• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Universaldamps said:
Alright, so then why does my tv say 1280x720 when I'm playing say Uncharted/Gears of War and pretty much every other console game, yet for 1080p content like Wipeout HD or Critter Crunch it'll correctly list it as 1080p? It lists the Wii properly as 480p when I'm playing Xenoblade too. I think you're assuming every TV is the same.

The simple way to settle this is to see what resolution your TV says Halo 3 or Cod is running at as they both are rendered below 720p

Here is a list of current gen console games internally rendered resolutions.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

As you can see there a number of games that fall below 720p, yet your TV will not tell you that.

Often a game is scaled up to the closet HD resolution, either 720p or 1080p, now if a game is actually rendered internally @ that resolution then yes your TV well be correct, but you can't rely on it as a true gauge of a games native rendered resolution.

Universaldamps

Neo Member
lowrider007 said:
The simple way to settle this is to see what resolution your TV says Halo 3 or Cod is running at as they both are rendered below 720p

Here is a list of current gen console games internally rendered resolutions.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

As you can see there a number of games that fall below 720p, yet your TV will not tell you that.

Often a game is scaled up to the closet HD resolution, either 720p or 1080p, now if a game is actually rendered internally @ that resolution then yes your TV well be correct, but you can't rely on it as a true gauge of a games native rendered resolution.

I stand corrected hehe. Now I'm sort of curious about it. Maybe I'll direct a tweet to Ubisoft and see if I get a reply.

Downloaded the demo earlier. Pre-order vindicated. If the demo is any indication it's a beautiful, charming, well designed game. Can't wait to dive into the full version.

Rez said:
Not sure how I felt about the demo. :(
A. Awesome
B. Super Awesome!

Preordered yesterday and cannot wait. Tempted to try out the demo but I think I will hold off. So many games and so little time. Hope this can be a success at the registers.

Ranger X

Great demo. Not that I wasn't already sold but FUCKING HELL' I'd almost buy 2 copies just to encourage such 1080p platforming goodness.

ektoll

The killer features for me is the 4-local coop, it's going to be a blast to play with my girlfriend and friends, we need more games like this.

Tailzo

DarkChild said:
Aren't both versions 1080p?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that all Vita games run in an even lower than 720p resolution. That is why I am leaning towards the ps3 version.

Wow the demo was really fun, I was thinking of getting it down the line bu now i just have to buy it day 1. If UbiSoft just delayed this to december and left ACR for november(or vice versa) we would all have been more sane.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Tailzo said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that all Vita games run in an even lower than 720p resolution. That is why I am leaning towards the ps3 version.

The native resolution of the Vita is 960x544 - more or less a quarter of 1080p (1920x1080).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I just found out that this game will be cheaper here in Brazil than in the US at launch.

Incredible.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow just played the demo, sooooo good looking and FUN!! :D :D Will buy!

Brazil said:
I just found out that this game will be cheaper here in Brazil than in the US at launch.

Incredible.

Yeah, R$ 99 or around US$ 55 (when most games cost near US$ 100 here at launch). Looking for pre-ordering it, but no luck finding it on online stores (yet).

Good job, Ubi Brazil.

jarosh

it sure looks absolutely amazing. wow...

however, the controls are far from perfect and just generally too imprecise. the punch in particular is just disastrously laggy. this may be intentional, but it disrupts the flow of the game. turning is equally laggy. the level design seems alright so far, but it's hard to judge from just a single pure platforming level. i also find the environments, gorgeous as they are, to be a bit too distracting at times: it's not always easy to tell what's part of the background, the foreground and what's an obstacle or enemy. this should be instantly, even instinctively recognizable in a platformer. it may just be a bit too busy visually after all.

Zanosuke

Played through the ps3-demo. Will definitely buy! It would be great if they could market the hell of out this right before christmas, but that will probably never happen.. ; /

Zanosuke said:
Played through the ps3-demo. Will definitely buy! It would be great if they could market the hell of out this right before christmas, but that will probably never happen.. ; /

Why would Ubisoft release the game the SAME DAY as AssCreed Revelations? You hear about publishers spreading their product as to not compete with themselves but what the fuck were they thinking? I'm probably in the extreme minority when I buy both titles on Tuesday but most are not even going to know Rayman exists let alone purchase it

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
100% the demo (time attack, 350 coins, the secret items) etc :D Got the costume, soooo addicting! I've missed you 1080p @60fps

DeMeester

ektoll said:
The killer features for me is the 4-local coop, it's going to be a blast to play with my girlfriend and friends, we need more games like this.

I hope the 4p local co-op mode is also available for the pc version.

jarosh

Shurs said:
Really?

I thought it didn't say much of anything.
it didn't. language is somewhat (distractingly) flowery, but it's otherwise just as shallow and often awkwardly worded as your typical ign review.

edit:
it's also full of showy, sophomoric nonsense. take this gem:

ign said:
You'll swirl under oceans in the closest a video game has ever come to replicating the orchestrated synchronized swimming scenes in a Busby Berkeley film (Google it).

i mean: LOL. "google it". cute.

Xav

I fired up the demo on both Xbox 360 & PS3 to make a comparison between the two and both versions looked the same to me. The PS3 version is brighter which makes it look a little more washed out while the Xbox 360 version is darker and looks more vibrant.
However sometimes some areas of the 360 version are too dark therefore you sometimes don't see detail that you would otherwise on the PS3 version.
If the final game has a brightness option then I say slightly turn down the brightness on PS3 and bump it up a little on the 360 and both versions will look the same.

The_Monk

The OT is really clean nice and simple. Good!

Does anyone believe that this may appear as a Digital Download on the Playstation Store?

I would get that day one, since I'm trying to have a more clean gaming space and have some money on my PS Wallet to spare.

Also, I wonder how hard would this be, from all the Genres, Platforms are the most hard for me, don't know why... =/

Yuterald

I want this game so hard right now. Played the demo and loved it. Don't have much of a budget though at the moment so I'm not sure when I'll be able to pick this up. My only complaint/disappointment is the music. Rayman 1 had an AMAZING OST. Not really a fan of the chipmunk singing and the overall new direction for the music.

Just a reminded for those who forgot how awesome Rayman 1 music is:

Band Land:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-h4-D9zko8&feature=related

Crystal Palace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBCmxInQKbQ&feature=related

Picture City:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Au4QJRcA8&feature=related

Anguish Lagoon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCusC1U6VKI&feature=related

Can I even hope to hear music like this in this game? Oh well, the game looks awesome!

This was sort of on my radar before because it looked so gorgeous but after playing the demo I think it's going to be fantastic. I got all the electroons and beat the time trial. I probably won't be able to get it for a while but by the time I do hopefully I can find someone to play co-op with as it looked really fun in the trailer at the end of the demo.

The_Monk said:
The OT is really clean nice and simple. Good!

Does anyone believe that this may appear as a Digital Download on the Playstation Store?

I would get that day one, since I'm trying to have a more clean gaming space and have some money on my PS Wallet to spare.

Also, I wonder how hard would this be, from all the Genres, Platforms are the most hard for me, don't know why... =/
I think a lot of Ubisoft retail games go up on PSN after release but they're usually a rip-off.

The_Monk

electroshockwave said:
I think a lot of Ubisoft retail games go up on PSN after release but they're usually a rip-off.

Thanks for answering. Yeah that was what I was thinking, I have some money on my PS wallet but if I don't get it on PSN I won't get it now. Only when it gets really cheap.

Teppic

jarosh said:
it sure looks absolutely amazing. wow...

however, the controls are far from perfect and just generally too imprecise. the punch in particular is just disastrously laggy. this may be intentional, but it disrupts the flow of the game. turning is equally laggy. the level design seems alright so far, but it's hard to judge from just a single pure platforming level. i also find the environments, gorgeous as they are, to be a bit too distracting at times: it's not always easy to tell what's part of the background, the foreground and what's an obstacle or enemy. this should be instantly, even instinctively recognizable in a platformer. it may just be a bit too busy visually after all.
Which version did you play?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Question;

I asked this before but it got buried in the thread, I'm new to the Rayman series and I'm not really a fan of the Rayman character, his disjointed body bugs me, in the demo you can choose to play using another character which I did, will you be able to do that in the full game from the beginning?

lowrider007 said:
Question;

I asked this before but I got buried in the thread, I'm new the the Rayman series and I'm not really a fan of the Rayman character, I hate his disjointed body, in the demo you can choose to play using another character which I did, will you be able to do the in the full game from the beginning?
You hate his disjointed body? You monster.

I don't know the answer though, I assume so, but I can't be sure.

omg this demo

best demo ive played this gen. controls perfectly(almost get a sonic vibe as a dash through the levels untouched, wide range of moves for a platformer and looks so damn good.

skyrim money is now invested in rayman

Tizoc

Sorry for asking again but I don't think anyone replied to it:
Which ver. fo Rayman 1 on PSN do you recommend getting? PAL or NTSC?

Addnan

The demo was pretty beautiful, I'm kinda tempted to pick it up at full retail price but I know that the price will drop by Christmas must resist.

e_i

Played the demo. Fantastic...but haaarrrrrrrddddddddd.

I've got to change my preorder over from the 360 version to PS3. I think my 360 is dying.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Addnan said:
The demo was pretty beautiful, I'm kinda tempted to pick it up at full retail price but I know that the price will drop by Christmas must resist.
Yeah, it probably will drop, but I'm hoping enough people support it at full price to at least show that such a game can be successful.

Top Bottom