• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

BeeDog

I'm a bit annoyed that too many of the later levels are timing-based. You don't get to savor the awesome art, and most levels devolve into pure trial-and-error areas, especially if you try to go for the collectibles. Some checkpoints are truly badly placed.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
One of the best games of the year imo.

Graphics are so beautiful.

Quikies83

Picked this up for PS3 earlier today from gamestop for $29.
First Rayman game I've played and so far I am really, really enjoying it. This game is pretty refreshing.

Lijik

I'm a bit annoyed that too many of the later levels are timing-based. You don't get to savor the awesome art, and most levels devolve into pure trial-and-error areas, especially if you try to go for the collectibles. Some checkpoints are truly badly placed.

The only bad checkpoint I feel personally is the one right before the first part of the
boss rush
in The Reveal.

Its a short section but asking me to run through it again when it has nothing to do with the meat of that part annoyed me.

Model 500

How are the controls mapped to the Wiimote? Are they configurable?

Are there any gameplay differences between the three platforms?

I think I'll have to go for the Wii version, I'm getting it strictly for the multiplayer experience, but have only one PS3 controller. The extra visuals are tempting, but the cost of another controller is definitely too much and my friend does not have access to a PS3 controller.

Btw. Are there any official wired PS3 controllers? The damn thing has lost its juice almost completely.

Bump :eek:

Lima

What's the typical length for a playthrough of this game? I heard it's 60 levels so should be long right?

Yeah I played the game for like 25 hours if not more. I collected everything though and got all the medals and stuff. Even if you are just getting through the levels and look at the amazing visuals you will probably clock in 10 hours which is quite good for a Jump 'n' run.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Aww yeah, I love Christmas money. Snagged this and Super Mario 3D Land last night. I'm already up to world 2 and I'm absolutely loving it. It took me a while to get used to the seemingly slippery controls, but now that I'm good at chaining actions together the game feels like a dream.

I got this for Christmas, and I am really enjoying it. The Collectors Edition is really worth the extra money too, I think - the art book, CD and cardboard 'pop-up' are of excellent quality and beautiful to look at.

I am being reminded a lot of DKC Returns, which ain't no bad thing. The loading screens seem to be a direct nod to that game.

I am hoping to pick up a HD TV for this game soon, as I am still usind a standard definition TV at the moment.

Harlock

Playing now. I like. Is beautiful. But I miss the Nintendo way to polish every level. So far, seems a little repetitive and I don´t get this kind of problem in New Super Mario Wii, for example.

Atomski

I went by Gamestop after work to pick this up for the 30 dollar deal. They couldnt find a case or manual but wanted me to pay 30 anyways. Forget that, always reminding me why I never shop there.

Lijik

Playing now. I like. Is beautiful. But I miss the Nintendo way to polish every level. So far, seems a little repetitive and I don´t get this kind of problem in New Super Mario Wii, for example.

Personally, having played the entire game the only time I felt a nintendo level of polish was missing was in one tiny bit in the Land of the Livid Dead
I felt that when youre being chased by the tentacle and jumping over gravestones in some purple goo, the order should have been long, tall, tall instead of tall, tall, long. It felt explicitly off having the two harder jumps of something youve never encountered before first.

MercuryLS

Banned
Started playing this today.

its-beautifulg36tu.jpg

That is all.

This. Bought it today, it's so beautiful and so much fun.

Couldn't put it off any longer. $30 new at GameStop. Mine now.

I went by Gamestop after work to pick this up for the 30 dollar deal. They couldnt find a case or manual but wanted me to pay 30 anyways. Forget that, always reminding me why I never shop there.

Tell me about it. I was so fucking glad I got a sealed copy.

I got this for Christmas. It very well may be my game of the year. I am amazed. Christophe Heral's music is STUNNING. I dare say it's even better than his Beyond Good and Evil soundtrack.

Chaplain

It very well may be my game of the year. I am amazed. Christophe Heral's music is STUNNING. I dare say it's even better than his Beyond Good and Evil soundtrack.

My wife and I are almost at the end of the game. We have been having an amazing time playing this game. Some of the levels are works of art come to life and the creativity is simply unmatched by any other platformer to date. Also, the music is beautiful and the sound effects are hilarious.

Any one who grew up with Mario should play this game.

Game is amazing. I love how recently there's a platforming revival.

A sequel to this + Donkey Kong Country Wii U would be brilliant for next gen. Let's have it!

In fact, I could see DKC being a near-launch title for the Wii U.

I've just reached the third world in Origins, and I've got to agree that the music is swell, and the sound effects bonkers. Loving it.

I wish I had somebody to play with, though. It's a solo adventure for me. :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I wish I had somebody to play with, though. It's a solo adventure for me. :(

You're not alone! Well, technically you are, but you're not the only one who is playing exclusively solo. No one I know could appreciate a game like this, they only play Call of Duty, plus I only have one controller so it's solo only for me. Oh well, they would slow me down anyways...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I had neglected to mention that I'm finally playing the PS3 version of the game this week. Preordering this game from the US was worth it--the hardbound artbook is really nice. By the time I got it, I was deep into exams so I couldn't really start it until now.

This game is really fun! The background art is just exquisite, and the characters blend in well with it. It's beautiful. I now want to see how the Vita version will look with the OLED screen. I'm not too far in (3rd world), but I'm loving the art direction, music, and the platforming so far. Oh, yeah... I'm playing solo too, so I can empathize with those can't find other people to play it! No one I know is really interested in it.

I've also yet to start Super Mario 3D Land (I want to finish Kirby Mass Attack and Fate/Extra first), but I have to say that I love that we've been so spoiled with platformers this generation.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think it's going to be a long revival, at least not for bigger budget stuff like Rayman Origins (excluding Nintendo's stuff, of course).
Well, the revival's been going on for a few years now, with Mega Man 9, New Super Mario Bros DS, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, Sonic Rush, Contra ReBirth, and Wario Land: Shake It! leading the charge. Since then, we've gotten a lot of platformers, and I'm not complaining. It's one of my favourite genres.

It's just more noticeable because we've gotten a lot over the course of 2009 (NSMB Wii, Braid, A Boy and His Blob Wii), 2010 (Shantae, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy 2 (though that's 3D platforming), Sonic Colours (combo of 2D and 3D platforming), Donkey Kong Country Returns) and 2011 (Super Mario 3D Land, Rayman Origins, Sonic Generations (2D/3D), Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Kirby Mass Attack, etc). It's been like a deluge.

I do hope we continue to get more traditional platformers like these, whether they're on portables or consoles.

Probably been asked, but there's no plans for a PC port, right? I just got Sonic Generations on PC and I'm floored, so Rayman has me psyched. Should I just get it for 360?

Holy dang. This game.

Just got up to the
Ice Worlds (I'm loathe to call them "snow" ;D)

So gorgeous. And challenging enough without making me want to die. Haven't missed a "secret" Pinkie Thing Cave yet, nor have I sweated about it.

Akainu

Just played the demo. It definitely is a beautiful game on my HD tv I can't imagine how ugly it must look in SD *smug smiley*. Might buying it. If I were to just power through it without 100% completing each level how long would it be?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So gorgeous. And challenging enough without making me want to die. Haven't missed a "secret" Pinkie Thing Cave yet, nor have I sweated about it.
Agreed.

And the secret cages aren't really hard to find, but I looooove the "Ooooooh" that happens when you uncover it. It's silly, but it makes me smile and chuckle to myself. It's awesome.

And the secret cages aren't really hard to find, but I looooove the "Ooooooh" that happens when you uncover it. It's silly, but it makes me smile and chuckle to myself. It's awesome.

I love that as well. This is a game that loves the fact that its a game, and embraces its conventions like hidden rooms.

Smallerz

Neo Member
I must've tried the Ice-Fishing Folly treasure level over a hundred times now and I just cannot complete it. I'm really struggling at the final section with the red water and the piranhas. I try sliding at the beginning of the section to gain speed but I gain too much momentum because of it and eventually fall into the water, yet if I don't slide down at the start of the section I gain too little speed to make it across the other platforms before they collapse. I'm at a loss here and at this point I feel like I've tried absolutely everything! I've even looked on YouTube to see how other people manage to complete it but I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Any advice?

BeeDog

I must've tried the Ice-Fishing Folly treasure level over a hundred times now and I just cannot complete it. I'm really struggling at the final section with the red water and the piranhas. I try sliding at the beginning of the section to gain speed but I gain too much momentum because of it and eventually fall into the water, yet if I don't slide down at the start of the section I gain too little speed to make it across the other platforms before they collapse. I'm at a loss here and at this point I feel like I've tried absolutely everything! I've even looked on YouTube to see how other people manage to complete it but I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Any advice?

If it's the part I think it is, you simply have to jump as late as possible from the ice platform and press down the Jump button as hard as possible and NEVER glide in the air. The thing is, the level scrolls along with you, and even if it feels you won't make the jump, the actual level scrolling will help you catch up with the next platform. I also had a lot of trouble with this section, but you simply have to keep retrying. You need to catch speed at all times during this part, and can't allow yourself to slow down.

Smallerz

Neo Member
If it's the part I think it is, you simply have to jump as late as possible from the ice platform and press down the Jump button as hard as possible and NEVER glide in the air. The thing is, the level scrolls along with you, and even if it feels you won't make the jump, the actual level scrolling will help you catch up with the next platform. I also had a lot of trouble with this section, but you simply have to keep retrying. You need to catch speed at all times during this part, and can't allow yourself to slow down.

AHA, I did it! Thanks for the advice, turns out it was gliding in the air that was messing everything up!

You're not alone! Well, technically you are, but you're not the only one who is playing exclusively solo. No one I know could appreciate a game like this, they only play Call of Duty, plus I only have one controller so it's solo only for me. Oh well, they would slow me down anyways...

Yeah, all my mates are into Call of Duty, etc, and would dismiss this as a kid's game. They're always having little digs at me for playing DK and Mario games, so I know they'd feel the same way about this, too. It's only a bit of colour!

I think they have no taste. ;)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, played the demo for this the other night and it was probably the most gorgeous game I've ever played. Holy shit. Need to get this as soon as I can afford it.

Vomiaouaf

Just platinumed the game. Never had such a blast doing so. Challenging throughout but nearly never frustrating except for a few levels.
namely the one with the hidden boss, holy fuck

Bukana

I have a question about the Vita version, is it gonna have an online co-op !? Or do we have to be next to each other !?

Alx

I just wanted to add another positive voice for that game that deserves a much bigger success. I just "finished" it yesterday, and loved it (a good indicator for me : if a game can keep me playing for a whole night, then it's a great game :p ).

The game has a very good balance between challenge and accessibility, and is rarely frustrating. It's a good thing that there are infinite lives, though, the final level is crazy. When I tried the demo I thought it might be too demanding, especially since I'm not big on platformers, but finally it's just perfect.
It's only a shame that the unlockables skins are pointless (I mostly played with the regular Rayman). Totally worth the price of a full game anyway, it's pretty, long, has a varied gameplay, and it's very funny.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finally finished this. What a ride! This game deserves more attention. :(

The game is challenging, yes. But it isn't too challenging in that it'll make me angry and quit. If I die, it's my fault because my timing was off, or I floated when I shouldn't have. In that respect, the levels were very well designed and built around the platforming rather then being mere setpieces to the adventure. I'm also quite happy that there are infinite lives too. There were a few later levels that I screwed up pretty badly on, and the game gave me the opportunity to skip the level, but I'm stubborn so I stuck with it.

The control and movement work so fluidly. The physics in this game are awesome. Momentum is built properly, and if you screw up timing, then your momentum is lost. That's the way it should be. I never really felt like the controls were unresponsive, and whatever character I was using animated and ran so nicely and fluidly across the landscape. BTW, the character animation in this game is utterly wonderful. The game is clearly crafted with care and love, and I appreciate that. It comes through in the attention to detail for the character art/animation and the setpieces.

The level design is fantastic, and I just love how in the beginning, it isn't too bad... and then towards the end some of it just gets masochistic, like some Super Meat Boy-level of shit. My least favourite parts are probably the shooting levels, but everything else was great. And the water levels, especially, are amazing. The Rayman Origins water levels and the Sonic Colours water levels are my favourite water levels in any platformer ever. The swimming in Origins is flawless, attacking things underwater is fun, and the music is great.

This game needs a really nice artbook that compiles all the nice background art. All of it is so damn gorgeous. The colour palettes employed in each area tickle my fancy, and the variation throughout the levels (particularly during transitioning to more dangerous parts (ex: Sea of Serendipity's happier areas to the Abyss) flows so well in terms of the art direction. I love it. Also, I need the soundtrack. Everything is so hummable and catchy. It's one of my favourite soundtracks of the year. It's too bad the official thread for that only allows me to vote for just three. The sound direction for this game is amazing, and I love the changing genres per world, or even per environment.

Speaking of sound, I've mentioned this in the thread, but the sound effects and audio cues in this game like "Help Me!" and "Oooooooh!" are so adorable and silly and enjoyable. Like someone said, this game embraces the fact that it's a game, and embraces its conventions. It's utterly amazing. I love how, in the Sea of Serendipity, if you go underwater, the "Help Me!" becomes garbled rather than completely coherent.

I'm very happy that I paid full price for this (and super-glad I imported it for the artbook). I got my money's worth and hours of gameplay via time trials, replaying levels for more lums, chasing treasure chests (again and again and again and again... I hate you, Treasure Chest), unlocking skins, and just going back to view awesome setpieces that I've adored watching throughout this game. Just like for Generations, I couldn't stop smiling when I played this game. It's fantastic, and I encourage people to get their hands on it, especially if they're fans of platformers and tight controls/great physics in platformers.

Why the hell did Ubi send this wonderful game out to die? :(

Top Bottom