• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Grinchy

Banned
lol ok anyone who is a fan of RLM is very likely to enjoy this film

The hardcore blowjob scene was a bit much, though. And wow, Jay is packing.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
lol ok anyone who is a fan of RLM is very likely to enjoy this film

The hardcore blowjob scene was a bit much, though. And wow, Jay is packing.
I think they sent you The Brown Bunny by mistake.

Oreoleo

Is "United States of NOOOOO" really gone? I can't seem to find it online anymore.

I think Jay said somewhere (probably a pre-rec stream) that it has disappeared into the ether as insanse that is this day and age

Wow wtf? That was the best thing they'd ever done. It was just on their site a few short months ago, how can it be gone?

I mean I know blip shut down but how is it there were no backup copies or a fan didn't archive it?

What was this?

early documentary/skit where they interviewed random people about the prequels and they reenacted the darth vader "NOOOOO" bit from revenge of the sith. this was before the plinkett reviews. thinking back, this might have been the first piece of RLM content I had seen.

I think Jay said somewhere (probably a pre-rec stream) that it has disappeared into the ether as insanse that is this day and age

That'd be a real shame. I hope a fan has it and can send it to them to reupload.

knkng

So listening to the commentary track from Space Cop, they were talking about how they had made tons of footage for the movie Doc of the Dead, and almost none of it ended up being used. In their own words, they say that there is basically an entire Plinkett review that they created, but they don't hold the rights to any of the footage. They expressed a hope that Exhibit A Pictures (the rights holder to the footage) would one day release their work.

Pretty interesting stuff. I knew they had constructed the house/kitchen set quite a while ago, but I assumed it was for their own movie project (Space Cop). It's odd that they would give over full rights to their own material, especially considering that they used their own studio, set construction, equipment, actors and original characters. Hopefully that stuff gets released one day.

NR1

F403C8AC-55D2-4183-909C-A868B2FAD2D8.jpg

Space Cop has landed!

About to start watching. I will update shortly with impressions.

***EDIT-- IMPRESSIONS***

That was pretty good. Not the greatest, but fun. I lost it near the end when Len Kabasinski showed up as Rich's stunt double to fight Jay. I was hoping for more inside jokes and such related to Red Letter Media; which is why I enjoyed the Kabasinski so much. Something more along the lines of The Angry Video Game Nerd Movie.

UrbanRats

early documentary/skit where they interviewed random people about the prequels and they reenacted the darth vader "NOOOOO" bit from revenge of the sith. this was before the plinkett reviews. thinking back, this might have been the first piece of RLM content I had seen.

I remember this.
Mike looked so young there, probably why he got rid of all the copies of it!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
F403C8AC-55D2-4183-909C-A868B2FAD2D8.jpg

Space Cop has landed!

About to start watching. I will update shortly with impressions.

***EDIT-- IMPRESSIONS***

That was pretty good. Not the greatest, but fun. I lost it near the end when Len Kabasinski showed up as Rich's stunt double to fight Jay. I was hoping for more inside jokes and such related to Red Letter Media; which is why I enjoyed the Kabasinski so much. Something more along the lines of The Angry Video Game Nerd Movie.
It's funny because they hate the AVGN movie.

Grinchy

Banned
I never watch these before a movie I care about seeing, but I'm so tempted. I just don't like to go into movies with any kind of critic opinion in my mind.

Oh wow, really? How come? I guess the obvious answer is because it's a bad movie, but fans of AVGN probably mostly enjoyed it.

NR1

That's very surprising. When did they say this? Link? I thought it was a very solid effort on James' part- great cameos, fun story, tons of video game references, good production values... Not bad at all for a YouTube series spinoff, IMO. The Nerd is a bit of a 1-trick pony, but I think he is much better than some other characters out there like The Nostalgia Critic.

I'm in central Ohio, so pretty close. I think Rich Evans might be personally driving around the country and hand-delivering these things. Nothing else quite explains the long shipping times.

edit- My brother is the only other RLM fan I know. He suggested we get some pizza rolls. I usually hate those things, but it's too appropriate to pass up on.

Thanks for replying. Today was another Space Cop-less day. But at least there is a new Half in the Bag.

In Half in the Bag related news, Turbo Kid is on Netflix which was the film Jay seemed to really like a few months back in the same episode from The Visit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I kind of agree with them. Leo at best is a good actor. He's not a great actor.

I'll admit that I have not seen Revnant yet, but watching the trailer, I was saying the same thing they did. Leo is a guy in a costume. Hardy disappears into his role.
Yeah, I agree with that too. He's a lot like Tom Cruise, where his roles tend to gravitate towards "INTENSE EMOTIONAL FACE", and having a guy like Hardy do a very different and really successful type of acting right next to him just highlights it.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
they're right on the money when it comes to dicaprio. i hope he wins the oscar though so maybe everyone can then stop pretending they like him so much.

Oreoleo

My feelings on the Revenant mirrors there's almost exactly. Gorgeous film, the technical aspects of the filming are staggering, but Leo wasn't even the second best actor in the movie and the whole thing left me mostly unaffected. Not even close to a bad movie but I'd hesitate to recommend it to a lot of people.

I thought Leo's acting was better in Django. I saw Calvin Candi and in Revenant I saw Leo in a costume. that's just me though. He was good, but as said, he wasn't even the best actor in the movie. I totally agree with them and so much of the talk about his possible Oscar seems to do with the physical strain and torture he went through, which shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Dicaprio is likely to win it because let's be honest the academy is probably feeling the pressure of an actor of his 'pedigree' being nominated as often without winning. Now they can give this to him in a year without many roles people would riot over not winning. And it could act as a collective work award. Plus so many people are rooting for him based on the production story alone. Like take a conversation with my parents on the phone

'hey woof did you watch the Revenant?'

'yeah momma and poppa woof.'

'did you like it? We sure loved it'

'oh yeah I really liked it. I don't know if I'd say anybody in it deserves an award though'

'why? Leo was amazing did you hear about all the trouble he went through to do this movie?'

They might have gone through a lot of Trouble it doesn't mean they deserve an award though.

If anything it might diminish his acting a bit, he's not acting cold he IS cold. If that can get you an actor tons of stunt people who do risky shit should win awards for best acting because they're endangering themselves for their art.

If anything it might diminish his acting a bit, he's not acting cold he IS cold. If that can get you an actor tons of stunt people who do risky shit should win awards for best acting because they're endangering themselves for their art.

I loved their comment about Dances with Wolves. Keven Costner didn't actually eat the buffalo liver, he just acted and got an Oscar.

Oreoleo

Just got an alert a little bit ago that Space Cop on bluray is back in stock if anyone still wants to grab a copy. Will probably sell out fast again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh wow, really? How come? I guess the obvious answer is because it's a bad movie, but fans of AVGN probably mostly enjoyed it.

Jack does but we never got Jay's opinion on the movie -_________-

That's very surprising. When did they say this? Link? I thought it was a very solid effort on James' part- great cameos, fun story, tons of video game references, good production values... Not bad at all for a YouTube series spinoff, IMO. The Nerd is a bit of a 1-trick pony, but I think he is much better than some other characters out there like The Nostalgia Critic.

It was on one of the twitch streams - everyone kept asking for their opinion and they finally gave it. Jay never talked about it, but I think he feels the same.

I find it interesting because part of why they didn't like it was based on the fact that the movie was built around the ET review. Also the writing. But I mean, Space Cop seems to be in the same vein so I'm just curious if it is any different.

inm8num2

LOL, I just tuned in and they were wrapping up their thoughts on The Witness. Neither seemed too keen on it and Rich was asking chat if they could get a Steam refund. :p

It was on one of the twitch streams - everyone kept asking for their opinion and they finally gave it. Jay never talked about it, but I think he feels the same.

I find it interesting because part of why they didn't like it was based on the fact that the movie was built around the ET review. Also the writing. But I mean, Space Cop seems to be in the same vein so I'm just curious if it is any different.

Maybe it's a situation they dislike the movie and the writing, but once they made their own they realize they couldn't do better? lol

The Revenant HiTB actually re-sold me on the movie because I wanna see Hardy in it

Tom Hardy definitely gave a better performance in this than anyone else, but I still didn't feel it was worth a nomination.

Cheerilee

Maybe it's a situation they dislike the movie and the writing, but once they made their own they realize they couldn't do better? lol

I think I remember them saying once that they enjoy watching bad movies, but they don't enjoy watching deliberately bad movies, because if you're making bad movies on purpose, it's like... what's the point?

But just because they enjoy watching unintentionally bad movies and don't enjoy watching deliberately bad movies, it doesn't mean that they don't enjoy making deliberately bad movies.

And it could be argued that they don't make bad movies, they make the best movies they can possibly make, and they use "bad movie" as "spice" in their movies, because in small doses it's funny, and because they're making fun of their own shortcomings. And maybe if they're good enough they can put a "bad movie" joke overtop of a place where they're weak, and improve the movie overall.

I haven't seen the AVGN movie, but I've heard James went pretty deep with the "deliberately bad movie" thing. That it was a love letter to his love of bad movies. He may have gone too far in a few places.

I can't disagree with their sentiment.

I love the room.

I love birdemic

But I refuse to watch birdemic 2. Once you become self aware you are bound to try and recapture the magic which makes it fake. Or deliberately make it bad.

But if I made a YouTube channel I'd definitely do shit that was bad on purpose

Top Bottom