• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

decon

Amazing game. Everything is pretty much just awesome. Amazing graphics that even makes you laugh? Check! Co-op that makes the game even more enjoyable? Check! Sound and music is pretty much a one of a kind this gen (I can only think of locoroco that makes me smile as much as rayman origins does).

Also this game is actually hard in certain areas, which makes for great replay value. Me and a friend have decided to complete the game 100%, no doubt that it will happen. It's great that they put in more stuff than just Electoons to collect. The medals and trophies are so darn hard to get (chest chase in the iceland anyone?).

This game needs to sale more. How can such creativity in gaming just be a niche? It's a game for everyone. Since Friday, it's been my top priority to sale as many Rayman: Origins games as possible at work :)
Nordic Gamestop, not as bad as the US

I wonder if the tech behind this game will become adopted for 2d fighters?
Sure looks to be a lot quicker than how they did stuff for King of Fighters at least.

Got a copy for PS3 yesterday, and proceeded to spend almost 2 hours playing through it with my brother who thought that he probably wouldn't really get into it. I was happy that he was wrong about that.

We played on my moms new 32 inch LCD and it looked pretty good, but man, when I brought it home and played it through 1080P on my T.V., which is also bigger, it looked so awesome. Can't wait to play more.

Brashnir

This is true, between the pricing, the genre, the market of the HD platforms, and the time of release, it was pretty much a perfect storm of bombery, but it's still depressing that so many gamers (even here on GAF!) say it's only "worth" $10-15 because it's a 2D platformer, or ignore it all together cuz that shits for babbies or whatever. When I see a game like Origins flop while this year's regurgitations light up the chartz, I can't help but weep for the future of gaming. On the bright side, at least this game exists, it's better to have released and bombed than never released at all.

Well, for me it's only worth $10-15 dollars, but not because it's a 2D platformer. I paid full price for NSMBW and DKCR a couple years ago.

The reason it's only worth $10-15 to me is that I know it will be available for that price in a couple months anyway, and with all the other great games that have come out recently, I have plenty of backlog to hold me over that long.

NIN90

Holy cow this game is amazing. Much better than the middling Mario games in the past few years.

Just. One. More. Level.

protonion

17,99 at Amazon UK. I just ordered it along with Sonic (same price).

I kind of feel bad because I'm sure I'll like them way more than most (if not all) the games I paid full price the last 2 months.

NinjaBoiX

Hmm, tough call here.
PS3 version or Wii version and Dolphinize it.
Decisions decisions.
Either way it's being played on my TV.
I don't really understand the dilemma here; play it in full 1080p60 with the best possible sound quality, or play an upscaled Wii game with mediocre stereo and loads of artifacts? What would you gain by choosing to play it on Dolphin?

sol_bad

Well, for me it's only worth $10-15 dollars, but not because it's a 2D platformer. I paid full price for NSMBW and DKCR a couple years ago.

The reason it's only worth $10-15 to me is that I know it will be available for that price in a couple months anyway, and with all the other great games that have come out recently, I have plenty of backlog to hold me over that long.

This attitude annoys me, the reason it annoys me is because all these other "me too" cooky cutter seqelitis great games that you chose to get would also eventually hit a much cheaper price.
I don't understand why people would choose games that stagnate the industry over games that offer more creative freedom. Now that many people have waited until Rayman Origins hits rock bottom prices we won't see and publishers taking such a drastic risk and we'll be stuck with Modern Warfare 12, Battlefield 3399 and Assassin's Creed 4 1/2.

Brashnir

This attitude annoys me, the reason it annoys me is because all these other "me too" cooky cutter seqelitis great games that you chose to get would also eventually hit a much cheaper price.
I don't understand why people would choose games that stagnate the industry over games that offer more creative freedom. Now that many people have waited until Rayman Origins hits rock bottom prices we won't see and publishers taking such a drastic risk and we'll be stuck with Modern Warfare 12, Battlefield 3399 and Assassin's Creed 4 1/2.

To be fair, I haven't bought many other new games this fall either, but I'm more likely to buy a game that's unlikely to fall in price than one that is very likely to drop like a rock.

If publishers don't want people to wait for prices to crater, they should price games such that price-cratering isn't an expected outcome 3 months down the line. The industry is set up to work this way - don't blame the customers for getting the best deals for themselves.

Audioboxer

Just got my copy in today. Going to be playing co-op with my fiancee from start to finish. What am I in for? A great time?

We loved LBP1/2 in co-op. Bought this off sheer recommendation, and cheap pricing (£17.99). Didn't follow it prior to release, or even after (not really read any reviews).

soldat7

Can anyone confirm the lack of Dolby Digital on the PS3 version? Can anyone confirm the presence of Dolby Digital on the 360 version?

This seems like a very big deal.

Zomba13

I just got to the 6th world (not counting the tree) I take it there are around 10 worlds?
Really liking it a lot so far. Bit annoying speed running the levels and just missing out on the trophy (but that is no fault of the game). Such a great looking and sounding game. So much character in the animations. Still narrowing down my GOTY list but this is on the 'short' list.

Lijik

To be fair, Ubisoft games tend to go down in price like a rocket in reverse. Rabbids Go Home was like 12 bucks in the span of two months IIRC.
If you're lookin to save money, waiting for a Ubisoft game to go down is the safest bet.

picked up a new copy on my break using my GS Power Up Rewards coupons Ive earned over the past two years. it ended up costing me 25 bucks. 25 bucks to pull my hair out in OCD collectathon frustration while simulatneously drooling over the animation, colors and 60 fps. This is gonna be good.

How is the overall challenge compared to DKCR? That was the last 2D platformer I played.

Just platinumed it. Couple of tight time attacks but pretty doable if you learn the levels. Never unfair. Game was amazing. Don't regret it as my GotY choice.

On a side note. Phil Kollar just tweeted about a video going online today on the Game Informer website. He tweeted: "Fuck you, Treasure Chest!" I told him it had to be Rayman Origins and he replied with a ";)" to me. Should be fun to see with stage he picks and how many times he dies (prob at least 20).

Lima

Started playing this today.

its-beautifulg36tu.jpg

That is all.

lunchtoast

Ok, so have to do will call tomorrow, so to pass the time I pulled out the first Rayman. I remember it being pretty hard when I was younger. It's still tough, in fact I don't think I got this far when I used to play it, and it's still in the music world! Is origins a tough game?

Man, he's such a little bitch in this one.

SoulClap

Can anyone confirm the lack of Dolby Digital on the PS3 version? Can anyone confirm the presence of Dolby Digital on the 360 version?

This seems like a very big deal.

I can confirm there is indeed no surround sound in the PS3 version. A bunch of people have mentioned that the 360 version does support Dolby Digital. Ubisoft doesn't seem to give a fuck.

NinjaBoiX

I can confirm there is indeed no surround sound in the PS3 version. A bunch of people have mentioned that the 360 version does support Dolby Digital. Ubisoft doesn't seem to give a fuck.
That really sucks, especially as PS3 usually gets superior audio support in multiplats. Luckily it isn't really a game that would benefit too greatly from surround sound, being 2D it isn't as if you'll be missing sounds coming from behind you or anything. I just bought it on blu-ray rather than DVD, I don't really regret it. My pals are PS3 only gamers, so couch co-op won out in the decision!

Lima

Doesn't matter. The 360 version outputs a DD5.1 signal but only uses the left and right channels. So it is stereo only.

sephi22

I just bought the PS3 copy yesterday. Just thought I'd let you guys know. Also got it cheap from a major retailer. Got it for AED 169 ($46) instead of the usual big retail price of AED 269 ($73), which means that's its bombing even in Dubai.

But man, this game looks fucking unreal. This is the best looking game I've played this year. Uncharted 3 is nothing.

Himself

I've had so much fun playing this with my girlfriend that I'm kinda hesitant to go back to playing single player...just flying by myself on one of those mosquitos might be kinda lonely...

The only flaw I can think of in this game is no online co-op. Other than that...damn, what a classic.

decon

Got this game Friday (mainly to support Ancel and Heral after reading the abysmal sales figures). I was sure until now that Saints Row The Third would be my GOTY, but after this experience I'm not that confident anymore....

Smirk on my face the whole way through. A perfect combination of Super Mario/Rareware style collecting and Mario/Meat Boy timing speed levels. The high-res art is incredible and 60 fps makes all the difference.

I also played Mario 3DLand this year. Not sure how it happened, but I'm preferring a Rayman game over a Mario game this year. Bananas. Mainly due to the tight as nails controls and instant retries, leaving little to no frustration. Even in Land of the Livid Dead (finished that just now, amazing experience). I ain't even mad when I die. Take that Meat Boy! :D

The "I ain't even mad" attitude is also probably due to the amazing OST by Heral. I was humming that shit along all the time while playing. One of my friends came in yesterday, saw me playing and smirking, while hearing the Lum-underwater music. He shouts at me: "WTF Steve, are you trophy-whoring another one of those Baby-Games!?" Then he walks up to the screen and sees what's going on. "Holy SHIT Rayman's back? Is there co-op?" I already had the 2nd controller next to me and pressed start. Globox appeared. My friend ate that shit right up, and we were playing co-op for two hours (we were actually going to Spec-Ops on MW3, but that never happened :3 )

Of course there are some minor negatives. I didn't really care for collecting all Electoons/Lums, but I will collect everything to Platinum the game. There were a lot of Mosquito-sequences, and while they were not bad at all some variety in mounts or perspective would be nice.

This game gave me such a nostalgia trip to the NES/SNES platforming days unlike any other game this year. If you even like platforming/2D gamesa bit this is a MUST BUY, be it for Wii or PS3/360. If you have a choice buy the PS3/360 version for all that visual splendor.

Now excuse me, I need to deliberate again what my personal GOTY will be.
I actually have had the exact same experience. Granted, the last Mario that I've played from start to finish is Super Mario 64, but I still regard that game as the best platformer to date. I got Super Mario 3D Land after I had finished "the main story" in Rayman Origins, and I'm also finding myself (with or without friends) to have a better experience with Rayman Origins than 3D Land. I constantly feel that Mario is too limited in his moveset compared to Rayman and the ol' Globox.

Just found all the hidden cages (80 points!), and only need 6 Electoones.

Is it worth it to get all the trophies, medals (the 350 lums medal, not the "full circle medals") and electoons? I know about the last Globox skin and achivements, but is there anything noteworthy to get in the game?

Is it worth it to get all the trophies, medals (the 350 lums medal, not the "full circle medals") and electoons? I know about the last Globox skin and achivements, but is there anything noteworthy to get in the game?

I got the platinum and no, not if you expect something extra out of it. finaL Globox skin is the last thing you can unlock with the Electoons. 350 Lums medals don't get you anything extra BESIDES FUNKY DISCO SEQUENCE.

IMO the Land of the Livid Dead is the "end unlockable" of the game.

Got it for $29.99 today at EB, really amazing game, it probably would have done better at a price point like this.

I don't really believe that is true, and I don't thnk publishers do either.

They might as well price it at $60, and get all the early buyers at that price. Then they can easily discount it down to $30-40 soon after, to capture more sales at that price point. If they started at $40 think about how many more sales they would need to make up for the people who would have paid $60 day one.

decon

I got the platinum and no, not if you expect something extra out of it. finaL Globox skin is the last thing you can unlock with the Electoons. 350 Lums medals don't get you anything extra BESIDES FUNKY DISCO SEQUENCE.

IMO the Land of the Livid Dead is the "end unlockable" of the game.
I finished that part of the game before completing the final stage hehe :D

Model 500

How are the controls mapped to the Wiimote? Are they configurable?

Are there any gameplay differences between the three platforms?

I think I'll have to go for the Wii version, I'm getting it strictly for the multiplayer experience, but have only one PS3 controller. The extra visuals are tempting, but the cost of another controller is definitely too much and my friend does not have access to a PS3 controller.

Btw. Are there any official wired PS3 controllers? The damn thing has lost its juice almost completely.

The game is really astounding and such a dream to look at. Ive only made it to the first level of the third world, but so far Ive collected all the medallions and rescued all electoons. The fluidity of Raymans movement coupled with the level design makes me cringe at the thought of the game being under 60fps. Amir0x was totally correct in stataing the game really is a skill builder. There's been some minor frustrations during speed runs, but successes really all fall into the players' hands. If you mess up, its because YOU didn't jump in time etc.

Its by far the prettiest game Ive seen this gen. I really have to stop during each level just to breathe and take in all the colors. Oh, and all of the characters remind me of characters in The Brave Little Toaster. No relevance whatsoever I know, but they just do.

Top Bottom