• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault |OT| The Skinemax of MOBAs

The Jer

And the writing is so bad I actually question whether I should have ever liked Ratchet, which is making me feel really bad. I turned the game off after the lines "el-oh-el," "epic fail," and "u mad bro" all came out me in less than 30 seconds. I'm scared to go back.
The writing and the characters aren't on the same level as the old ratchet games. The writing, characters, and visuals in the Future games were amazing. It's not a case of growing up while the games stayed the same. Everything through A Crack in Time is amazing and this game does not live up to them in terms of the writing/story/characters. The difference is huge. The thought that this game is comparable to Quest for Booty in terms of writing makes me sad. Quest for Booty is on a different level from this (and most) games.

That being said, you should give the game a chance. While the writing/story aspects are depressing when compared to the older games, the game is really fun. I don't think the game is as dumbed down as you say it is. I have a lot of fun thinking about strategy. Especially in the multiplayer modes.

8byte

Banned
Just played a guy a few times who repeatedly quit over and over again, and then he finally decided it was time to rush my base and just leave one minion in his so he could keep the assault phase from ending.

Please fix this. He was awful, and ended up winning by the skin of his teeth because of this.

Tagg9

Just played a guy a few times who repeatedly quit over and over again, and then he finally decided it was time to rush my base and just leave one minion in his so he could keep the assault phase from ending.

Please fix this. He was awful, and ended up winning by the skin of his teeth because of this.

How did he win if this was the case?

8byte

Banned
How did he win if this was the case?

First round he left one of the really tiny minions in his base. Since bolts were low, he just rushed my base w/power weapons and all I could do was defend. He ended up chipping away at my generators for quite some time. Few bolts = less for defenses. I think generators should deal mild damage by default to melee opponents to prevent this, enough to kill the little guys after a few hits.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
First round he left one of the really tiny minions in his base. Since bolts were low, he just rushed my base w/power weapons and all I could do was defend. He ended up chipping away at my generators for quite some time. Few bolts = less for defenses. I think generators should deal mild damage by default to melee opponents to prevent this, enough to kill the little guys after a few hits.

there is an upgrade to cause the generators to do that. but you should be able to kill him and/or use your panic button

8byte

Banned
there is an upgrade to cause the generators to do that. but you should be able to kill him and/or use your panic button

No no, I'm talking about HIS base.

He is intentionally leaving enemies alive in his base (the small minions) and storming mine. Panic button doesn't kill off my enemies in his base, so basically he can keep the assault phase open as long as he is comfortable with that one enemy doing damage. This happened for about 3 minutes or so, and he lost one generator, I lost 3 (despite having killed him 4 times).

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
No no, I'm talking about HIS base.

He is intentionally leaving enemies alive in his base (the small minions) and storming mine. Panic button doesn't kill off my enemies in his base, so basically he can keep the assault phase open as long as he is comfortable with that one enemy doing damage. This happened for about 3 minutes or so, and he lost one generator, I lost 3 (despite having killed him 4 times).

don't send the little guys :). or rush off and take the assault to him

8byte

Banned
don't send the little guys :). or rush off and take the assault to him
The game always sends a tiny wave of little guys at the end of every player wave no matter what :p

I'm still gonna try to find a way around it. It's not too bad if you're even on nodes, but if you don't get a few key weapons it can be very trying.

Anyone up for some customs tonight? I wanna get in more practice!

The Jer

jstevenson, is there an ETA on Deadlocked? I'm in no hurry. I'm just wondering what the release date looks like at this point.

Toppot

jstevenson, is there an ETA on Deadlocked? I'm in no hurry. I'm just wondering what the release date looks like at this point.

I was wondering this as well. Either it's coming Christmas Eve or it won't make 2012.

https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/statuses/274913981905399809

Insomniacs Twitter December 1st said:
@Topottsel not cancelled, still being worked on. Coming soon but focused on FFA

I wouldn't hold out for it coming out this year, early next year seems more likely.

Dragun619

So I finished the game, and I'm about to go grab the rest of trophies. For the Over the Top one, are the Insomniac Dev times doable on solo play?

8byte

Banned

badgenome

So I finished the game, and I'm about to go grab the rest of trophies. For the Over the Top one, are the Insomniac Dev times doable on solo play?

Yes. Markazia is dead easy, and Ebaro v2 and Zurgo's lair are very soloable once you're ranked up and have level 3 weapons (Sonic Eruptor FTW).

8byte

Banned
Yes. Markazia is dead easy, and Ebaro v2 and Zurgo's lair are very soloable once you're ranked up and have level 3 weapons (Sonic Eruptor FTW).

It's about to get even easier later this week. Weapons are gaining two additional levels, meaning they'll do more damage, allowing you to plow through heavy foes much faster. Should make the platinum much easier for those struggling with it.

If you don't want to wait, you can enable cheats and they'll still award you a skill point, if you don't have a problem with that.

Edit: this guy is giving away $10 on his FFA stream: www.twitch.tv/tha_con. says he'll honor tweets messages till midnight. Worth a shot I guess!

Edit 2: He just got off line, but I think you should be good if you catch it from the rebroadcast: http://www.twitch.tv/tha_con/b/349148356 Just tweet him "Buy Ratchet" I guess for a chance to win.

TripOpt55

Adding Metropolis is really cool. I still haven't tried the multiplayer. Was mostly just playing the campaign levels though I really enjoyed it. Need to get back to this game.

8byte

Banned
:eek: Didn't know there was a demo!

cheers man will try it later.

For sure :) It's much lighter on narrative than previous titles, and there aren't any new weapons, but there's still a good amount of platforming, exploration, and really fun combat.

The MP, for me, is the big draw. Really competitive, and very fun.

mrbagdt

ive read through several pages now- is there anything to the resolution for the game? i saw someone say 'are you playing in 720p' but i dont know what they are referring to. it doesnt seem like i can change anything regarding video resolution in the game. on all the loading screen everything fills my entire screen, but during gameplay i am letterboxed- i guess this has something to do with being playable on vita? i dont really mind, i just wanted to know if i was missing something. my ps3 switches to 480 when i play this game.

8byte

Banned
ive read through several pages now- is there anything to the resolution for the game? i saw someone say 'are you playing in 720p' but i dont know what they are referring to. it doesnt seem like i can change anything regarding video resolution in the game. on all the loading screen everything fills my entire screen, but during gameplay i am letterboxed- i guess this has something to do with being playable on vita? i dont really mind, i just wanted to know if i was missing something. my ps3 switches to 480 when i play this game.

What resolutions do you have selected in your display options? It sounds like you may not have 720p selected. Should display 720p by default.

mrbagdt

What resolutions do you have selected in your display options? It sounds like you may not have 720p selected. Should display 720p by default.

do you mean display options in game or display options for my playstation in general? normally everything is 1080. in game the only video option is brightness as far as i can tell.

8byte

Banned
do you mean display options in game or display options for my playstation in general? normally everything is 1080. in game the only video option is brightness as far as i can tell.

On the PS3 itself. Go to display settings and see if 720p is unchecked for some reason. That's all I can think of.

mrbagdt

On the PS3 itself. Go to display settings and see if 720p is unchecked for some reason. That's all I can think of.

i went in an just selected hdmi again as my display input. i dont know what i changed but now the game is in 720p and looks 10x better than it did. pretty weird.

8byte

Banned
i went in an just selected hdmi again as my display input. i dont know what i changed but now the game is in 720p and looks 10x better than it did. pretty weird.

Glad that worked out for you man.

In other news, patch 1.02 should be live, here are the patch notes:

Changes are as follows:

Campaign

- Weapons can now level up to 5! And don’t worry, the experience you’ve earned up to this point will count toward the new cap.
- Need to get back to base in a hurry? We’ve brought over the popular base-teleport feature from Competitive to Campaign.
- We’ve marked down the prices for most base defenses.
- Enemy waves have been tuned across the entire game.

Competitive

- We got rid of filtering by cheats and replaced it with an option to limit the games to friends only.
- We have added a visual indicator for hero upgrades. The more upgrades purchased, the more pips you’ll see above a player’s health bar.
- Several exploits patched. Rage-quitters beware!
- Bug fixes galore.

Glad rage quitters will get punished harder here!

Dragun619

Ah sweet. Gonna download now. I was having trouble earlier this week getting within the insomniac Dev times solo, but that change log sounds really good.

KalBalboa

Banned
Changes are as follows:

Campaign

- Weapons can now level up to 5! And don’t worry, the experience you’ve earned up to this point will count toward the new cap.
- Need to get back to base in a hurry? We’ve brought over the popular base-teleport feature from Competitive to Campaign.
- We’ve marked down the prices for most base defenses.
- Enemy waves have been tuned across the entire game.

Competitive

- We got rid of filtering by cheats and replaced it with an option to limit the games to friends only.
- We have added a visual indicator for hero upgrades. The more upgrades purchased, the more pips you’ll see above a player’s health bar.
- Several exploits patched. Rage-quitters beware!
- Bug fixes galore.

All good to hear- downloading now.

KalBalboa

Banned
You in for the MP? Trying to see how many folks on GAF are actively playing the most overlooked MP game this year :p

I've played four or five matches online, but I've been super busy this month with moving, classes, work, etc. I think the Vita version will have me online more often, but I do plan on playing more on PS3 too.

PSN ID: FoomMan

krae_man

YOU CAN'T BOMBA US IF WE START AT 19.99... THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT

But I can:

uAR62.jpg

:p

It's from the RCSS boxing day flyer. If any Canadians were on the fence, No excuse not to buy it at that price.

8byte

Banned
So I'm pretty sure the new patch is causing the game to freeze. I tried two different campaign missions and after some time (can't exactly say when) it just froze. Both were different levels. I never had this problem before the patch. Also, is there a way to do campaign matchmaking? Or is inviting a friend the only option?

I've had no post patch problems. Any issues with other titles?

Also, friend invites are the only option.

SykoTech

Beat the game a couple of days ago. Not bad. Definitely enjoyed it more than All 4 One. Loved how hetic things could get sometimes.

Not the direction I want to see the franchise go in or anything, but it was a fun little spinoff.

8byte

Banned
I'd love to see this MP mode go further. Probably some of the best MP I've played all year, and probably into next year.

So I beat the second mission today. What exactly determines when the next wave will attack your base? Is it based on time or completing objectives/weapon pods?

8byte

Banned
So I beat the second mission today. What exactly determines when the next wave will attack your base? Is it based on time or completing objectives/weapon pods?

Depends on a few things. Usually the timer stops when you get to a certain point in breaking down enemy defenses.

You can now teleport back to the base using the down button, so that makes it considerably easier (plus it makes dev times easier to reach).

Toppot

I believe it varies on level. Most come when you do objectives but some come at timed intervals. I believe. 8byte probably knows better ;)

8byte

Banned
It's been tough finding good competition lately online with the rating bug :( I keep getting reset to 250, which means I keep playing poor players and dominating. Been sand bagging pretty significantly.

Toppot

It's been tough finding good competition lately online with the rating bug :( I keep getting reset to 250, which means I keep playing poor players and dominating. Been sand bagging pretty significantly.

Well patch and Vita version this month should help. I would play online but the skill level the game gave me based on single player is too high so I just get my ass handed to me constantly xD It will re-adjust eventually but I don't wanna wait for that xD

8byte

Banned
Well patch and Vita version this month should help. I would play online but the skill level the game gave me based on single player is too high so I just get my ass handed to me constantly xD It will re-adjust eventually but I don't wanna wait for that xD

How do you take down notes, and which do you go for first? Most of the game is map control.

Korgon Refinery is probably the worst map in the game, without a doubt.

Toppot

How do you take down notes, and which do you go for first? Most of the game is map control.

Korgon Refinery is probably the worst map in the game, without a doubt.

I take down the defences and turn the crank, if I have a zurkon or double ganger I throw them out to distract while I take the node quicker. I go for ones closest to home, playing the beta I knew that nodes are critical as you get bolts for the attack phase that they can't do anything about, other than weaken defences for the 'capture' phase.

Oddly it seems to be the combat I fail at most, they just run in and f me over in 2 seconds with guns where as my shots seem to miss most of the time (Perhaps there is an auto lock I'm unaware of? xD)

I think I just need to put more time into it, but I just don't find it that fun, I would prefer 3 vs 3 or 4 vs 4.

8byte

Banned
For PvP use the Cryoshot, long range fast fire and high damage.

Also, buy warmonger and build pads, then sell the 4 turrets they come with for a 900 bolt profit.

Top Bottom