• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

Edgeward

I just unlocked one of the pink tiny dude and I didn't think any of the characters differed in terms of ability but I did see that he could dash attack in the air, either sideways or up. But that's great gonna help in making certain jumps or heights with this.

The game is challenging but the fact it loads up instantly to the last checkpoint and infinite lives make sure I never get too frustrated. It's too bad there is no online co-op as some 2 player would be pretty ideal to play this although 1P is pretty jazz so far. And boy the visual and music that plays when you hit 350 gold things in a level is well worth the effort.

goldenpp72

Lack of online co op is basically the only true flaw I had for this game, not too big a deal in the end, but it would always be fun to have the option, especially for a 60 dollar game.

Foffy

Banned
I'm thinking of getting the game soon, and it seems that universally the game controls very well. My question, silly as it may be, has to do with the 'Origins' in the title. Is this still marketed as a prequellolstory to Rayman, or is the Origins just there because they didn't want to give it a number?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Really? I thought the game was super easy. Maybe Super Meat Boy whipped me in shape...I still haven't completed that game, but I had no trouble getting 1000/1000 on Rayman Origins.
The
Land of the Livid Dead
parts are to me, even if I have played SMB... I have no qualms with saying that I found parts of Rayman Origins difficult because it's the truth.

Early game isn't bad. Wasn't really prepared for the last part, though!

Edit: Oh yes, Super Meat Boy, upon reflection, makes this game seem much easier by comparison. :lol

The
Land of the Livid Dead
parts are to me, even if I have played SMB... I have no qualms with saying that I found parts of Rayman Origins difficult because it's the truth.

Early game isn't bad. Wasn't really prepared for the last part, though!

Edit: Oh yes, Super Meat Boy, upon reflection, makes this game seem much easier by comparison. :lol

Yeah, that level was really hard but I thought the checkpoint system was pretty gracious so it made it better. I suppose it did ramp up at the end there, and some of the speed trials were tricky. I bet the game would have twice as hard if I had not invested so much time in Super Meat Boy. :p

krpiper

How long is it for $30

I ask as I wont be able to get to my gamestop until I get back to school this weekend. Will it still be $30 then? Or is that the "retail" price

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
How long is it for $30

I ask as I wont be able to get to my gamestop until I get back to school this weekend. Will it still be $30 then? Or is that the "retail" price

a better question is, when is it $20?

decon

Just got 1000/1000 :) First game that I've gotten 1000 points in.

The great audio design really comes to life in the desert/music themed levels. Strings, drums and even the flying flute makes sounds while rayman & co runs across them :)

Lijik

Yeah, that level was really hard but I thought the checkpoint system was pretty gracious so it made it better. I suppose it did ramp up at the end there, and some of the speed trials were tricky. I bet the game would have twice as hard if I had not invested so much time in Super Meat Boy. :p

Eh.
I feel the check point system breaks it up the way Meat Boy would break it into individual levels.
Like if you took the 22 or so levels each world in SMB has, and strung them together so you had 6-8 or so, the checkpoints would be the same as Rayman's.

Lijik

Everyone needs to buy this so we might get a sequel(probably won't happen).

It looks like they left enough stuff on the cutting room floor (theres enemies shown off on the official site like a month before release that are no where in the game for instance, and a whole world theme they didnt use), that I feel like they could easily just get the team to make a decent second game rather cheap and quick. Maybe a short one as a downloadable title or something like they did for PoP08
But that makes sense and this is Ubisoft.

hayejin

I bought POP collection at full price + shipping + custom tax to import from UK when they originally announced it was Europe only.

I vowed never to support Ubisoft after I got stuck in game breaking glitch which they neglected to fix but this is one game I think Ubisoft deserves to get credit for.

This game is a blast. Haven't had that much fun with a platformer since Super Mario World.

Definitely my favorite 2011 game along with Dark Souls and Alice Madness returns.

The treasure chest music is forever ingrained in my brain and I haven't even finished the game.

0 HP

So blown away by this game, haha. I haven't played a Rayman since the 2nd one on DC and this is bringing back all that nostalgia and then some. I actually feel bad only paying $30 for this. Started it about an hour or two ago, probably going to play for the rest of the day.

lordy88

I convinced my friend to get this since he was a HUGE fan of the original Rayman on Sega Saturn when we were kids. I went over to his place, and given that I'm not much of a fan of 2D platformers, I wasn't really expecting a great personal experience with the game.

Yeah fuck that.

I had a great time playing 3 person co-op, and I don't remember laughing so much at a game that involved very little direct humor. They absolutely nailed 2D platforming, and I honestly believe they out Mario'd Mario. An amazing game, and I really hope it gets the support it deserves.

Also, weirdly, I hate Rayman. I think he's one of the dumbest, uninspired characters ever, visually. So I was really happy they offered other characters, although there seem to be differences in play with all of them.

Maffis

This game is a lot of fun with co-op. It's not frustrating like DKCR is with it's life system and unforgiving check points.

They really nailed the part with making this game fairly hard but not frustratingly hard.

Bought this game yesterday using a gift card I had received over the holidays. Made it through the first three worlds with my girlfriend in tow (who's not a gamer at all), and loved it. So great. One of the best games of the year.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Really loving this, at least until I encountered the bug at the end of the Pirate's Treasure stage. ARGH! I'll resume trying crazy things to somehow beat that one after work, but damn, that really put a damper on the whole experience.

Really loving this, at least until I encountered the bug at the end of the Pirate's Treasure stage. ARGH! I'll resume trying crazy things to somehow beat that one after work, but damn, that really put a damper on the whole experience.

Wait a minute. Is that the part where a freakin' pillar falls and makes you stuck off-screen ? I've tried this stage so many times but always failed because of that :(

Also, weirdly, I hate Rayman. I think he's one of the dumbest, uninspired characters ever, visually. So I was really happy they offered other characters, although there seem to be differences in play with all of them.

Same here. I don't think I've played a single level with the iconic but ugly chap. I haven't noticed any differences between the characters. Are there ?

Dan

Wait a minute. Is that the part where a freakin' pillar falls and makes you stuck off-screen ? I've tried this stage so many times but always failed because of that :(

Yes, that. There's a bug where the treasure chest transports super quickly to the right of the screen and you die. Seems like it was a widespread problem. There's YouTube videos showing how it's supposed to go (it falls slowly and you just hover down to a safe landing) and no shortage of people bitching about the bug.

I did some searching last night and have a short list of random suggestions on how to maybe cheat it and/or make it work right. We'll see if any pan out.

krYlon

Yes, that. There's a bug where the treasure chest transports super quickly to the right of the screen and you die. Seems like it was a widespread problem. There's YouTube videos showing how it's supposed to go (it falls slowly and you just hover down to a safe landing) and no shortage of people bitching about the bug.

I did some searching last night and have a short list of random suggestions on how to maybe cheat it and/or make it work right. We'll see if any pan out.

It's a terrible bug, I can't quite believe they haven't released a patch for it or something.

I think someone earlier in the thread said that it can fix itself if you leave the level and then re-enter.
I haven't tried it though. I've just carried on with the rest of the game, maybe I'll return when I have the rest of the teeth.

Yeah not sure how that pillar works to be honest, I still managed to pass it though.

Of course when I reach the section in co-op yesterday I tell my allies the chilling tale of the screen shifting ship mast that left me a broken man last month only for the section to work perfectly fine.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I love the sort of record scratch sensation you get when you have to start it over a million times. Like, ERT -- back to the beginning!!
I love that. What a cute little detail.

If you guys loved the soundtrack (I know I did!) don't forget to vote for it in the Soundtrack of the year thread! :http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457163
You know how I've been mulling over my third soundtrack choice for a while trying to pick between two of them? Rayman Origins is definitely one of them. The soundtrack supports the game so well, and the game in turn influences the soundtrack. It's very beautiful in a Zelda-like regard.

Dan

After another 20 attempts I managed to beat it. For what it's worth, the time I beat it I did the requisite 4 wall jumps at the end, then hovered and held Rayman to the left rather than the right. Magically, the screen didn't jump, so I just glided down and finished up.

*whew* With that no longer hanging over me, back to progressing through the rest of the game.

bridegur

I'm only a few levels in, but this is already my favorite game of 2011. If it continues to impress me like it has so far, it might even end up tying with Mario World and Yoshi's Island as my favorite 2D platformer ever. Man, it's a shame that more people didn't buy this.

Lijik

I played some of this soundtrack in Audiosurf today.
If you have both, I really recommend it! Rayman Origins is like the gift that keeps on giving

Theonik

Looks like the release dates for the portable versions have been announced. Vita: February 22, 3DS: March 16. Not sure if that is US only, but I don't see anything that says otherwise. I will definitely double dip on the 3DS version as long as Ubi doesn't half-ass the port.

link: http://www.vg247.com/2012/01/05/assa...ting-in-march/
Provided the port is good I might double dip when I get my Vita.
I played some of this soundtrack in Audiosurf today.
If you have both, I really recommend it! Rayman Origins is like the gift that keeps on giving
I need to do this.

Top Bottom