get out of your vehicle and walk into the truck.

Kinsei

Banned
holy shit, you can walk around, thats crazy! lol

Yep. You see stuff like the train in the first level? You can drive them. I highly recommend getting the American Dream car in the first level, it's pretty much required to get gold on some of the later races.

MrGerbils

I've been only playing the pre 64 games because I'm afraid if I start one up, get deep in but then get stuck a little I won't ever get back to the rest of the collection as new games start releasing for XOne. But I think it's time to get over it and jump in to either Banjo (which I have played) or Blast Corps (which I haven't).

StillEdge

I've done all the playlists except the first one. I can't beat Dramatic Exit. Haven't even seen the exit door that's how far I don't get. -_- so hard. I've watched a video of someone doing it. It's just so impossible to me.

Spent more time on this game tonight, managed to clear Attic Attack with the other two characters to complete all the milestones in the game. Its my surprise favourite game of the collection, I think the decent map (which I managed to start memorising toward the end) and the plentiful health supply makes it feel like a much fairer game compared to other Spectrum Rare games.

I also started my Blast Corps playthrough. This was my favourite game for the N64 and my opinion on the game has not changed one bit. Really fast arcadey fun with a nice hint of puzzles in the later levels. The soundtrack is fab as well, the only milestone I forsee perhaps being an issue is the platinum medal, I've got a couple before but that was entirely by accident!

Timu

I really don't understand Turbo Tunnels taking days or being unfair. For most of it, it's the same up down up down pattern. It's just a matter of reflexes. It would be so much worse if it tried to trick you by having two blocks that are up in a row, but it doesn't do that. (The SNES version does) There's one really tricky section where you have to jump platforms and it might catch you off guard on your first time. But if you know you have to jump and you don't panic and go all over the place with the d-pad, I don't see how you wouldn't be able to do it every time.

How does that compare to Ornstein and Smough, where you're fighting one boss and the other kills you from behind? I don't think I suck at video games, but I'm sure I attempted that fight 100+ times before doing it in what felt like sheer luck.

I'll grant you that there are parts in Battletoads where you will die if you don't know what's coming like the gears section in Terra Tubes, but I don't think Dark Souls is any different. Bed of Chaos until you memorize what to do = death. Going into the skeleton section in the beginning = death. Trying to kill the first dragon on the bridge instead of running away = death. First time you get to the archers in Anar Lando = death. First time you run into the enemies that shoot toxic darts at you from darkness = death. Encountering your first mimic = death.
The Turbo Tunnel gets faster and harder as you progress, plus mastering the jumps, the object placement and having no room for error are something that takes time which is why most people couldn't beat it on their 1st try(and probably not in a day), and limited lives and continues don't help either. Also with how Battletoads is programmed it's easy to miss landing your jumps you should had made due to the depth perception which also takes some time to perfect.

It took me 20 tries to beat Ornstein and Smough, but it's best to kill Ornstein 1st because Smough is easier. If you kill Smough 1st then it gets even harder to kill Ornstein.

goldenpp72

I beat the turbo tunnel in the snapshot in 3 tries, though that's after beating it on the normal game in co op which was a pain. Is that as bad as it gets?

daTRUballin

I'm wondering about something. So I've seen the documentary videos about Banjo, Conker, Blast Corps, Battletoads, and Killer Instinct on Youtube (the ones you have to unlock in Rare Replay). Is that all of them? Is there any more making of videos in RR? I don't seem to find any more uploaded videos on Youtube besides the ones I've seen.

Edit: Oh yeah, there's also the "What makes a Rare game?" one, which I've seen as well. And I think there's also the one where it shows how they made the song for Rare Replay. But is there any more?

Complex is my second home (haven't played Goldeneye since my childhood though). I beat him (random player) 20:1 and he left, lol. I don't feel bad....no.....I feel good. GOOOD.

This game is an awesome collection, but gees does it crash way more than it has any right to when trying to get snapshots done (I don't know if it crashed regularly when just playing the games, as I plan to do all snapshots first). This is kind of embarrassing for games that were out before the NES are crashing my Xbox One to the home screen every couple of hours of continuos play.

I beat the turbo tunnel in the snapshot in 3 tries, though that's after beating it on the normal game in co op which was a pain. Is that as bad as it gets?

No, it gets worse.

This game is an awesome collection, but gees does it crash way more than it has any right to when trying to get snapshots done (I don't know if it crashed regularly when just playing the games, as I plan to do all snapshots first). This is kind of embarrassing for games that were out before the NES are crashing my Xbox One to the home screen every couple of hours of continuos play.

I've never had a crash and I've got 5 snapshots left to do.

The Flash

Banned
15b.gif

i did it

MrGerbils

I've had 0 crashes so far. Maybe try a hard reset of your Xbox?

Picked it up last night and blasted through 10 races of RC Pro Am with the biggest smile on my inner child's face. After that I smashed a level or two of Battletoads Arcade and bulldozed a quick mission of Blast Corps.

The presentation of this package is awesome. I can't wait to play Viva Pinata with a mate who's been waiting for one of us to pick this up. Also can't wait to play through Perfect Dark again. My son and daughter are going to love Banjo too.

Drago

I'm wondering about something. So I've seen the documentary videos about Banjo, Conker, Blast Corps, Battletoads, and Killer Instinct on Youtube (the ones you have to unlock in Rare Replay). Is that all of them? Is there any more making of videos in RR? I don't seem to find any more uploaded videos on Youtube besides the ones I've seen.

Edit: Oh yeah, there's also the "What makes a Rare game?" one, which I've seen as well. And I think there's also the one where it shows how they made the song for Rare Replay. But is there any more?
There's also Making Of Viva Piñata and Jet Force Gemini.

There's two featurettes: What makes a Rare game, and The voices behind the characters.

Then there's the unreleased game videos (5 total), Concept art showcases for PDZ, Kameo, VP and Banjo N&B, and finally unreleased music (18 in all).

AFAIK no video on the Rare Replay song, there is this though: https://youtu.be/whfxwi2bb6A

Kinsei

Banned
I'm having a blast with Jet Force Gemini. I really wish I had made it this far as a kid (I just beat the second boss), but I don't think I ever made it past the Anubis.

There's a making of for Jet Force Gemini and Viva Pinata as well. There's a "Behind the Voices" movie too. There's also videos of unreleased games, concept art showcases, and unreleased music as well (Stuff from unreleased games like Project Dream and stuff that was cut out of released games).

daTRUballin

There's also Making Of Viva Piñata and Jet Force Gemini.

There's two featurettes: What makes a Rare game, and The voices behind the characters.

Then there's the unreleased game videos (5 total), Concept art showcases for PDZ, Kameo, VP and Banjo N&B, and finally unreleased music (18 in all).

AFAIK no video on the Rare Replay song, there is this though: https://youtu.be/whfxwi2bb6A

I'm having a blast with Jet Force Gemini. I really wish I had made it this far as a kid (I just beat the second boss), but I don't think I ever made it past the Anubis.

There's a making of for Jet Force Gemini and Viva Pinata as well. There's a "Behind the Voices" movie too. There's also videos of unreleased games, concept art showcases, and unreleased music as well (Stuff from unreleased games like Project Dream and stuff that was cut out of released games).

Ok. Thanks guys. Do you guys know if they show anything about the Gamecube version of PDZ? I've always been interested to see how it was like. :p

Top Bottom