• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Grinchy

Banned
You know what would be awesome? A video commentary of the new Adam Sandler movie on Netflix.

They could record themselves like they do for BOTW, but they don't have to do any editing whatsoever. They just put the raw video right up on youtube. Then, people can start up the netflix player in one browser window and their video commentary in another browser window.

It would just be so much fun to watch their reactions to the torture and to be able to follow along perfectly with the movie.

Shy

The next HITB HAS to be Ridiculous Six, right? It just has to be? It's the perfect troll episode.
bqddZ2B.gif

I hadn't even thought about that, it would be fucking jokes if they did.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
They somehow topped the Rich Evans reaction vid with that one. And I'm always taken aback at how much better Jay looks than he used to, nice haircut and a beard is all it took I guess.

Surfinn

Sorry if it's been covered before, but is there a way to find Episode 2 and Episode 3 of Plinkett's SW reviews without the serial killer BS? I just want to watch the other two with my GF; she loved the first. The sub-plot is distracting and I'd like to just focus on movie criticism. Thanks for the help. Found one for Ep. 1, but couldn't find any for the others (listed below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0YHjqQD7E4

But the serial killer stuff is the best part about the Plinkett reviews. It's the sweet candy coating that makes the bitter movie criticism pill go down sooooo much easier.

Cheerilee

But the serial killer stuff is the best part about the Plinkett reviews. It's the sweet candy coating that makes the bitter movie criticism pill go down sooooo much easier.

I think Mr Plinkett found a perfect balance of "review + madness" in his reviews of the Star Trek TNG movies, but then for the Star Wars prequel movies, he may have gone too far in a few places. But I don't think it's worth a fan-edit to try and tone it down.

I would think the best option is to try and find someone else's reviews of the Star Wars prequels, but... surprise!... there is nobody else who reviewed the prequels in close to the same league as Mr Plinkett did.

I think the best reviews I've found anywhere else was Chris Stuckmann.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXx-A5khOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHdcd8BHsnw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHvoWFUCbio

Surfinn

Best part? Felt forced and out of place in an otherwise brilliant, unflinchingly critical review of the prequels, in my opinion anyway.

Makes it much harder to watch it with other people too. I'm glad others find enjoyment out of it, of course.

If anyone knows where to find the edited versions, please let me know.

But I don't think it's worth a fan-edit to try and tone it down.

This is where I get lost. Not sure why people consider editing out unnecessary, unrelated material as "toned down". Removing the sub-plot takes nothing away from the impact of his reviews.

Cheerilee

Best part? Felt forced and out of place in an otherwise brilliant, unflinchingly critical review of the prequels, in my opinion anyway.

Makes it much harder to watch it with other people too. I'm glad others find enjoyment out of it, of course.

If anyone knows where to find the edited versions, please let me know.

This is where I get lost. Not sure why people consider editing out unnecessary, unrelated material as "toned down". Removing the sub-plot takes nothing away from the impact of his reviews.

It's not really unnecessary or unrelated though. Mike Stoklasa quickly figured out when he was making his first Youtube review that nobody wants to sit through half an hour of some guy criticizing a Star Trek movie (okay, some people might). It doesn't matter how right he might be, it's ridiculous, so nobody would take him seriously. So he included comic relief (using his own skills with dark comedy). The "character" of Mr Plinkett is interwoven with the Plinkett Reviews.

Stoklasa went a bit overboard around the Revenge of the Sith review, and people asked him to tone it down, and he agreed that it was a bit much, so he toned it down for future reviews. But I don't think the Episode 3 review is "broken" and I wouldn't want Stoklasa to go back and re-edit it (who does he think he is, George Lucas?), nor do I think it's needed for a fan to re-edit his reviews (I wouldn't trust a fan to re-edit his reviews, if they don't even understand the need for comic relief).

If people can't stomach Stoklasa's dark comedy, then they most likely can't enjoy his Plinkett reviews, but I don't think that's a big loss because nobody would have ever even heard of him in the first place if it wasn't for the dark comedy of his Plinkett reviews.

Rather than fan-editing Plinkett to try and sanitize it, I think it's a much better idea to look to someone else's reviews. If it doesn't have to be Star Wars, Chuck from SFDebris is great. His reviews are very smart, and his comic relief (he does that too) is subtle and understated.

Surfinn

It's not really unnecessary or unrelated though. Mike Stoklasa quickly figured out when he was making his first Youtube review that nobody wants to sit through half an hour of some guy criticizing a Star Trek movie (okay, some people might). It doesn't matter how right he might be, it's ridiculous, so nobody would take him seriously. So he included comic relief (using his own skills with dark comedy). The "character" of Mr Plinkett is interwoven with the Plinkett Reviews.

Stoklasa went a bit overboard around the Revenge of the Sith review, and people asked him to tone it down, and he agreed that it was a bit much, so he toned it down for future reviews. But I don't think the Episode 3 review is "broken" and I wouldn't want Stoklasa to go back and re-edit it (who does he think he is, George Lucas?), nor do I think it's needed for a fan to re-edit his reviews (I wouldn't trust a fan to re-edit his reviews, if they don't even understand the need for comic relief).

If people can't stomach Stoklasa's dark comedy, then they most likely can't enjoy his Plinkett reviews, but I don't think that's a big loss because nobody would have ever even heard of him in the first place if it wasn't for the dark comedy of his Plinkett reviews.

Rather than fan-editing Plinkett to try and sanitize it, I think it's a much better idea to look to someone else's reviews. If it doesn't have to be Star Wars, Chuck from SFDebris is great. His reviews are very smart, and his comic relief (he does that too) is subtle and understated.

Again, I really don't understand this point of view. Because someone doesn't enjoy the serial killer sub plot of his reviews, they should look elsewhere? That's a ridiculous notion. I enjoy his criticisms greatly (especially the comedy he interjects throughout), but much of his included "comic relief" is slapped on the beginning or end of his review. It doesn't enhance his criticism and doesn't add any needed comic relief, as it's already littered throughout his entire reviews. He's hilarious, I just don't enjoy the tacked on "footage" he throws in the beginning and end.

Those parts are fine, even if they got a little long as the series went on. The problem comes in if/when you want to rewatch the videos, because those parts don't hold up to multiple viewings anywhere near as well as the analysis parts.

Surfinn

Those parts are fine, even if they got a little long as the series went on. The problem comes in if/when you want to rewatch the videos, because those parts don't hold up to multiple viewings anywhere near as well as the analysis parts.

I've always skipped the tacked on skit, not because it's offensive, but because I think it's silly and adds no value to the video. However, me and my GF were watching the Episode 1 edited review (no subplot) and we were dying. His dark humor is hilarious, and I wouldn't change any of it in relation to his review of Star Wars. I just never found his serial killer skit entertaining.

The only reviews that have an issue with too much serial killer subplot are Episode 2 and Episode 3 reviews, and honestly I just skip those

Grinchy

Banned
I just re-watched the Episode I review last night since I watched the Anti-Cheese edit of the film on youtube. It definitely had just the right amount of side story IMO.

I'll probably do the same for the other two episodes and see if there is too much Plinkett murder side story.

I would never watch those reviews with the fun cut out of them. The whole idea of Plinkett from thier previous movies was a crazy old murderous man reviewing movies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ditto. Its the whole point of the character.

RLM Plinkett is the gritty film version of Plinkett

HITB Plinkett is the sitcom comedy-relief version of Plinkett

There are plenty of reviewers without a serial killer plot if you need one. I find that stuff pretty entertaining. I just marathoned all of Stuckman's Star Wars reviews and Plinkett's Episode I and II reviews last night. (Ran out of time for III. Will watch tonight.)

Surfinn

That's fine, agree to disagree. But if anyone knows where I can find the edited versions you'd really make my day, because three are my favorite SW reviews and I'd love to share them with my GF.

Personally, I only found the serial killer stuff too much in EP2. The asides in the EP 1 are quick, and EP3 is almost all criticism until the end.

But those crazy asides seem important to the overall tone and approach of many critical segments (like the break down of Qui-gon's ruse).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If all you are interested in is the review - ie, you don't give a shit about RLM or their movies or Plinkett as a character - then yeah, it starts to take over in the 2 review. But they were probably trying to capitalize on the popularity to try to sell some films.

Define "overtake"

Large chunks of time are devoted to the serial killer stuff in liue of actual critique. In the second episode (for me, the only episode that suffers from this), the Plinkett stuff feels designed to take up time and distract from the lack of content. EP two feels a bit stretched thin (while great points are still made here and there), and the Plinkett stuff just emphasizes that feeling for me.

I say this as someone who really likes the reviews overall.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If all you are interested in is the review - ie, you don't give a shit about RLM or their movies or Plinkett as a character - then yeah, it starts to take over in the 2 review. But they were probably trying to capitalize on the popularity to try to sell some films.

I love RLM, and those segments in the reviews are pretty much running away with the prize for worst thing I've ever seen from them. The jokes and asides are fine, but by the end of the reviews the cutaways go on for far too long and are just terrible, not funny or entertaining in any way.

I love RLM, and those segments in the reviews are pretty much running away with the prize for worst thing I've ever seen from them. The jokes and asides are fine, but by the end of the reviews the cutaways go on for far too long and are just terrible, not funny or entertaining in any way.

it's definitely an example of "less is more," when he made passing jokes in the Trek reviews or the smaller bits in Phantom Menace is when they were strongest.

but yeah, as a whole, those bits are among some of the weakest stuff they've produced.

Surfinn

I've never even considered that there were fan edits of Plinkett reviews. Seems both insane and oddly appropriate all at the same time.
It's just awkward when you're watching them for the first time with your GF and you're like "wait let me fast forward through these awkward and unrelated serial killer skits so we can get back to the awesome/hilariously dark SW reviews"

Grinchy

Banned
It's crazy when you see Jack in the Episode I review. He's involved in the part where people are asked to describe the characters from the movies without resorting to discussing their jobs or appearances.

He was still rocking the hair he had left and a pretty bushy beard. He also was a little chunkier. He looks like a completely different person.

It's crazy when you see Jack in the Episode I review. He's involved in the part where people are asked to describe the characters from the movies without resorting to discussing their jobs or appearances.

He was still rocking the hair he had left and a pretty bushy beard. He also was a little chunkier. He looks like a completely different person.

He also acts like a different person, which was more shocking to me.

Top Bottom