• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

This game is amazing. I feel like it effortlessly accomplishes what New Super Mario Bros. or Donkey Kong Country Returns set out to do, but with a sort of organic ease that neither of them entirely captured despite their polish and pedigree. The level design and difficulty curve in Rayman Origins are beyond reproach, and the controls are silky smooth and responsive. And don't even get me started on the art direction. I think Yoshi's Island has finally been surpassed as the most visually pleasing 2D game of all time, which is high praise coming from a huge side scroller fan like me- especially considering that the character Rayman himself is such a terrible design. What I also love is that the game is not content to rest on its laurels. The scope and variety of everything screams ambition, as each level introduces some great new concept, mechanic, or visual flare. The music is completely charming as well (excepting perhaps a handful of recurring jingles that wear thin after a few worlds). The humming and nonsensical gibberish lyrics of the water level in the demo single-handedly convinced my GF to pre-order the game for her Wii.

Needless to say I am extremely impressed. In spite of some stiff competition I think it may actually be my game of the year. There's something so effortless and free about it that I just don't see in most titles. Shame that it seems to be criminally overlooked. I can't help but feel a bit of contempt for the crowd that believe experiences like this should be relegated to digital downloads or bargain bins. Everything about it is pure quality.

Jintor

This game just makes me feel happy. Just so joyful. Even crazy challenge levels, while a little aggravating, just peace me out like crazy.

Feep

Banned
I got this for Black Friday and played for a little bit.

I don't know if Rayman: Origins is the best game I've played this year (Portal 2 and Xenoblade say what's up), but it is undoubtedly the most charming. I was smiling at *everything*. And so beautiful.

JMizzlin

Just finished it, having rented it after Blockbuster lacked Skyrim. So glad I did, this game is just fantastic. Very fun, perfectly challenging without being too difficult, incredible soundtrack and beautiful visuals. The game is even better in co-op, so I'll be getting the gang around in the near future for a play through. I am seriously sad that it was released on the same day as the other 3 blockbusters because it is a seriously great title.

Going to be a definite purchase for me come pay day. The developers (particularly the individuals who worked on the soundtrack) deserve my money.

Buy this game and tell your friends to do the same.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's hard to choose just one, but I think this might might be my favorite track.

I want Rayman Origins 2. Hell, I would accept a Rabbids platformer with the same art style and gameplay as much as I hate saying that.

Morue

I bought it yesterday for 47 euros. Got to the third world and loving it so far. It's fun and charming although very tricky sometimes but never frustrating. Hope it stays like that till the end. I particularly enjoy the levels with the mosquito...

geebee

Banned
I just got twenty free dollars from my friends 90 year old grandpa because he thought I was one of his grand kids. Ahahahahahahahaha. The awkwardness. I guess I actually got this game for 10?
You just took advantage of a man probably suffering from Alzheimer's disease... and you're laughing about it? That's pretty fucked up.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's sad that Rayman Origins will get overlooked. It's not just one of the best games this year... it's one of the best games this gen.

It's funny that the more that I play Rayman Origins, the more that it reminds me of Super Mario Bros. 3 & Donkey Kong Country. Outside of it being a Rayman game & having some similarities in difficulty, art style, & items/collectibles, it doesn't remind me much of Rayman on the PS1.

goldenpp72

Really loving this game in co op, there are no achievements for getting the 350 lum badges, but is there any in game award? Anyone do that yet?

I'm about 3/4 done I think, doing it only in co op means I have to slow my pace for the partner though. This might be my favorite co op platformer ever, and a great great platformer in general. I don't like how the momentum can just stop with hitting an enemy or something sometimes, but overall it's great.. really wish it wouldn't bomb in retail :(

Needless to say I am extremely impressed. In spite of some stiff competition I think it may actually be my game of the year. There's something so effortless and free about it that I just don't see in most titles. Shame that it seems to be criminally overlooked. I can't help but feel a bit of contempt for the crowd that believe experiences like this should be relegated to digital downloads or bargain bins. Everything about it is pure quality.

I agree with this 100%, including some of my friends "wah wah I don't want to pay 50 bucks for a 2d arcade download game". I want to reach through the scream to slap them.

This game is so effortlessly good, so stupidly polished and well-crafted, in a way no other game does this year. Not Batman, not Zelda, not Uncharted, Gears, Bulletstorm, Outland, Hard Corps Uprising, Portal, none of 'em. And those were some great games. Rayman Origins is just on another level.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Are there many scrolling shooter levels like in the demo? I really hated them there. So boring.

There's usually one in every world. They get better, but they aren't as good as the platformering or even the swimming sections. Fun to get as many Lums as possible, though

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I didn't hate the shooter levels, but they were my least favorite part of the game. Like ViewtifulJC said, there is one per level, so you'll have to do several of them but they're not frequent enough to detract from the overall experience.

Tizoc

Really loving this game in co op, there are no achievements for getting the 350 lum badges, but is there any in game award? Anyone do that yet?
On PS3 and 360, there are trophies for getting all the badges, and all the time trophies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've been assuming that the 350 lum goal along with the speed medal are required for a "complete" badge.

Tizoc

I've been assuming that the 350 lum goal along with the speed medal are required for a "complete" badge.

By complete badge you mean the circle? I thought it was the 350 lum award since that also looked like a umm badge ^_^;

BTW anyone think there'll be DLC for the game? There's a long line inbetween worlds 2 and 3 and you could add fork in the middle to go up for an, I dunno Space/Paint world.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
By complete badge you mean the circle? I thought it was the 350 lum award since that also looked like a umm badge ^_^;

Not just the complete circle, but the speed run and 350 lum ribbons that are outside of the circle. I'm not sure which one is required since I haven't unlocked the silver trophy for 25 complete badges yet. But I'm working for 100% so I'm just trying to do everything for now.

BTW anyone think there'll be DLC for the game? There's a long line inbetween worlds 2 and 3 and you could add fork in the middle to go up for an, I dunno Space/Paint world.

I don't have high hopes for level DLC, but I could see them selling additional costumes.

This ever coming to Steam?

Probably not, just look at Ubi's recent comments about the PC platform

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I didn't hate the shooter levels, but they were my least favorite part of the game. Like ViewtifulJC said, there is one per level, so you'll have to do several of them but they're not frequent enough to detract from the overall experience.
That's a relief. I mean, I'm picking this up when I finish Zelda anyway, but yeah, the shooter levels came off as kind of filler-ish in the demo.

Thanks to ViewtifulJC for the answer as well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That's a relief. I mean, I'm picking this up when I finish Zelda anyway, but yeah, the shooter levels came off as kind of filler-ish in the demo.

They do feel like variety for the sake of variety, but they're easy so I didn't get too hung up on 'em.

I agree with this 100%, including some of my friends "wah wah I don't want to pay 50 bucks for a 2d arcade download game". I want to reach through the scream to slap them.

You know, after I played the demo, I thought this was the best game this year, but I too am hesitant to buy this for full price.

There is just seems to be more content, fully fleshed out worlds & something like technological wow factor that would make me buy Batman or Gears at full price & not this even though I want to play this game over them.

goldenpp72

You know, after I played the demo, I thought this was the best game this year, but I too am hesitant to buy this for full price.

There is just seems to be more content, fully fleshed out worlds & something like technological wow factor that would make me buy Batman or Gears at full price & not this even though I want to play this game over them.

There is plenty of content on the disc though, it's a meaty platformer with great co op, I hope it's not the budget of gears or batman though, for the sake of the series future.

Feep

Banned

Grabbed it for thirty over at Gamestop's Black Friday action. Felt like the right price to me.

Tizoc

I got the game for 60 dollars and it was worth every cent.
I mean I would've liked to get it for 50, but as I wrote above, it was worth it.

Grabbed it for thirty over at Gamestop's Black Friday action. Felt like the right price to me.
That's a great deal, but why exactly does $30 "feel" like the right price for this game? By all accounts it's charming, balanced, polished and full featured. The underwhelming response from "core" gamers is probably the most depressing I have seen since Sin and Punishment 2 miraculously released. It's kinda fucked up watching some of the best games of the generation being relegated to bargain basement impulse purchases. Of course, I don't think UbiSoft did themselves any favors releasing it when they did, amid a sea of juggernaut holiday titles...

On a completely different note, I can't be the only on who would kill to see Ubisoft Montpellier develop a Metroid title after playing this. Several of the enemies, backgrounds, level designs, and mechanics in this game scream Metroid to me. It's impossible for me to see lush 2D caverns covered in moss and vines, doors barred by creepy eyes, and mammoth insectoid bosses without wondering what if the traditional Metroid formula got this sort of loving current gen update. Even Rayman's move set and overall acrobatic prowess feel like they'd be a match made in heaven with Samus.

Played the demo yesterday. I had no idea that this game is out already. It blew me away. Great visuals, great gameplay, co-op....
Bought it today for full price. I knew it after seconds of playing that this is one of those rare games (like Donkey Kong Country)...

Shearie

They do feel like variety for the sake of variety, but they're easy so I didn't get too hung up on 'em.

Im actually pleasantly surprised by the shooter levels in this game since I'm a Shmup fan and they're usually very mediocre in past platform games with shooter levels I've played before but I think they're very well done and fun in this game.

Peff

Im actually pleasantly surprised by the shooter levels in this game since I'm a Shmup fan and they're usually very mediocre in past platform games with shooter levels I've played before but I think they're very well done and fun in this game.

I agree, they are polished and there's a decent amount of variety both visual (dat starry sky background) and mechanical to differentiate each of them. I also liked that they show a transition between each world and the following and that they didn't shoehorn a boss for all of them.

wouwie

Finally received the game today. Played through the first world and two levels from the 2nd world. Had a hard time putting down the controller but i want to cherish this game.

It's late in the year but if the game keeps being as good until the end, this will probably be my GOTY.

The game looks amazing, the soundtrack is great and the gameplay is fun. It's nice to see that the gameplay is kept fresh by introducing new gameplay mechanisms. It's super polished, fun and looks fantastic.

Mista Koo

Tried the 4P co-op (first 2 worlds) which ruined it for me. I can't play it in multiplayer and the game is just too crazy to play alone :(

I mean even the loading screen is fun in multiplayer!

Morue

I definitely love this game.
It's beautiful and incredibly fun, even when playing alone. The treasure chest chases are probably my favorite. I die countless times but can't help trying again and again till I get the little bastards.

I haven't finished it yet but I think it's gonna be my GOTY.

Feep

Banned
That's a great deal, but why exactly does $30 "feel" like the right price for this game? By all accounts it's charming, balanced, polished and full featured. The underwhelming response from "core" gamers is probably the most depressing I have seen since Sin and Punishment 2 miraculously released.
Because it was less than sixty dollars, and my wallet is bound tightly by the sheer volume of games this holiday season?

wouwie

But I'm enjoying every single cent I've spent, so full price is right for me.

Agreed, some of the best money i've spent this year. I just do not understand why this game seems generally qualified as "lower price" or "digital download". From the levels i've played, it's an AAA game all the way through.

In fact, sitting at work now, i can not wait to get back to the game. I hope it gets more difficult though. First and most of the second world was quite easy, even for an average gamer like me. It also helps that the game never feels frustrating. I don't mind at all about dying in this game. Also, i'm not collecting everything in my first playthrough.

My favourite so far is
Wind or Lose
. Loved that level. But all the rest were awesome too.

For those who have played it, what are your favourite worlds and which one do you think looks best? For me, having played most of the first 2 worlds, i'd say world 2 is my favourite so far.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This game is pure joy in a tube when played cooperatively. Any worries I had about spending the money on are now gone after finishing the first world. It's so, so much better than I expected following the demo. The shooter level was *actually* fun. I literally laughed out loud when I realised the mosquito rides Globox.

:) :) :)

Lima

Agreed, some of the best money i've spent this year. I just do not understand why this game seems generally qualified as "lower price" or "digital download".

Because this game was announced as a downloadable game? I guess that idea is still stuck in many people's heads.

Downhome

I just got my copy from Amazon that I bought on Thanksgiving night for $39.99 and it still came with the pre-order art book. Woohoo!

By the way, did any of you guys see Kal Penn on Fox & Friends recently? I forget when, but at some point between Thanksgiving and this weekend. He was on there talking about Rayman Origins in depth, and the hosts on Fox & Friends were pushing this game HARD, just a full blown promotion of it with video and everything. It was pretty awesome to see.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just bought this! Oh this is going to be amazing!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Just bought this! Oh this is going to be amazing!

Omg I just jumped into this thread ( secretly stalking you )

Anyways, is there a difference between the console versions? I.e high-res assets and stuff like that?

Sullichin

Very happy with the impressions in this thread. My copy from Amazon should be here today, got it for $40 on an impulse buy. Excited to play a new, good 2D platformer!

So there's no online co-op? Oh well. Game looks great. I haven't even played the demo.. really excited to go home and play this.

Yes Boss!

Game is beautiful. Lots of wholly shit moments just looking at the artwork. Man, I can't wait till Nintendo starts doing their franchise side-scrollers at this res.

Top Bottom