• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| The Skinemax of MOBAs

Seventy5

Does anyone have tips for turret types and placement for single player? I'm on the 4th level and my turrets keep getting demolished no matter what I do. I always end up with no turrets left, and fighting both rows with just weapons does not work. Like not even a little bit. Help me be less terrible! Also, I really like Ratchet's design in this game, very cool evolution, especially his ears.

badgenome

Does anyone have tips for turret types and placement for single player? I'm on the 4th level and my turrets keep getting demolished no matter what I do. I always end up with no turrets left, and fighting both rows with just weapons does not work. Like not even a little bit. Help me be less terrible! Also, I really like Ratchet's design in this game, very cool evolution, especially his ears.

Use Warmonger turrets and a level 3 Sonic Eruptor, and you will WRECK that mission.

Tagg9

Attack things well before they get to you. You should have both mega weapons before taking out all the weather beacons. Otherwise, stick a few Warmonger and Ice turrets just outside your base and use the strongest electric shields.

fernoca

Got this game a few days ago.
At first I was overwhelmed by everything (protect the cores, create defenses, destroy enemies, go to this place, do this, follow the cable)..

But, once everything clicked; the game's a blast. Even when it includes a free digital copy of the Vita release, I wouldn't mind double-dipping on the retail Vita version come January.

Game's great and for $20, is more than worth it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
8byte a quick heads up

If you lose an energy generator, you get added a +1:00 minute penalty
We lost twice (dev time speaking) due to losing 1 or 2 and our time wasn't sufficient

When we just streamlined everything with out losing generators, we blew by dev times

Also after you get to Level 3

Heavy Barrier is a must, shock barrier not so much, save the bolts
Start with Buzz Blades (hopefully level 3)
Kill the 2 suicides for the first time, then quickly accumulate bots ASAP, at least 10K
2K for Heavy Barriers left and right
6K for 2 Warmonger turrets (one on each side)
Put them behind the shield
Now get to work, you have to quickly get the slingshot
Then accumulate bolts again
Put 2 more Warmongers on both sides (still behind the shield) so you have 2 Warmongers on the left and right side behind the shield
Now gun for one of the Heavy Weapons
Tank Countdown, use groovitron + tesla barriers combo, throw in pyro blaster with Mr. Zurkon, fucking cakewalk
Repeat same process again for the other heavy weapon
Best 2 mines you can place are 1-2 Transmorhers in front of the shield, 2 spaces up
Groovitron right on top of the shield as final time saver

Now just play to win

Wow, that's impressive. Especially the Resistance 2 Platinum.

Thankies <3

8byte

Banned
I feel like I'm having a tough time understanding this game. I have no interest in MOBA's or Tower Defense. If I'm looking for a SP Ratchet and Clank game along the lines of Quest for Booty, is this for me? I can't quite tell if the sp is just a MOBA & TD primer for multiplayer or actually a traditional but bite sized R&C campaign.

There's a lot of spectacular writing during banter, dialogue, and radio chatter. The gunplay is excellent, and there's a decent amount of exploration and replayability in it through skill points There's not, however, an abundance of cutscenes.

The game in single player is less about MOBA than the MP. It's more or less a set environment where you have to go out and gather resources (weapons and bolts) to build up your base defenses, while breaking down the enemy defense. Once you've taken the enemies defenses down, you reboot your defense station, and have to survive a last assault on your base.

That's it, in a nutshell. You'll have to replay a few levels before you can complete everything in one fell swoop, depending on how much you've leveled up your weapons, and which you've chosen. I'd recommend downloading the trial, if anything else.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So for those who got the Platinum trophy... How hard it is? Does it take a long time?

KOvjm.png

I had a very good co-op buddy in Toppot <3

It very doable, just have to learn patterns, get efficient with time and locations, streamline your setup
Trial & Error is the main point of what works, what doesn't
Leveling up weapons is key to victory and which enemies drop faster or can extend time with (DOT [damage over time] speaking-wise)

Only grindy trophy is the Ironmadman trophy, you will need to spend a few hours boosting, gliding, maybe even walking to get the necessary goals to ping that delicious gold trophy

badgenome

So for those who got the Platinum trophy... How hard it is? Does it take a long time?

Not very long. I solo'd it in a couple of weeks, playing off and on (I was mostly playing Dishonored). It's pretty easy once you learn the maps and max out all the weapons and promotions. Dev times are probably the toughest part, but even they are very doable and would be a piece of cake with a good partner.

The Jer

I feel like I'm having a tough time understanding this game. I have no interest in MOBA's or Tower Defense. If I'm looking for a SP Ratchet and Clank game along the lines of Quest for Booty, is this for me? I can't quite tell if the sp is just a MOBA & TD primer for multiplayer or actually a traditional but bite sized R&C campaign.

This SP game is not like a traditional bite sized R&C campaign. It involves a lot of tower defense (with a twist - you are still controlling ratchet/your character). During tower defense you go out and explore an open level - and need to quickly return periodically to defend your base. The maps in SP share themes with MP. But, they are different maps and are not copied and pasted. The SP is a fun way to introduce players to the elements involved in the MP (various turrets, enemies, weapons, etc.). However, the meat of the game is the MP. I played this game directly after playing the R&C collection. Also, I played ToD and Q4B the week before this came out. I was shocked at how different this game felt. It is NOT like a bite sized R&C campaign and the story and the way it is presented is not on the same level as the traditional games. However, it is fun and worth more than the $20 it costs. The multiplayer is fun - and I'm not normally into base defense.

8byte

Banned
Worth mentioning: the next patch should address some difficulty concerns as well as the frequency of certain enemies attacking your base. Should be easier.

Toppot

Worth mentioning: the next patch should address some difficulty concerns as well as the frequency of certain enemies attacking your base. Should be easier.
What?! I thought the difficulty of the game was actually something they nailed on this. Its a wee bit tough but I like that, now they are softening it down for kiddies? At least whack in some difficulty levels... thank god I've beaten it before this patch.

8byte

Banned
What?! I thought the difficulty of the game was actually something they nailed on this. Its a wee bit tough but I like that, now they are softening it down for kiddies? At least whack in some difficulty levels... thank god I've beaten it before this patch.

I was fine with it as well, so who knows. I see a lot of "journo's" who reviewed it cried bitter tears about the difficulty, but that's because they are typically freaking awful at video games (and writing, who'd have thought!).

rbanke

Thanks for the info. My MP time is very limited, and I think I'm going to have to pass on this one. I was hoping for another quest for booty type of game. Maybe I'll check it out down the road.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I'm so on the fence with this game..i LOVE Ratchet and Clank games, but the tower defense stuff makes me nervous (since i dont really understand that at all).

How is this game if i were to only do single player? Is there a decent story?

8byte

Banned
I'm so on the fence with this game..i LOVE Ratchet and Clank games, but the tower defense stuff makes me nervous (since i dont really understand that at all).

How is this game if i were to only do single player? Is there a decent story?

There's a demo! Try it out, you've got nothing to lose :)

Thanks for the info. My MP time is very limited, and I think I'm going to have to pass on this one. I was hoping for another quest for booty type of game. Maybe I'll check it out down the road.

You too! Just try the demo, you've got nothing to lose but your time.

8byte

Banned
after of course, you buy the new screenprint going on sale tomorrow morning

Really excited for the 3rd. Missed the first (sooo angry) and didn't really care much for the second. Also pissed I missed out on the Olly Moss LotR print. SCREW MONDO.

Edit: Just got my Over the Top trophy, solo :) Not gonna "grind" out the Ironmadman trophy, as that is simply silly when the MP is insanely fun and I'll get it soon enough.

Tidbit: Ironmadman trophy is actually inspired, so to speak, by Ryan Schnieder (Insomniac), who does a lot of Iron Man events. Cool stuff!

8byte

Banned
Double Post!

Man, competition is getting SERIOUS online. I've run into some REALLY tough games in 1v1. Really surprised by how difficult it all has been lately! Still having tons of fun though. Also, be sure to check out IG's community plays today on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/insomniacgames

They'll have custom matches up.

Sora_N

Do I need to play the other games before this one? I already have the first Future game, and the Collection. I don't know what to ask my gf for Christmas so I was gonna add this so she has more to choose from and I don't want to make her spend too much.

The Jer

Do I need to play the other games before this one? I already have the first Future game, and the Collection. I don't know what to ask my gf for Christmas so I was gonna add this so she has more to choose from and I don't want to make her spend too much.
No, absolutely not. It makes a great standalone game.

8byte

Banned
Great games today with the folks at both the Burbank and NC studio. Always blown away at how humble and nice everyone is. Tons of fun!

SykoTech

Finally started this game and....my brother and I can't seem to access co-op in the Campaign Mode. Don't tell me I have to download the patch to get such a simple feature to work. My connection is too weak at the moment to take my PS3 online...

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Finally started this game and....my brother and I can't seem to access co-op in the Campaign Mode. Don't tell me I have to download the patch to get such a simple feature to work. My connection is too weak at the moment to take my PS3 online...

shouldn't need a patch.

are you playing in 720p?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Too late now, it's sold out. Unless you want the crappy second one. That one is still available.

eh, I like the second one, it's just a very different and personal take. I get that it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but several people told me that's their favorite.

krae_man

eh, I like the second one, it's just a very different and personal take. I get that it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but several people told me that's their favorite.

The fact that it is still available and the other two sold out super quick speaks volumes.

Anyway, I need to get back into playing this. The WiiU took all my gaming time as of late.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The fact that it is still available and the other two sold out super quick speaks volumes.

Anyway, I need to get back into playing this. The WiiU took all my gaming time as of late.

a very fair point. Though we also knew it wasn't going to be for everyone, hence the smaller run on it

Skidd

Lately feeling like nobody's playing this online. Finding 2v2s becomes frustrating, AFK people lobbies don't help either.

Lately feeling like nobody's playing this online. Finding 2v2s becomes frustrating, AFK people lobbies don't help either.

I've only played one 2v2 match and the other guy on my team seemed fairly useless. It seems like you would need a mic to communicate or pre-plan a strategy with someone beforehand and I can't really do either right now. If you (or any other gafers) want to pair up my PSN is the same as my GAF name.

Tagg9

Yeah, it's pretty hard to find people outside of peak times. Hopefully it gets busier over Christmas.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
We have a patch and new details out this week plus free maps coming in January plus the Vita release, so hopefully that'll help some:

KalBalboa

Banned
We have a patch and new details out this week plus free maps coming in January plus the Vita release, so hopefully that'll help some:

Excellent.

It's a really competitive season right now, especially with everyone catching up on all the GOTY nominations, so January should be a good month for the game. I know I haven't had any issue finding people to play online, but then again I tend to play at peak hours.

Skidd

And to add to this; Even if you do find a full game, there are no promises it'll even end properly. Out of the (about) 10 matches I played, the other team either rage quit or disconected. What's the point in host migration if it ends the match or disconnects you?

Also, lol, Plasma Refinery. Almost forgot it existed. Feels like the game totally ignores that map and instead prioritizes the two other maps.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
And to add to this; Even if you do find a full game, there are no promises it'll even end properly. Out of the (about) 10 matches I played, the other team either rage quit or disconected. What's the point in host migration if it ends the match or disconnects you?

Also, lol, Plasma Refinery. Almost forgot it existed. Feels like the game totally ignores that map and instead prioritizes the two other maps.

quitters will not like the new patch

8byte

Banned

Private matches! It shouldn't be too hard to set up lobbies here or on Insomniacs site. I'd be down for customs at some point!

So is this exactly like DOTA but w/ 3rd person character controls? I've been really wanting something like this lately...

It's so good!!

Duffyside

Banned
Finally gave this a shot... not loving it, to put it lightly.

First of all, I'm not against tower defense, but man do TD games where the potential placements are few and designated rub me the wrong way. It takes away any potential for creativity, for experimentation, or freedom. I'm not figuring out anything here; I'm just, like a baby chimp, seeing the glowing spot on the ground and putting the thing there that's supposed to go there. I'd call it "solving a simple puzzle," but that honestly gives it too much credit. It really is insultingly basic.

And the writing is so bad I actually question whether I should have ever liked Ratchet, which is making me feel really bad. I turned the game off after the lines "el-oh-el," "epic fail," and "u mad bro" all came out me in less than 30 seconds. I'm scared to go back.

Toppot

Finally gave this a shot... not loving it, to put it lightly.

First of all, I'm not against tower defense, but man do TD games where the potential placements are few and designated rub me the wrong way. It takes away any potential for creativity, for experimentation, or freedom. I'm not figuring out anything here; I'm just, like a baby chimp, seeing the glowing spot on the ground and putting the thing there that's supposed to go there. I'd call it "solving a simple puzzle," but that honestly gives it too much credit. It really is insultingly basic.

And the writing is so bad I actually question whether I should have ever liked Ratchet, which is making me feel really bad. I turned the game off after the lines "el-oh-el," "epic fail," and "u mad bro" all came out me in less than 30 seconds. I'm scared to go back.

It is a little basic, but I think it is aimmed at a younger age group to whom this is an introduction to TD.

The game is, like All4One (Sigh), best played with other people. If you play with someone else online or locally and talk about strategy etc it makes it better.

As for the character you are referencing, their character is meant to be a internet troll so would say those things. The story is a little simple and weak, like Q4B (this is a short game afterall), but they forever live in the shadow of ToD & ACiT and all there glory.

Don't be scared to go back, it is a fun little game that is very challenging (Until they nerf the difficulty in a few days) If you are really put off, grab a buddy or a gaffer and get through it together =]

Skidd

It's intentionally 'bad'. The villain's a
super geek
after all. What else would you expect from him than
Internet slang and memes?
It's a bit unfortunate you feel this way because his later lines are pretty amusing.

Duffyside

Banned
1) The ship says "u mad bro," so it's not all the villain.

2) It "suiting" the villain doesn't excuse it. It makes the villain a terrible choice, and lazily written.

3) Yes, it does feel aimed at a younger audience. Sadly.

I didn't pay 20 bucks to give up yet, but I have to build my soul back up to give it another go.

Toppot

2) It "suiting" the villain doesn't excuse it. It makes the villain a terrible choice, and lazily written.

I didn't pay 20 bucks to give up yet, but I have to build my soul back up to give it another go.

1) Oh, didn't know the ship said that.

2) I think the villain is quite good actually, nice and fitting and a treat for old fans. Maybe when you have beaten the game you will feel differently.

3) Yeah shame but that is the target audience, the fans grow up but the games kind of stay young, which is fair enough, we grow out of TV shows, we can grow out of games to.

Hopefully you enjoy the game once you have built up your strength again, and you will go into it with less expectation now. If not, then the game is just not for you which is fair enough.

8byte

Banned

What extreme hyperbole, lol. Build your soul back up? Also, since when was Ratchet NOT aimed at a younger audience? It's ALWAYS been a family friendly game. Maybe you missed that...

Top Bottom