• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| The Skinemax of MOBAs

8byte

Banned
Are there any split-screen modes other than campaign? Was hoping I could do vs or online vs with a local player.

Split screen is available for co-op campaign only, I believe. Sorry :(

Side note: The depth here for back and forth is much more significant than I thought! There's a good amount of strategy in timing, and "build orders". What I mean by build order is picking your targeted nodes specifically to net you the most damage in the shortest period of time to ensure you can snag enemy nodes and take control of the map. It's definitely a lot more complicated than I had believed. During the beta, and going into this morning, I thought there was little reason to go after anything but the power weapon node, but I think otherwise now! If you know the opposing player is going for the power weapons, then simply go after both the Dopplebanger and Thundersmack / Sonic Eruptor. You'll cap nodes faster, and can move into the power node (as they won't be waiting for you / capturing it) and use all 3 to do some serious damage. Plus the power node usually gives you access to almost all the other nodes, so you can quickly chose where you want to go.

NBtoaster

The game is pretty good. I think there's a good balance between the tower defense stuff and normal combat. Unlike most games the tower attacks are supplementary to your attacks, but still are important for defense. In single player the game isn't a breeze, but not too hard yet, finished the third planet. Haven't tried the multiplayer yet.

Some problems: repetitive combat dialogue and slowdown.

Just tried the demo, the game and it was pretty good. I hate the new technical direction of IG (more bells and whistle to the expense of IQ and framerate). But I was very pleased with the gameplay itself, it's kind of a shame that this game is arena based and isn't a full fledged adventure, because the shooting feels pretty damn good. It looks like IG has applied what worked great in Resistance 3 here. I'll definitely buy it once I'll be done with my Wii U honeymoon.

I can't seem to find this on the UK Playstation Store. The DLC is available to buy but I can't get the game itself or the trial (did manage to get it on the US store).

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
What's with the lack of reviews for this? Were no pre-release copies sent to the press?

pre-release copies WERE sent out. That said, due to the late status change on Vita, we had to wait a week to see where that'd net out, and the copies only got out to folks the weekend before Thanksgiving. I assume most journos are pretty slammed and also probably took the holiday off.

there was no intent to hide the game, just sort of a bunch of moving pieces (Vita, servers, patch) combined with a long holiday that threw everything off.

8byte

Banned
What's with the lack of reviews for this? Were no pre-release copies sent to the press?

This guy streams the game fairly regularly: http://www.twitch.tv/tha_con

Also: Updated the OP with more information and new images. Touched more on changes to MP (specifically the Perk Upgrades) and added a blurb about "build orders". The game is a LOT more strategy reliant than I thought. Lots of interesting avenues of approach to each match up.

Mesoian

Go figure, the game comes out and I get slammed by deadlines.

I wanna play......

pre-release copies WERE sent out. That said, due to the late status change on Vita, we had to wait a week to see where that'd net out, and the copies only got out to folks the weekend before Thanksgiving. I assume most journos are pretty slammed and also probably took the holiday off.

there was no intent to hide the game, just sort of a bunch of moving pieces (Vita, servers, patch) combined with a long holiday that threw everything off.

I saw giantbomb's copy on Jeff's desk. So maybe a quicklook soon.

8byte

Banned
So when you buy this on PSN, is the Vita version gonna just show up for DL in your history or something at some point?

Yep, it'll probably show up in your DL list. You'll probably be able to find it via Search as well.

Edit: Beaten by Sailor Stevenson.

Really excited to check this out. I hadn't really looked into it until this past week and it looks great. Will more than likely be a Christmas purchase.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yep, it'll probably show up in your DL list. You'll probably be able to find it via Search as well.

Edit: Beaten by Sailor Stevenson.

I had such a better tag option recently that I meant to try and get it changed to, but totally forgot what it was now

I wasn't trying to suggest you were hiding the game at all. ;)

But yeah, that all would explain it. Kind of a bad week for release, for that reason. Thanksgiving kinds throws a wrench into things.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I wasn't trying to suggest you were hiding the game at all. ;)

But yeah, that all would explain it. Kind of a bad week for release, for that reason. Thanksgiving kinds throws a wrench into things.

yeah, but no other options really unless we wanted to launch alongside All-Stars (nope!).

Thanks for making those avatars. I always wanted a picture of clank as mine :) I hope nobody has picked this one so far.
fTHhA.jpg

After I've finished the Ratchet & Clank Trilogy I'm absolutly going to buy Full Frontal Assault too. But I think it's going to take some time - I just started with the first game a few days ago. But I'm really looking forward to this new one.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything about the game from my local Sony PR department, not a word on review codes and it's the same story for other nordic reviewers I've talked to.

wouwie

Just tried the demo and it did nothing for me, i'm afraid to say. This series is going further and further away from what i love in the R&C franchise.

Also, R&C is probably the only series where the launch title on the new consoles, Tools of Destruction, was the best looking game. Since then, the visuals have been going downhill with this one looking worst. Strange...

I have a feeling that Insomniac is loosing it's passion for the series.

8byte

Banned
Just tried the demo and it did nothing for me, i'm afraid to say. This series is going further and further away from what i love in the R&C franchise.

Also, R&C is probably the only series where the launch title on the new consoles, Tools of Destruction, was the best looking game. Since then, the visuals have been going downhill with this one looking worst. Strange...

This looks identical to A4O. I don't know, I'm not a pixel junkie, the game is fun. Who really cares if it doesn't look cutting edge or crazy sharp. Fun is fun, leave the guys at B3D to care about the nonsense in pixels and textures.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it, that's unfortunate. I find it really refreshing with all of the skill points, trophies, unlocks and crazy fast pace. Currently trying to best some of the speed runs, down to 8 minutes on the first stage.

V_Ben

Banned
For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything about the game from my local Sony PR department, not a word on review codes and it's the same story for other nordic reviewers I've talked to.

Sony UK got a copy to me a whole week before release, so good on them I guess. Their All Stars shipment was delayed though...

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

That's on that team then, as the final PKG files were provided. Discs always are tougher / can run late / then shipping, but anyone with a debug should've been able to hopefully get pre-release access.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

I disagree with that a lot. but to each their own. Lots of stuff looks better in each game from that first one... though I'll note we have strongly focused on bigger / more non-linear levels since TOD, so that may have come at some fidelity tradeoff.

But regardless, there is no passion lost. the team had a BLAST working on this game, and creating it and the multiplayer. It's still fun as hell for me to play, and we're enjoying the new maps we're working on. Trust me, there's no passion lost for Ratchet around these parts.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I hated the beta, but really liked the trial from what I've played last night. Feels much improved. Glad my friend convinced me to retry it.

Still miss 60fps a lot though.

Picking this up on the way from work tonight to co-op with my friend.

Will the Vita trophy list be separate?
I guess I want an excuse to replay on my Vita when it's available.

8byte

Banned
I hated the beta, but really liked the trial from what I've played last night. Feels much improved. Glad my friend convinced me to retry it.

Still miss 60fps a lot though.

Picking this up on the way from work tonight to co-op with my friend.

Will the Vita trophy list be separate?
I guess I want an excuse to replay on my Vita when it's available.

It'll definitely be the same trophy list, but I don't think they'll be shared. I'd guess it'll either need to be earned again, or it'll work like some other titles where unlocking it on one unlocks it on the other.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
It'll definitely be the same trophy list, but I don't think they'll be shared. I'd guess it'll either need to be earned again, or it'll work like some other titles where unlocking it on one unlocks it on the other.

supposedly it WILL be shared. I need to confimr that though

The Jer

I skipped All 4 One, so I'm LTTP on this... but, I really do not like the way Ratchet looks in this game. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. The Future games looked so amazing.

Raonak

Banned
supposedly it WILL be shared. I need to confimr that though

Thats what I heard, IIRC, sony has 3 trophy implementations for crossplay titles.

2 trophy lists + sync (like sound shapes and motorstorm)

2 trophy lists + no sync (like PSASBR)

1 trophy list synced (Sly and this)

the 1 trophy list is probably the way most titles in the future will implement it.
gotta get dem double platinums while they last.

8byte

Banned
I skipped All 4 One, so I'm LTTP on this... but, I really do not like the way Ratchet looks in this game. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. The Future games looked so amazing.

This is a lot closer to his original design than the older titles. I prefer it, as it's more in line with the work Creature Box has done. It's just more "stylized" than the older titles, and I think it's better, IMO.

Lombax

Banned
I am conflicted. I can only get the Vita version [as I do not own a PS3] and I signed up for the NeoGAF 1 year challenge. This bucket of awesome will not be available to me until January thus I can not buy it!

I am a sad but understanding Lombax.

NBtoaster

Wow massive difficulty spike in the fourth mission.

Also, restarting from a checkpoint respawns all the crates and enemies in a level, that seems a bit broken.

8byte

Banned
Wow massive difficulty spike in the fourth mission.

Also, restarting from a checkpoint respawns all the crates and enemies in a level, that seems a bit broken.

On that stage, I'd recommend waiting a few waves of enemies and simply gathering bolts to build up your defenses. Also, Groovitrons can do wonders!

NBtoaster

I almost beat it, got to the end where you guard the device with the countdown.

I used warmonger turrets and groovitron mines but those guys with the turrets kept targeting it over me.

And then the game froze, I don't think it liked me throwing a groovitron as a groovitron mine activated... I'm going to have to do it all over again aren't I :(

I am enjoying the game, but I don't think this level was properly balanced for 1 player.

VanWinkle

Is the game 30fps? If so, what areas graphically have been improved compared to A Crack In Time (which was, of course, 60fps)?

krae_man

I am conflicted. I can only get the Vita version [as I do not own a PS3] and I signed up for the NeoGAF 1 year challenge. This bucket of awesome will not be available to me until January thus I can not buy it!

I am a sad but understanding Lombax.

Do you have access to a PS3? If so, that could be a loophole.

8byte

Banned
I almost beat it, got to the end where you guard the device with the countdown.

I used warmonger turrets and groovitron mines but those guys with the turrets kept targeting it over me.

And then the game froze, I don't think it liked me throwing a groovitron as a groovitron mine activated... I'm going to have to do it all over again aren't I :(

I am enjoying the game, but I don't think this level was properly balanced for 1 player.

Well, it's relatively easy once you have all your weapons leveled up. But if you've just gone straight through w/out replaying levels and getting medals / skill points, yea, it's pretty freakin' tough.

Is the game 30fps? If so, what areas graphically have been improved compared to A Crack In Time (which was, of course, 60fps)?

I'm not at all into the whole visual thing, but there are more "bells and whistles". Glowing objects that cast light on other things, sparks, smoke, DoF, lots of stuff like that.

I believe it's 30. And it looks worse than prior games... but when 30 huge enemies are battling you and about 15 turrets at a playable framerate you'll understand why they had to make the sacrifice.

Top Bottom