• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

test_account

XP-39C²
Doesn't help, since the character doesn't catch enough speed before having to jump. I figured it out either way (you had to do a running attack to get a boost).
Cool that you made it :) It is possible to make that level without using attack boost by the way. Sometimes you have to press the jump button again at the same split second that you land, this way you dont lose momentum. But there is not exactly any right or wrong ways about it, as long as you make, then you make it regardless =)

The entire story aspect got scrapped probably for getting in the way of the gameplay.

Which is entirely cool since the game is GREAT regardless, but being fond with the world R2 set up and irked by Rayman 3's constant 4th-wall breaking atmosphere (among other things) I was looking forward to Ancel continuing (or I guess building up to considering it's a prequel) what Rayman 2 started.

But hey at least the artbook gives insight on why Globox is blue. BET YOU NON-COLLECTORS EDITION OWNING BASTARDS WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT EXCITING MYSTERY, HUH?

I suggest you to play LBP / LBP2 or NSMBWii with 3 friends.
I have and while Mario was damn good it doesn't quite match up due to the lives system potentially cutting other players out of the level.
LBP doesn't even come close.

But hey at least the artbook gives insight on why Globox is blue. BET YOU NON-COLLECTORS EDITION OWNING BASTARDS WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT EXCITING MYSTERY, HUH?
Yes...yes I would like to know.

I just beat
land of the livid dead
, it's like a level that encapsulates what I love and dislike about the game, it's also pretty damn awesome regardless.
The music was some of the very best in the game.
The hit boxes are pretty off though, fortunately in a way that has you not dying from what looks like being hit.

apana

Has anyone played both Wii and HD versions? Does the Wii version basically hold up? The only difference I've heard of so far is resolution, 480p vs 1080p.

test_account

XP-39C²
Today i completed the last levels where i needed maximum Lums, so now i have completed everything 100% :D Regarding completing all levels with maximum Lums,
is there really nothing that gets unlocked or happens? I finished the last level again to see if the credit screen had anything extra, but it didnt. I knew that it wasnt a trophy since i got the Platinum trophy 2 days ago, but i find it a bit dissapointing that it doesnt unlock anything from what i noticed. Oh well, at least i know to myself that i completed the game 100% :)

Tizoc

Which is entirely cool since the game is GREAT regardless, but being fond with the world R2 set up and irked by Rayman 3's constant 4th-wall breaking atmosphere (among other things) I was looking forward to Ancel continuing (or I guess building up to considering it's a prequel) what Rayman 2 started.

...but the shop I got the game from didn't have nor could get the edition with artbook T^T.

I've reached the point where my wife just can't really keep up anymore (at the part where 4 new worlds pop up). Although I like the difficulty for the most part, it means we're not going to be able to play anymore without her getting really frustrated. I guess we could go back and mop up medallions on the easier levels, but it's kind of a bummer, especially because she likes the game so much.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Today i completed the last levels where i needed maximum Lums, so now i have completed everything 100% :D Regarding completing all levels with maximum Lums,
is there really nothing that gets unlocked or happens? I finished the last level again to see if the credit screen had anything extra, but it didnt. I knew that it wasnt a trophy since i got the Platinum trophy 2 days ago, but i find it a bit dissapointing that it doesnt unlock anything from what i noticed. Oh well, at least i know to myself that i completed the game 100% :)

It shure will be highlighted in a way, on which levels you have achieved this? Not too suprising that you don't get a reward, imo.

Sinthetic

I've reached the point where my wife just can't really keep up anymore (at the part where 4 new worlds pop up). Although I like the difficulty for the most part, it means we're not going to be able to play anymore without her getting really frustrated. I guess we could go back and mop up medallions on the easier levels, but it's kind of a bummer, especially because she likes the game so much.

Reminds me so much of Donkey Kong Country: Returns. My girlfriend and I were enjoying the co-op and then it got SUPER hard and I had to go it alone. Sad times.

I just got this game for review and I've been playing the first world on local co-op with my girl. The good impressions from the demo are amplified, awesome awesome game for now.

Amir0x

Banned
Rayman Origins doesn't make me want to kill myself or question how any of this is fun to anybody. Just a frustrating, stupid, ugly pile of shit.

Stop sucking at games and it won't be frustrating. My advice. All joking aside, it's easily the most rewarding platforming experience all gen and if it was that frustrating for you it IS player error. The game never once entered frustrating territory for me: it was always my fault for dying, never the game's, and my increasing skill level helped me eventually overcome all obstacles. That's the best type of game: one that makes you a better gamer.

I assume

Galaxy
Galaxy 2
Super Meat Boy (I did not care for this one though)
Rayman

Damn you know me fucking well.

Stop sucking at games and it won't be frustrating. My advice. All joking aside, it's easily the most rewarding platforming experience all gen and if it was that frustrating for you it IS player error. The game never once entered frustrating territory for me: it was always my fault for dying, never the game's, and my increasing skill level helped me eventually overcome all obstacles. That's the best type of game: one that makes you a better gamer.
Ninja Gaden and Ninja Gaiden 2 on the Xboxes were like this for me. The games were never cheap. I came into it expecting hell, so I never got upset when I died constantly.

Now the Ninja Gaiden games on NES with those damn birds that only appear over a jump were rage inducing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
man i would take a whole Rayman game like these treasure box chase segments :(

If an entire game was like that, it might actually par with Super Meat Boy. As it stands, easily the fourth best platformer this generation. What an amazing return for Rayman.

The first three are Super Meat Boy, Galaxy 2 and...?

EDIT: Ah, Galaxy 1.

Damn, I'm incredibly torn between grabbing this for myself and playing it now and waiting to get it for my sister for christmas.

mblitek

I absolutely LOVE this game! The art style is phenomenal. So many good things :) I've never had the chance to play a Rayman game before and I love it.

koene

Why didn't anyone tell me how much fun this game is! Surprise of the year for me! Loved the music/vibe of the
underwater
levels. I'm falling in love again with 2D platformers.

Atolm

I'm still waiting for my collector's edition, it shipped from Zavvi this Tuesday, should be here next week. Thank god collector's hasn't go down in price yet. I'm willing to pay full price for 2D goodness gladly, but a huge price drop makes you feel very stupid when you're still waiting for your delivery. And the game came out just 2 weeks ago in Europe...

So yes, this has been a huge bomba like everyone with a brain guessed. This will be Ancel's swan song, I'm afraid. Forget about BG&E2. But what a swan song.

Well I played full price, therefore i'm feeling like some noble hero (and also thinking I could have waited a few weeks).
But maybe the games lower price will initiate a surge of buys from people on the fence and the sales will be better than expected.

pakkit

Banned
I finally broke away from Skyrim long enough to buy Rayman Origins. And, to echo a lot of the feedback here, it's incredible. The visuals are the best of the year for me. I really hope next generation takes care to make native 1080p resolutions on consoles a requirement. It makes a huge difference. I read reviews that the platforming didn't try to innovate or make any risks, but I've found that to be maddeningly false so far. The game steadily introduces new gaming elements and expands your moveset so you really feel fluid moving around the levels. Finally, it's one of the few 360 games that my 13 year old sister wants, and can, play alongside me. Like Splosion Man or NSMBWii, co-op is a blast, and makes the campaign more fun.

My only complaint so far would be how the levels end with the enemy challenges, which are generally the least challenging part of the level (although they do give you ample room to use your surprisingly developed combat skills).

zoukka

Gamers fault lulz.

Amir0x

Banned
Gamers fault lulz.

I'm sure like the rest of your typical characteristically bizarre commentary you think you have a point (but, as usual, never really do), but that is in reality the general distinction between a good difficulty and a bad difficulty.

When you know it is the gamer's fault for dying - i.e., your skill level is not up to par to meet the challenges you are facing - then unless you're a whining bitch, the result is not "throw the controller down" but "I must get better and improve my skills."

When it's the game's fault for dying - i.e., things that are virtually impossible to avoid on the first playthrough without dumb luck, lots of 'memorization' rather than skill modifiers - then it gets frustrating because it becomes about a pure reflexive performing of A-B-C rather than an adaptation of your acquired skills to the perils in front of you.

zoukka

I'm sure like the rest of your typical characteristically bizarre commentary you think you have a point (but, as usual, never really do), but that is in reality the general distinction between a good difficulty and a bad difficulty.

When you know it is the gamer's fault for dying - i.e., your skill level is not up to par to meet the challenges you are facing - then unless you're a whining bitch, the result is not "throw the controller down" but "I must get better and improve my skills."

When it's the game's fault for dying - i.e., things that are virtually impossible to avoid on the first playthrough without dumb luck, lots of 'memorization' rather than skill modifiers - then it gets frustrating because it becomes about a pure reflexive performing of A-B-C rather than an adaptation of your acquired skills to the perils in front of you.

Amidst all this probably lies a point, but games (even platformers that "make you a better gamer") have other aspects to them than difficulty curve. Like visuals for example, that have nothing to do with a player "sucking" if he decides to stop playing.

Amir0x

Banned
zoukka said:
but games (even platformers that "make you a better gamer") have other aspects to them than difficulty curve. Like visuals for example, that have nothing to do with a player "sucking" if he decides to stop playing.

Another non-point from zoukka. I won't speak for ViewtifulJC except to say that with almost all his comments on SMB, the frustrating difficulty has always been the complaint he has issued most... only he would say that difficulty was 'unfair.' I would say he needs to stop sucking, because it is only the lack of skill on the player's end that is inhibiting progress. It's a little playful ribbing to highlight the distinction between bad difficulty and good difficulty, because there IS a difference.

So keep up with the debate and who we're talking about here. If you want to insert your own self in the crossfire for why you don't like SMB, that's fine, but it's ViewtifulJC's complaints I was responding to and it is those primary issues we're analyzing. SMB is a fantastic looking product... but let's say you disagree and think it's ugly. If it was anything other than the difficulty that was truly splitting the two sides of this debate I'd genuinely be amazed. I've not once had a debate with any person who didn't like SMB who focused on anything but what they believe is 'unfair' difficulty. And it usually just lies on how shitty they are at overcoming the game's challenges.

zoukka

Another non-point from zoukka. I won't speak for ViewtifulJC except to say that with almost all his comments on SMB, the frustrating difficulty has always been the complaint he has issued most... only he would say that difficulty was 'unfair.' I would say he needs to stop sucking, because it is only the lack of skill on the player's end that is inhibiting progress. It's a little playful ribbing to highlight the distinction between bad difficulty and good difficulty, because there IS a difference.

Indeed there is, in fact you might say that the Mario series has quite the perfect difficulty when even the most casual of players can learn during it and complete the game. I can't say the same about Meat Boy. Maybe the initial learning curve is too steep combined to the fact that the rewards given to players, once they complete a level is not satisfying enough. Another POINT to discuss actually. Something is inhibiting players from advancing and if the difficulty in fact is "good" like you say, then the fault lies some place else.

It might be that the player has short nerves or it might be that the game is lacking in some aspects.

So keep up with the debate and who we're talking about here. If you want to insert your own self in the crossfire for why you don't like SMB, that's fine, but it's ViewtifulJC's complaints I was responding to and it is those primary issues we're analyzing. SMB is a fantastic looking product... but let's say you disagree and think it's ugly. If it was anything other than the difficulty that was truly splitting the two sides of this debate I'd genuinely be amazed. I've not once had a debate with any person who didn't like SMB who focused on anything but what they believe is 'unfair' difficulty. And it usually just lies on how shitty they are at overcoming the game's challenges.

Well this stuck into my eye before.

Rayman Origins doesn't make me want to kill myself or question how any of this is fun to anybody. Just a frustrating, stupid, ugly pile of shit.

Also I liked SMB and the intense speed you could move around. Can't say I finished it, but then again I don't "complete" many games nowadays that I work and study and all that jazz.

I guess it's just your super elitistic and condescending attidude and use of language that irks me.

Amir0x

Banned
Indeed there is, in fact you might say that the Mario series has quite the perfect difficulty when even the most casual of players can learn during it and complete the game. I can't say the same about Meat Boy. Maybe the initial learning curve is too steep combined to the fact that the rewards given to players, once they complete a level is not satisfying enough. Another POINT to discuss actually. Something is inhibiting players from advancing and if the difficulty in fact is "good" like you say, then the fault lies some place else.

It might be that the player has short nerves or it might be that the game is lacking in some aspects.

The problem is the idea that every player must get to the end. That is NOT good skill curve. The idea that everyone must be able to finish something is a recent, horrifying trend in game development (and it's also a terrible trend in the American education system and with much parenting. Your child ISN'T exceptional if it gets third place in a spelling bee. You AREN'T great if you get a B. Stop treating these as accomplishments and start demanding more). Some people are better at things than others. In SMB, provided you keep at it and aren't, like, handicapped in some ways, the end result will be you can beat it. You just need to keep trying. The fact that you have to try a LOT more at it than you're used to is just an example of the systemic problem plaguing game development today: you're not used to it because developers like Nintendo love to treat you like a simpering retard.

THEY are the ones being condescending. I am telling you that you have the capability to do better and be more, and they are telling you that they already assume the worst.

Also I liked SMB and the intense speed you could move around. Can't say I finished it, but then again I don't "complete" many games nowadays that I work and study and all that jazz.

I guess it's just your super elitistic and condescending attidude and use of language that irks me.

If you don't like my attitude, don't respond. It's that simple - you won't hurt my feelings. But as always, it is the poster responding who brings the baggage with them. I am neither being condescending or elitist when I make the simple point that if you really do need to stop sucking at SMB to enjoy it. And that it is the gamer's fault if that fails to be the case: SMB has immensely satisfying and perfectly tuned challenges whose only barrier to completion is the skill level of the gamer in question. In almost all SMB levels, you can immediately see your way to the end and analyze the pitfalls and obstacles from the second the level starts. It is only your execution of your acquired skills that is preventing a pass. If this is 'elitist' to you, that's your problem, not mine.

zoukka

The problem is the idea that every player must get to the end. That is NOT good skill curve. The idea that everyone must be able to finish something is a recent, horrifying trend in game development (and it's also a terrible trend in the American education system and with much parenting. Your child ISN'T exceptional if it gets third place in a spelling bee. You AREN'T great if you get a B. Stop treating these as accomplishments and start demanding more). Some people are better at things than others. In SMB, provided you keep at it and aren't, like, handicapped in some ways, the end result will be you can beat it. You just need to keep trying. The fact that you have to try a LOT more at it than you're used to is just an example of the systemic problem plaguing game development today: you're not used to it because developers like Nintendo love to treat you like a simpering retard.

But the sheer number of new people who haven't played all those super hard (and often very unfair) games of the 80's is so big, that you just cannot ignore that. Also there is nothing inherently wrong about trying to design a game, that anyone can finish. If however this somehow makes the game worse to more seasoned gamers, then it's a different matter. The numerous helping aspects of SMG series are a good example (even more so when you seem to like them) of stuff that doesn't bother me, but helps my girlfriend for example.

How would SMB be a worse game if it had some ways that would help players to finish a level more easily, but it would mean that they couldn't gain best times because of this?

I am neither being condescending or elitist when I make the simple point that if you really do need to stop sucking at SMB to enjoy it.

Maybe. But calling people "shitty/whining bitches/retards" when in most cases it means "not have as much free time, obsession for games or some urge to complete the game as Amirox, doesn't strike me as good reasoning. I will skip your allegations towards me, because like you said about yourself, I don't let internet douchery bother me either.

Amir0x

Banned
But the sheer number of new people who haven't played all those super hard (and often very unfair) games of the 80's is so big, that you just cannot ignore that. Also there is nothing inherently wrong about trying to design a game, that anyone can finish. If however this somehow makes the game worse to more seasoned gamers, then it's a different matter. The numerous helping aspects of SMG series are a good example (even more so when you seem to like them) of stuff that doesn't bother me, but helps my girlfriend for example.

How would SMB be a worse game if it had some ways that would help players to finish a level more easily, but it would mean that they couldn't gain best times because of this?

Because there needs to be no fucking safety net. That lulls people into a sense of security that is unnecessary. These people have the capacity to get better. It is this near endless desire to coddle them and act like they're retards that makes them unable to face the more difficult challenges in the end.

I know ViewtifulJC is going to object to my classification here, and he'll say how he can beat tons of difficult games (like Viewtiful Joe!), but the reality is that SMB has a perfect difficulty curve. Its difficulty curve is built for skilled gamers. And the only way you can beat it is if you become a skilled gamer. That is intention and it IS an infinitely better game for it. And the game does have built-in difficulty curve to accommodate the acquiring of such skills. The entire first world is easy enough for anyone to practice and become talented enough for the rest of the game.

Maybe. But calling people "shitty/whining bitches/retards" when in most cases it means "not have as much free time, obsession for games or some urge to complete the game as Amirox, doesn't strike me as good reasoning. I will skip your allegations towards me, because like you said about yourself, I don't let internet douchery bother me either.

Beating SMB doesn't take much time at all. Getting the best times and beating all the bonuses levels takes longer. Which is how it should be. Again, this is saying more about you than me. I'm not telling these people to spend X amount of time getting better, I'm telling them to stop blaming the game for their lack of effort or lack of skills. It's their fault they aren't a better gamer. They have no one to blame but themselves.

zoukka

Because there needs to be no fucking safety net. That lulls people into a sense of security that is unnecessary. These people have the capacity to get better. It is this near endless desire to coddle them and act like they're retards that makes them unable to face the more difficult challenges in the end.

You didn't answer my question at all. How would SMB be a worse game if more people could enjoy it and your own enjoyement is not hindered? Also we are talking about entertainment here. Not art. Not the Olympics.

I'm not telling these people to spend X amount of time getting better, I'm telling them to stop blaming the game for their lack of effort or lack of skills. It's their fault they aren't a better gamer. They have no one to blame but themselves.

They have the developers to blame if there is a flaw in the game. (and believe me, most devs want to know this shit) Now I know you'd like to answer that the game is perfect, which can be true to you, but it still doesn't mean someone else can't find something that could be improved in the game. For example the presentation.

And yes I too would like to live in a utopia where people would constantly try to improve themselves in everything they do and stop imposing their ideals onto each other.

Reclaimer

Playing Rayman... Wow, hours of pure joy! Honestly, a bit surprised!

I was in love with Rayman 1 and 2 and sort of fell off after that. But those bastards then went and made this gorgeous beast!

Zoukka said:
How would SMB be a worse game if more people could enjoy it and your own enjoyement is not hindered?

This. :)

Stop shitting up this thread with that crappy Super Meat Boy game. This is now a funeral zone for the awful sales of Rayman Origins.

Good night, sweet prince.

After playing a few stages in time attack i'm certain that this is the best way for me to play the game, no lum collecting distractions!
Shame about those sales, I guess it's to be expected. I actually saw a few adverts on tv for the game here in the UK, I was hoping that was a positive sign but I guess not.

Amir0x

Banned
Stop shitting up this thread with that crappy Super Meat Boy game. This is now a funeral zone for the awful sales of Rayman Origins.

Good night, sweet prince.

hey this means Super Meat Boy sold better AND reviewed better. Guess the better game won in the end eh*

*Rayman Origins is awesome, of course, amazing game. Your opinion on SMB is just insane bullshit but we can't hold that against you in a Rayman topic.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Rented and played the first couple of levels. The visuals are really impressive, but honestly it didn't really grab me. My wife and I love playing New Super Mario Wii together, so at some point in the future I may convince her to give this a try when it's on sale.

... I honestly think that these types of games can only work with something "familiar" going for it. If you had taken this game's art direction and applied it toward a license people were familiar with, I think this would've been more successful. I mean, trying to convince my wife to play Rayman and his Goofy Friends is not as immediately appealing as Mario.

Zapages

This is really sad. :( This is even worse for Beyond Good and Evil 2 development. Rayman Origins had to sell well for B&GE2 to gain a larger development team/studio.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is really sad. :( This is even worse for Beyond Good and Evil 2 development. Rayman Origins had to sell well for B&GE2 to gain a larger development team/studio.

Wasn't that a mistranslation or an accidental mincing of words?

My question though is: Did they, or didn't they see this coming?

Either way, this game will be on sale very soon I imagine. It's just a shame to think of how well this game could have done in say January at $49.99.

Damn.

Zapages

Wasn't that a mistranslation or an accidental mincing of words?

This is the source: http://geek.pikimal.com/2011/11/11/beyond-good-evil-2-needs-the-success-of-rayman-origins/

Ultimately, Rayman is [Ancel 's] original creation, and if all the people that love Beyond Good & Evil understand he is more than a one trick pony… and that if Rayman Origins does well, it gives him more leeway for other opportunities because he has to build up his studio.

Top Bottom