• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
World S in Mario Galaxy 2 is hard!

I'm close to losing my temper here!

fZ5BH.gif

RawPower

Banned
The difficulty in SMG 2 was way too high in many parts, for my taste. I don't remember any of the names of the stages, so I can't vent my anger at them. Curse you, poor memory.

Haha, was that the only time you've donated blood?

I gave blood a few months ago at a park event. The nurses wouldn't let me leave after the required 15 minutes because of how pale I looked, but I assured them I was just as pale when I walked in.

I think I can give again now actually.

The fact that many people seem to legitimately enjoy brutal difficulty can only lead me to infer that I am surrounded by masochists.

I'll do this in first person shooters that have satisfying AI. Halo CE on legendary is still one of my favorite single player experiences ever. The first play through takes a lot of patience.

RawPower

Banned
The fact that many people seem to legitimately enjoy brutal difficulty can only lead me to infer that I am surrounded by masochists.

Puddles

Banned
Halo is meant to be played on Legendary, although Jackal snipers should have killed in two hits instead of one. Too much trial and error in those sections.

Halo 2 on Legendary (aside from the Jackal sniper sections) is absolutely perfect gameplay.

Walk into a room, sticky grenade two elites, drop two more with the n00b combo, headshot every grunt. Fucking brilliant.

RawPower

Banned
truth. I don't get it. I always think of it as a cover for shit gameplay, story etc. and gamers gobble it up.

Yup. I rarely find myself having fun when a game is that hard. I'm like 'what's the point'? Am I just going to repeat the same fucking stage ad nauseum until I get a blood clot in my frontal lobe? I have better things to do than torture myself.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jackal snipers
*walk into an area*
Hmm, seems like a straightforward two-level assault I can-*BZZT*

*respawn, get to the same spot*

Ah okay, there might be a sniper around here somewhere, I'll start by going up this ramp*BZZT*

*respawn, get to the same spot*

Okay, maybe down this corridor this time instead... YES, I'm still alive! Now where could that that sniper be*BZZT*

The amount of difficulty I can stand is proportionally related to how much I am enjoying myself and whether or not I can improve my skills to pass something.

I always found Mega Man difficulty (especially the Zero games) to be fantastic because it encouraged me to just plain get better.

But, like, insane in Gears of War 3 isn't fun because if one person dies then it's game over and I don't have control over what my co-op partner does.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's funny. Overtly high difficultly in games without difficulty choices can sort of annoy the crap out of me, and does make me start to suspect poor design.

However when games do offer difficulty choices I always pick the highest one initially available and assume it's how the game is meant to be played.

RawPower

Banned
I always start with the easiest setting, and then work my way up. Once it starts to piss me off, I retreat to the easier settings.

RawPower

Banned
It's funny. Overtly high difficultly in games without difficulty choices can sort of annoy the crap out of me, and does make me start to suspect poor design.

However when games do offer difficulty choices I always pick the highest one initially available and assume it's how the game is meant to be played.

It's because "oh no, this game isn't bad, you just suck lolz!" is a convenient excuse for poor or even outright broken game design.

Puddles

Banned
EDF 2017 on Inferno is ridiculous. Fucking spiders killing you with bukkake in five seconds, having to troll old levels for weapons and armor that might give you a fighting chance... fuck that shit.

ugh, this pisses me off to no end. If the game was meant to be played that way, then have that be the initial setting.

EDF 2017 on Inferno is ridiculous. Fucking spiders killing you with bukkake in five seconds, having to troll old levels for weapons and armor that might give you a fighting chance... fuck that shit.

In fairness, Inferno is the hardest setting.

It's not like that's the default expectation. It 's there for people who want to play on it and it's better for co-op partners.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ugh, this pisses me off to no end. If the game was meant to be played that way, then have that be the initial setting.
Um, what are you talking about? Would you mind clarifying a little bit?

Bayonetta for example is absolutely designed and intended to be played on NSIC difficulty and once you've got the skill, it's the most fun the game offers. However this choice isn't even a selectable one out of the gate, nor is Hard. The available choices are Very Easy, Easy, and Normal. So I chose Normal. If hard was an option from the start, I'd have picked hard. Honestly the way they did it is pretty brilliant- by not making the higher difficulties available, you get a lot of breathing room on your first playthrough to learn the mechanics and feel confident going into Hard. Then Hard provides a consistent challenge throughout and you really have to ramp up your skill. By the time you start NSIC the previous modes will feel "easy" in comparison.

I don't get what you mean by "the initial setting." I'm referring to two kinds of games that have no difficulty options at all, and those that have you select a difficulty when starting a new game. Games that have a default setting and then allow you to change the difficulty slider at any time throughout (a la Skyrim) are an entirely different beast, although I'm glad I set Skyrim to the highest difficulty immediately as well.

I don't think I've cried that much in like 3 years. Now off to work.
Oh man, are you alright?

It's very clear that Ninja Gaiden 2 was not properly play-tested on Master Ninja.
That's extremely annoying... I am finding the "high" difficulty choice at the start of NG2 (Warrior?) to be fair and a little on the easy side for a first playthrough, considering there was nothing tougher available. If the highest difficulty in a game isn't properly playtested it can become a simple exercise in masochism.

Um, what are you talking about? Would you mind clarifying a little bit?

Bayonetta for example is absolutely designed and intended to be played on NSIC difficulty and once you've got the skill, it's the most fun the game offers. However this choice isn't even a selectable one out of the gate, nor is Hard. The available choices are Very Easy, Easy, and Normal. So I chose Normal. If hard was an option from the start, I'd have picked hard. Honestly the way they did it is pretty brilliant- by not making the higher difficulties available, you get a lot of breathing room on your first playthrough to learn the mechanics and feel confident going into Hard. Then Hard provides a consistent challenge throughout and you really have to ramp up your skill. By the time you start NSIC the previous modes will feel "easy" in comparison.

I don't get what you mean by "the initial setting." I'm referring to two kinds of games that have no difficulty options at all, and those that have you select a difficulty when starting a new game. Games that have a default setting and then allow you to change the difficulty slider at any time throughout (a la Skyrim) are an entirely different beast, although I'm glad I set Skyrim to the highest difficulty immediately as well.
He's probably referring to stuff like Halo where it says "This is how the game is meant to be played" at difficulty selection but there is still an Easy, Normal, Hard, etc. below it.

Yeah. I've always meant to donate more but I never get around to it.

Doooo iiiiiiit!

Seriously, the oreos and juice just keep tasting better and better each time!

edit: My employer makes it easy on me, because they have in-campus blood drives, so I can just maliciously lord it over all my friends when I want to gibe them.
Haven't really done that yet, but it's a potential weapon in my arsenal!

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I've played games that most people consider hard, like Demon's/Dark Souls that have no difficulty settings and didn't find them hard at all but I still always choose to play on normal difficulty if there is a choice available.

Getting ready to leave for the memorial. Feeling surprisingly at peace today, I was kind of an emotional wreck yesterday. Gonna be a long day.

Oh no, sorry to hear about your co-worker, feel better soon. *hug* :(

Going to be picking up one or possibly two new cats tonight.

Adorable pictures to follow

YAY! :D Waiting for the pics impatiently!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've played games that most people consider hard, like Demon's/Dark Souls that have no difficulty settings and didn't find them hard at all but I still always choose to play on normal difficulty if there is a choice available.
You didn't find Demon's or Dark Souls hard at all?

Acid08

Banned
Normal is where it's at for first playthroughs of most games. Not into making things artificially harder right from the get go unless it's painfully easy or not interesting enough. Halo games would be examples of that.

Karl2177

Normal is where it's at for first playthroughs of most games. Not into making things artificially harder right from the get go unless it's painfully easy or not interesting enough. Halo games would be examples of that.

I usually Heroic it up on Halo. But most other games I go in on Normal.

Yeah I feel ok. All part of the healing process I guess.

That's really good, dude. When my friend died I went into a state of complete shock and it ate at me like crazy. You can look back to the moment you let it all out as you officially reacting/dealing with your loss.

Without that, the best you can do is try to forget, and that's worse of the two from my experience

Karkador

Banned
the Souls games aren't extraordinarily difficult in terms of playing skill..they kind of get a false bad rap for being impossible games, but they're not; they're more about having patience and dealing with the penalties of dying. Even then, there are games that do this harsher.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
the Souls games aren't extraordinarily difficult in terms of playing skill;
Wouldn't you say this depends dramatically on playing style? There are a pretty wide variety of ways to get through the games.

I feel like playing a thief that doesn't use a shield and relies a lot on dodging, parry and riposte took a look of practice to get good at, and I don't think I suck. It was a lot of fun developing my skill in playing the character I wanted to, and I think it was a real challenge.

Apparently using mainly ranged attacks makes things a lot easier all around but I just never rolled that way.

they're more about having patience and dealing with the penalties of dying.
Well, this is true. More than anything they demand caution and wariness of one's surroundings. As a result, the feeling of barely scraping past a boss fight or tricky segment of a level is incredibly rewarding. Man I love them.

Even then, there are games that do this harsher.
I concede that of course... there are far more difficult games, but I could never say in good conscience that they aren't hard at all.

Woah woah woah did Puddles say that SMG didn't look that good?

Woah.

Also there's some games which do really hard really well, like Super Meat Boy and Rayman, but a lot of them I just get bored really quickly. I don't tend to get annoyed anymore, just...bored.

I think Galaxy is a weaker game that 64 at least. It's an alright game on it's own though.

I think my ordering of 3D Marios is SMG2 >= 64 (not sure) > SMG > Sunshine.

But I still love Sunshine.

Also, I'm gonna have to hide after this post, but I've never thought the 2D Marios, outside of Super Mario World, were really that great.

RawPower

Banned
Woah woah woah did Puddles say that SMG didn't look that good?

Woah.

Also there's some games which do really hard really well, like Super Meat Boy and Rayman, but a lot of them I just get bored really quickly. I don't tend to get annoyed anymore, just...bored.

Rayman 1 drove me to the cusp of sheer madness. One of the most painful experiences ever, for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom