• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

wouwie

I've been playing the demo over and over. There seems to be a good amount of replayability in collecting stuff, finding hidden areas and time trials.

Still 14 days for us euros. It's going to be a long wait.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just tried the demo and it is really really good. may have to figure out a way to get this and justify the purchase with fm4 and reach (and mayhaps MW3) occupying so much of my already limited gaming time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
hioh631 said:
Can't decide between PS3 or Wii version... Ugh.
What's the deciding factor? The game was drawn at 1080p, so it will look MUCH sharper on a PS3. The Wii version will be sacrificing a lot of the detail they've included. Also, the camera is prone to zooming way out, which might be troublesome for the low resolution version.

Well Wii version is cheaper, I can play it on Dolphin (1080p 4xAA) and I think the art style won't lose much on the Wii. I'd really like to see the Wii version in action though, would make things a lot easier.

Waaghals

hioh631 said:
Well Wii version is cheaper, I can play it on Dolphin (1080p 4xAA) and I think the art style won't lose much on the Wii. I'd really like to see the Wii version in action though, would make things a lot easier.

But won't the source art be paired down? there is no need for ultra high quality art if the game was meant to run at 480p.

jett

D-Member
hioh631 said:

4XAA won't help you much since the game is 2D, and since the 2D assets are quite probably of much lower resolution on that version, neither will the increased resolution of Dolphin.

And the game is ALREADY natively running at 1080p on the PS3.

dark10x

hioh631 said:
Due to memory limitations, the Wii version won't include the full 1080p art assets. The game is completely 2D so upscaling it to 1080p using Dolphin will not improve the visuals all that much. It will still appear much blurrier than the PS3 version.

Dolphin can work magic on 3D titles, but there's only so much that can be done with 2D artwork.

Even if the Wii version included high-res assets and you could use Dolphin, what would be the point? The PS3 version is already 1080p so you wouldn't see ANY improvements and would likely only introduce flaws into the mix.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
dark10x said:
Due to memory limitations, the Wii version won't include the full 1080p art assets. The game is completely 2D so upscaling it to 1080p using Dolphin will not improve the visuals all that much. It will still appear much blurrier than the PS3 version.

Dolphin can work magic on 3D titles, but there's only so much that can be done with 2D artwork.

Even if the Wii version included high-res assets and you could use Dolphin, what would be the point? The PS3 version is already 1080p so you wouldn't see ANY improvements and would likely only introduce flaws into the mix.

But Rayman's UbiArt Framework is 3d, isn't it? All the 2d gets translated into nurbs.

dark10x

xir said:
But Rayman's UbiArt Framework is 3d, isn't it? All the 2d gets translated into nurbs.
Even if makes use of 3D rendering techniques, the artwork used in the Wii version isn't going to be of the same resolution as the PS3 and 360 versions. The Wii doesn't have the memory to cope with it.

Dolphin is never going to produce results as crisp as the 360 and PS3 versions.

Hmmm... this is the type of stuff I was needing to know. Guess I will be getting the PS3 version then.

Do all the HD versions come with a code for BG&E HD or is that just Gamestop?

Lijik

overcast said:
Gametrailers review posted? Here
Grabbing my pitchforks. What is the Jeff Gerstmann grade bullshit. Those goddamn fucking dumbasses at Game Trailers wouldn't know what an A button was unless a tutorial explicitly told them these goddamn video game babies need to shut the fuck up and quit. Jesus christ, who even hires these people

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I have the X360 version, but what I REALLY want is the 3DS version. Looks like an awesome handheld game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
hioh631 said:
Hmmm... this is the type of stuff I was needing to know. Guess I will be getting the PS3 version then.

Do all the HD versions come with a code for BG&E HD or is that just Gamestop?

The BG&E thing is Gamestop exclusive. I don't like to give them business but I haven't played BG&E yet so I'll probably buy it from there tonight.

Vicros

I've been looking forward to this for a long time. The Giant Bomb quicklook sold me for sure, then the demo extra sold me. The control is spot-on perfect. I've been wanting a game like this for years.

I don't have high hopes for it's sales numbers, but I'll definitely be one of them.

Tizoc

All these good reviews need to be mentioned in the thread title, maybe as '2D GotY 2011' or some such.

Ken

Cancelled my Halo: Anniversary pre-order but keeping this so I can play through co-op with a friend.

Glad to see that Rayman is getting good reviews.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
John Harker said:
I have the X360 version, but what I REALLY want is the 3DS version. Looks like an awesome handheld game.
Are there any videos of the 3DS version? Or reviews? Has maybe anyone here played the 3DS version and can tell me how good of a port it is? I definitely consider buying the 3DS version for now as Zelda will have me occupied for quite a few weeks when I'm at home. Also I love portable gaming. Later on I'd buy the 360 version when it's in the bomba bin (so... januaray 2012 :(?) for multiplayer. But for this the 3DS version has to be a good port, I don't want the game to have framerate issues or even missing levels :/.

Yoshichan said:
So just saw the Gametrailers review... I'm surprised it didn't get a higher score. They pretty much only gave the game compliments...

They did say the game feels simple minded with not enough stand out moments, so the score goes with their words imo.

Futureman

ii7rU31bXVzrq.png

Gamestop sale 11-25 through 11-27

PS3/360 $40
Wii $30

Amir0x

Banned
WrathOfOtaibah said:
Man that was an awesome cartoon, and I have to agree.

in Courage the Cowardly Dog, that one episode with the naughty barber or whatever was the creepiest fucking cartoon ever

overcast

Amir0x said:
in Courage the Cowardly Dog, that one episode with the naughty barber or whatever was the creepiest fucking cartoon ever
NAUGHTYYYYY.

I thought the GT review was pretty great. I loved seeing more of the game too :D

Mistle

Yoshi said:
Are there any videos of the 3DS version? Or reviews? Has maybe anyone here played the 3DS version and can tell me how good of a port it is? I definitely consider buying the 3DS version for now as Zelda will have me occupied for quite a few weeks when I'm at home. Also I love portable gaming. Later on I'd buy the 360 version when it's in the bomba bin (so... januaray 2012 :(?) for multiplayer. But for this the 3DS version has to be a good port, I don't want the game to have framerate issues or even missing levels :/.
Quoting as I'd like to know where to find 3DS impressions also. I guess they're rare as the game is slated for 2012.

totowhoa

Banned
Futureman said:
ii7rU31bXVzrq.png

Gamestop sale 11-25 through 11-27

PS3/360 $40
Wii $30

Quoting for new page, cause that's a great deal. I'm sticking with my Amazon order for the art book, though. Hopefully it's nice.

Platy

Sklorenz said:
Quoting for new page, cause that's a great deal. I'm sticking with my Amazon order for the art book, though. Hopefully it's nice.

Also, Go Vacation is praticaly Free for the amount of content this game has !

Top Bottom