• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

AKS

sarcastor said:
use dead eye to shoot them.

the real question is how the fuck am I suppose to kill 2 cougars with my knife when they are just sooo freaking fast?

I just did this today, and I was surprised how easy it was, which I'm sure was a lucky break for the most part. It missed an attack, and I started wailing on it. It ran away, so I got on my horse and chased it down. I was very aggressive. Bad kitty! The other one killed my horse, but I jumped up and started attacking it immediately. It doesn't take many swipes to kill it. Maybe around 3 or 4 I think. Try equipping the knife and using your horse to charge as close as possible and jump off swinging like mad.

Damn it! Wanted to do all US gang hideouts in 24h for the Marshall outfit, died once after completing 3 hideouts, so I had to wait a few days to start again. Made it in time! No outfit! Looking a guide up, had to do one specifically mission before :(

Do I have to win arm wrestling or horseshoes with a specific bet, so it is stated towards the 100%?

Gribbix

bathala said:
So anyone disarmed the Blackwater Stranger
Harry Thornton
?
That's the guy who got the maid pregnant, right? If so, I tried to target his hand twice but the game wouldn't allow it.

bathala

Banned
Gribbix said:
That's the guy who got the maid pregnant, right? If so, I tried to target his hand twice but the game wouldn't allow it.
yeah, well that sucks. I was wondering if there's an alternate route

Timber

Truelize said:
I had no trouble finding cougars near Fort Mercer and Repentance Rock. Almost every time I rode through that area I would hear them growl.

And knifing them wasn't anywhere near as hard as I thought it would be. Just aim and spam. Good luck.
Ah thanks, I'll try running around Repentance Rock for a bit.

Man I suck at 5 finger fillet. Also, I'm starting to think Mexico is dragging on a bit. I thinks that's because I've put more than 24 hours in so far though.

So, first copy of the game was defective, had freezing errors. Second copy, similar. After looking at the disc the retailer gave me back, I tell him, dude, it's clearly defective. Look at it, it's fucked. Dude tells me, naw man, they're all like that.

So tell me Gaf, is this weird black marking normal? Cuz I don't think it is and I'm pretty close to going back there and freaking out.

123.jpg

Loxley

berserk_ftw said:
Do I have to win arm wrestling or horseshoes with a specific bet, so it is stated towards the 100%?

Pretty sure you don't, I just think you just have to win, that's all. I always went for the lowest bet possible and had no problems making the games count towards my 100%.

Inferno313 said:
Just curious, as I never played Revolver, were there any references or characters to that game? Spoiler tag if necessary.

Sitting by the campfire, I heard tell of a dangerous lady outlaw who ran a gang; she went by the name Bad Bessie. That there, the boss from Rogue Valley in Revolver, is the only reference I've encountered.

Yeef

Just finished the story. I was expecting the game to end after you killed
Dutch
. The extra bit after that was a welcomed surprise. I am curious though:
is it possible to, if not kill all of the guys outside of the barn then at least kill Ross there?

Gribbix

DraculaDillenger said:
Sitting by the campfire, I heard tell of a dangerous lady outlaw who ran a gang; she went by the name Bad Bessie. That there, the boss from Rogue Valley in Revolver, is the only reference I've encountered.
I came across this one as well as another campfire tale that essentially summarized the entire story of Red Dead Revolver.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeef said:
Just finished the story. I was expecting the game to end after you killed
Dutch
. The extra bit after that was a welcomed surprise. I am curious though:
is it possible to, if not kill all of the guys outside of the barn then at least kill Ross there?

Nope. He's the first one I targeted, but the crosshair turns blue, indicating he's someone you can't shoot. Which makes sense as his part in the story isn't done yet. Keep going. You haven't finished the story.

Mojojo

AKS said:
I just did this today, and I was surprised how easy it was, which I'm sure was a lucky break for the most part. It missed an attack, and I started wailing on it. It ran away, so I got on my horse and chased it down. I was very aggressive. Bad kitty! The other one killed my horse, but I jumped up and started attacking it immediately. It doesn't take many swipes to kill it. Maybe around 3 or 4 I think. Try equipping the knife and using your horse to charge as close as possible and jump off swinging like mad.

I found it nearly impossible to kill cougars
or bears :)
with the knife only. Until i found out you only need to do the killing stroke with the knife... So what i did is hurt them bad with a small power gun in the backside or legs, and their attack behaviour change : they are far less bold and some even cower, then its time to gut them with the knife :D

Yeef

Seraphis Cain said:
Nope. He's the first one I targeted, but the crosshair turns blue, indicating he's someone you can't shoot. Which makes sense as his part in the story isn't done yet. Keep going. You haven't finished the story.
I'm pretty sure I have considering it went to the credits and I got the trophy :p

Other than loading up the old missions is there anyway to
go back to playing as John
?

Klocker

ShockingAlberto said:
Speaking of, 20 some odd hours in the game, I could really stand to lose the skinning animation.

don't know if this has been addressed already but walk up to a dead animal on your horse and stop directly over it and dismount. the skin animal prompt will display but when you hit it, it just gives you credits with no animation. jump back on horse. :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeef said:
I'm pretty sure I have considering it went to the credits and I got the trophy :p

Other than loading up the old missions is there anyway to
go back to playing as John
?

Then why'd you ask
if you can shoot Ross?
If you've gotten the credits you obviously know you can't because
Jack kills him.
:lol

Unless there's some other way to get the credits I'm completely unaware of. >_>

Dead

well not really...yet
what the hell. Right before I saved and quit my game, I saw a pack of Wolves, Coyotes and Bobcats all walking together peacefully in a pack in the middle of a settlement...:lol

Yeef

Seraphis Cain said:
Then why'd you ask
if you can shoot Ross?
If you've gotten the credits you obviously know you can't because
Jack kills him.
:lol

Unless there's some other way to get the credits I'm completely unaware of. >_>
I had a bit of a brain fart during that whole scene and didn't actually shoot anyone. I didn't feel like going back to replay it, but I was curious if it was possible and gave an alternate ending.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Killed my first cougar yesterday. Heard the infamous "rawrr" from my left backspeaker, so I made a run for it, cougar caught up with me, knocked me off my horse, badly injured, so I decided to pull my Vulcanic Pistol en drop that pussy with the help of Dead Eye.

Owh and I received
Obscuridad del Santo Andres
from a nun in Armadillo. Made me LOL.

Loxley said:
Pretty sure you don't, I just think you just have to win, that's all. I always went for the lowest bet possible and had no problems making the games count towards my 100%.

Then I don't know, why it states only 4 mini-games won in the stats menu. Won in every game at least one time. Even got my earnings in BlackJack from negative to positive, thought that that maybe was the problem, it was not.

Will try winning the other games a few more times, but still weird.

Also tried the trophy for 5000$ bounty and get away with a pardon letter! FUN FUN FUN! :lol

loved how you get a
fucked up dark horse
after your honor level dropped to a specific low level.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Yes. Depending on the order you do the quests, the story can seem a little weird.

Yeah it sure can.
Ricketts was scolding me for playing both sides when I had only done missions for the rebels at that stage.

SamuraiX-

Quick question about a stranger mission:

I found the stranger "I Know You" mission. I arrived in Thieves Landing and found his drunk friend. It says that I can either encourage him or discourage him... Does the story change depending on which option I choose? I would go look in a guide, but I heard somebody else mention on here that this mission involves spoilers from the main story, so... help? :D

Yeef

SamuraiX- said:
Quick question about a stranger mission:

I found the stranger "I Know You" mission. I arrived in Thieves Landing and found his drunk friend. It says that I can either encourage him or discourage him... Does the story change depending on which option I choose? I would go look in a guide, but I heard somebody else mention on here that this mission involves spoilers from the main story, so... help? :D
I'm not positive, but I think it changes that stranger's story a bit. The strangers don't affect the main story, but you meet that guy a few more times. When I met him the second time he made a comment about
me not having an issue with killing people, but having an issue with infidelity. I'm guessing that bit of dialogue changes, but I doubt the overall story for that stranger does.

SamuraiX-

Yeef said:
I'm not positive, but I think it changes that stranger's story a bit. The strangers don't affect the main story, but you meet that guy a few more times. When I met him the second time he made a comment about
me not having an issue with killing people, but having an issue with infidelity. I'm guessing that bit of dialogue changes, but I doubt the overall story for that stranger does.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the help, bro. If it doesn't affect the main plot, then I'll try to peek in a guide for any other possible info.

Thanks again. ;)

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Pro-tip: never try three missions at once. Had a bounty near Tumbleweed, a Strangermission in Tumbleweed and the
"Rescue the Sherrif"
-sidequest popped up as well. Long story short: I got attacked from all sides.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
neorej said:
Pro-tip: never try three missions at once. Had a bounty near Tumbleweed, a Strangermission in Tumbleweed and the
"Rescue the Sherrif"

:lol I have had some chaotic moments in this game too. I think I was doing a bounty mission. Had the bounty on my horse to bring him to the jail. I ride over a hill and directly into the back of a stage coach. Stage coach was one of those ambush ones that pop up with the chick asking for help. I got destroyed. 4 guys chasing me and 4 other guys directly in front of me. I didn't even get a chance to take a shot. And the game let them all unload a decent amount of bullets on me. All I could do was laugh.

As much as Free Roam is missing the mark on its full potential, when you get a good group of people, man it works. The sheer atmosphere, and great sounding guns, and Euphoria physics make for a good time. Just spent about 4 hours in a Free Roam, and ended off having a Sniper Battle in the plains. Fun times.

storl026

Does anyone know where I can find a good video of
the first time you enter Mexico with the sun rising and the song playing
?

I forgot to leave a save before this part.

Trickster

Just got the game, played a few hours so far. Absolutely amazing so far, attention to details are mindboggling.

But I find it annoying that whenever I use the dead eye slowmotion stuff, it just automatically starts marking people whenever I aim at them, is it possible to make it stop doing that?

Trickster said:
Just got the game, played a few hours so far. Absolutely amazing so far, attention to details are mindboggling.

But I find it annoying that whenever I use the dead eye slowmotion stuff, it just automatically starts marking people whenever I aim at them, is it possible to make it stop doing that?
That's Dead Eye 2, Dead Eye 3 lets you mark what you want, you'll get it later in the story - DE2 is a slightly annoying downgrade over 1 in that regard, I accidentally shot far too many horses with DE2.

Haunted

bathala said:
yeah, well that sucks. I was wondering if there's an alternate route
Nope.

Rockstar made sure that most of the stranger missions end on a sad/depressing note. :lol

Opus Angelorum said:
Can you cancel the dead eye though, if you mark incorrectly?
Yup, press RS again to end it without firing (also works during the execution to only fire the shots up to a specific mark).

SamuraiX-

Man, fuck Blackjack in this game. The whole statistics system they incorporated is completely fucked. The dealer gets blackjack every time he has an Ace and WTF at busting out 7 times in a row for me when having anything between 12 and 15!?

I know the game is based nearly 100% on luck, but for shit's sake. I found the best strategy is to just say "fuck it" and keep betting 25 chips per turn and double down as often as possible.

Dries

So are there really 40+ animals in the game? I've so far encounterd 18 and I'm still in New Austin. I just can't believe they would have so many animals in the game..

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
neorej said:
"Rescue the Sherrif"

i second this notion..also what i learned at the exact mission you mentioned is to not trust npc's that you have to help..man they just LOVE running ahead and getting themselves killed.

JoeBoy101

Snapshot King said:
So, first copy of the game was defective, had freezing errors. Second copy, similar. After looking at the disc the retailer gave me back, I tell him, dude, it's clearly defective. Look at it, it's fucked. Dude tells me, naw man, they're all like that.

So tell me Gaf, is this weird black marking normal? Cuz I don't think it is and I'm pretty close to going back there and freaking out.

123.jpg

I'm sorry dude. On launch day, my disc had a similar mark. On GAF's advice I went back and swapped it out for another and it had the same mark. I lied my ass off to the dude that it wasn't working because I hadn't tried it, but given your experience, apparently I was right. I eventually got a working copy on the last one they had.

How long have you had it? Even opened, you should be able to do an exchange for same thing.

Dries said:
So are there really 40+ animals in the game? I've so far encounterd 18 and I'm still in New Austin. I just can't believe they would have so many animals in the game..

Well, I've had:

Rattlesnakes
Cougars
Bobcats
Skunks
Raccoons
Foxes
Armadillos
Rabbits
Deer
Bucks
Dogs
Coyotes
Wolves
Boar
Cows
Bulls
Hawks
Vultures
Eagles
Crows
Goats
Mules
Donkeys

I know there is also:

Buffalo
Bears
Beavers
Bighorn Sheep

And this combined with the numerous types of Horses (over 20), then yeah. Around 40+.

Haunted

leng jai said:
Do you ever get to dual wield in this game? I'm well into Mexico and haven't seen it.
Real gunslingers would never dual wield since it completely destroys accuracy.
/cheap justification.

TTG

I was disappointed by the first bear encounter, seemed like a beefed up cougar... then I figured out what makes them tougher. Fuckers don't stop coming. I downed about 4 and started to walk away when the fifth got me.

BeeDog

Mega-:lol at (Reyes mission spoiler)
the sex scene. Seems R* don't give a shit about all the Hot Coffee criticism and went all out here with the details.

Top Bottom