• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

StuBurns said:
Yeah, those things are nothing to do with the single player campaign, they are the hideout instances after.
Thanks -

Anyone have any tips on the final sharpshooter challenge? Having a bitch of a time with this.

Footos22

elrechazao said:
Thanks -

Anyone have any tips on the final sharpshooter challenge? Having a bitch of a time with this.

just get guy on his own and keep shooting gun out of his hand when he picks it back up
was quite easy really

If he dies just move onto someone else.
Gotta keep gun out otherwise itll reload unless you have no spare ammo.

Solo

elrechazao said:
Thanks -

Get the gun of your choice down to one clip (I used the repeater), then go to a gang hideout. Dead eye a group of 3 goons, shoot their guns out, move on to a second group, dead eye and shoot their 3 guns out.

Zabka

elrechazao said:
Thanks -

As long as you don't manually reload it's easy. The auto-reloading from activating Dead-eye doesn't count against the challenge.

Falt

I read on the RDR wiki that drawing blood while disarming someone won't count against the sharpshooter challenge. Not sure if it's true or not as I had the challenge done before I read the article.

Wiggum2007

Falt said:
I read on the RDR wiki that drawing blood while disarming someone won't count against the sharpshooter challenge. Not sure if it's true or not as I had the challenge done before I read the article.

Sounds right, I seem to remember shooting a lot of hands getting that challenge.

infinityBCRT said:
I'm thinking perhaps everything is purgatory. John may have been killed by Bill at the start of the game. When John dies hes finally achieved Redemption. But then having it focus on Jack afterwards flies in the face of that. I guess they left it open to interpretation on purpose.

I believe it's more along the lines that the Strange Man just seems to be representing the angel of death/grim reaper or satan or what have you, there to collect on his accounts and judge the actions of his life and supposed redemption. He even knows where John is going to be buried. I think having 90% of the game set in purgatory would be a bit too meta heh, and the whole devil in the desert thing isn't new to the western genre anyways.

Guevara

Falt said:

Easy Level 10 Sharp Shooter strategy:

1. I emptied my Mauser to 15 bullets so I couldn't reload
2. Hid behind the bar in Armadillo when there were about 10 gang members hanging out
3. Popped up and drew my gun so they would draw their weapons
4. Lined up shots so I got the "white flash" of hitting their weapons AND NO blood splatter
5. Also, because I did not actually hit them, most of them drew a second weapon after I hit the first, and they second disarming apparently counted too.

C-Jo

Patrick Bateman said:
I never met the strange man. Can I still meet him after the credits? Do I even need him for getting 100%?
Same here, I don't know how I missed him.
Apparently, you don't need him for 100%, but you can't meet him as Jack.

Dead Man

Wiggum2007 said:
Sounds right, I seem to remember shooting a lot of hands getting that challenge.

I believe it's more along the lines that the Strange Man just seems to be representing the angel of death/grim reaper or satan or what have you, there to collect on his accounts and judge the actions of his life and supposed redemption. He even knows where John is going to be buried. I think having 90% of the game set in purgatory would be a bit too meta heh, and the whole devil in the desert thing isn't new to the western genre anyways.
Dude, you busted the spoilers.

Wiggum2007 said:

Nice quoted spoilers, dumbass.

epmode

It astounds me how few people use the Preview Post button when posting spoiler-tagged stuff. Good thing I finished the game before coming in here.

So im finished with the story. loved every minute of the game

Red Dead Redemption -> Red Dead Revenge. I hope they bring up a DLC where they show how abigail died and what jack will do after killing edgar ross. i wish i could kill edgar befor he killed john but this will never happen >.< Killing him was a redemption for me (i hated this guy,even befor he killed john) and for jack (free from thinking of revenge)

now i will try to get 100% in MP and SP

dark_inferno said:
So im finished with the story. loved every minute of the game

Red Dead Redemption -> Red Dead Revenge. I hope they bring up a DLC where they show how abigail died and what jack will do after killing edgar ross. i wish i could kill edgar befor he killed john but this will never happen >.< Killing him was a redemption for me (i hated this guy,even befor he killed john) and for jack (free from thinking of revenge)

now i will try to get 100% in MP and SP

I thought thats what the next game should be
until I did Remember my family

Dead Man

epmode said:
It astounds me how few people use the Preview Post button when posting spoiler-tagged stuff. Good thing I finished the game before coming in here.
Seems worse in this thread. Maybe it's just because this is one of the few times I have bought a game at release, so I normally avoid official threads anyway.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
infinityBCRT said:
I thought thats what the next game should be
until I did Remember my family

Next game is set waaaay too late for a sequel, if it is intended to be Western. RDR's 1911 was already pushing it, and had to take some liberties as to what life was like in that specific period.

~1914 would strain that credibility even farther.

Filldough

Patrick Bateman said:
I never met the strange man. Can I still meet him after the credits? Do I even need him for getting 100%?

Mission is called "I know you" I believe, and it can only be completed by John. If you've seen the credits roll then unfortunately you will not be able to complete this mission. And yes, it counts towards the 100% completion goal. So hope you loved the game as much as I have cause it looks like you're gonna have to play it again.

Anyone else have problems with it freezing (PS3 here) while saving during MP Free Roam?

It happened to me twice last night. Luckily it didn't corrupt my save, but it's pretty scary and can't be good for my PS3.

burgerdog

I need .3% to get 100% and I keep getting repeat bounty locations in Mexico. This is so frustrating because it never happened in the other two areas.

Filldough said:
Mission is called "I know you" I believe, and it can only be completed by John. If you've seen the credits roll then unfortunately you will not be able to complete this mission. And yes, it counts towards the 100% completion goal. So hope you loved the game as much as I have cause it looks like you're gonna have to play it again.

That stranger quest does not count for 100%.

burgerdog said:
I need .3% to get 100% and I keep getting repeat bounty locations in Mexico. This is so frustrating because it never happened in the other two areas.

Happened to me once in Mexico as well. I was killing them because it was faster and I was trying to grind the bounties out at the end. So the next repeat I brought him back alive and that fixed it. Maybe try that?

Dizzle24 said:
19 stranger quests total. Did you do "aztec gold" in Sidewinder Gulch? And the stranger mission in blackwater after the final mission? "aztec gold" didn't appear for me until after i completed the game.

Yeah I found out which stranger quest I was missing... it was the
Deadalus one, which for some reason only appears with a question mark when you are right next to him. Annoying, cause it meant I had to go hunting for Beavers at 4am... but I have 100% now in about 35 hours play time.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
OldJadedGamer said:
The lack of beavers in the game is really pissing me off.

just keep walking back and forth along the river north of Blackwater, be patient.

IronRinn

Filldough said:

The
"I Know You" mission
does not count towards 100%. See here for 100% requirements. Warning: spoilers.

Edit: Never mind, a few others already covered it. Sorry, didn't mean to jump on you! :D

Filldough said:

i read that this mission didnt count towards the 100%.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/100%_Completion WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS

im tooooo slow XD

**MAJOR END GAME SPOILERS DO NOT HIGHLIGHT UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN THE CREDITS**

Does anyone else play the game differently as Jack? I like to act a bit more ruthless with him. I shoot anyone I sense to be trying to ambush me, shoot the dynamite those guys are carrying in the random event, a bit more careless with the bounties, shoot ALL the people wanting to duel in the head, etc. etc. Hell, I put so many bullets into Edgar Ross' body during the duel, and STILL threw dynamite at it after the credits finished rolling HAHAHA...ha....ha...Am I crazy?

Besides that, I tend to use the more recent model guns as well. Mausers, and High Powered Pistols seem to fit him more than his father's old school pistols for example. I also feel better letting my "inner bad guy" out with Jack because of the stuff we've seen him go through. I really hope any singleplayer DLC involves him as well. Could be a badass holding on to Old West values in a time of even MORE technological growth, and World War than we've seen John go through.

burgerdog

ThirstyFly said:
Happened to me once in Mexico as well. I was killing them because it was faster and I was trying to grind the bounties out at the end. So the next repeat I brought him back alive and that fixed it. Maybe try that?
Odd, I guess I was getting new locations after all. The bounty target itself repeating threw me off, cheers, 100%!

SamuraiX-

Net_Wrecker said:
**MAJOR END GAME SPOILERS DO NOT HIGHLIGHT UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN THE CREDITS**

Does anyone else play the game differently as Jack? I like to act a bit more ruthless with him. I shoot anyone I sense to be trying to ambush me, shoot the dynamite those guys are carrying in the random event, a bit more careless with the bounties, shoot ALL the people wanting to duel in the head, etc. etc. Hell, I put so many bullets into Edgar Ross' body during the duel, and STILL threw dynamite at it after the credits finished rolling HAHAHA...ha....ha...Am I crazy?

Besides that, I tend to use the more recent model guns as well. Mausers, and High Powered Pistols seem to fit him more than his father's old school pistols for example. I also feel better letting my "inner bad guy" out with Jack because of the stuff we've seen him go through. I really hope any singleplayer DLC involves him as well. Could be a badass holding on to Old West values in a time of even MORE technological growth, and World War than we've seen John go through.

For me it's just because I know I've already completed the story and gotten that 100% completion... so there's nothing left to do for fun except fuck around and reek havoc. :lol

Roklie

What am I supposed to do when I see a blue icon in the desert and when I approach it I see people shooting, they will obviously shoot me if I get too close but if I kill them I will only end up losing honour points?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Roklie said:
What am I supposed to do when I see a blue icon in the desert and when I approach it I see people shooting, they will obviously shoot me if I get too close but if I kill them I will only end up losing honour points?

shoot or disarm everyone but the blue, dead eye would work best, ride up quick, go into dead eye, then you can pick them out of the crowd

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Creepy/random easter egg I haven't seen mentioned:

Inside
the barn at Marston's ranch
on the 2nd level, "Oh My Son, My Blessed Son" has been written in either chalk or white paint.

Very weird.

levious said:
just keep walking back and forth along the river north of Blackwater, be patient.

I am and it's a waste of time. Very annoying that it's required for the Stranger in Mexico. I have 2 and need 3 more. I want to play the game, not grind this stupid shit.

somnific

GDJustin said:
Creepy/random easter egg I haven't seen mentioned:

Inside
the barn at Marston's ranch
on the 2nd level, "Oh My Son, My Blessed Son" has been written in either chalk or white paint.

Very weird.

it's a cheat code to play as jack when you're still john.

OldJadedGamer said:
I am and it's a waste of time. Very annoying that it's required for the Stranger in Mexico. I have 2 and need 3 more. I want to play the game, not grind this stupid shit.

i found my beavers in that same stretch of river, but right above beecher's hope. i can usually find 3-5 beavers whenever i pass that same area.

OldJadedGamer said:

I don't know how you're having so much trouble. I got absolutely BOMBARDED with Cougars and Beavers around sunrise/sunset in that Great Plains areas right below the northern river. I think I saw like 4 Beaver just running around with each other at one point...

..then 2 cops chasing a criminal got mauled by a Cougar and I didn't even try to help. Twas great.

Darkman M

OldJadedGamer said:

Use bait in the snowy area, i had like 5 of them come out at once before.

Rikyfree

I cannot find the aztec gold stranger quest in sidewinder gulch to save my life, is there a specific location or something I need to do first in order to trigger it?

One of the most emotional moments of the game was kind of wrecked for me by a bug...
when you meet your family in the barn at the end of the defend the ranch mission, I went in and the cutscene started. But there was still Jack's character model up against the wall on the side of the barn, which I noticed in the cutscene as the horse with them on rode off. For a second I though Jack had jumped off the horse and decided to stay behind with John; "We'll be done seeing this one out t'gether Pa" or so to speak. But I realised it was just a bug :(

Bungieware said:
One of the most emotional moments of the game was kind of wrecked for me by a bug...
when you meet your family in the barn at the end of the defend the ranch mission, I went in and the cutscene started. But there was still Jack's character model up against the wall on the side of the barn, which I noticed in the cutscene as the horse with them on rode off. For a second I though Jack had jumped off the horse and decided to stay behind with John; "We'll be done seeing this one out t'gether Pa" or so to speak. But I realised it was just a bug :(
happened to me too.

Net_Wrecker said:
I don't know how you're having so much trouble. I got absolutely BOMBARDED with Cougars and Beavers around sunrise/sunset in that Great Plains areas right below the northern river. I think I saw like 4 Beaver just running around with each other at one point...

..then 2 cops chasing a criminal got mauled by a Cougar and I didn't even try to help. Twas great.

Wait... the Northern River? Shit, I've been walking up and down the path on the far West because that is where they show you that they are on the included map!!! Alright, I'll head North and see what I find. I already got my 18 bear achievement trying to find beavers.

Top Bottom