• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

Tizoc

The ratio of shmup to traditional platform stages is:
3-4 Platform: 1 Shmup

...and I got the game for 60 dollars...and it was money well spent: every friggin' cent.

Leonsito

I didn't give a shit about this game, but I just played the demo.

OH MY GOD

Amazing graphics and the gameplay is terrific, now I'm getting this asap.

Btw, just after I finished the demo I tried the Sonic Generations one... I won't make any commentary.

Well, just one, what a pile of shit, and this is hyped on GAF as a great Sonic game?

Tizoc

Leonsito said:

OH MY GOD

Btw, just after I finished the demo I tried the Sonic Generations one... I won't make any commentary.

Well, just one, what a pile of shit, and this is hyped on GAF as a great Sonic game?
Ask in the Sonic Gen. thread about that mate.

I'm actually a few stages away from beating the game, will see if I can beat it by tomorrow.

Dawkins

The game looks georgeous. However, the gameplay and level design feel a bit boring and repetitive compared to the Mario or Donkey Kong games. They lack the challenge and gameplay imagination these Nintendo games have and remind more of Kirbys Epic Yarn or Wario Shake It. It's more about being "in the flow" in Rayman than trying to go through an obstacle course.

Bowdz said:
I've played up to the second boss and I absolutely love it so far. Unbelievable how much of the essence of the original Rayman they managed to capture and re-imagine. I still prefer the original Rayman (especially in terms of music), but Origins is such a fantastic game that it easily outclasses most other current platforms IMO.

Mystical Pique is an amazing song.

The game looks georgeous. However, the gameplay and level design feel a bit boring and repetitive compared to the Mario or Donkey Kong games. They lack the challenge and gameplay imagination these Nintendo games have and remind more of Kirbys Epic Yarn or Wario Shake It. It's more about being "in the flow" in Rayman than trying to go through an obstacle course.

wait until you get to the later levels, preferably towards the end. It's like Super Meat Boy level.

Backflip

I have a question for those of you who have played/reviewed the game (I'm currently playing the game and I'm stuck):

I'm at a point where I'm in front of a portal with the four nymphs in front of it and one of them is telling me that I need to free four kings or something like that before the gate opens. I have gone through all the levels before that point and I have no idea what they mean by that. Does anyone know what I have to do to get past this point?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dang, I didn't know the second phase opened an entire new set of levels, just as much as the first. The second phase is more challenging, which is welcome. All I've done today is play this game lol.

^ Backflip, you're now on the second phase. Return to the Glade of Dreams and you'll see the new areas available (look for question marks).

Beaulieu

Backflip said:
I have a question for those of you who have played/reviewed the game (I'm currently playing the game and I'm stuck):

I'm at a point where I'm in front of a portal with the four nymphs in front of it and one of them is telling me that I need to free four kings or something like that before the gate opens. I have gone through all the levels before that point and I have no idea what they mean by that. Does anyone know what I have to do to get past this point?

Go back to the world map... new worlds are going to be unlocked and you need to finish all of those, in any order you want. :)

Dawkins said:
lol, good one brah

Backflip

Beaulieu said:
Go back to the world map... new worlds are going to be unlocked and you need to finish all of those, in any order you want. :)

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that. I must be tired.

The levels do get pretty challenging, but no, the level design isn't on the same level as the best Mario titles or Donkey Kong Country Returns, for example. Still, a great, great game.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Is there a story to this game at all? There's not anything here that makes any sense.

As far as I can tell
monsters are from the Realm of the Livid Dead? Good creatures are turned into bosses? Last boss was a goth chick who we know nothing about? Huh?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
The_Darkest_Red said:
The only way to kill that irrational mentality is to buy this game and realize that your purchase was justified by playing it. You enjoyed the demo immensely, the game is packed with content, what more needs to be said? I know you said you don't have the money right now but once you do there is no excuse.
Yeah definitely. It was just a real shocker to think I wouldn't pay full price for this but I have for other 3D games, many of them flavor-of-the-week shooters that my friends want to play online. But actually, I haven't bought any games in the past year except for the cheap indie bundles, a few ipod app games, and free indie PC games. That might have more to do with it. The only full price exception I could make would be SS I think.

Anyway, enough OT talk! I'll pick it up when I can.

King_Moc

Banned
Mmm, 1080p and 60fps. Nice.

Think i'll get this in the new year when my backlog's gone (kinda). As this game looks pretty good, no one will buy it so at least it'll be cheap by then.

:(

I'm debating whether to return my Amazon order w/ the art book in favor of Gamestop's Black Friday deal. I have never see Amazon miraculously improve shipping time faster than when I tried to cancel this order, lol. Normally I would just swallow the cost, but the glut of games over the past month or two has stretched my budget pretty thin. It's also not as difficult to wait it out with Super Mario 3D Land in my 3DS and Skyward Sword on the immediate horizon. Still, I wonder if I should just say "what the hell" and stick with the art book as a collectible.

Decision, decisions.

Lima

Patch online co-op and I will buy this game day 1 next week once it releases in Yurope.

If you don't I will wait for zaavi mega monday. Sorry Ubisoft but we live in 2011. No online co-op means no instant buy.

taoofjord

Played multiplayer with my non-gamer girlfriend and we both had a blast. I think this is the best platformer I've played since Super Mario Galaxy 1.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
As I said above, I've spent most of my day playing this game, but I stopped. Not only did I stop playing the game, but the console was shut off as well as my TV.

That's because the goddamn power went out. That's what it took to pull me from this game. The second phase of levels are much better than the first, but I've been working on time trials , collecting lums, and freeing all the electoons I missed on the first phase, and this shit is addicive. It's a damn shame that only like 5 of us are playing this game, hopefully Euro and Aus GAF will step up to the plate.

Adam J.

My roommate and I are fighting over who gets dibs on Rayman privileges tonight (lol). Last I played I had just unlocked the second-tier stages and only played one--the challenge is really starting to rev up!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
canadian crowe said:
What are the second tier stages? Are they just the last set of levels, or do all of the levels get a challenge makeover.

The first tier of levels remain the same, you can return to them for trials/collectibles etc, but the second tier opens up a new set of levels for each world. They use all of the abilities you unlocked in the first tier, and they're not as easy.

Snuggler said:
The first tier of levels remain the same, you can return to them for trials/collectibles etc, but the second tier opens up a new set of levels for each world. They use all of the abilities you unlocked in the first tier, and they're not as easy.

Thanks. How do you unlock them? I mastered the first world, I assume you unlock them when you get all your powers.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
canadian crowe said:
Thanks. How do you unlock them? I mastered the first world, I assume you unlock them when you get all your powers.

Yeah, just make it through all of the first tier levels. You unlock all of the additional powers by the time you finish the last of the first tier levels.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Only played for about an hour earlier before I had to work, can't wait to jump back in. I have no fucking clue why ubi would release this against assassin's creed when they're behind both...and that's not even mention the other 3 or 4 games that came out this week. :\

Snuggler said:
Yeah, just make it through all of the first tier levels. You unlock all of the additional powers by the time you finish the last of the first tier levels.
Thanks again! I look forward to playing some more, I'm getting pretty decent at these speed runs.

bryehn

Leonsito said:

OH MY GOD

I played it. It's crap. Not total crap, but crap nonetheless. My favourite part was the pinball table DLC. Yeah.

---

So, does the Wii version have CC support? Money's a bit tight but I'd stil;l love to play Rayman Origins.

EDIT: I have CP and arthritis so the old Wii Remote sideways deal isn't very comfortable to play with.

Leonsito said:

I felt exactly the same. Should have tried Sonic first. The tutorial shitty friend of Sonic almost drove me crazy.

Tizoc

PetriP-TNT said:
I felt exactly the same. Should have tried Sonic first. The tutorial shitty friend of Sonic almost drove me crazy.
You could've turned off the little fella before playing the game ya know.

Leonsito

PetriP-TNT said:

Yeah, trying both made the difference absurd, I don't get what SEGA is thinking.

But back to Rayman: OMG it must be the first Rayman game I want to buy, played the demo a couple of times lol

Funny thing is that the third level was the only one I never died, but in the first one I died a couple of times trying to get that coin with the moving platform below :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Do The Mario said:
Currently I am undecided whether to pick this up for PS3 or wait and see more details about the 3DS version (the game looks like it would be a blast to have in your pocket for downtime).

Loving the resurgence of amazing 2d platformers.
PS3 without a doubt. The low resolution screen of the 3DS would totally waste the incredible artwork on display here. You HAVE to see this on a TV. It's so beautiful. The best 2D I've seen in any game to date, I might have to say. The way it is presented is SO good that they could almost use this engine to deliver an actual television cartoon. It's THAT good.

I'm sure it'll be nice on 3DS as well, but you're going to lose a LOT of detail. I bought it on PS3 and I'll probably buy it again on Vita. The game is just that good.

Really? What's wrong with it? I absolutely loved Sonic Generations, though Rayman is definitely a better experience.

Leonsito

dark10x said:
PS3 without a doubt. The low resolution screen of the 3DS would totally waste the incredible artwork on display here. You HAVE to see this on a TV. It's so beautiful. The best 2D I've seen in any game to date, I might have to say. The way it is presented is SO good that they could almost use this engine to deliver an actual television cartoon. It's THAT good.

I'm sure it'll be nice on 3DS as well, but you're going to lose a LOT of detail. I bought it on PS3 and I'll probably buy it again on Vita. The game is just that good.

Really? What's wrong with it? I absolutely loved Sonic Generations, though Rayman is definitely a better experience.

Maybe the demo is from an old build, but everything felt like a beta, the speed of classic Sonic was way too fast, jump physics were strange, seems like they were trying to match the ones from the original game but something is a bit off.

I think they are still insisting that Sonic is all about speed, and this is the result, you blaze through everything fast, with little control, and when you touch the jump button is probably you'll end in a hole or touching some spikes, and occasionally you will into a loop or jump that switches to a isometric view just to make it cool, without adding anything to the game.

I honestly thought this would be a great Sonic game for once, but seems to be the same :(

dark10x

Leonsito said:
Maybe the demo is from an old build, but everything felt like a beta, the speed of classic Sonic was way too fast, jump physics were strange, seems like they were trying to match the ones from the original game but something is a bit off.

I think they are still insisting that Sonic is all about speed, and this is the result, you blaze through everything fast, with little control, and when you touch the jump button is probably you'll end in a hole or touching some spikes, and occasionally you will into a loop or jump that switches to a isometric view just to make it cool, without adding anything to the game.

I honestly thought this would be a great Sonic game for once, but seems to be the same :(
I think you need to spend more time with it then. It's not at all like that. First of all, pits are actually somewhat rare in the game (there is a real high, medium, and low path) and it is not just about speed. Many of the later levels are filled to the brim with platforming. There is plenty of speed, though, but suggesting that speed isn't a part of the game is disingenuous. From Sonic 2 onward, the 16-bit games were all about moving quickly with platforming mixed in. Generations continues in that same fashion with the first stages allowing for faster movement with easy platforming while the game builds up in complexity and requires more from the player as you progress.

As for the isometric loops that appear occasionally, let's be honest, this is something Sega has been trying to do with Sonic since 1993. Within the first five seconds of Sonic CD you hit a ramp that tries to simulate shifting into a 3D perspective. They were aiming to deliver "3D effects" in 2D for years. Displaying those things in real 3D is in perfect harmony with the series.

Mifune

Mehmber
Played a little bit more last night. The second world is much more challenging and fun than the first one. Also unlocked my first treasure chase, which was fast and frenetic and awesome.

I love how the music has an improvisational feel. As you go further in the world, more instruments and new riffs are added. Reminds me of the Banjo Kazooie soundtracks in that way.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I just did the second world as well, even better. Really like the treasure chest chases, pretty frantic.

I seem to have a knack for getting _49 Lums, one short of the medal for a level. God dammit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I had no idea this would be 1080p and 60fps. I think I'll pick it up for the PS3.

Don't suppose there is any word/rumors about a PC version?

Papercuts said:
Yeah, I just did the second world as well, even better. Really like the treasure chest chases, pretty frantic.

I seem to have a knack for getting _49 Lums, one short of the medal for a level. God dammit.
lums-info-1.png

Dude's laughing at you.

SykoTech

PetriP-TNT said:

Thankfully, you can turn that piece of crap off in the full game. No idea why they shoehorned him in to start with when the game is already simple and has button prompts to boot.

r.gun

Neo Member
Seriously enjoying this game. Probably the biggest surprise for me this year - wasn't expecting to even pick this title up before I played the demo.

dark10x

SykoTech said:
Thankfully, you can turn that piece of crap off in the full game. No idea why they shoehorned him in to start with when the game is already simple and has button prompts to boot.
You can disable all button prompts, tutorials, and signs in the game. A nice touch indeed!

Top Bottom