• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

Omikaru

Tried the demo on PS3 and loved it. The graphics in 1080p are beautiful and I really want to day 1 this, however, something is nagging me that I'd probably prefer this on a portable.

My understanding is that the Vita version is identical to PS3/360 version, just on a smaller screen. That said, I wasn't planning on getting a Vita until later next year. So do we have any idea how this is shaping up on 3DS? Is it looking like the same version as the consoles, just on the 3DS, or will it be like Sonic Generations where a whole different team handles it, and subsequently it turns out different than the PS3/360/Vita/Wii(?) versions?

Bad7667

Loved the demo. Going to pick it up sometime this week but before I do is there any difference between the Xbox or PS3 versions?

Bad7667 said:
Loved the demo. Going to pick it up sometime this week but before I do is there any difference between the Xbox or PS3 versions?
Someone a few pages back played the demos of both and mentioned the usual 360 darker vs. PS3 lighter as the only difference he could find.

rezuth

Wait! This became a full featured release somewhere along the line? Is it worth that price? I mean it looks amazing but I would be disappointed if its short.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
rezuth said:
Wait! This became a full featured release somewhere along the line? Is it worth that price? I mean it looks amazing but I would be disappointed if its short.

The few of us that bought the game are just getting started, so you won't get a definitive answer right away, but for what it's worth it's not just a rebranded XBLA game. It was originally intended to have episodic releases on the console DD platforms, but it was delayed for a full year and developed into a 'full' game. There are 60+ levels, and I imagine they're fairly re-playable with the time trials and collectibles, so it shouldn't be a total ripoff.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
4 hours in, 2 player. Love. it. Wish the characters you unlocked were more than just re-skinned Teensies though. At least there are a lot of them.

rezuth said:
I've spent about an hour and a half on the first four levels. There are time trials, lums to collect, medals to earn by collecting a certain amount of lums. There is a lot of reay value. Time trials are already a bitch.

I'm still early, but it's a great game so far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
bender said:
Art Book is nice for a freebie:

http://i.imgur.com/bmXYj.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/7A0o4.jpg[/MG]

(sorry for picture quality)[/QUOTE]
I am [I]so[/I] glad I decided to import this game from the States using Amazon then. It's odd that Amazon Canada didn't seem to have the deal, given that there have been Rayman Origins promotions everywhere on Teletoon at Night.

Artbook looks nice. Can't wait to get mine in the mail.

Edit: Mine shipped! Now to wait two weeks to get it.

Only played the first few levels since I do the time trials when the levels are fresh in my head and I always try to get the Lum goals at the end, like collect 300 in the whole level or whatever, but man...this game is just fantastic. I've played Arkham City, Gears 3, Uncharted, Sonic Generations, etc, but this is the first game this holiday season that is almost magical with how effortlessly the fun just flows through.

I really can't say enough nice things about the presentation of the game. I got a 32'' LG, and the game just looks flawless. These early environments are just filled with hand-drawn detail, every single element(even the heart container that hovers by your head) is just imbued with so much character. 1080p 60fps 2d platformer heaven, really.

Again, I'm very early in the game but just going through the levels is an absolute joy. Everything animates so smooth and fluid, in a way it'd be incredibly hard for sprites to do. Its one of those games where you are just in perfect unison with Rayman at all times, and you get that "rhythm" when you just run and bounce through the levels effortless through a combination of memorization and instincts. Its the kind of feeling that Doneky Kong Country Returns has in spades, where every level has a real "speed run" path set in mind that you can find, and you feel like such a boss doing 'em right, all the playful catchy tunes and sounds cheering you on. And, like DKCR, they are also filled with collectibles and hidden items, ensuring plenty of replay value and reasons to go back and find secret bonus rooms(and I just have to mention I love the "oooh!" sound when you find a secret room. This is a game that is self-aware of all its platformer tricks of the trade and knows how to have fun right alongside the player).

Man, let me just get back to this game instead of yapping about stuff nobody reads

Played it for an hour at friends house for Wii. Surprisingly fun and addicting. This machine is limping to the finish line wearing a top hat.

Has anyone played this in Dolphin? I MIGHT consider buying the Wii version if it holds up in 1080p. Still pretty shitty of Ubisoft to not release a PC version.

Ken

ab75ec94.jpg

412fb5ec.jpg

I was going to take more pictures of the artbook but my camera ran out of battery.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I wonder if Ubisoft will ever release a proper, full-size Artbook? Seems a shame to just have one of those shitty DVD-case sized books.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
cjelly said:
I wonder if Ubisoft will ever release a proper, full-size Artbook? Seems a shame to just have one of those shitty DVD-case sized books.

I'd love for Rayman Origins to receive the Alice treatment: ~190 pages of hardcovered perfection.

One thing I really have to emphasize I love about this game is the unlimited lives. More and more, developers are realizing what an archaic system "lives" are, and they you can do challenging platformers like Super Meat Boy, Mr/Mrs Spolsion Man, and now Rayman Origins without hanging this number of chances over the player's head before forcing him to start all over again. And we found new ways to reward the player's platforming skills to get into tricky places or exploring the levels besides showering them with 1ups. The lives system should really go the way of the password systems of the NES, a relic of a bygone era we can look back on and think, "Man, we used to put up with this?"

Shurs

It was clear in screen shots and in videos that this game looks great, but it's something else entirely when you see it on your own TV in 1080p and 60 frames-per-second.

Not sure what version to chase TBH. I have all consoles.

Does the Wii verison fully support the Classic Controller?

I've got 2 Pros now, me and the GF probably prefer to play on them than the other two console controllers.

As long as it runs well 'lesser' graphics don't bother me, just want a fun game.

Mungular

dude just played this last night and its a blast! with the lack of platformers this generation origins is a breath of fresh air

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Found some 1080p shots of the Wii version running on Dolphin. It definitely has higher resolution assets than 480p.

Click for full size:

Seems to run at 60 fps as well and because Ubisoft are jerks and didn't release this for PC makes the Wii version on Dolphin the de facto PC version of the game I guess.

Here's a video of the Wii version running in Dolphin (only 480p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8_PemiygiY

Conrad Link said:
Does the Wii verison fully support the Classic Controller?
Yes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh man, this game is something else. It plays so fluidly, now that I've got the controls down I rarely lose momentum. The direct path is fairly easy (so far), but some of the gold trinkets require some pretty precise jumps. I'm just starting, though, so I can look forward to the challenge amping up.

And of course, it looks amazing. The animation is so good.

Between this and Sonic Generations, I'm having a great time with 2D platformers.

Game looks like it will be super hard later on, but nailing a speed run is amazing.

SoulClap

Just picked this up today. I know its been said several times already but goddamn this game is beautiful. Soundtrack is incredible too. My only complaint so far is you can't hold down the X button to float after jumping. You have to let go of the jump button and press it again. It doesn't feel very fluid.

Adam J.

Just logged 4 hours into this baby and had to tear myself away from the controller--game is absolutely stunning in each and every way. So refreshing to play something this fun and charming on a non-Nintendo system, and in HD!

Fletcher

Yeah. This game is really fun. I'm having a blast playing with three other people and everyone just smacking one another. Fun times.

It's good to have Rayman back. The demo was a lot of fun, and I loved the lums' singing. Unfortunately I probably won't buy this right away. I still have Skyrim and Saints Row a little higher on my wishlist, but I'll pick it up down the line.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Currently I am undecided whether to pick this up for PS3 or wait and see more details about the 3DS version (the game looks like it would be a blast to have in your pocket for downtime).

Loving the resurgence of amazing 2d platformers.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
The demo was a blast. Running and jumping and punching in the beautifully drawn world was fun. The music was charming and catchy. I even chuckled at some of the things the characters did. But the price point was a real shocker. Reading the OP I thought it might have been a joke because the stated genre is FPS but it was no joke. The thing is, I know they worked hard on it and I really enjoyed what I played but for some reason I think it should be a lower price. I was expecting it to be downloadable and $20 at the most. 2D = downloadable in my head I guess. Feels bad man. :(

It's not a lost sale at least because I don't have any money to throw around for gaming right now (except for indie bundles, it's important to support the up-and-comers I think. And it's cheap). I'll definitely buy it later when I have money to spare and at a discounted price.

Adam J.

Do The Mario said:
Currently I am undecided whether to pick this up for PS3 or wait and see more details about the 3DS version (the game looks like it would be a blast to have in your pocket for downtime).

Loving the resurgence of amazing 2d platformers.
Why not both? You've got to see it in HD, so PS3 first.

Tizoc

canadian crowe said:
I've spent about an hour and a half on the first four levels. There are time trials, lums to collect, medals to earn by collecting a certain amount of lums. There is a lot of reay value. Time trials are already a bitch.

I'm still early, but it's a great game so far.
Nah the first world's time trials are actually easy: Just hold the shoulder buttons and run like crazy. In later stages you need to time your jumps as well.

Glad to see more got the game, and I hope you enjoy the later worlds and stages =D

BTW, I'm not the only one who chuckled at how
your very first power from the fairy is to attack
am I?

Gonna go buy Rayman 1 off PSN today~

taoofjord

Got it! Played the first world and am astounded at how brilliant the game is! I loved the intro and adore the characters in the hub area. No doubt this is going to be a massive cult hit just like beyond good and evil. Pick this up now before it drops in price so we can get another great game from ancel PLEASE

superbank said:
The thing is, I know they worked hard on it and I really enjoyed what I played but for some reason I think it should be a lower price. I was expecting it to be downloadable and $20 at the most. 2D = downloadable in my head I guess. Feels bad man. :(
The only way to kill that irrational mentality is to buy this game and realize that your purchase was justified by playing it. You enjoyed the demo immensely, the game is packed with content, what more needs to be said? I know you said you don't have the money right now but once you do there is no excuse.

Bowdz

I've played up to the second boss and I absolutely love it so far. Unbelievable how much of the essence of the original Rayman they managed to capture and re-imagine. I still prefer the original Rayman (especially in terms of music), but Origins is such a fantastic game that it easily outclasses most other current platforms IMO.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just made it to the third world. It's probably the prettiest yet, it reminds me of Hall's Breezers.

Nyj3I.jpg

The levels aren't difficult yet, but the secondary goals seem to be getting a little more demanding and shit got real with my first treasure chase. Hope to see more of those soon.

Empty

any insight from people living in a first world gaming country as to what the balance is between traditional platforming levels and chase and shmup levels in what you've played so far?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Empty said:
any insight from people living in a first world gaming country as to what the balance is between traditional platforming levels and chase and shmup levels in what you've played so far?

I've completed the first two worlds. There has been one shmup level in each world, versus about 4 to 6 pure platforming levels. I haven't had to do a chase level (like in the demo) yet, so I'm guessing they're rare.

Mifune

Mehmber
Played through the first world last night. It's beautiful and fun. Gonna go back and pick up all the stuff I missed the first time.

Not much else to say except that this game kept me from playing Skyrim for a whole evening. High praise indeed.

Top Bottom