• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i definitely want more rayman from ancil on this engine, even if it has to be DLC and episodic in nature (something i think fits true 2d games these days better - like it or not)

Yeah I was getting frustrated, especially since I knew that I had got to the end so many times only to muck it up. I started making even dumber mistakes earlier in the sequence. Missing the timing on that platforming sequence almost guarantees death down the road. The only place for major deviation from the winning pathway are at the very end - even then it couldn't be more than a full second of difference. I don't recall any Super Meat Boy light world level requiring this sort of precision - the last level required precision, yes, but not the timing like Rayman Origins does in this spot.

I bet if I looked at Youtube runs through that level they would be nearly identical. I've never played anything like it.

I'll go through a good portion of the rest of the game, I don't know that I will collect everything, but the challenge is there if I'm interested. The speedruns look really difficult in places, so I don't know if I would pursue those. Maybe once my gamerscore is over 500 I'll consider the game satisfactorily beaten. I'm not far now.

That stage is harder than most of Meat Boy? I haven't played Meat Boy yet, but I thought it was supposed to be extremely challenging. I'm pretty good at platformers, Land of the Livid Dead probably took me about a half hour to beat total, and I thought it was a blast the whole time. I've actually been intimidated to try Meat Boy but this makes me curious.

3DS version headed to NA on Feb. 20th/EU on Feb. 16th

Demo is also coming to the Eshop.

I've been waiting to make a decision on which version to get. Lately I've been playing more on the handhelds, and if this is the same experience I will pick it up on the 3DS. If not, I'll go with one of the HD versions. I'll basically be making that decision by playing the demo and reading up on reviews. Either way it looks like I'll finally be able to join in on the amazing of playing this game soon. Can't wait!

How important is having it portable to you? The game looks really, really good in 1080p, even if the gameplay is identical it seems like you'd lose a lot of visual detail on the 3DS screen. There's also sections where the camera zooms out enough that Rayman is pretty tiny on my 23" monitor, I'm not sure how those will be handled on 3DS. Staying zoomed in is going to make the level harder because you can't see as far ahead, and zooming out will make the characters ridiculously small on a 3" screen.

Anyway, if you have a choice, I'd definitely go with the console version. Console version will probably be cheaper too.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
How important is having it portable to you? The game looks really, really good in 1080p, even if the gameplay is identical it seems like you'd lose a lot of visual detail on the 3DS screen. There's also sections where the camera zooms out enough that Rayman is pretty tiny on my 23" monitor, I'm not sure how those will be handled on 3DS. Staying zoomed in is going to make the level harder because you can't see as far ahead, and zooming out will make the characters ridiculously small on a 3" screen.

Anyway, if you have a choice, I'd definitely go with the console version. Console version will probably be cheaper too.

Well I have ton of time to play video games while I'm at college (Tuesday and Thursday, tons of hour long breaks in between classes) and lately I play more on my handheld just because of convenience. Also I'm much more likely to complete a game FULLY on a handheld then I am on a 360/PS3/Wii. I just 100% Super Mario 3D Land yesterday, first Mario game I have done that with since New Super Mario Bros DS. Mainly that has to do with the ability to easily pick up and play a game without having to sit in one place for a long period of time/be at home.

But I will wait for more information to come out AND how I feel about it when the 3DS demo comes out. Obviously if it doesn't play as good as the HD versions or is lacking some major features, then I will be buying a HD version for sure, because I loved the 360 demo. Two other factors will also come into play, which is price and 3D quality, but those aren't huge things I'm really worried about.

So I'll be taking a wait and see approach, but I'm really hoping the 3DS version holds up. Either way, sometime in middle Feb. I'll be picking up this masterpiece. The more options the better!

Theonik

So, the music after you get a medal in a stage...too good. I want the medal just so I can listen to the music and watch the dance.
I just leave it on for several minutes when I get a medal. sogood.gif
Extended version is also awesome.
~
Slowly getting through the game now, I feel like I'm behind everybody as Amazon delayed my order 1 month in the end. (first package got lost in mail and replacement got delayed a bit in the Xmas holiday) I'm basically
when you just unlocked the second half of the game but have got every lum and speedtrophy until now and a large portion of the medals.
Playing this with a Saturn pad is great! Well except the water levels which don't work all that well with it.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Just got to Livid Dead... fuck this, can't do it tonight. This is brutal as hell and I'm not in good shape to be even trying it. I'm going to have to go back to this one later this week with fresh eyes.

I think I'll need to block off 2 hours just to try to beat this.

AniHawk

Just got to Livid Dead... fuck this, can't do it tonight. This is brutal as hell and I'm not in good shape to be even trying it. I'm going to have to go back to this one later this week with fresh eyes.

I think I'll need to block off 2 hours just to try to beat this.
that's a good idea. i played a segment, would beat that segment, and then do something else for a moment just to cool off and come back to try out the last segment.

the second-to-last-part of the level i ran through on my third try and managed to do it flawlessly, to my surprise. although, i think it was the easiest part of the level.
it's bullet hell in platformer form

V_Ben

Banned
Finally started this up today with 3 other friends, and my god did we have a ton of fun. Best multiplayer experience I've had in ages.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
StreetPass Functions detailed for the 3DS version

Rebirth of a Platforming Legend: It’s been 15 years since the first launch of Rayman. Rayman Origins brings back many of the classic characters, revived in their original 2D form, as well as a whole new world of characters and environments.

Unique Approach to 2D Art: A rich world with over 100 characters and 6 unique worlds created by some of the VG’s most reputed artists and animators. This creative approach to 2D design will recapture the hearts of platformer fans and introduce a new generation to one of the industry’s best-loved characters in his original 2D form.

A Vast Playground: Rayman Origins includes over 60 levels of 2D platforming gameplay designed for all ages and playing styles. Unlock new abilities progressively and return to previous levels to discover new paths and secrets.

Variety of Gameplay: Rayman Origins is a platformer at its core, but it has elements of many game genres. Rayman and Globox gain unique abilities as they progress through the adventure, including swimming, diving and the sensational “HairlyCopter.” The game also features many elements of action, adventure, shooter and beat-’em-up gameplay.

Street Pass Functionality: Taking advantage of the Street Pass, you can share your progression, number of collectibles, time played, unlocked achievements, and avatar with others.

Epic Boss Fights: A giant pink monster with hundreds of eyes... A possessed, mountainous golem... An evil daisy-cum-carnivorous plant... Rayman Origins will put players to the test with these and many more challenging boss battles!

Unique Approach, Unique Game: Rayman Origins was created by Michel Ancel with a small team of artists and developers to produce not only high-quality graphics and gameplay, but a creative and unique experience.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Today, Ubisoft announced Rayman Origins will be available on Nintendo 3DS on March 20th, 2012. Rayman Origins was previously released for Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii on November 15, 2011 and will be available on PlayStation Vita February 14th.

March, uh?
...I think IGN just confused the months. In fact, they said the game would have been released on 16th February in Europe and on 20th in USA. But not only we have still 20th for USA, but March, but 20th March is a tuesday, the day of releases in USA... and the 16th March wpuld be a friday indeed, and friday is the day of releases in Europe.
Instead, 16th and 20th February are respectively a thursday and a monday.
Seriously, IGN, WTF. :lol

B0IgC.jpg

Edgeward

Finishing those treasure chest is damn satisfying. Pirates Treasure was definitely my nemesis tonight, adding swimming to this level made it way harder than the others but damn did it feel good to grab that fucking chest and bust it open.

Gaaraz

GAF! Please help me decide - do I grab this on Wii (motion controls) or 360/PS3 (HD, achievements/trophies)?

I'm leaning towards 360, but don't know if it plays better on the Wii, since the metacritic score is a good few points higher on Wii.

Cheers

GAF! Please help me decide - do I grab this on Wii (motion controls) or 360/PS3 (HD, achievements/trophies)?

I'm leaning towards 360, but don't know if it plays better on the Wii, since the metacritic score is a good few points higher on Wii.

Cheers

360 would be the better choice, i'm not sure that there are motion controls in the wii game anyway and I can't see them bringing much benefit if they are indeed in, the metacritic being higher doesn't mean anything as it's still the same game, I just assume Nintendo reviewers like platformers a bit more.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some pleasing details on the Vita version, near functionality for the time trial and Relics stuff etc:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/01/25/why-rayman-origins-is-even-better-on-vita/

One of these new features revolves around a brand new collectible throughout the levels: Relics. These will unlock pieces of a large puzzle, a mosaic, that you can view along with the costumes you’ve unlocked in The Snoring Tree and assembling this mosaic will unlock videos that tell the story of Rayman’s roots and the history of the Glade of Dreams.

You’re even able to share your findings with friends through the Vita’s Near functionality, in the vein of StreetPass Puzzle Swap on the 3DS.

Another feature missing from the home console versions but making an appearance on Sony’s latest handheld is the Ghost mode; which acts as a race of sorts, throughout selected levels that you’ve completed. This removes certain obstacles which would prove annoying and pits Rayman against a spectral version of himself as you compete in order to get the fastest time against your previous best.

Your ghost and best times can then be shared with friends using the Gift mode, which harnesses Near – there’s even leaderboards, and although we weren’t able to see whether these were online or not, there’s no reason why they shouldn’t be.

Managed to nab this for a fiver on Amazon.co.uk...they still haven't cancelled my order so fingers crossed :)

Griegite

still a junior
I never in my life played a Rayman game and when I read all the praise on GAF, I was curious as I love platform games. It was GAF that got me into Super Meat Boy which I became obsessed with, so I decided to purchase Rayman Origina. GAF was right once again. The art is beautiful with the music being tuneful and wonderful. The gameplay is great and does remind me a bit of Super Meat Boy especially with not having to worry about lives. I realize I am a bit late to post but had to add my opinion as one who has never played a Rayman game. Are the old games worth checking out if I enjoyed origins?

Brashnir

I never in my life played a Rayman game and when I read all the praise on GAF, I was curious as I love platform games. It was GAF that got me into Super Meat Boy which I became obsessed with, so I decided to purchase Rayman Origina. GAF was right once again. The art is beautiful with the music being tuneful and wonderful. The gameplay is great and does remind me a bit of Super Meat Boy especially with not having to worry about lives. I realize I am a bit late to post but had to add my opinion as one who has never played a Rayman game. Are the old games worth checking out if I enjoyed origins?

I played some of the previous games and to be honest, I never really cared for them, but I love this one.

Your mileage may vary of course. I'm pretty sure Rayman and Rayman 2 are available on PSN for PS3/PSP.

Brashnir

More games need banjo music for treasure chest chasing levels.

That song will stick with me forever. It used to be that every time I heard a banjo, I thought of getting raped in the woods by some creepy guy. Now I think of chasing some stupid treasure chest through increasingly deadly obstacles.

mj1108

Definitely check out Rayman 2 (Dreamcast version if you can).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm hearing a few things from a good source about a PC version coming soon, for around $30. Nothing official so far though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hmm, intriguing. I would totally double dip on a PC version, or I guess triple dip if the 3DS port comes first.

Twice now I've come across some kind of small blue stone collectable in a bubble (similar to the hearts). Picking it up causes three small blue stones to follow me around. What are they?

EDIT: Never mind; if you get three, you can fire projectiles.

Man is this game really good. Seriously, its a ton of fun, and a blast on co-op.. Im curious, how bad were its sales? Like, bad enough that we wont see this style of rayman game continue? I would be very sad if that were so.

Brashnir

Man is this game really good. Seriously, its a ton of fun, and a blast on co-op.. Im curious, how bad were its sales? Like, bad enough that we wont see this style of rayman game continue? I would be very sad if that were so.

It sold ~50,000 in the November NPD, which is... pretty bad.

However, we don't know how price drops have affected its sales, or how much it cost to make. I understand it was done by a pretty small team, so it's not impossible that with price drops and good word of mouth, it could go on to turn a profit.

Whether or not it will make enough for them to create another remains to be seen. Perhaps with some asset re-use, a sequel could come in at an even lower budget.

Edgeward

Man I thought I was close to being done when they went and opened 5 new worlds. I was surprised a bit at that. Wish there were more Rayman costumes to unlock instead of those little guys everytime and zombie rayman is 200+ pink things. I said goddam.

"Final level"- DONE. Land of Livid Dead- DONE. Game- NOT DONE. I gotta get those Electoons man.

Fantastic game, easily one of my favourites of last year. Best 2D platformer I've played in forever. Just so much fun. Livid Dead was a fantastic capper to the experience, such a great test of one's prowess. Lovely.

Probably the best thing Ancel's ever done. Now I really want to see BG&E2.

edit: oh, this is in Community now? Fuck that, lol. Not like it was ever on first page much to begin with.

Yeah I was getting frustrated, especially since I knew that I had got to the end so many times only to muck it up. I started making even dumber mistakes earlier in the sequence. Missing the timing on that platforming sequence almost guarantees death down the road. The only place for major deviation from the winning pathway are at the very end - even then it couldn't be more than a full second of difference. I don't recall any Super Meat Boy light world level requiring this sort of precision - the last level required precision, yes, but not the timing like Rayman Origins does in this spot.

I bet if I looked at Youtube runs through that level they would be nearly identical. I've never played anything like it.

I'll go through a good portion of the rest of the game, I don't know that I will collect everything, but the challenge is there if I'm interested. The speedruns look really difficult in places, so I don't know if I would pursue those. Maybe once my gamerscore is over 500 I'll consider the game satisfactorily beaten. I'm not far now.

Nah, I'd say Origins is a notch below Meat Boy in terms of precision and difficulty if we're talking about A+'ing the light world. To 100% everything in Super Meat Boy is a huge degree harder than Origins, we won't even get into being competitive on the LB's. I'd even say DKCR was harder than Origins overall.

But I didn't have too much trouble with the final level, the speedrunning here is legitimately challenging though. I've got almost 3/4 of the levels done speedrunning them, and can't wait to do it again on PC.

RawPower

Banned
I loved this game to death. That's all I can say. The treasure chases were my favorite part. The last level had some excellent platforming too. Rayman 2 is still the king for me, though.

Just got all speed trophies in one sitting lol. Game is way more fun when speedrunning. My file is 100% but I have a few more misc. achievements to get - 920/1000G. My index finger is killing me from holding down RT. I know you can use the bumpers to sprint but that didn't feel right.

I'd even say DKCR was harder than Origins overall.

idk. For me, nothing in DKCR save for the Golden Temple and a few K levels came close to Rayman's many chase sequences. I still like DKCR a bit more than Rayman though.

My top 3 2D platformers of this gen

1. DKCR
2. Rayman Origins
3. Super Meat Boy

Bravo Ancel. I bought the game for $60 on launch week and got my money's worth.

RawPower

Banned
As far as which game is harder (that is, DKCR or Origins), I'd have to give it to Origins. It didn't take me long to master DKCR's challenges, but I'm still struggling with some of the later stages in Origins.

I found Origins much harder than DKCR. DKCR's temple stages were a bitch, but everything else? Standard modern-day Nintendo difficulty. Origins' was a constant bitch in the later levels. It's odd, because I found Origins to have much better controls than DKCR, and the levels better reflected this.

Super Meat Boy trumps both easily in terms of difficulty. And quality too. SMB > Rayman > DKCR, for me.

To be fair maybe I'm lumping my time and experiences getting all the Shiny Gold's in DKCR in with overall difficulty. In that sense I found it much harder than a lot of Origins' stuff, even some of SMB's stuff. Not to mention the frustration of exiting back to the map every time you screw up a time attack...

1000/1000G. Oh yeah.

DKCR and Rayman seemed to focus on different aspects of challenge in their hardest stages. While DKCR went for more methodical precision (Jagged Jewels, Red Red Rising, Flutter Flyaway, Golden Temple), Rayman focused on more reflex-based challenges (every chase sequence). Just different flavors of platforming.

I suppose my main complaint with Rayman is the length of levels, in context of trying to collect 300 lums. Levels occasionally feel like they drag on. Not a problem when going for speed trophies, and the game is far more enjoyable because of it. My final grade would be something like an 8.5/10 when playing the game normally, and a 9.5/10 when going for speed trophies. But then again I'm not into the collectathon style of 2D platformer. Probably why I don't like Yoshi's Island all that much.

Edgeward

Yes, I wished they lowered the requirements on each tier of completing a level with the lums. It doesn't serve the game well when you make it your main objective to go for 350.

Also chase levels that include swimming. Fuck that. Controls for them work fine in any other contrast other than speedrunning. Still haven't encountered a water level in a game I like though.

1 and a half worlds to go, hoping to finish it this weekend. Game is still a blast

Edit - goddam, nothing in the rest of the game could prepare for the last level. The fucking kept going and going, and had the most challenging levels of each aspect of the game. The chase part in particular gave me more fits than the first 9 treasure levels. Totally awesome once you beat it though. Definitely top 3 of 2011 games for me.

This game definitely flows better than Sonic. When you are going fast in Sonic you often hit a wall or enemy that will halt your flow through the level. This is where I've always felt Sonic has been broken at it's core and can never change without changing the fundamentals of Sonic's gameplay.

In this version of Rayman, you can feel a little like Jackie Chan because you are going at a good enough speed that you can see and react to what is ahead of you. This makes it easy to slide down a slope, jump and grab hold of a rope, flip on to a bounce pad and boost in the air, hit the ground running and jump in to another similar combo with ease and without breaking stride.

RawPower

Banned
Also chase levels that include swimming. Fuck that. Controls for them work fine in any other contrast other than speedrunning. Still haven't encountered a water level in a game I like though.

During that level, I always had to pause the game to re-adjust my thumb. It would always slip into an extremely uncomfortable position due to all the turning that level, and in particular the swimming, requires.

ced

Oh man fuck "The Reveal". I finally made it past the first part of it, after at least 50 or more tries. There have been a few difficult parts that require many tries, but nothing like that, they really went too far on it. I had to use the dpad, the stick will screw up the wall running.

ced

Wow going to the community forum is a death sentence for an OT.

I didn't realize "The Reveal" was the last level, so now we've beaten it. Really enjoyed it, more so than any 2D platformer I can remember.

I think I noticed a problem with game development now though. The credits are ridiculous, at least 15 mins of way too many people involved in the game. I know most are just listed but still, way too many hands in the cookie jar. No wonder they cost an insane amount to develop and then flop at a high $60 price.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Just 1000/1000'ed it. I'm missing one ribbon on the Bird Boss, but don't care enough to get it.

Game was great, lots of fun. I had a few minor complaints with inconsistencies in controls due to the wall run (angle of jump off of wall, retaining momentum following a wall to wall jump) and attacking. Noticed a couple annoying bugs as well, but nothing major. Biggest complaint would probably be the bosses. For the most part they were annoying and required complete memorization of their attack patterns.

The way checkpoints were handled were great, they certainly minimized the frustrations when trying to get 350+ lums as I could just replay a small section if I missed a couple.

I started playing this last night, I cried tears of joy at how beautiful it was. My 2d HD plat former fantasies came true, now all I need in a 2d fighter (not blaze blu) and 2d beat em up of the same 2d quality

All I can say this game is amazing. I don't have a lot time during Monday-Friday but I got it on Monday and now I played already about 19hours.
Trying to beat the Land Of Livid Dead right now.
it's such a freaking awesome level. I'll definitely get the 1000GS.

Because of the sales I can't hope for new worlds/levels via DLC? :(

Top Bottom