• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

Just got done with the fifth world, and I just can't stop saying nice things about this game. Just wonderfully fun from every aspect of its design. I could describe what I like, but it would just be flowery praise non-stop. I love this game, truly.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, the last level of Luscious Lakes is kicking my ass. It's even less forgiving than the treasure chases. It's all ice and it only takes one mistake for the fish to catch up and kill you. But that's OK, plenty of other stuff to do.

More people should be playing this. GOTY material, bitches. Hopefully the thread will pick up when it gets cheaper.

Tizoc

Snuggler said:
Wow, the last level of Luscious Lakes is kicking my ass. It's even less forgiving than the treasure chases. It's all ice and it only takes one mistake for
the pack of fish
to catch up and kill you. But that's OK, plenty of other stuff to do.

More people should be playing this. GOTY material, bitches. Hopefully the thread will pick up when it gets cheaper.
I kept telling you guys it's GotY material =3
Ugh this cold and sour throat is demotivating me from playing on my PS3, will try to beat the game today though >_<

Only played the first world because I'm tired as fuck.

Game is amazing. Controls are ungodly tight, and the graphics are beautiful. Game has an awesome flow to it...Rayman moves through the world effortlessly and fluidly. Might end up being as good as DKCR, which was my GotY last year.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
dark10x said:
There is plenty of speed, though, but suggesting that speed isn't a part of the game is disingenuous. From Sonic 2 onward, the 16-bit games were all about moving quickly with platforming mixed in. Generations continues in that same fashion with the first stages allowing for faster movement with easy platforming while the game builds up in complexity and requires more from the player as you progress.
On top of that, Sonic 1 was intended to be as fast as possible, too. It's just that developers learned to tackle the Mega Drive better for Sonic 2 and were more brave in regards to level design. In Sonic Generations I knew what I was doing all the time. You could do blind jumps (if you knew the levels that's ok by me), but you don't have to do blind jumps. But that's not limited to games as fast as Sonic Generations. If you do a roll in DKCR and then jump, you will also jump s far that you can't see the place you're landing on before jumping.

New EDGE just in! Quote from their Origins review:

New abilities are gained quickly, and once Rayman is able to attack, fly and run on walls he becomes a joy to control. The perfectly judged inertia and rollercoaster routes of later stages bring memories of golden-era Sonic rushing back, and the frequency of new ideas and spectacle occasionally makes us think, dare we say it, of Treasure.

The whole review is positive. They gave it an 8.

There's no question about it - I am dead set on this game now. In fact, I think I'll go for the Special Edition!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, the X360 version is absolutely rendering at a native 1080p resolution? I recall some confusion arose when a presumably poorly-worded PS Blog post implied that the PS3 version was the only one to be 1080p.

Generally, I purchase my multiplatform games on the PS3 unless they're particularly piss-poor efforts (e.g. Bayonetta and The Orange Box), but since I'm still on CFW my ability to play newer games on the platform has taken a significant hit.

taoofjord

Played more... don't know what else to say other than it is god damn brilliant. Please buy it, people. Don't wait for it to drop in price, I want another game from Ancel with this kinda of budget and creative freedom.

Tizoc

Just beat the game
what's the story of the game again? ...and what's up with the villain, I mean why was I beating mooks up to get to him for? lol
All in all a great fun platformer. 9 out 10 easily X3
Now hurry up with that Online patch Ubi ;3

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JaseC said:
So, the X360 version is absolutely rendering at a native 1080p resolution? I recall some confusion arose when a presumably poorly-worded PS Blog post implied that the PS3 version was the only one to be 1080p.

Generally, I purchase my multiplatform games on the PS3 unless they're particularly piss-poor efforts (e.g. Bayonetta and The Orange Box), but since I'm still on CFW my ability to play newer games on the platform has taken a significant hit.
Is there a 360 demo out there? I'll have to try it and see. The 360 always upscales to the selected resolution, but you can tell if the game is native 1080p or not. It's a bit more difficult with vector based 2D, however, as that stuff upscales very nicely.

Ydahs

So was anyone disappointed with the demo, but ended up loving the final product? Because the demo was pretty boring :\

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
dark10x said:
Is there a 360 demo out there? I'll have to try it and see. The 360 always upscales to the selected resolution, but you can tell if the game is native 1080p or not. It's a bit more difficult with vector based 2D, however, as that stuff upscales very nicely.

I usually reference the Beyond3D rendering resolution list for this, but Rayman isn't listed under either platform.

crispyben

Something weird happened during the night: the PS3 version disappeared from both Amazon.fr and Fnac.com, though second-party sellers still offer it... I knew I should have put in that preorder then!

Tizoc

...aaaaaaaaaaand that takes care fo all the hidden cages~
Gonna try to get more Medals and time trials tomorrow.

loving this game so damn much. it's beautiful and once you get into a flow you feel amazing. about paying $60 for this: i did it, then i regretted it, then the game came in and all i could think is "so worth it"(helps that amazon gave me $10 credit after release :p). it's refreshing and extremely different from anything i've played lately.

so i'm stuck on a treasure chase(pirates treasure). at the very end when wal ljumping the chest just teleports to the right, the screen pans with it and i die. any help is appreciated thx.

Tizoc

loving this game so damn much. it's beautiful and once you get into a flow you feel amazing. about paying $60 for this: i did it, then i regretted it, then the game came in and all i could think is "so worth it"(helps that amazon gave me $10 credit after release :p). it's refreshing and extremely different from anything i've played lately.

so i'm stuck on a treasure chase(pirates treasure). at the very end when wal ljumping the chest just teleports to the right, the screen pans with it and i die. any help is appreciated thx.

Yeah that one got me stumped too: You just gotta jump to the right quickly and make sure your character is on the screen when it zooms to the right.
I've lost at that part of the chase like 20 times before I managed to hit the damn chest.
jUST keep trying and you'll luck out and get it =/

thx, gonna give this a shot later. i even had someone(my brother) watch me play the level just in case i was missing something lol.

Himself

I just played the demo and holy shit. That was an absolute joy. The sound effects and music are incredible! And it nails that elusive thing that so many 2D platformers mess up: it's a joy simply to control the character. I just ordered from Amazon and it can't arrive fast enough!

Tizoc

Just checking but...you can't get double the lums from a Coin can you? I've tried numerous times to get 50 lums off these coins but no dice.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just checking but...you can't get double the lums from a Coin can you? I've tried numerous times to get 50 lums off these coins but no dice.

No, it's always 25. Took me awhile to learn that. I've been going back and hunting Lums as well. I normally don't care about trophies and stuff but I'm trying to 100% this game and git dat platinum.

Platy

I was thinking ...

....is this the first retail game to have exactly the same version in ps3, 360 and wii ? =P

thirty

Banned
downloaded the demo last night. i'll try again tonight but i dont understand how people could choose this style over generations. Rayman on saturn and psx looked great. they even managed to retain that look on the dreamcast version. This one looks like a better version of what they did with street fighter 2 hd and it comes off as kinda cheap imo. doesnt have that same charm as old 2d games. i dunno. its very weird.

I vehemently disagree with that. The old 2d games weirded me out with their way too big sprites and mediorce animation. Everything in this game looks fantastic, Rayman and the cast animate so fluidly, the stages are just packed with hand-drawn detail by a team of talented artists, and it feels like a re-engergizing of the Rayman series and its characters. You can take a screenshot of pretty much any frame and slap in on your desktop wallpaper. Its the most beautiful game I've seen all year, Uncharted 3 be damned.

Anyway, got all the electoons and beat super secret level place. There's a handful of NITRO trophies I'm missing, but I don't think I'm ever getting those, for the sake of my sanity.

GWX

It's pretty hard to play the Wii version both in my 42" LCD TV and my 21" 4:3 CRT TV. Can't read shit =(

Please, Ubisoft, release a PC version. Pleeeease =/

Idesofmarch

Neo Member
This game is awesome!

But I do have a question regarding Rayman continuity...

If this is an origin story, why are Rayman and the mosquito friends? Because I remember in one of the earlier Rayman games (the first I think) the first boss is the mosquito and then you beat him up and only then become buds. But this game happens before that... Maybe they will have a falling out before the end of the game....?

But really, everyone should buy this game

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, "My Heartburn's For You" is giving me a hard time. I'm at almost 160 pink lum's now, so I'm pretty good at this game, but those fish are kicking my ass. If you don't play perfectly, you die. I welcome the challenge but this shit is brutal. Even tougher than the treasure chest chases, which are awesome by the way.

EDIT - YES, I got inside the monster's body. Fuck you, you flaming, flying asshole fish.

Tizoc

^I don't think I had a problem with stage...but I'd need to replay it so I could remember lol.

No, it's always 25. Took me awhile to learn that. I've been going back and hunting Lums as well. I normally don't care about trophies and stuff but I'm trying to 100% this game and git dat platinum.

hey even if it didn't have a platinum (as in if this was released during the PS2 era) we'd still try to 100% it ;)
Dunno if I would do that anytime soon but will try in the near future.

I vehemently disagree with that. The old 2d games weirded me out with their way too big sprites and mediorce animation.

Err the first Rayman game, released in 1995, had good animation IMO.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
^I don't think I had a problem with stage...but I'd need to replay it so I could remember lol.

Right now I'm trying to survive that boss's fiery indigestion. I always fuck up once I get up to the bubbles.

edit - just got to the next checkpoint, yay. this game is SO DAMN GOOD. At first it's just charming and simple but the deeper you go, the more demanding it gets. Love it.

I DID IT, FUCK YEAH. Too bad I'll have to replay since I missed most of the lums...

Tizoc

Oh now I remember that stage the first part, I kept restarting since I wanted to get every or as many lums as possible. I was worried that I wouldn't get enough for the medal when I was
in his belly
, but turns out I didn't need to worry hehe.
Yeah that stage wasn't so hard but hiting it's err lifepoints was rather fun.

Seik

Banned
Found some 1080p shots of the Wii version running on Dolphin. It definitely has higher resolution assets than 480p.

Click for full size:

Seems to run at 60 fps as well and because Ubisoft are jerks and didn't release this for PC makes the Wii version on Dolphin the de facto PC version of the game I guess.

Here's a video of the Wii version running in Dolphin (only 480p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8_PemiygiY

Yes.

Oh well, I'm convinced, I will probably buy the Wii version! ^^ Its looking really better than what I expected

Seik

Banned
I'm confused. Do you not have a 360 or PS3?
Yeah, I know it sounds weird. But I always played Rayman games on Nintendo consoles and since there will not be 360/PS3 emulators anytime soon, I'm going with the Wii version that will be my PC version too at the same time.

Who knows I will probably buy a used PS3 version when it'll drop price. These time I really like playing with Dolphin. After trying it once it's quite hard to return gaming on my Wii.

pelican

Yeah, I know it sounds weird. But I always played Rayman games on Nintendo consoles and since there will not be 360/PS3 emulators anytime soon, I'm going with the Wii version that will be my PC version too at the same time.

Who knows I will probably buy a used PS3 version when it'll drop price. These time I really like playing with Dolphin. After trying it once it's quite hard to return gaming on my Wii.

I suppose playing on the Wii will be fine since it is 2D. You will just be missing the resolution, although if you play it through Dolphin on your PC that won't be an issue.

sourpk

Neo Member
Completed the game. 100% teeth unlocks
"Land of The Livid Dead." Completing it results in the same credits -- except in the background. Played the Wii version.

Pookmunki

I think the demo water level's music alone is enough to convince me to get this when released in EU-land - is all the soundtrack this friggin good?!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think the demo water level's music alone is enough to convince me to get this when released in EU-land - is all the soundtrack this friggin good?!

oh yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcnGHqp-jUI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3wLm_aT85s&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6NDtDrtAIY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSEfsMOj5I&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL0D29A2F3D9C2DACB

...and most of the best tracks aren't on youtube yet.

I would love to buy the OST, but I doubt that Ubi will ever bother.

I can't put my finger on why exactly this is, but with this game I have fun even when I keep dying. Games like 'Splosion Man and LBP make me want to break controllers, but I just laugh with this one. I think a lot of it has to do with how deaths are handled and the control scheme. When you die you just start over in the same room with unlimited lives. The controls handle well enough that you know you died due to your own error and not some quirk in the game's controls or hit detection.

Theonik

oh yes

...and most of the best tracks aren't on youtube yet.

I would love to buy the OST, but I doubt that Ubi will ever bother.

I think Ubisoft is bundling the OST with the PAL Collector's edition. At least I think it's the full OST since they haven't specified.

Shinjiru

I was thinking the same thing. The demo has sold me on this game. I thought the MGS HD collection would be my final game purchase of the year, as this wasn't even on my radar.

NewFresh

Picked up the wii version toady. I was worried that after playing the 360 demo I would be disappointed in the visuals. But I remain thoroughly impressed.

Just made it half way through the second area (the one with the instruments) and dear God this game is fun! I am loving playing co-op as well, but more for the chaos factor. I will play more single player than multi just because I like doing speed runs and getting every last item available.

EYEL1NER

I'm very excited to start playing this in a bit.
I went to get Halo yesterday and was torn between NFS: The Run and this game, but with the demo for this being amazing and the NFS demo having expired, this is what I got.
Being able to get it for $16 didn't hurt either.

I'm very excited to start playing this in a bit.
I went to get Halo yesterday and was torn between NFS: The Run and this game, but with the demo for this being amazing and the NFS demo having expired, this is what I got.
Being able to get it for $16 didn't hurt either.
How'd you get it for $16?

Top Bottom