• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

I can't put my finger on why exactly this is, but with this game I have fun even when I keep dying. Games like 'Splosion Man and LBP make me want to break controllers, but I just laugh with this one. I think a lot of it has to do with how deaths are handled and the control scheme. When you die you just start over in the same room with unlimited lives. The controls handle well enough that you know you died due to your own error and not some quirk in the game's controls or hit detection.

Rayman Origins controls so well because you have just the right amount of wiggle room in the air, especially with the floaty hold-A move, that you can make every jump as precise as you want it. You never run out of explosions like Splosion Man, or have to make stupid pixel perfect jumps slipping around like a bar of soap in draconian trial-and-error excuses for levels in Super Meat Boy. There's challenges in the game, but the controls allow you to handle everything with a margin of error due to the ablities the game gives the player. Its a platformer perfection rarely achived outside of the best Nintendo has to offer.

It also helps that they don't have lives to worry about(you even get your heart back if you died with it!), the checkpoint system is forgiving, and loading after death is almost instantanous. Like Donkey Kong Country Returns before it, every platformer level in Rayman Origins, while accomadating for exploration through its 350+ Lums and hidden rooms, are also build for speed runs, with the enemy placement, the timing of enviroment dangers, and the "flow" you can find through skillful use of your arsenal and knowledge of the level design.

All platformers should be as good as Rayman Origins

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Do all SKUs lack 5.1 sound? My PS3 version will only do stereo regardless of what I have set in the control panel. Is that a bug with the PS3 version?

EYEL1NER

How'd you get it for $16?
Eh, Kmart deals. Last week I bought Skyrim and MW3, which gave me $50 in coupons. Yesterday, there was Buy One, Get One Half Off new games, so I grabbed Rayman and Halo CEA. Total after BOGO and coupons was $32. I figured $16 for each game.

I've been playing this game since it came out and I'm absolutely impressed by everything the game offers. Visuals, funny musics and game-play everything is just how it should be. I mean I'm not saying perfect but it just feels right.

Plus, water mechanics have been a horror of mine ever since but somehow controlling Rayman under water is pretty easy, he just floats around and stuff. The game itself is not easy but I didn't struggle because of water mechanics.

totowhoa

Banned
Been loving this game. Just beat it today, and this game has the LONGEST CREDITS I have ever seen, damn. You may think they're finally over when they get to the special thanks, but no sir.

I currently have 200 electoons and I currently have the game paused on the final treasure chest. That chest is really giving me problems. Chest # 8 I actually managed on my first try, ha. 9 and 10 have brutal, though.

This game is really fantastic. It's going to be, in my opinion, a classic 2D platformer. It's just too damn good not to be. I think I might do as I did with DKC:R and 100% this game (which I also felt was phenomenal). I'm not too worried about the gold trophies, as I ended up getting them about 80% of the time or more when I was going to for the time trial electoon. The electoon "award" or whatever for getting 350 in a level is going to be hard though :(

Currently playing PS3 FWIW. My fiance and I each have our own single player saves, but we've yet to team up for co-op, so I'm looking forward to that.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The 350 lum challenges haven't been too difficult so far, at least in the first tier of levels. You're not required to get the red/2X lums, so they're basically bonus points. I've missed several yellows while still ending up with like 350-380 lums at the end of the level. It's not gonna be as easy in some of the later levels, though, especially the ones that require you to move fast through the level while something nasty chases you.

Anyways, I'm just about at the end. Left off at the
giant robot chase/battle
. Between the last set of levels and the treasure chases, it's had some fairly challenging moments.

This game really is something special, though. This has been said a million times already, but the art, animation, performance and music come together in such a wonderful way. It's just so refreshingly cheery and fun. The controls work with the level design to create a great sense of rhythm, it's very satisfying to zip through an area by bouncing off of enemies, sliding down slopes and hovering over dangerous shit without missing a beat. In addition to that, it's got a pretty decent amount of content with the multiple goals for every level.

So good.

Hugs

Played this at PAX and it was a blast, definitely going to pick it up when I have the time to play it. I played a bunch of the first Rayman when I was younger, that was a fun game but also a challenge in some places, really enjoyable.

It had a very nice soundtrack too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPJby8jS17U#movie_player

And from what I've seen here this game hits up both those elements. Can't wait.

totowhoa

Banned
Just finished
the bonus world. It was like 8 treasure chase type levels back to back with a final boss. Boss wasn't bad... It seems rough until you finally spot it's weak point

Watching credits for the second time. Timing it this time around. 13 min so far and if I recall I'm only a bit over halfway through them so far.

Man, I'm def going to 100% this game

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Watching the credits right now. The final platforming sequence was nuts
(with the collapsing platforms after beating the bosses)
. Maybe I suck because I must have died like 50 times before I aced it. I love that they didn't really bother with the story making sense.
The extremely abrupt ending made me laugh. They just say "fuck it" and go back to bed.

Now it's time to 100% this bitch.

Edit - You weren't kidding about the credits.

Are you still doing your 'Super Cool People who Bought Rayman Origins at Launch' list Snuggler? Have the PAL collector's edition paid off and preordered for this Thursday...

... but I don't have a chance to actually play it until next Sunday however. :(

Also is it true they dropped the whole 'prequel' aspect of this game? Or is it just really light on plot compared to Rayman 2/3?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ubisoft are still calling it a prequel, but it is very light on plot. It barely even has a story, you just go after the bad guys.

Tizoc

@Snuggler- No the final platform stage requires to react real fucking fast or you won't be able to reach the end.

...but yeah this my GotY 2011 no doubt.

Adam J.

Yeah, that final stage is no joke--I was stuck on it for about 30 minutes (lol).

GOTY? Yeah, why not. Nothing else came close (for me at least) in the charm/fun department. Hope we get to see this engine used on another game this gen, but something tells me that based on predicted Origins sales, we wont be getting anything this good for a long ass time. At least Ancel tried...

I guess I should buy this game, then. Love Rayman, love New Super Mario Bros Wii, love DK Returns, love co-op platformers. This is going to be manna from heaven, isn't it? Anything important I should know going in?

Tizoc

I guess I should buy this game, then. Love Rayman, love New Super Mario Bros Wii, love DK Returns, love co-op platformers. This is going to be manna from heaven, isn't it? Anything important I should know going in?

Getting 100% in the game is much easier with co-op, but is still do-able (albiet irritating) if played by yourself.
Don't worry about getting everything in a world: beat the game first then go back and clean-up.
Oh and if you hold Up, your friend can jump on you to reach a high area or item.

Don't worry about getting everything in a world: beat the game first then go back and clean-up.

Will do - this is how me and my co-op platforming buddy always play, though we usually give up if it's too tedious/arduous (NSMB Wii, I'm looking at you with your Star Coins hidden down arbitrary bottomless pits).

You might want to tape your eyeballs (or otherwise secure them) into their sockets so they don't roll under the coffee table when you see how amazing everything looks. Oh, and Michel Ancel gets it.

Does this game retain that otherwordly, almost haunting atmosphere that the other Raymans have?

Also, on a scale of Un to Dix, how French is it? This is not a bad thing, I hasten to add.

Tizoc

Will do - this is how me and my co-op platforming buddy always play, though we usually give up if it's too tedious/arduous (NSMB Wii, I'm looking at you with your Star Coins hidden down arbitrary bottomless pits).

Relax the game has INFINITE lives allowing you to retry and get some stuff. Usually these items aren't that hard to get.

dc89

Played the demo. It's SO good.

The graphics are to die for and the platforming is surprisingly challenging. I died quite a few times to be honest.

The Hermit

So, since there's no PC version (why?) I guess I am stuck with the Wii version... besides the obvious HD diference is this version 60 or 30 FPS? Because that would be a deal breaker for me...

EDIT: its right on the OP. Gonna buy it yay! :D

wouwie

My copy should arrive sometime early next week. Pre-ordered from Amazon Uk so hopefully they will send it at the end of the week. It's going to be a long wait. Might re-download the demo and play that for another 20 times or so in the meantime.

For those who completed the game, how long would you estimate the first playthrough without collecting all the things?

Adam J.

If you're good at platformers you should come in around 8 hours to complete the main quest. I'd imagine you could easily put in 15 doing all the side stuff and unlocking the special level.

Is the Wii version, like, worse? 'Cos that's likely to be the one I get. Besides resolution, is it the same? Like, no missing levels or anything? And has anyone ripped it and ran it through Dolphin yet?

Jtrizzy

Looks awesome and plays very smooth. I died on that last water board in the demo where it sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks are singing. Is there any 3D support? Also, too bad no PC port. I bet I could run this in 1080p60 in 3D and it would blow minds.

Makes me wish I could play the various wii plat formers like DKCR and Mario without waggle.

Gaaraz

Reading the Metro review and it sounds great, I have to say.

It helps that the HD graphics are the best we've ever seen for a 2D game: pin sharp and with multiple layers of parallax that creates a vibrant cartoon world that shames all but the most lavish Disney productions. It's a technical feat that we fear may go underappreciated but what it really adds to the game is a personality that's not just charming and adorable but also distinctive.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Is the Wii version, like, worse? 'Cos that's likely to be the one I get. Besides resolution, is it the same? Like, no missing levels or anything? And has anyone ripped it and ran it through Dolphin yet?

I posted Dolphin screenshots earlier in this thread. (link) The short answer is the Wii version is a great port. It's the best it could be considering the hardware. It has all the same content that the 360/PS3 versions have.

sourpk

Neo Member
Completed the game 100%. All medals (both time and lum count) and Electoons. This is what happens

NOTHING. Well, almost. There's another character unlocked, but it's the same as the others. Nothing extra happens for getting all the medals. Perhaps I need to complete "The Livid Dead" level again, but I'm guessing nothing special happens.

Great game. Enjoyed the crap out of it. Should I upload the save file? (Wii version)

krYlon

Those of you who wanted a PSN version of this, good news, it is on the EU store this week!
For £47.99 lol

Wow at this game. 1080p of awesome 2d graphics and a magical inspired gameplay, stupendulus musics and oh my god look... fuck you Ezio Auditore.

Gagaman

DSCF7819.jpg

Arrived today! Already played through the first world and a bit of the second, every bit as brilliant as I was hoping.

For those who have played the demo how do you get the ninth Electoon? It's the one in the middle for the first level, it looks like a clock. I beat it fast but nothing happened. Do I have to do something else?

Nvm, 1:15 to get it. I wish there was a timer to tell how long you took...

Edit: You have to punch the clock. I feel dumb. :(

For those who have played the demo how do you get the ninth Electoon? It's the one in the middle for the first level, it looks like a clock. I beat it fast but nothing happened. Do I have to do something else?

Nvm, 1:15 to get it. I wish there was a timer to tell how long you took...

Play through the level again. Attack the clock bubble at the beginning to start the time attack.

TimmiT

DSCF7819.jpg

Arrived today! Already played through the first world and a bit of the second, every bit as brilliant as I was hoping.

Importing this from the UK because for some reason the CE isn't being sold here in the Netherlands. Sadly this also means I'll have to wait a week until I can play it. :(

Just finished
the bonus world. It was like 8 treasure chase type levels back to back with a final boss. Boss wasn't bad... It seems rough until you finally spot it's weak point

Watching credits for the second time. Timing it this time around. 13 min so far and if I recall I'm only a bit over halfway through them so far.

Man, I'm def going to 100% this game

Does anyone know if it erases your medal for the last level if you exit out of the credits?

I waited for about 13 fucking minutes and then I guess Rayman somehow died (got moved up to the top) and the damn credits started over again.

It will literally be a half hour before I can play again if I don't exit out, but there is no way I want to risk losing that medal. It was far too difficult to get.

This game's pretty good so far, just done world 2 which had some really good theming. But something about the way Rayman (or any of the characters) control is bugging me slightly, i'm thinking it's that aerial strikes feel like they break the flow a bit since you just sort of go all floaty flinging punches and then there's the occasional stickiness Rayman may have towards ledges.
That aside things are fine, i've done the first two treasure chases which were great fun, I imagine these can get quite dastardly as you progress further.

Lijik

Just got this game today and I've gotten up to a little into the second world. Its really amazing so far! I'm really digging the lush graphics and the level design is great so far.

Jintor

I just asked a PR dude at Ubisoft AU, he says they're not gonna be releasing the soundtrack seperately (well, it's probably more like 'no current plans'.) So looks like the Collectors Edition is what you should pick up for that.

Vercimber

If this has been posted elsewhere, my apologies-- I was just able to get this from gamestop.com (online) for $39.99 with free shipping. If someone's been waiting on the Amazon lightning deal tomorrow (in the US), you can go ahead and nab the game now for $20 off MSRP.

Top Bottom