• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, since I got my 3DS I've been thinking a lot about how great this could look in 3D. The art is really well suited for it. But unfortunately, I have no faith in Ubisoft, I've heard a lot of bad about the Rayman 2 3DS port, Origins will probably run at like 10fps lol.

Joe Molotov

Man, since I got my 3DS I've been thinking a lot about how great this could look in 3D. The art is really well suited for it. But unfortunately, I have no faith in Ubisoft, I've heard a lot of bad about the Rayman 2 3DS port, Origins will probably run at like 10fps lol.

Dat 240p art.

BeeDog

Goddamn this game turns hard during the later levels, especially if you try to get 350 lums. And let's not talk about LotLD, jesus... can't even pass the first section for now.

*sigh* what would an ubisoft game be without a soul-crushing glitch? Just lost an hour of my life to that Pirate's Treasure ship mast glitch. I was exiting and reentering the level to no avail, then finally after countless tries, it let me finish. Something's messed up about that level though, the pirate ship in the background was slowly drawing itself in when I died and came back to life. That was a great level too....it's a shame ubisoft always seems to miss a huge glitch in their bug testing (see:every prince of persia game).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Does this feature "collect 150 collectathon crap before you can proceed with the story" garbage? Main story, not extra side missions.

LaneDS

Does this feature "collect 150 collectathon crap before you can proceed with the story" garbage? Main story, not extra side missions.

It does not. Most of the collecting in the game can be thought of as your score per stage, and is only used (I think) to unlock special stages that ultimately unlock a hidden area.

There's also little in the way of a story, let alone a main one. If you like 2D platformers, game is straight up amazing fun start to finish.

protonion

The game blew me away!

-Gorgeous. Why didn't more developers take advantage of the HD consoles to do stuff like this?
-Controls are awesome.
-Level design is perfect.
-Huge.

I have 2 complaints.

-I'm a completionist but I won't bother with the 350 lums per level. 300 is ok. However I'd rather collect one well placed coin per location.
-I'm not a fan of the bubbling mechanic.

Also I didn't encounter the treasure level bug (PS3 version).

If it wasn't for DKCR this would be my no1 platformer this gen.

Buy it people! It is that good.

protonion

Do you mean when you ride on the bubbles? It is really easy, there is no need to use the dpad trying to stay on the bubble, it happends automatically, even when you jump.

No I meant when you kill enemies. Its pointless most of the time and you can lose many easy lums.

wouwie

I keep coming back to this game. Finally succeeded in the Dragon Soup time trial. 240/246 so far. So close yet so far away. Most of the remaining lums are located in the last world.

The game is pure fun and gaming heaven. I wish there were more games like this released on hd consoles.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

havok666

Yes, that. There's a bug where the treasure chest transports super quickly to the right of the screen and you die. Seems like it was a widespread problem. There's YouTube videos showing how it's supposed to go (it falls slowly and you just hover down to a safe landing) and no shortage of people bitching about the bug.

I did some searching last night and have a short list of random suggestions on how to maybe cheat it and/or make it work right. We'll see if any pan out.

It took me over an hour to get that chest.

PokéKong

Weird how the more I play the game the more I enjoy it, yet can't stop thinking how it might be even better as a handheld game, I'm actually considering purchasing it again once it hits a portable console. I never do anything like that.

One little bothersome thing: basically all the regular controlling is digital, using the the analog has no effect on how fast you run and you only attack in four directions, so for the most part you're best off just using the directional pad all the time. But the moment you dive into some water everything turns completely analog, your speed and direction are effected by every subtle movement of the analog stick, so using the pad would be suicide in many situations.

Time Trials have further raised my opinion on this game, it just feels so much better to run your arse off.
A point someone brought up earlier regarding this games playstyle was that momentum plays a part, having played a bunch of time trials I get this approach much more now, when going through the game normally the flow is often broken up for me by collecting the lums in their various forms whether they're just floating around or punching every enemy and their bubble. As such it led to a very stop and start style of play which I didn't get on that well with but with the lum distraction given the boot for time trials i'm enjoying it much more.
And I finally got the speed trophy for Mecha No Mistake, i'm feeling pretty chuffed right now.

Globox is still the man, his animations slay me, especially the crouching one, i'd do it in co-op whenever I was waiting and everyone found it so oddly amusing, maybe the game would have sold better if it was Globox origins featuring Rayman. Actually I wonder if putting a rabbid in the game over the second teensie would've helped matters even slightly?

Captain N

I've got it on the PS3 & Wii and plan on getting it for the PS Vita day 1. Its still not in their computer system so I couldn't preorder it today. Bummer.

alr1ght

It does not. Most of the collecting in the game can be thought of as your score per stage, and is only used (I think) to unlock special stages that ultimately unlock a hidden area.

There's also little in the way of a story, let alone a main one. If you like 2D platformers, game is straight up amazing fun start to finish.

yeah...it does. I cannot unlock the final two bosses and the last stage until I collect 20 more of those stupid pink things. Collectathon lives. :|

well, I was enjoying the game until that point.

Foffy

Banned
yeah...it does. I cannot unlock the final two bosses and the last stage until I collect 20 more of those stupid pink things. Collectathon lives. :|

Well, the Origins in the title may no longer have to do with it being a prequel, but such a concept is clearly inspired by the earlier Rayman games.

You couldn't access the final level in the original game unless you collected every Electoon. The game was hard as balls just to finish the stages normally...

StuBurns

Banned
How many worlds are there? I feel like I've already had my fill, but I'm concerned there's a whole second screen of worlds to go to because the guy with the red teeth has way too many teeth missing.

Amir0x

Banned
How many worlds are there? I feel like I've already had my fill, but I'm concerned there's a whole second screen of worlds to go to because the guy with the red teeth has way too many teeth missing.

if you've already had your fill (no comment), then yeah stop now and abandon hope. You're not even half done.

StuBurns

Banned
if you've already had your fill (no comment), then yeah stop now and abandon hope. You're not even half done.
Yeah, I guess I will, very enjoyable and charming, but it's wore out it's welcome I think. Very respectable amount of content though it seems.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, I guess I will, very enjoyable and charming, but it's wore out it's welcome I think. Very respectable amount of content though it seems.

Man even doing all the time trials and getting all the electoonish crap (i hate collectathoning too) didn't spoil me on more. Getting close to the end of the worlds on screen I was like "this is it?" before I realized it could not possibly be it, I have too few teeth.

It was so amazing to have that much great content. Some of the next versions of worlds contain the best levels in the whole game.

StuBurns

Banned
Man even doing all the time trials and getting all the electoonish crap (i hate collectathoning too) didn't spoil me on more. Getting close to the end of the worlds on screen I was like "this is it?" before I realized it could not possibly be it, I have too few teeth.

It was so amazing to have that much great content. Some of the next versions of worlds contain the best levels in the whole game.
I'm surprised they make you get all those pink circles to move on to the next world if there's so much content. That's the big thing hampering my experience at this point. I don't want to replay any levels, so I have to go thru them all really slowly checking every inch for the hidden boxes. Just running thru at a natural pace is much more enjoyable for me.

LaneDS

well, I was enjoying the game until that point.

Ah, well shit. The only time I ever found myself in need of collecting (which again, feels more like scoring well than going out of your way to collect something a la 3D platformers) was to unlock the tricky treasure stages. Didn't realize it blocks you at the end aside from needing tricky treasures for the final stage.

Either way, game never felt like a collectathon to me, but that is of course a difference of opinion.

alr1ght

well at least they give a hint when a secret room is nearby, so it's not so bad hunting down a few pink things.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hey every once in a while I get a powerup that's like, blue clouds or puffs that follow me around. Anyone know what this is?

It's a temporary power up that lets you shoot punching gloves at enemies. It's inclusion is kind of odd...you don't really need it for anything.

well at least they give a hint when a secret room is nearby, so it's not so bad hunting down a few pink things.

Plus, it's a 2D game with fairly short levels. It's nothing like a collect-a-thon in a game like Banjo Kazooie where you have to search a large 3D area for scattered collectibles. There are a few well hidden Electoons, but for the most part they are hard to miss.

LaneDS

It's a temporary power up that lets you shoot punching gloves at enemies. It's inclusion is kind of odd...you don't really need it for anything.

Yeah, I didn't notice it at first until well into the game, and there wasn't a single instance where I was like "boy, this power-up is really useful!". Odd inclusion indeed.

Lijik

Its a riff on an old Rayman power up that I bet they coded really early on, and then didnt find much use for in the final iteration of the game but left it in anyways.
I remember it being a lil useful in a section in the last world, but not amazingly so.

This game is insane fun! Ubisoft should be making their own console!
With all of the weird accessories they've been coming up with, I wouldnt be surprised if this happened.

Grisby

Having a great time. Bought from the GS $30 dolla sale.

Hardly any bosses though. I'm on world 4 and was expecting to see some big baddies already.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The bosses are actually the only part of the game I didn't like. Pretty much all just pattern memorizing, and you have to keep redoing everything if you get hit once.

Grisby

349 lums.

Man, that stings.

Also, are there only
worlds? Seems a tad short unless there's an epic twist coming.

gdt

Beat the game.

Amazing! The game didn't really click for me until the second world, and then it just got better and better. The last bunch of levels were tough as nails, excellent stuff. It took me a few tries in the last level (about 20 minutes in the chase sequence) but I got it.

Only have one tooth to pick up left (about 14 pick balls left to get), gonna pick that up and see what's behind the toothless guy.

Top Bottom