• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
just went to Mexico ..some thoughts

- freaking awesome so far , R* San Digo learned from R8 North's mistakes.

- JM is very cool character , and unlike Niko , Klebitz and Luis he is no douchebag or piece of shit character , and he is still damn badass and very interesting , and actually makes you care about him.

- yeah, Dead Eye Lvl 3 is very good ( since it don't auto target everything on screen) , but the problem is with the RB , since I remove/move my finger from the RT now to mark poor bastards ,I wish the "place the marks " was on one of the face buttons .

- I wish the "strangers " side quest were more Fallout-ish style than GTA4 ( you know not just meet them but do some crazy things ) only one that had "fallout" feel was the Flower for the lady quest.

- shooting is very fun , cover system works well , in GTA4+episode the shooting was like a broken garbage barrel full of shit , here it's "fun".

- regenerating health/dead eye are very good , checkpoint system is sweet , fast travel is nice idea but should be more easier ( put the option on the map screen instead ) and they should let us skip the skinning and looting animations.

elrechazao said:
Is it possible to screw up the stranger challenges, or have I just not gotten to the area where some of them continue on?

No, it's not possible. Even if you "fail" a stranger request, wait a few in-game days, and you can try it again. Sometimes you have to wait a while for the next part of a stranger request chain becomes active though. Look at your Journal in the pause menu to keep track.

Ben2749 said:
No, it's not possible. Even if you "fail" a stranger request, wait a few in-game days, and you can try it again. Sometimes you have to wait a while for the next part of a stranger request chain becomes active though. Look at your Journal in the pause menu to keep track.
I have two that I just haven't seen anywhere on the map for (real life) hours now. I assume that they'll be continued in mexico, which I haven't got to yet.

On my way to Sidewinder Gulch, I came across a drunk, old man crying hysterically next to a barefoot dead woman who was lying in a pool of blood. I stopped to watch, thinking this was a Stranger mission, or the man was going to ask me for a favor, but instead he took a swig of his bottle and just died right there next to her.

Random. Tragic. Awesome.

On a more positive note, on my way to Tall Trees to hunt the fauna (in the process of the "Unnatural Selection" achievement) I saw a man playing fetch with his dog. I thought that was a pretty nice sight.

Gooster said:
On my way to Sidewinder Gulch, I came across a drunk, old man crying hysterically next to a barefoot dead woman who was lying in a pool of blood. I stopped to watch, thinking this was a Stranger mission, or the man was going to ask me for a favor, but instead he took a swig of his bottle and just died right there next to her.

Random. Tragic. Awesome.

On a more positive note, on my way to Tall Trees to hunt the fauna (in the process of the "Unnatural Selection" achievement) I saw a man playing fetch with his dog. I thought that was a pretty nice sight.
I've killed that man playing fetch with his dog many times. Killed his dog too. :lol

UrbanRats

lol, not only men, but also the dogs pee, in this game :lol
Also after the race mission, i remember seeing W.Dickens pee near a bush. :lol

Finally got the damn ringer trophy. I went through so many games of it to get it and I end up facing some lady name Gretie and I destroy her AND got the ringer.

Pfft women.

Finished the game last night. Overall probably the best sandbox game I have ever played. I'm giving this game a overall a 9.7/10 (would have been a 10/10 if not for later stages of the game being buggy). And the funny part is I still have some things to complete (only completed about 90% of the game). Hopefully this one does well enough for Rockstar to make a RDR2. Will try out the on-line part of the game in a few days.

I was riding from Rathskeller Fork to Blackwater, and somewhere near Cholla Springs, I come across two men setting up dynamite on a table. I go to open the container that's near them. One of them says to his friend to be careful with the cigarette he lit. I sprinted the hell out of there and all of a sudden I hear *KABOOM* behind me. :lol

That is why I don't fast-travel (that often)!

eastside49er said:
Finished the game last night. Overall probably the best sandbox game I have ever played. I'm giving this game a overall a 9.7/10 (would have been a 10/10 if not for later stages of the game being buggy). And the funny part is I still have some things to complete (only completed about 90% of the game). Hopefully this one does well enough for Rockstar to make a RDR2. Will try out the on-line part of the game in a few days.

You silly, this is the sequel!

Is it just me or is the only time you ever get LFE sound from this game during thunderstorms? I just got a new subwoofer and while Alan Wake caused shit to fall off the walls, 25 hours of RDR hasn't offered me much in the audio department. The thunderstorms sound incredible, but everything else has been fairly flat including the in-game music tracks which seem pretty low bitrate.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
WTF? I just got on the blue train stopped at Bonnie's, and the red train was coming the opposite direction. It clipped through the train and killed everyone on board. :lol

teh_pwn said:
Good ending, but I felt like I could have taken those guys. If John kicked the door open, took cover, and deadeye and kept chewing tobacco/snake oil. Realistic, no. But same goes for most of the battles in the game before that.

The way I saw it John let them kill him because had he not, the government would have continued to hunt him consequently placing his family in harms way

Square Triangle said:
You silly, this is the sequel!

That is right. I totally forgot about Red Dead Revolver, LOL! Of course you know what I mean. I want another sandbox type RDR. Maybe a prequel to the events of Red Dead Redeption or a sequel with Marston's son as the main character.

John!!!!!! Nooooooooooooo :( rip

Just finished the game a while ago, :lol just like everyone was saying
pissed i can't play as John anymore

i have a extra golden weapons gun code-xbox 360, if anyone wants it, pm me and we can work something out

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
friskykillface said:
John!!!!!! Nooooooooooooo :( rip

Just finished the game a while ago, :lol just like everyone was saying
pissed i can't play as John anymore

i have a extra golden weapons gun code-xbox 360, if anyone wants it, pm me and we can work something out
*pulls out gun*
I implores yous to just give up the code and walk away

Papercuts said:
WTF? I just got on the blue train stopped at Bonnie's, and the red train was coming the opposite direction. It clipped through the train and killed everyone on board. :lol

Sounds like the fabled Ghost Train driven by Bigfoot and Cougar Man.

HixxSAFC said:
Game is really picking up towards the end of Mexico. It was ok before, nothing special to be honest but as the story is starting to pick up so are the missions and general cohesiveness of the world - the Stranger missions are most certainly more interesting now. I still miss Irish though, I hope I see him again :(

Almost everything in Mexico is just one big side mission. Completely unnecessary.

Papercuts

GullyJuice said:
Almost everything in Mexico is just one big side mission. Completely unnecessary.

If anything New Austin is the biggest side mission. Mexico has most of the biggest events in the game.

Gooster said:
I was riding from Rathskeller Fork to Blackwater, and somewhere near Cholla Springs, I come across two men setting up dynamite on a table. I go to open the container that's near them. One of them says to his friend to be careful with the cigarette he lit. I sprinted the hell out of there and all of a sudden I hear *KABOOM* behind me. :lol

That is why I don't fast-travel (that often)!
Yeah, that was awesome. I knew when the guy lit the cigarette that shit was about to go down. :lol

Aurora

Hmm I'm pretty sure I've killed every animal in the game but have yet to get the achievement. Is there a checklist somewhere? The game really ought to let you know which ones you're missing...

n-off said:
hey guys!
how the fuck can you win duels?
at first it was no problem at all... but after the first 2,3 duels I can't win anymore...
fucking sucks... how do you do it right?
You pull the right stick down to grab the gun, then up, and if youre on Inverted aim press down again. Tip to those who dont know how to win properly, Shoot the hands, aim for their hands and youll get much more honor that way

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
big_z said:
meh it'll be faster to wait for it to restock in store than the 3 weeks of shipping with amazon.ca

huh ? I thought it's very fast and you can date/sleep with the hot rollerblades delivery chick later too.

Melville

Just beat the game.
Man, the last picture right before the credits is fucking badass :D
Prequel/sequel plz, and I want a real faction system this time R* (there were some really weird and out of place situations involving the mexican army).

Wiggum2007

Square Triangle said:
Wasting time.

No use really doing any of the challenges until all three areas are unlocked.

Ok cool. I've been going as far as I can with the challenges in the areas I've unlocked so far, just so I don't have one giant grind after I unlock the third area.

Melville said:
You get a nice reward when you reach 50% treasure hunting

Yeah you get a reward for Level 5 in every challenge, can't remember what they all are off the top of my head.

Papercuts

Are the challenges glitched in some ways or does the game just lie? It says in survivalist that all the flowers you picked beforehand count, but I just did the 8 prickly pear one and had 7 in my inventory beforehand, but had to pick 8 more regardless.

Wiggum2007

Papercuts said:
Are the challenges glitched in some ways or does the game just lie? It says in survivalist that all the flowers you picked beforehand count, but I just did the 8 prickly pear one and had 7 in my inventory beforehand, but had to pick 8 more regardless.

I think you read wrong, I believe the objectives for the challenge state "pick X number of flowers in addition to the ones you already have."

Dunno if been told but to those interested in home items:
In the first mission with Abigail, in the kitchen theres a stair that leads to the attic and in the chest you unlock a home item

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Sadly, I'm stuck

How do I keep the crows out of my goddamn corn? I've tried shooting but to no avail.
The semi-auto shotgun works wonders for that since the spread of the shot can down several birds at once

timkunedo

Square Triangle said:
You need to progress through the story more, the whole world isn't unlocked from the beginning.:lol

thanks. i figured since i had already unlocked mexico that i had just skipped that region and didn't want to miss out on anything.

Top Bottom