• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

goldenpp72

Does anyone have a look at the artbook that is in the amazon version of this? It might decide if I wait or get it day 1, and is the book on amazon forever or just pre orders?

ReaperXL7

So obviously it will vary depending on collecting everything and getting all the medals and the little pink guys, but is there any indication on how long the game is. I'm wondering if it has the breadth of content to warrant a $60 purchase. I love the demo, but i'm alittle worried about picking up a game at that price that I can squash in a weekend.

The demo is fantastic, fluid, and alot of fun, even in the simple 3 levels it shows alot of variance, and i'm really leaning to canceling my pre-order for saints row 3 so that I can pick this up instead, tough choice as I want both alot. Originally I was planning on waiting for the Vita version because it seems like the perfect kind of game to play on the go.

ReaperXL07 said:
So obviously it will vary depending on collecting everything and getting all the medals and the little pink guys, but is there any indication on how long the game is. I'm wondering if it has the breadth of content to warrant a $60 purchase. I love the demo, but i'm alittle worried about picking up a game at that price that I can squash in a weekend.

The demo is fantastic, fluid, and alot of fun, even in the simple 3 levels it shows alot of variance,
Yup, this. I played the PS3 demo and it was wonderful. The only thing I didn't like was some of the sound effects.

Beaulieu

ReaperXL07 said:

The demo is fantastic, fluid, and alot of fun, even in the simple 3 levels it shows alot of variance, and i'm really leaning to canceling my pre-order for saints row 3 so that I can pick this up instead, tough choice as I want both alot. Originally I was planning on waiting for the Vita version because it seems like the perfect kind of game to play on the go.

On the nintendo power (or was it IGN?) review, it says between 60 and 70 levels I think ? like 6 worlds with 10 level each, or 10 worlds with 6 level each ?

pr0cs

I liked the demo, it was a LOT harder than I thought it would be though, doubt I can play it with my kids which is a shame.

UBI games don't keep their value very long (they're notorious for dropping the price FAST) so I'll likely pick this up later in the year or next year.

Beaulieu said:
On the nintendo power (or was it IGN?) review, it says between 60 and 70 levels I think ? like 6 worlds with 10 level each, or 10 worlds with 6 level each ?
In the video at the end of the demo it also mentions 60+ levels.

Sinthetic

Amazing demo. Those visuals, dear GOD, stunning. Gameplay is tight and very fun, I can only imagine how good it is with 2 players.

Tizoc

So what's the best ver. of Rayman 2? From what I've read the PS2 title Rayman 2: Revolution is the best; any chance this ver. might be put on PSN?

Tizoc said:
So what's the best ver. of Rayman 2? From what I've read the PS2 title Rayman 2: Revolution is the best; any chance this ver. might be put on PSN?
The best version is the Dreamcast one but PS2 version is also really good

mileS

dark10x said:
Yeah, it probably will drop, but I'm hoping enough people support it at full price to at least show that such a game can be successful.

I owe it to myself to buy this day1 at full price considering the amount of times I beg/wish for games like this to be made these days. I was sold at the early screens alone but after playing the demo and reading a couple of the reviews I'm having zero second thoughts about the purchase now.

2D Rayman was always best Rayman. Played the demo last night and unlocked the secret costume and time medal, but didn't try for 350 yellow guys. I really want this game, but broke so I might have to see if my friends will go in $20 each for it.

Beaulieu

I dont know ... this kind of game wouldnt be very fun playing online coop no ?
I mean... I dont see myself playing a 2d plateformer online ... ever. Half the fun of this type of game is being with people in the same room.

"hey masterninja420, please burst my bubble man!!"

The Dutch Slayer said:
again. the dev team wanted a local "going old school" feeling of on the sofa with your friends.
All my friends are "grown" so all they are into is CoD. They honestly would never touch Rayman. Yes, I have shittier friends than Sonic.

This game's main focus is multiplayer. If you have the ability, why not offer both? Online doesn't take away the ability to play on a couch with friends. I'm not a big online player, but all this is doing is forcing people to play alone and with a game like this (2D and cartoony) going for full retail price in 2012 (pretty much) they need all the bullet points they can get. They are going against CoD and dozens of others that does do comfy couch and online co-op.

Well, that's my rant on the subject. I just wanna see the thing do great so we can see more of these types of games at retail.

Platy

Looks like someone in Ubisoft REALLY have faith in this game

Because the retail version will be sold here at the R$99 price

Brazil is famously know for INSANE high prices in games ... with a default US$49 game being sold for R$200 (200 Brazil reais = 113.5718 U.S. dollars) because of HUGE taxes and stuffs like that.

So .. why sell a US$59 game for R$99 (99 Brazil reais = 56.218041 U.S. dollars) ?

Because they trust their game's quality !

Like .. REALLY trust

"Rayman Origins will be the first game purchased by many families, thanks to the appeal of the character."

...erhmm

Don't get me wrong, this is AWESOME news for a brazilian gamer like me as I'm REALLY hyped for this game (this hype could only be larger if it wasn't for Skyward...) but .... it is a "kiddy" 2d sidescroller with painted graphics .... i'm not very convinced that it will sell enoght to justify the praticaly negative profit with such a low price =/

SykoTech

The Dutch Slayer said:
again. the dev team wanted a local "going old school" feeling of on the sofa with your friends.

That's nice and all, but they should have just done both like LittleBigPlanet and R&C: All 4 One did. Couch co-op plus online.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Count me in with the people disappointed with the lack of online multiplayer. I have only one controller for my PS3, and even if I had more, none of my friends would be into a game like Rayman. If it ain't Call of Duty, they don't play it. Playing online with some creep from GAF doesn't quite compare to the couch co-op experience, but it's most definitely better than playing alone. It's not going to stop me from buying the game, but it is disappointing.

I don't buy Ubisoft's excuse either.

Platy said:
Looks like someone in Ubisoft REALLY have faith in this game

Because the retail version will be sold here at the R$99 price

Brazil is famously know for INSANE high prices in games ... with a default US$49 game being sold for R$200 (200 Brazil reais = 113.5718 U.S. dollars) because of HUGE taxes and stuffs like that.

So .. why sell a US$59 game for R$99 (99 Brazil reais = 56.218041 U.S. dollars) ?

Because they trust their game's quality !

Like .. REALLY trust

"Rayman Origins will be the first game purchased by many families, thanks to the appeal of the character."

...erhmm

Don't get me wrong, this is AWESOME news for a brazilian gamer like me as I'm REALLY hyped for this game (this hype could only be larger if it wasn't for Skyward...) but .... it is a "kiddy" 2d sidescroller with painted graphics .... i'm not very convinced that it will sell enoght to justify the praticaly negative profit with such a low price =/
I couldn't help but read your post in a Brazilian accent.

I'm sure everyone here shares your conerns, I do too. Just like with every holiday season, the competition is strong and Rayman is no doubt the underdog of the bunch, even to Sonic which is actually a good game this time.

Teknoman

LBP is pretty fun online so I dont see why an even more focused platformer wouldnt be. Sure, like fighters its great to be in the same room, but playing online with 4 other people aint half bad.

Also PS3 demo is fun, looks beautiful, sounds great, and has that quirkiness that the original had...not to mention reminds me of The Neverhood.

Also have the UBIdrop dilemma where I know the game is going to drop in price and fast...

EDIT: Some of the new enemies remind me of Courage the Cowardly dog.

Smshirley04.jpg

So is it impossible to get all collectibles if you're playing solo? I'm not planning on playing multiplayer, and if that's the case I think i'll be getting Skyrim.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So just saw the Gametrailers review... I'm surprised it didn't get a higher score. They pretty much only gave the game compliments...

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
after seeing that giant bomb quick look. WOW this has the be the sleeper of the year for me. NEVER thought I'd be getting this, but I'm all over it now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Big Ass Ramp said:
after seeing that giant bomb quick look. WOW this has the be the sleeper of the year for me. NEVER thought I'd be getting this, but I'm all over it now.
Plus the gb-video doesnt represent the outstanding graphics! They did an amazing work.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
looks fantastic, may buy on Christmas, but why is it a retail full-priced title? Bomba confirmed?

Chuck

Still without luck
Just tried out the demo. It was a ton of fun and it looks absolutely amazing. I just really wish it had 4-player online co-op. :(

ChryZ

I'm not a Rayman fan at all, but the demo sold me. Best 2D 1080p animation since Critter Crunch, fucking hilarious too.

Okay...I am going to buy this for Vita

Wow, I may get Uncharted, Gravity Daze, this, and Agito at launch...could be the best launch ever for me

Top Bottom