• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus |OT| Wanna know why they call it RYNOplasty?

Neonsands

Neo Member
Got this finished downloading last night. I really enjoyed it and it feels like the ratchet and clank I know and love. On top of that, the visuals are fantastic.

I didn't get far enough to speak too much on the story yet, but I like the relationship Ratchet has with the antagonist. The humor is on point with what you would expect from a Ratchet game.

The guns are fun, and all the ones I have thus far have a pretty distinct feel from their past iterations.

All in all, an enjoyable game so far.

dralla

I'm guessing I'm about halfway through. I finished the third planet and stopped. Quick impressions..

30FPS is a real bummer. The animations aren't as impressive as a result. Ratchet feels weightless compared to previous games. Small things like smashing boxes for bolts isn't as satisfying. The combat isn't as gratifying. It also does drop when things get hectic. I had to stop playing because I got a headache.

That being said the game is still a lot of fun. Yevek was great, the jetpack battles are a blast. I hope they keep this for future installments. Graphics are great despite the drop in frame rate. I love the character design, the villains especially. Voice acting is great. I'm glad they brought Talwyn back, I always liked her in ToD, I think she should become part of the 'regular' cast.

Weapons are a bit hit and miss. I love bomb weapons, they're always my favorite, The fusion bomb (so far) is keeping up with that tradition. Probably my favorite so far. I really like the Winterizer even though I usually don't care for the morph weapons. Level 3 'Shotgun' is awesome, so is the Haunted Box thing, a good follow up to the Groovitron. The Netherblades suck. They were terrible in ACiT and they're just as bad now and they're a pain to upgrade. I'm hoping they turn into something fun. Mr Zurkon has worn out his welcome. I loved him back in ToD but it's boring now and a waste of a slot. The default pistols are okay. Nothing special (yet) but nothing terrible. Plasma Striker, same thing..it's okay. All of this can change depending on how they upgrade over the time though. I'm hoping for some good things from the not-so-good weapons.

Clank sections are good and most importantly they don't overstay their welcome.

Other little things I like. The map screen. The effect when Ratchet picks up bolts or health. The effect when Ratchet is walking on magnetic services.

Is there a reason why Al is called "Plumber", he's one of the few characters I remember from previous games. I'm surprised they reduced him into a no-name character.

Anyway. So far, so good. I see there's a challenge mode in there which is nice.

Vashetti

Banned
Is there a reason why Al is called "Plumber", he's one of the few characters I remember from previous games. I'm surprised they reduced him into a no-name character.

Err, I think you're confused. Al and The Plumber are two different characters.

Al:

Al.png

The Plumber:

kubus

Not sure if this was already known, but.. vita version confirmed?

TbhAqHT.jpg

Trophy info for R&C Nexus also lists Vita version.

Totally forgot this was coming out and the $30 price tag makes it that much better. May pick this up this weekend. Overall seems like a solid Ratchet experience.

Tuck

Love it.

Awesome intro, first world is great, Clank levels are great.

Game is surprisingly pretty - the engine shows its age at times but its still looks quite good.

Very disappointed that there aren't gonna be any grind rail segments though.

Game didn't come with the Q4B code for me either but I already played that one.

Very tired so I had to stop, even though I didn't want to. May go to the library or something =/. But I really want to play. Already I'm having a blast. Hope they never stop making Ratchet games...

As an aside, how was All4One? Been considering buying it now that its on the cheap ($20)

EDIT: I would like to see the return of Al and Sasha. They've been gone a long time.

Tuck

Oh just another comment: the music when Ratchet meets Vendra for the first time in her cell was incredible - sounded like something out of a Metroid Prime game.

Five

Banned
As an aside, how was All4One? Been considering buying it now that its on the cheap ($20)

It's decent if you're playing with others, especially if they're younger. I can't in good conscience recommend a single-player run because the competitive aspect is the best thing going for it.

billsmugs

I'm really looking forward to playing this when I get back to my PS3 (in a few weeks time), but I'd much rather play it (as with most games) on Vita, if a Vita version existed. I know there have been rumours and speculation about it and possible hints in the form of the trophy list and cloud save option, but if it's definitely not going to happen (for at least say 3 or 4 months from now anyway) then it would be good if Insomniac could 100% state that. From what I've seen (sorry if I'm mis-remembering or I just missed it!) there hasn't ever been any outright denial of a Vita port and I'd be pretty annoyed if I bought it on PS3 then it came out on Vita a few weeks later, even if it were a cross-buy title (assuming it's a quality port of course).

Maybe I'm just weird in preferring playing on Vita so much, but if there is going to be a Vita version, why not announce it? And if there isn't one, wouldn't it be a good idea to finally end the rumours with a guarantee that it's PS3-only for the foreseeable future?

Voror

Picked it up but it'll have to wait till I beat Crack in Time, which I completely forgot I never beat. Love playing these games so much.

RPGCrazied

Nearing the end I think. I just have the gold tournament to do. I thought it was pretty good.

+solid music
+comical cutscenes
+back to ratchet & clank form
+clank puzzles were awesome

-Framerate issues
-No ship exploring space
-Short (but I won't forget the discounted price!)

7.5/10 for me.

TripOpt55

This has been great fun so far. Some of the upgrades have been great. Jetpack stuff is fun. New Clank levels are really neat. Each world has felt pretty meaty so far.

Skidd

Played through the game in one setting, collecting everything. 7-8 hours.

Fans of the franchise will appreciate the final level.

dralla

The hover boot/jetpack combo is so good. It reminds me of Krell Canyon from ACiT taken to the next level. I hope they keep it. The only thing I would add to it is adding a hover boot dash while you're in he air. Maybe that would get a little complicated but I think it could be a lot of fun. They've done so much with the weapons over the years, adding to the mobility of Ratchet is a smart way to add another dimension to the combat (in addition to platforming). There haven't been any grind rails though. I'm not sure if I miss them, honestly. They've always been a little on the tame side, not a lot of danger.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Maybe I'm just weird in preferring playing on Vita so much, but if there is going to be a Vita version, why not announce it? And if there isn't one, wouldn't it be a good idea to finally end the rumours with a guarantee that it's PS3-only for the foreseeable future?

I feel like you answer your own question there.

krae_man

Hey cool, my copy doesn't include the QFB code.

It say "download the code below" and below is just the download instructions and legalese.

it apparently is an issue that effected Canadian copies of the game.

on the plus side, Sony Canada customer support should know about it soon (if not already) and be helping effected customers.

ahh so it's all Quebec's fault I see. Had to put the french on and now there's no room for the code.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Hey cool, my copy doesn't include the QFB code.

It say "download the code below" and below is just the download instructions and legalese.

Yeah issue with Canadian copies. Contact SCE Customer Support as they are aware of the issue and can help you out

krae_man

No rush I already own QFB, so I'll be just giving it away to someone. Now I've got 2 days to beat this game before the PS4 comes out.

jono95

Just finished collecting all the gold bolts one my first playthrough, and I'm considering starting it over again already. Such a good game and the perfect length to encourage multiple playthroughs.

I love the areas where you can use Clank's jetpack; the swamp planet is probably in my top 3 of all time because of how fun it is just to fly around.
The only negative thing I could possibly say about the game is that the final boss was a bit too easy, but that was probably because I upgraded all my weapons to level 3 before it.
The last planet where you get to go through the
museum and see tributes to past characters
was awesome as a long time R&C fan.

P.S. I own a physical copy of QFB, so if anyone wants my code you can have it.
I'm from Australia if that matters, I think it'll work in the UK store as well though.

I hope there's a magnet upgrade in this to pull in basically all bolts/raritanium/etc. from further away like there are in most of the games.

It's great fun so far, though. A great mix of stuff to do, though it's clearly a lot smaller than the immaculate ACiT.

Tohsaka

I finished the game earlier. I liked it more than A4O and FFA for sure, it definitely feels like a traditional Ratchet game. It was pretty short, but I expected that given the $30 price. My main complaint is that the new characters didn't really get much exposition. They seemed interesting, but I feel like they could've been given more dialogue and backstory.

billsmugs

I feel like you answer your own question there.

Is that in response to "maybe I'm just weird" or "why not announce it if it exists" or "if there isn't one why would you not deny it"?

Sorry for pressing you for a clear response, but if it's the first one then I do have reasons for wanting a Vita version (beyond "I prefer the Vita") and if it's the 2nd then why not say outright here in this thread that it isn't coming? Part of the reason I'm unsure is because of responses like this and things like saying "what Vita version?" which aren't actually saying "No, we are not making a Vita version of Nexus" or "There won't be a Vita version of Nexus."

If it's the final option I don't understand why you wouldn't want to announce it. It's not as if it's some sort of timed exclusivity deal where you can't mention the competitor's version, seeing as they are both Sony platforms. Maybe you (or anyone else) could explain hypothetically the possible reasons for something like this?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Should get my copy tomorrow!

HYPEEEEEE!!!!

dreamfall

I missed Ratchet & Clank. I played Tools of Destruction over several times and I loved QFB, as a short and really sweet mini adventure.

And then I just stopped- for some reason. I remember being really impressed with ACIT demo, but got caught up and never got to it. I think I'm going to play the two back to back, as a proper send off to the PS3. It seems only fitting, considering this was one of the first titles I started with.

Ah, sweet nostalgia. The game looks so gorgeous. Bravo Insomniac, bravo.

Love it.

Awesome intro, first world is great, Clank levels are great.

Game is surprisingly pretty - the engine shows its age at times but its still looks quite good.

Very disappointed that there aren't gonna be any grind rail segments though.

Game didn't come with the Q4B code for me either but I already played that one.

Very tired so I had to stop, even though I didn't want to. May go to the library or something =/. But I really want to play. Already I'm having a blast. Hope they never stop making Ratchet games...

EDIT: I would like to see the return of Al and Sasha. They've been gone a long time.

It´s very fun as co-op game.

overcast

About to order Future this weekend.. As a huge fan of the classic trilogy (up there with my favorite games of my childhood), I have probably waited too long.

I'll get around to this as soon as I get the others on the PS3 done!

Vitor711

How would this game be for a lapsed R&C fan? Loved the first game, never played the PS2 sequels though as they looked too samey and I beat the first one about half a dozen times.

Really enjoyed FTOD but avoided the other PS3 ones.

I generally hate the Clank sections and love it when it's more platformy/combat focused. Any chance I'll enjoy this? Or should I just find a cheap copy of the last major title, Crack in Time?

How would this game be for a lapsed R&C fan? Loved the first game, never played the PS2 sequels though as they looked too samey and I beat the first one about half a dozen times.

I generally hate the Clank sections and love it when it's more platformy/combat focused. Any chance I'll enjoy this? Or should I just find a cheap copy of the last major title, Crack in Time?

Can't comment on this one, but definitely get CiT if you can find it. It's basically a better ToD in every way in my opinion, and one of the PS3's best games. There are a few Clank sections, but they're damn good.

glaurung

Crack in Time was great, I enjoyed it a lot. But if you despise Clank sections, then Crack in Time has those in abundance.

Oneself

ahh so it's all Quebec's fault I see. Had to put the french on and now there's no room for the code.

You're joking right?

On topic, I started playing last night and as far as gameplay goes, it's probably one of the best Ratchet & Clank games. It has probably the best soundtrack of the series too.
The framerate definitely is a real bummer though, as it makes everything look a bit rushed... enemy encounters aren't as fun because the game is struggling the keep up with the action and it isn't as responsive as it should etc.

Crack in Time was great, I enjoyed it a lot. But if you despise Clank sections, then Crack in Time has those in abundance.

They're Clank sections sure but... they're different somehow! I didn't really enjoy them in the past games but in this game they turned out to be one of my favorite parts in the end. Some of those later puzzles were quite mindbending!

glaurung

They're Clank sections sure but... they're different somehow! I didn't really enjoy them in the past games but in this game they turned out to be one of my favorite parts in the end. Some of those later puzzles were quite mindbending!
I did not find them mind bending. Rather a chore to carry out once you knew the logic behind them. Then again, that's me.

As a reply to me posting in this topic, Amazon UK shipped my copy of Nexus. I also got the Pyronex armor code in mail last night.

Burbeting

Banned
I've played maybe few hours (Finished Yerek, and started the arena), and I'm having a blast ^__^. Playing is fun, and it's quite hard too with LEgend difficulty (I like it that enemy AI seems to be better with Legend. Subtle touch, and works better that them having ridiculous HP). The game looks crisp clean, and the combat is quite satisfying.

Still, got to agree again with those, who are complaining 30fps. It doesn't break the game, but after 60fps Ratchet's it's hard to get used to it. The story hasn't been anything spectacular either yet. There is promise, but the short length might prevent it from becoming soemthing great. I huess I'll see.

But overall, my first impressions are positive :).

iratA

Congrats James, Brian and the rest of the team. Finished it earlier today and loved it. A return to the Good Ole Ratchet albeit a little short.

I loved the fan service in that
Museum
level. My only wish now is that we get a Ratchet game with all of the next-gen bells and whistles. 1080P fur simulated Lombax on the PS4!

Top Bottom