• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* I need to whine about Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth. Especially in regard to its writing.

wvnative

Both of you are actually the most immature and insecure people I have seen on this forum.

"Bitchiest whiners"
"Poo pooing it to the tons of people who loved it"

Negative opinions can coexist with positive opinions, in places where adults are a part of. Nobody is attacking you for liking the game, but you are attacking people for not liking it.

And if both of you weren't humongous, whining, insecure pussies, someone "poo pooing" your darling, wouldn't at all bother you. It would just be a new perspective, that you disagree with, that nobody is forcing you to agree with.

In this same thread, there are people agreeing with OP, and people sharing their POSITIVE opinion on the game. Which should be okay, and you can discuss with these people.

And if you believe fans of a certain series should always lick the ground that a studio walks on, and always love everything that comes out, and not be open about their negative feelings on a piece of SUBJECTIVE ART, you are not a fan, you are a loyalist.

A really immature one at that.

I'm the most open person you will meet, I have zero issues with people not liking what I like or having a different opinion. Discussion is great. And I have made posts talking about how I actually think Rebirth has been overrated by fans just because of it's structure coming the closest to the classic games, and how I personally enjoyed Remake more for various reasons. My post wasn't intended to shit on people who dislike any game.

I probably could have worded my post differently, my issue is that in every FF discussion online, you get a flood of unproductive outright hateful comments that just get tiring to read in every thread. So many "X game/ff is utter garbage, fuck square-enix" type comments. My issue is that it never seems that all the hate is coming from adults, but internet trolls. It's simply exhausting.

And no, nobody should lick the ground of any studio, but so many fandoms turn into toxic communities when a series becomes divisive.

ZehDon

Hey, if you played Remake and stuck around for Rebirth, that's on you. Remake was, largely, pretty fucking awful.

sigmaZ

The funniest part is they made the grunts and sighs louder and more obnoxious in the English dub compared to the original Japanese.

Someone was like “these grunts and sighs might sound weird to the western audience, we need to really crank them up to 11 otherwise the subtlety might be lost on gaijin ears”
Yeah. I don't get that. I played in straight Japanese, and that really didn't stand out to me that much.

I haven’t played the game but got interested in reading diverse opinions about it.

I feel like most of the complaints are legitimate (open world padding, anime fan service and writing, too much mini games…).

I BET for part 3, they will launch the entire collection while remaking part 1 and 2.

They will redo the part in part 1 and 2 that were criticized : so less padding, skippable mid bosses cutscenes, less mandatory mini games.
Basically trim the fat from those first 2 parts and redo the progression system entirely, so you can start from the beginning and experience the entire FF7 story in one game.

That’s why I haven’t bought any of the remakes.

Square isn't going to do anything with the earlier games. Mainly because it's not worth the effort.

Part 3 may very well be a super linear 15 chapter, 30 hour game... but that's Part 3.

I've never touched either Remake chapter. I got the first from PS Plus and still haven't touched it. The OG is one of my fave games and to see the rewrites and fanfic thrown in turned me off completely. If you're going to remake a game, remake it. Don't do a reimagining and try to get more sales by calling it a remake.

I mean, beside the story changes with zack and stuff. Pretty faithful with the goofy and dark tones in the game. I enjoy it. Lot more compare to remake.

I think I’ve had enough time to digest my experience with the game. I’ll eventually replay it, but after my first playthrough, my thoughts on the game lean negatively. I feel like I played a different game from a lot of people.

1. You can tell that the writers are making things up as they go along. I’ll get to this later.

2. The game was way too silly, every NPC comes across like they just overdosed on party drugs. We already have Yuffie who never shuts up, a talking robot Scottish cat who rides a fat moogle, and a talking dog. So why is every NPC super eccentric? Why did Gilgamesh get like literally HALF AN HOUR of cutscenes dedicated to him?

3. The ending was a disgrace. Make a decision and stick to it. And at this point can someone PLEASE tell this team to stop it with the “endings written to generate theory discussions”? We all know by now that these endings largely mean absolutely nothing and lots of loose threads or ideas will be thrown out the window by the next game. Nomura-directed games are the most guilty of this, but CBU1 in general is guilty of this (see: XIII-2, Remake, Intergrade).

Disgrace is putting it lightly. It's sad really.

If anything was very silly about OG VII, the writers were faithful to it.

Anything involving Sephiroth clones was impossible to take seriously. Like why is this something that they chose to be faithful about? I mean it’s absolutely silly that they were able to board the ship to Costa Del Sol.

Zack and anything involving the other “world/dimension/etc.” amounted to cheap fanservice because of course.

The whispers were changed to fit into this new vision they had for the story post-Remake, because of course.

The alternate dimensions are written in a way where the writers can easily write themselves out of a corner no matter what direction they choose to go in with Part 3 (because they definitely did not decide in advance) because they are hacks and cowards.

I’m pretty sure there was even an interview stating that they’ll decide what direction to go in in Part 3 based on the feedback of Part 2 but don’t quote me on that.

4. Outside of the writing, the open world tasks were repetitive and didn’t feel organic whatsoever. I personally got very burnt out of the open world stuff once I got to Cosmo Canyon, but luckily Nibelheim’s short and sweet open world section was IMO the best in the game.

Also, Cloud’s movement in the overworld felt very stiff and robotic. But I’ve seen practically no one mention this. It doesn’t feel good.

Materia customization is still cumbersome.

I would have to revisit the game and probably be very selective with what silly sidequests I decide to complete, but I feel like I played a different game from everyone else.

Is there a lot of variety in the gameplay? Yeah. Did I find some of the mini games actually really well-made and fun? Yeah. But the writing was god awful and it actively made me angry and the game was way too long and bloated and the open world wasn’t fun to traverse and did not feel organic whatsoever.

Also please stop with the non-skippable mid-battle cutscenes.

There were lots of great and beautiful moments, but the ending was kind of the straw that broke the camel’s back for me.

I’m just so upset with the direction they’ve gone in for this Remake series. I was all aboard the “unknown journey” train (despite the last couple of chapters in Remake being pretty sloppy) only for them to backtrack like total cowards in the sloppiest way.

I don’t have faith in them magically course correcting and ending things in a well-written fashion in Part 3, because there’s no indication from prior installments that they’re capable of doing so.

Thank you
The story is just garbage honestly, they really couldn't help themselves but to drag the legacy of this amazing game into the mud with their fantasy fanfic interpretation. The game itself, the core gameplay (combat etc) I like and feel like they made improvements but they continue to barrel down this garbage alternate reality/whatever it is path. It's yucky and disappointing, but I knew it would be after playing "Remake".

Re: The Length... both game's completion % is not that bad by industry standards given the length.

Remake: 86% Win a battle... 37% Complete Chapter 18
Rebirth: 91% Win a battle... 40% Complete Chapter 14

The trophy associated with completing FF16's main story is 49%.

Salmonboy

Worst game of the forever! I HATED it. It's a low quality high budget game. It's just a hub for outdated minigames. It's mediocre at best!

Variahunter

Square isn't going to do anything with the earlier games. Mainly because it's not worth the effort.

Part 3 may very well be a super linear 15 chapter, 30 hour game... but that's Part 3.
They will though.
Not much work to rebalance the entire trilogy to make it one final experience. Meaning characters will grow exp from part 1 to part 3 like the original game.

People who played the parts separately will buy it to get the final and complete experience. And also because they’re fans. And they will also get people who wanted a complete experience since the release of part 1 on board.

All of that for minor costs for SE.
Believe me in 2028-2029 (plus the inevitable rerelease on PS6 of the definitive edition) it will happen.

Last edited:
Negative opinions can coexist with positive opinions, in places where adults are a part of. Nobody is attacking you for liking the game, but you are attacking people for not liking it.
Did you even read my reply. I said it’s completely okay for not liking the game, as tastes are different. What I am not okay with, is to create a new threat and whining about it. How many threats about Rebirth are already here, why not posting in one of them?

Do you really want that Neogaf only consists mainly of two treats:
- I really like…
- I don’t like….

They will though.
Not much work to rebalance the entire trilogy to make it one final experience. Meaning characters will grow exp from part 1 to part 3 like the original game.

Even if they were to not remove any of the Main Story content from any of the games... it'd be a substantial effort just in enemy rebalancing. Remake has a level cap of 50... Rebirth starts at 15. Materia definitions are different; you have the new Synergy abilities. They are different games; they were designed to be different games.

They'll do a bundle of all three games and call it a day.

Another A budget level remaster of the OG is possible, I suppose.

Last edited:

wvnative

Even if they were to not remove any of the Main Story content from any of the games... it'd be a substantial effort just in enemy rebalancing. Remake has a level cap of 50... Rebirth starts at 15. Materia definitions are different; you have the new Synergy abilities. They are different games; they were designed to be different games.

Not just enemy and stat rebalancing but Part 1 would need serious reworking to reimplement Part 2 and 3's updated mechanics and encounter design.

Cao Cao

This game is garbage, I did not play it myself but watching my gf play it, and seeing it kinda destroyed the OG for me now.
Everytime I play the OG I have to think about these garbage Rebirth Characters, Aeris with her mental handwaving acting like a child, every NPC on drugs being happy. Corel Prison being a happy tourist spot, no desolate depressing prison without hope.

I despise this game so much, the world feels tiny as fuck, like you can run from Kalm to Junon in an hour. Small World.
They should have done like FF12 and use bigger but closed Zones to give the Impression there is more out there.
I wish I could delete this game from my memory, I learned my lesson and will watch NOTHING from part 3.

Boneless

Put about 60 hours in but didnt finish it, so dragged out. Watched the ending on youtube and as expected it was terrible.

Its like what Disney did to Star Wars.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The game is so campy, it was hard go take any of it seriously. FF VII has silly moments but this game barely took itself seriously.

Variahunter

Substantial. You said it. For the amount of people that love complete experiences... I'm sure all the fans would double dip, with all the people who didn't play the parts (like me).

They're absolutely not different lol. It's an incremental evolution at best. It might take a bit of effort to balance it, but the ROI would absolutely be positive. Easily.

And add the collector's edition they would once again make at a forbidden price, which fans would easily buy to have the complete and definitive edition, and it's a good cow well milked.

But I'm sure they would do a bundle with the 3 parts first, then 1 or 2 year later do the complete experience, that's SE we're talking about :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They will though.

People who played the parts separately will buy it to get the final and complete experience. And also because they’re fans. And they will also get people who wanted a complete experience since the release of part 1 on board.

All of that for minor costs for SE.
Believe me in 2028-2029 (plus the inevitable rerelease on PS6 of the definitive edition) it will happen.
You have no idea what you’re talking about

Synless

I really want to see a top six, past two year list of games for some of you. The takes here on this game in the negative are really a sight to behold.

Top Bottom