• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Did Capcom get in trouble for running MM1-6 on an NES emulator on the PS2 release of Megaman Anniversary Collection?

I don't know. I haven't done a ton (read: any) research into it, and clearly by its inclusion in this collection that makes it not illegal, but on the surface it seems like selling for profit an emulated version of a console you don't own the rights to is something that Nintendo, or any first party, would not be cool with

daTRUballin

Just heard that the intro to Conker's Bad Fur Day got axed. :(

Makes sense since they can't use the N64 logo, but still...

Even if they would've been able to put it in, it would've looked like Microsoft were showing hatred towards Nintendo or something, so I can see why they probably wouldn't have waned to put it in. :p

Xemnas89

So apparently I've ran into some sort of glitch in banjo kazooie which prevents me from getting all the music notes in the last few worlds. From what I've read it happens if you complete the bottles bonus game before going to mad monster mansion. From what I read it was patched on the 360 but the Rare Replay version doesn't seem to have the patch.

Kinsei

Banned
So apparently I've ran into some sort of glitch in banjo kazooie which prevents me from getting all the music notes in the last few worlds. From what I've read it happens if you complete the bottles bonus game before going to mad monster mansion. From what I read it was patched on the 360 but the Rare Replay version doesn't seem to have the patch.

You sure? How many notes are you missing?

FyreWulff

So are the N64 games really running off an N64 emulator? Because without getting Nintendo's permission for that, that seems.. illegal?

Writing an emulator for hardware you didn't make is 100% legal as long as you don't use any copyrighted software from the original company to get it running (like BIOSes or a game image).

However, for all we know, Microsoft simply paid Nintendo in some sort of way for tech/code to speed up their dev process. We did just get DK64 on the Wii U VC (and the DKC games) and it has all the MS trademarked stuff (Jetpac, Rare logos, Killer Instinct) still in the game. Not all deals like that are particularly publically announced, and it's possible it was a straight up trade (Nintendo can put up their Rare games with Nintendo IP untouched, while MS gets a guarantee of no lawsuits for their N64 emulator)

Xemnas89

You sure? How many notes are you missing?

Four in mad monster mansion. I've already looked up a video and saw where the music notes I'm missing are supposed to be. Apparently the glitch makes it where four notes from the last three worlds just wont appear.

I don't know. I haven't done a ton (read: any) research into it, and clearly by its inclusion in this collection that makes it not illegal, but on the surface it seems like selling for profit an emulated version of a console you don't own the rights to is something that Nintendo, or any first party, would not be cool with

Nope, you can do it all without stealing any code/IP from Nintendo

It's also why we had this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleem!

Richie

Also, it's very obvious some names were removed from the credits in this version... I'm guessing those were the Nintendo names? Removing logos is one thing, but I'm not sure how I feel about them taking names out of the credits...

I don't know about the games native to Rare Replay, but at least Banjo Kazooie (which is the 360 version) keeps Nintendo names in its credits. Specifically, Yamauchi is mentioned by Loggo. Loggo....is a toilet. I wonder what old man Yamauchi thought of the host they chose to namedrop him bwhahhaha

Writing an emulator for hardware you didn't make is 100% legal as long as you don't use any copyrighted software from the original company to get it running (like BIOSes or a game image).

However, for all we know, Microsoft simply paid Nintendo in some sort of way for tech/code to speed up their dev process. We did just get DK64 on the Wii U VC (and the DKC games) and it has all the MS trademarked stuff (Jetpac, Rare logos, Killer Instinct) still in the game. Not all deals like that are particularly publically announced, and it's possible it was a straight up trade (Nintendo can put up their Rare games with Nintendo IP untouched, while MS gets a guarantee of no lawsuits for their N64 emulator)

The thought of the trade crossed my mind. let DK64 up on the VC unaltered in exchange for help emulating some N64 games. We'll likely never know, but it's certainly possible

Anyway, just a thought that crossed my mind. Just got all the stamps for the original Jetpac!

I loved Goldeneye as a kid, but when I rented Perfect Dark and played the first level I wasn't sure of what to think.

It quickly became one of my favourite games, though, and something I played a shitload of. Hundreds of hours at least.

I've never beaten the final boss, though.

FyreWulff

I loved Goldeneye as a kid, but when I rented Perfect Dark and played the first level I wasn't sure of what to think.

It quickly became one of my favourite games, though, and something I played a shitload of. Hundreds of hours at least.

I've never beaten the final boss, though.

Can you get to the final room? if so

Early on in the mission, blow up the two pillars that you do NOT put trackers on. This will cause double Pheonixs to spawn at the ravine gap you have to cross.

Set them to Explosive Rounds. Fire on the Skedar King nonstop with these, he'll immediately go into his kneel animation, then you can just shoot the pieces of the statue near him off. as soon as he gets up, hit him with the Pheonix explosions again. He'll never be able to teleport and the explosions will detonate any rockets he fires at you if he somehow does.

Yep, I was talking about the original Perfect Dark. But you have to be very lucky to find online matches with more than one or two players. :(

Too bad, but if you or anyone else wants to get some matches going, let me know. Id love to play some old school PD.

How is the sp broken and poorly designed

The campaign still has game breaking bugs. For example, and this has happened to me both times I've played the campaign, but in the intro level where you free the astronaut, and then go to the second room and shoot the spiderbots, the AI breaks and doesn't lead you to the next door. This causes the door to not function and the player to be unable to proceed until the level is reloaded.

As for design, the level layouts just seem poorly laid out and confusing. You eventually figure it out, but usually not until after the guide arrows pop up or you wander aimlessly for far too long. I understand that it's great to have open-ended levels that require thought, but this just feels far more in the realm of thoughtless and unfocused. Like the game was rushed out before the design kinks were noticed.

I still have fun playing it, but it's not ehat Id call quality game design.

Can you get to the final room? if so

Early on in the mission, blow up the two pillars that you do NOT put trackers on. This will cause double Pheonixs to spawn at the ravine gap you have to cross.

Set them to Explosive Rounds. Fire on the Skedar King nonstop with these, he'll immediately go into his kneel animation, then you can just shoot the pieces of the statue near him off. as soon as he gets up, hit him with the Pheonix explosions again. He'll never be able to teleport and the explosions will detonate any rockets he fires at you if he somehow does.

I've gotten to the final boss, but didn't know how to take down his shield.

Thanks

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I beat Ghoulies earlier and maaaaan that game gets annoying in the later sections. Game was alright overall but I was starting to sour on it room to room as due to the mechanics allowing basically anything to happen with the changing of HP values/rules on a whim you could breeze through everything and smack into a wall.

The noise Mr. Ribs makes is pretty amazing though.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Beat Sabre Wulf. I had a blast with this game using a map. I just opened the map in paint and marked all of the areas I'd been to off until I found all of the amulet pieces. I don't think I'd have the patience to play without a map though. Same with Atic Atac. Onto UnderWurlde now.

I beat Ghoulies earlier and maaaaan that game gets annoying in the later sections. Game was alright overall but I was starting to sour on it room to room as due to the mechanics allowing basically anything to happen with the changing of HP values/rules on a whim you could breeze through everything and smack into a wall.

The noise Mr. Ribs makes is pretty amazing though.

Yeah, I felt the same way. It got repetitive and had too many chokepoints near the end.

Some of the rooms got pretty cheap

Xemnas89

So how exactly do you do ultra combos in KI Gold? I'm trying it with sabrewulf but I can't get it to work. I know the input but I just don't quite have a handle on the way old ki plays.

Nevermind it kind of clicked with me now.

Killer

Banned
Wow Grabbed by the Ghoulies look fantastic and it's actually a good game. I heard on Bombcast it didn't review well just because MS bought Rare. GAME JOURNALISTS.

Wow Grabbed by the Ghoulies look fantastic and it's actually a good game. I heard on Bombcast it didn't review well just because MS bought Rare. GAME JOURNALISTS.

Its mid-seventies Metacritic score isn't bad. To me, a 7 is good.

It got some negative reviews, yes, but its average is fair. It is a 7-7.5 game, and is not great, because it gets really repetitive, has some control issues and is very cheap at times.

I'd give it a 7, perhaps a 6.5 though.

Killer

Banned
Its mid-seventies Metacritic score isn't bad. To me, a 7 is good.

It got some negative reviews, yes, but its average is fair. It is a 7-7.5 game, and is not great, because it gets really repetitive, has some control issues and is very cheap at times.

I remember the reviews being worse than that. It's not Rare's best, but still enjoyable.

DJ_Lae

Ghoulies would be pretty bad as a full-priced game - it feels more like a cheaper download-only affair, and holds up pretty well here just because of its low price point.

I've been enjoying most of the older games in their own right too, although each time I play Underwurlde I'm confused. I'm doing the snapshots at the moment and the game amazes me in terms of how awful it is.

Everything else is mediocre at worst. But Underwurlde is an all-out stinker, unless there's just something I'm missing about it.

Bread

Banned
Too bad, but if you or anyone else wants to get some matches going, let me know. Id love to play some old school PD.

The campaign still has game breaking bugs. For example, and this has happened to me both times I've played the campaign, but in the intro level where you free the astronaut, and then go to the second room and shoot the spiderbots, the AI breaks and doesn't lead you to the next door. This causes the door to not function and the player to be unable to proceed until the level is reloaded.

As for design, the level layouts just seem poorly laid out and confusing. You eventually figure it out, but usually not until after the guide arrows pop up or you wander aimlessly for far too long. I understand that it's great to have open-ended levels that require thought, but this just feels far more in the realm of thoughtless and unfocused. Like the game was rushed out before the design kinks were noticed.

I still have fun playing it, but it's not ehat Id call quality game design.
shit i thought you were talking about the original, not PDZ. my bad!

Just great!!! I just experienced a game breaking bug in Conker, and now I can't progress.

In the very last portion of War when your running back to the beach with the countdown clock I somehow managed to die right when I made it the the end. So, the game decided to respawn me back at the naval yard and not at the beach without showing a cut scene. I can walk around and see all of the destruction in the main hub, including the windmill, but I can't trigger any cut scenes.

I seem to be permanently stuck and can not progress. And I know I am not missing anything obvious because I can replay the same portion under chapter select and it progresses just fine, it is just that any progress I make with chapter select does not get saved. I tried hard closing the game and restarting Rare Replay but it seems that the game save is the one damaged. Has this happened to anyone else or know of any solutions?

daTRUballin

Ghoulies would be pretty bad as a full-priced game - it feels more like a cheaper download-only affair, and holds up pretty well here just because of its low price point.

I've been enjoying most of the older games in their own right too, although each time I play Underwurlde I'm confused. I'm doing the snapshots at the moment and the game amazes me in terms of how awful it is.

Everything else is mediocre at worst. But Underwurlde is an all-out stinker, unless there's just something I'm missing about it.

Errr, what?

Edit: Oops. For some reason I read that as mediocre at best. Not sure why. :p

kingwingin

How often does perfect dark zero save? I played for awhile when I first got the game but today I jump back in and I have to start from the beginning?

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I also finished Ghoulies today. I liked it, but it started to wear a bit thin towards the end. It's very short, but I'm sure I would have gotten completely tired of it had it been longer.

A few of the Rare books were kind of frustrating to get, especially towards the end when
you're on a strict time limit.

Yep. I felt the same way about it.

Wow, Conker is one of the best games I've ever played. I lost 3 hours of save yesterday (only took an hour and a half or so to do again because I knew exactly what to do) and it's so good that that hardly bothered me. Plus it was an excuse to play the great mighty poo again. I've started BK at least 5 times and never finished, yet I just played like 60-70% of Conker in the last 12 hours. It's...just incredible. Fantastic music, awesome overworld, and just super fun and enjoyable gameplay. The later acts feel like different games. I'm on the 8th act now and I don't want it to ever end.

Looking forward to finally beating BK after this and definitely gonna try Ghoulies soon. This collection is something else man

15b.gif

i did it

yay...get to join the club

MrGerbils

You should be able to.

I'm sure it's real simple but I can't figure out how to do it.

In case it's not obvious: I'm trying to cheese the "beat the game w/ every character" achievement. It didn't take long and it was fun to see everything for the first time (somehow I completely missed this when it was in arcades) but I didn't really like the game enough to want to actually replay it two more times. :p

I'm sure it's real simple but I can't figure out how to do it.

In case it's not obvious: I'm trying to cheese the "beat the game w/ every character" achievement. It didn't take long and it was fun to see everything for the first time (somehow I completely missed this when it was in arcades) but I didn't really like the game enough to want to actually replay it two more times. :p

i couldnt figure out a way to cheese it. Just put on some podcasts and played through it two more times. I did read that if you play it with other people, all the characters that are being played as will count for everyone.

Xemnas89

Wow, Conker is one of the best games I've ever played. I lost 3 hours of save yesterday (only took an hour and a half or so to do again because I knew exactly what to do) and it's so good that that hardly bothered me. Plus it was an excuse to play the great mighty poo again. I've started BK at least 5 times and never finished, yet I just played like 60-70% of Conker in the last 12 hours. It's...just incredible. Fantastic music, awesome overworld, and just super fun and enjoyable gameplay. The later acts feel like different games. I'm on the 8th act now and I don't want it to ever end.

Looking forward to finally beating BK after this and definitely gonna try Ghoulies soon. This collection is something else man

That's something I've always liked about Conker. It starts out like and adventure/platformer but it introduces so many different gameplay elements in its second half that it becomes something much more. Now I'd say some of those late game sections haven't aged well in the 64 version but it's still enjoyable.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, Battletoads really is insanely hard. I never finished it when I was younger (couldn't get past the bikes) but managed to do it here. The game just keeps getting crazier.

Still a technical feat, though. The mix of gameplay styles combined with some very impressive visuals makes it feel like a Western take on a Treasure game before Treasure existed. I'd actually love to see a real sequel that is mechanically sound.

Love the CRT filter but I wish they included a version of it without the screen curvature.

I never gave Kameo a chance despite owning it day one. The intro put me off so bad for some reason that i never even bothered finishing it and just went straight to King Kong instead

Man i really regret that decision. I just played two hours straight and I really fucking love this game. Got to the forest temple and just love the colors, music, charm, scale...what else? Its good. Real good
Opposite for me. I used to like Kameo back around launch but, after playing it for the Backwards Compatibility article I did, I found it intolerable. The character movement is just awful and not at all fun to use. Glad you're enjoying it, though!

So after coming away finishing all the stamps for the original Jetpac and actually really enjoying it, Lunar Jetman is INFURIATING. One of the strengths of Jetpac was how simple and accessible it was, and how addicting to just give it another go. Lunar Jetman by contrast wastes no time getting into some bullshit

daninthemix

Opposite for me. I used to like Kameo back around launch but, after playing it for the Backwards Compatibility article I did, I found it intolerable. The character movement is just awful and not at all fun to use. Glad you're enjoying it, though!

Kameo is gorgeous and innovative even now! I would say the only creature with truly intolerable handling is Deep Blue. My only real complaint with the game is the constant interruptions from micro-cutscenes that always reset your controls (e.g. if you're in the middle of aiming at something). The score attack / expert mode / bullet-time system is really, really addictive if you get into it.

Is anyone playing Viva Pinata? I got a really shitty glitch, my pinatas only have hearts over their heads for a few seconds at a time each day. Even if their requirements are met or I've fed them a romance candy, the hearts won't appear, then they'll appear later for a few seconds and disappear again.

If I manage to direct them towards each other while the hearts are up they romance, but when the hearts aren't visible they won't. I don't have too many pinatas or not enough space.

Really hoping there's a way to fix this since obviously having to follow a pinata around waiting for a heart to appear and then hoping I can find another before it fades out makes the game basically unplayable. I'm about three in-game weeks in so I really don't want to lose my save.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The mix of gameplay styles combined with some very impressive visuals makes it feel like a Western take on a Treasure game before Treasure existed.

Funny you should say that... Konami's Bucky O'Hare game for NES was made by a big chunk of the future Treasure team and is similarly gimmick-laden.

Tried Grabbed by the Ghoulies last night. And honestly its pretty decent. Not the greatest, but decent. Wasnt for sure what to expect given its reputation.

I do believe the buyout effected reviews for Rare from people being bitter, but i think if any game deserved a higher rating it was Kameo. Kameo is a phenomenal game in my opinion, and some of Rare's best work.

Top Bottom