• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| The Skinemax of MOBAs

NBtoaster

Well, it's relatively easy once you have all your weapons leveled up. But if you've just gone straight through w/out replaying levels and getting medals / skill points, yea, it's pretty freakin' tough.

Yeah I've just been advancing the story. I'll try some other things before attempting it again.

What can we expect in terms of online co-op in this game? Sorry for asking, we've tried to look it up but most previews don't mention specifically what kind of modes are available in online co-op. Definitely won't play the single player nor the 2 humans vs 2 humans mode but we'll take the plunge if there's enough content to play online together. Hoping for story and some skirmish mode against 2 AIs. Also is the demo co-op enabled?

Lombax

Banned
Do you have access to a PS3? If so, that could be a loophole.

I do not but thank you for the suggestion.

Come to think of it here is a question: If I were to buy the PS3 version now would I be able to download it on my Vita in January [keeping in mind i do not have a ps3] ? Sorry silly question but is the Vita download a code inside the box?

krae_man

I do not but thank you for the suggestion.

Come to think of it here is a question: If I were to buy the PS3 version now would I be able to download it on my Vita in January [keeping in mind i do not have a ps3] ? Sorry silly question but is the Vita download a code inside the box?

No, it is not. There is a "disk benefits" or something tab in the XMB you use to access the Vita version when it goes live in January.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Thanks for the heads up, but man I don't like that one at all. I feel like an idiot for passing on the first one hoping for something better.

It's a very different take, though I like / appreciate that. I like seeing the world through all the artists' eyes.

That said, I think you'll like the third and final print

KalBalboa

Banned
Just played the demo and was really impressed with how good it feels. I'll be buying this tomorrow, for sure (payday, and all). The humor is probably my favorite I've seen so far in a Ratchet game and the visuals are a lot better than I was expecting. The whole thing is really easy on the eyes and plays really smooth, and it's nice to have more to think about then just shoot, shoot, smash, smash (though there's plenty of that).

The Vita version can't come soon enough.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
any idea on how often the other prints will be released?

Print #1 was released and sold out about a month ago. It just should be arriving to buyers this week or early next.

Print #2 is on sale now should sell out during the weekend but probably before.

Print #3 will be revealed and put on sale before the end of the year.

8byte

Banned
Just finished the third mission. The song that plays over the speakers is absolutely hilarious.

This was easily one of my most memorable moments in gaming this year. I lost it. Surely you're familiar with the video?

Also: use a Groovitron on the last stage. Trust me.

NBtoaster

Beat the game. Overall it was solid. The first three levels are much better than the others. I think the length is reasonable, it's fairly replayable. Haven't tried the multiplayer.

Does well: Exploration, normal combat, weapons, humor
Problems: Fourth level is ridiculous, defenses are very weak, framerate, general single player balance

Seventy5

I picked this up at Best Buy on Tuesday and I'm really enjoying the campaign. I was in the beta but only got to play a couple matches due to work, and I wasn't sure I would like it, but I get Insomniac games day one on faith alone and have yet to be disappointed. I finished the third level last night and had a difficult time, then I realized I could go back to the other stages for promotions. It's kind of a Ratchet themed Dungeon Defenders with Quark awesomeness. Can't wait to try the mp, I hope there is a decent sized community.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Downloaded the trial last night. The graphics are ace (as expected), but the tower defense gameplay really wasn't my thing at all, as having to keep going back and forth between the base and the power nodes got tedious very quickly. Best of luck though, and I hope Insomniac will go back to the standard R&C gameplay for the next game in the series (provided there is a next game).

SuperPac

Downloaded the trial last night. The graphics are ace (as expected), but the tower defense gameplay really wasn't my thing at all, as having to keep going back and forth between the base and the power nodes got tedious very quickly. Best of luck though, and I hope Insomniac will go back to the standard R&C gameplay for the next game in the series (provided there is a next game).

I hope you were boosting during the trips between the base and power nodes - makes it less tedious (and boosting through ammo boxes makes for fast replenishments). I played the demo but wasn't sure what to do after I completed the first level - I guess, go back in and try to get a better time? It didn't unlock anything else or give me a demo-completed message so I was a bit puzzled at what to do next. It didn't end with an upsell.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I hope you were boosting during the trips between the base and power nodes - makes it less tedious (and boosting through ammo boxes makes for fast replenishments). I played the demo but wasn't sure what to do after I completed the first level - I guess, go back in and try to get a better time? It didn't unlock anything else or give me a demo-completed message so I was a bit puzzled at what to do next. It didn't end with an upsell.

You can actually teleport between the nodes and the base, but having to go back to the base to defend it between each node got tedious rather fast. It's not a bad game by any means, but the tower defense gameplay isn't my thing at all.

8byte

Banned
Insomniac Games will be online today to play with folks! If you don't have your copy yet, get it now!! The MP is so good!!!

Toppot

Just beat it, holy balls is it intense!! =D

Unlike most other R&C games the time element really makes the game feel more urgent and tough. The game is also pretty tricky on the 4th level, I actually got my base destroyed once on it =[ (Damn that last tank!) Really got the adrenaline going. The dev times will be a biatch to beat.

A fair amount of replayability, story is standard (Nothing compares to ACiT), Ratchet is adorable as always and good old humor. Game is a bit short but it is cheaper which figures. Weapons are alright and level up nicely.

The tower defence element is nice, but i found myself not using turrets near the end, enemies took them out too quick and a better spend of bolts was mines to slow them down till I could get round to killing them myself.

I think the game is a nice spin off, definitely feels more Ratchety than All4One because its 'classic'. Still makes me yern for another full blown R&C game with depth, which this smaller title understandably lacks. I have more faith in the NC studio now, though I still don't care much for Qwarks small head or Clanks massive one.

Very well priced and fun, recommended! =D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So, um, was this supposed to come with an online pass or some sort of redeemable code for the eventual PSV digital copy? Retail, here.

Toppot

So, um, was this supposed to come with an online pass or some sort of redeemable code for the eventual PSV digital copy? Retail, here.

You have to go to Disc Extras under game when you have the game disc in your PS3. It should be explained on a slip of paper behind the instruction manual in the case (EU copy here) It explains it and that it only works on the PS3 you first put the disc in etc.

Mejilan

You have to go to Disc Extras under game when you have the game disc in your PS3. It should be explained on a slip of paper behind the instruction manual in the case (EU copy here) It explains it and that it only works on the PS3 you first put the disc in etc.

Thank you kindly. No such slip (or manual) in the American version of the game.
Just a slip with all of the usual warnings (health/safety/epilepsy/3D mode/etc.)

Hadn't yet popped the disc in, clearly.

:)

Toppot

Thank you kindly. No such slip (or manual) in the American version of the game.
Just a slip with all of the usual warnings (health/safety/epilepsy/3D mode/etc.)

Hadn't yet popped the disc in, clearly.

:)

No problem =] I took a picture of mine so you can see.

gd70H.jpg

Mejilan

Haha, thanks again.
I'll spare you a pic of the shitty little health & safety flier that came with my copy!

8byte

Banned
30fps
sub-res

and plays worse than the original R&C

what the hell

How does it play worse? If anything, I think this is the tightest a Ratchet title has ever played and clicked. It's different, absolutely, but worse? Ehhhh...

Played with some Insomniacs yesterday and had an awesome time. Really cool guys! Also played against Blypr (Bleeper) and got decimated.

Tagg9

Does anyone know how the ranking system works? I won a 2v2 match and then suddently dropped 75 points haha.

TripOpt55

I finished this game the other day and really liked it. The new aiming actually feels good except I kind of wish I could just whip around with the flamethrower. That is how I always use weapons like that by spinning. Though aiming it up at the flying ships is a must too in this game obviously. Also wish there was a morph weapon instead of just mines. Even if it was a throwable grenade-type weapon like the Groovitron.

Was going to try and play through it again with a friend in local co-op. Is there a way to replay it with cutscenes again?

Mesoian

Alright, after having a lot more games under my belt, I think I can say pretty openly, The full Frontal assault tie breaker is awful. It pretty much nullifies any strategy you had going in order to say "whoever gets to the other's base first wins".

8byte

Banned
Alright, after having a lot more games under my belt, I think I can say pretty openly, The full Frontal assault tie breaker is awful. It pretty much nullifies any strategy you had going in order to say "whoever gets to the other's base first wins".

This depends on how you've played, to be honest. If you're in a tie breaker situation, you can tell in round 3 or 4. Whenever I go past the 3rd round, I start investing pretty heavily in defensive fortifications instead of sending waves.

It's also important to ensure you can keep your panic button as long as possible, as it is almost an "auto win" during the Full Frontal Assault phase. The biggest concern is killing the other player, as they will quickly run down your defenses and rush your base.

It's tough, but it's also necessary. W/out this phase, games run for ages which negatively impacts match making since the player base isn't exactly enormous.

VanWinkle

I played the trial, and man, I really don't like it. Which is sad, because I would have loved a good R&C game to play on Vita. And I went immediately back and played A Crack in Time and it looked at least just as good but at 60fps. HUH?! That makes no sense. They're both sub-native res too and a little blurry so that wasn't a factor.

KalBalboa

Banned
I played the trial, and man, I really don't like it. Which is sad, because I would have loved a good R&C game to play on Vita. And I went immediately back and played A Crack in Time and it looked at least just as good but at 60fps. HUH?! That makes no sense. They're both sub-native res too and a little blurry so that wasn't a factor.

Maybe having split-screen co-op available factored into fps.

Top Bottom