• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

Amir0x

Banned
I agree almost 100% about Super Meat Boy, except reloading warp zones (and I guess glitch levels too) got frusturating to me. I'm not sure why you can't instantly retry like every other level.

Warp levels are definitely the exception in Super Meat Boy. They are definitely made for super gamers above and beyond the capacity of much skill levels. You really have to try to beat them. But they're bonus levels so it's not really the same as prohibiting the mass of gamers who simply don't try by being ridiculously hard. It's hard, yes, but if you try you will win.

Man Rayman Origins is really good. What really surprised me is the delightful soundtrack. One of the years best, easily. fuck me I can listen to this shit for hours.

Neuromancer said:
Oh that one is a nightmare, I haven't been able to do it yet. Strangely enough the one after is much easier.

Yeah seriously I beat the one in the next world on my first try. I don't remember that end part being hard that Creamium mentions, though. I remember once I finally got there, I beat it first go. I died a bunch of times carelessly previously to that because of dumb swimming.

Peff

^That part is a small bug, it seems. Sometimes the screen will scroll too fast in the very last jump, killing Rayman despite the jump timing being correct. I think it helps if you reenter the level from the map.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
why mad at the game? This is me the whole time --> :D
How far in the game are you and are you trying to 100% the game (all golden stuff + time trials)?

Amir0x

Banned
^That part is a small bug, it seems. Sometimes the screen will scroll too fast in the very last jump, killing Rayman despite the jump timing being correct. I think it helps if you reenter the level from the map.

ha there have been a few times i ran too fast for the game and it killed me. damn game not compensating for my super skillz

Yoshichan said:
How far in the game are you and are you trying to 100% the game (all golden stuff + time trials)?

Trying to do everything. So far, no real stumbling blocks I can think of. One or two ice levels (i hate slippery levels) caused me issues, but I don't think anything else did yet. I'm pretty far into the game, I imagine, considering I'm 1/3 of the way through the
kings part

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Trying to do everything. So far, no real stumbling blocks I can think of. One or two ice levels (i hate slippery levels) caused me issues, but I don't think anything else did yet. I'm pretty far into the game, I imagine, considering I'm 1/3 of the way through the
kings part
Gotcha. Well, I found myself breaking a DS3-controller while playing the game two days ago :/ But that's mostly because I want to get everything without having to replay the stage all over again (not counting time-trials). Definitely need a break from this game after that last rage :lol

Peff

kings part

Teehee, make sure to post impressions of the last world+secret level :p

Amir0x

Banned
There was one part in, er, the fifth world i think where you have to chase the mountain nymph, and there's a skull coin that gets blocked by vines. I don't know why but I could never time that shit right to pound correctly off the pad and I kept fucking missing it. I retried a lot at that point, considering when I played the stage regularly I was almost always just a few short for the 350 needed for the medallion. Maybe there's an easier way minus that fucking skull coin, but I finally did it anyway.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's not Gamers fault that there's so many games coming out at the same time that some will be ignored, this should have been released earlier in the fall and it would have done much better.

This is true, between the pricing, the genre, the market of the HD platforms, and the time of release, it was pretty much a perfect storm of bombery, but it's still depressing that so many gamers (even here on GAF!) say it's only "worth" $10-15 because it's a 2D platformer, or ignore it all together cuz that shits for babbies or whatever. When I see a game like Origins flop while this year's regurgitations light up the chartz, I can't help but weep for the future of gaming. On the bright side, at least this game exists, it's better to have released and bombed than never released at all.

Gotcha. Well, I found myself breaking a DS3-controller while playing the game two days ago :/ But that's mostly because I want to get everything without having to replay the stage all over again (not counting time-trials). Definitely need a break from this game after that last rage :lol

Oh good, I wasn't the only man who suffered this shame due to this game. Kind of funny really considering the forgiving respawns/checkpoints and light hearted nature of the game itself.
WORLD4TREASURECHASEENDINGRAAAAAGE!
I took a break after that incident for a week. Fortunately there's not much I found as aggravating as that camera swiveling ship mast from treasure chase 4 but some late game stages can get pretty taxing at times with some hazards damn near requiring clairvoyance to avoid first time through.

Oh and as for that fifth world skull coin, if it's the one i'm thinking of upon replaying the stage I could only grab it using the wall run you get from the nymph in that very chase.

Troidal

Is the Vita version going to be the same as the PS3/360?

I picked up the 360 version but may want to just hold off opening it and play it on the handheld.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Could be, because it really felt abnormal. I did get it eventually though.

Started world 6 now. Looks like there's quite a bit of game left. A bit disappointed that they apparently just went for harder versions of worlds 1-5 looks-wise, but maybe their design will make up for it. With a game as beautiful as this though, I wouldn't have minded more world themes.

AniHawk

my playtime with this game is:

multiplayer runthrough of each level, singleplayer 100% of each other one afterwards. so far, i'm only through the first world and a little into the second, but i can tell that, barring something bioshock levels of terrible, this will probably be my favorite game of the year.

Could be, because it really felt abnormal. I did get it eventually though.

Started world 6 now. Looks like there's quite a bit of game left. A bit disappointed that they apparently just went for harder versions of worlds 1-5 looks-wise, but maybe their design will make up for it. With a game as beautiful as this though, I wouldn't have minded more world themes.
Keep playing, I think some of the levels will surprise you. Even the levels that reuse assets tend to add something unexpected here and there to spice things up. Even putting aside some of the cool little surprises, the levels are much more thoughtful "extra" content than the stuff we've been seeing from other platformers this gen.

Amir0x

Banned
my playtime with this game is:

multiplayer runthrough of each level, singleplayer 100% of each other one afterwards. so far, i'm only through the first world and a little into the second, but i can tell that, barring something bioshock levels of terrible, this will probably be my favorite game of the year.

this game actually has good swimming levels too. Which should be, like, an award in of itself!

Later levels are so amazing and and really test your skills

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, seriously. The underwater levels in this game are fantastic.

krYlon

This has been driving me absolutely crazy. I've been timing the jumps perfectly and yet I kept dying because the screen scrolls me out.

If it is a bug then it's even more irritating. I'll try it again though, re-entering as you suggested.

Just bought it for $40, but only because I had to, really.

If it was released as $40 I would have bought right away. I would have paid $60 if I could play online with friends. Local only severely limits this game IMO.

Zomba13

Got this cheap (£15 after using points on my card online from Gamestation). Loving it so far, finished the first world/area.

I think I have to cool my obsessive behaviour with the collectibles, at least for the first play-through. I'm only on the second world and i'm already pulling my hair out in frustration...gotta get all those Lums.

Lijik

I think I have to cool my obsessive behaviour with the collectibles, at least for the first play-through. I'm only on the second world and i'm already pulling my hair out in frustration...gotta get all those Lums.

Dont worry about it until you need electoons for the treasure stages, and then go back to replay the stages.
Thats how I did it and it felt pretty fine

test_account

XP-39C²
Do you mean 300 or 350 Lums? If it is 350, here is a spoiler about what happends regarding collecting all the Lums:
There is no need to collect more Lums than 300 for each stages (or 150 or 175 on some stages). Getting 350 Lums just unlocks that small ribbon on each stage, but doing all of those gives you no reward what so ever. I did them all, and i didnt see anything being unlocked or rewarded at least.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Do you mean 300 or 350 Lums? If it is 350, here is a spoiler about what happends regarding collecting all the Lums:
There is no need to collect more Lums than 300 for each stages (or 150 or 175 on some stages). Getting 350 Lums just unlocks that small ribbon on each stage, but doing all of those gives you no reward what so ever. I did them all, and i didnt see anything being unlocked or rewarded at least.

This is all true, but I feel compelled to clear everything for the level before I move on. It's hard to see a blank space where a ribbon should be.

I was hoping to get 100% by the end of the year, I have over 220 pink lums now but still have to do time trials and lum challenges in the last few levels. And
Land of the Livid Dead
, still haven't managed to get far in it. :(

sol_bad

I had 3 of my mates come around last night to play this. We spent about 3 or 4 hours on it and got up to the 4th world. I couldn't believe how much fun we got outo of this game. The majority of the time we were laughing our arses of because of all the stupid stuff ups we would keep doing, other times we would all concentrate on how to acquire certain secrets.

We also all agreed that the graphics were quite incredible and crisp, the music also was very catchy.

I would have to say that to me, it's the best looking game of the generation so far, hell it's one of the best games period this generation. It makes me really sad that Ubisoft released it at such a bad time and with no marketing.

test_account

XP-39C²
This is all true, but I feel compelled to clear everything for the level before I move on. It's hard to see a blank space where a ribbon should be.

I was hoping to get 100% by the end of the year, I have over 220 pink lums now but still have to do time trials and lum challenges in the last few levels. And
Land of the Livid Dead
, still haven't managed to get far in it. :(
Sure, it is nice to know that you've completed the game 100% regardless for personal satisfaction/accomplishment, at least i think so :)

wouwie

To my surprise, i managed to collect 239 out of 246 lums and i unlocked the secret world after collecting the 10 teeth. However, i'm not advancing anymore. The few remaining lums are mainly located in the last world but i have a hard time collecting those. Also, the secret world seems a bit too difficult for me :) So i might stop here.

Lovely game though. Awesome fun, looks great and has fab music. One of the best games i've played this year.

Zomba13

So just finished the second world. Really liked it. The musical instrument levels were my favourite from the original Rayman so I was happy to see a musical world :D

Got this game Friday (mainly to support Ancel and Heral after reading the abysmal sales figures). I was sure until now that Saints Row The Third would be my GOTY, but after this experience I'm not that confident anymore....

Smirk on my face the whole way through. A perfect combination of Super Mario/Rareware style collecting and Mario/Meat Boy timing speed levels. The high-res art is incredible and 60 fps makes all the difference.

I also played Mario 3DLand this year. Not sure how it happened, but I'm preferring a Rayman game over a Mario game this year. Bananas. Mainly due to the tight as nails controls and instant retries, leaving little to no frustration. Even in Land of the Livid Dead (finished that just now, amazing experience). I ain't even mad when I die. Take that Meat Boy! :D

The "I ain't even mad" attitude is also probably due to the amazing OST by Heral. I was humming that shit along all the time while playing. One of my friends came in yesterday, saw me playing and smirking, while hearing the Lum-underwater music. He shouts at me: "WTF Steve, are you trophy-whoring another one of those Baby-Games!?" Then he walks up to the screen and sees what's going on. "Holy SHIT Rayman's back? Is there co-op?" I already had the 2nd controller next to me and pressed start. Globox appeared. My friend ate that shit right up, and we were playing co-op for two hours (we were actually going to Spec-Ops on MW3, but that never happened :3 )

Of course there are some minor negatives. I didn't really care for collecting all Electoons/Lums, but I will collect everything to Platinum the game. There were a lot of Mosquito-sequences, and while they were not bad at all some variety in mounts or perspective would be nice.

This game gave me such a nostalgia trip to the NES/SNES platforming days unlike any other game this year. If you even like platforming/2D gamesa bit this is a MUST BUY, be it for Wii or PS3/360. If you have a choice buy the PS3/360 version for all that visual splendor.

Now excuse me, I need to deliberate again what my personal GOTY will be.

Rev3rb

Beautiful Art, amazing soundtrack, and fun as hell co-op gameplay. Sad to see the sales aren't better, it truly deserves better.
On a side note, it would be cool to see a Sonic game done with this hand-drawn art style

Beautiful Art, amazing soundtrack, and fun as hell co-op gameplay. Sad to see the sales aren't better, it truly deserves better.
On a side note, it would be cool to see a Sonic game done with this hand-drawn art style
I say just about every 2D sidescroller should be hand drawn. They did right by Sonic Generations but more often than not polygons are simply used to "cheat" from having to hand draw every frame, which is very time consuming.

Top Bottom