• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Goonies is getting a sequel and they are remaking Big Trouble in Little China.

tumblr_mrcd762wFz1s4actgo1_250.gif

Don't worry, they are.

fixed.

Also, I would say that the many videos on Ghostbusters (1984), including 'lessons from the screenplay', miss that Ghostbuster is BOTH a comedy AND a straight-up action movie with an epic antagonist. I mean, from the premise onwards there is a clear line of escalation into the final showdown with an actual demigod. The fact that it's characters are well separated into distinctive characters is what makes the comedy work (you can't have comedy without character conflict, like how FRIENDS was 99% terrible and 1% Phoebe and Chandler. Those were the only well defined separable characters), the fact that there is a clear threat and escalation is what makes the action work.
The reboot apparently has "Zuul" at the end of it, which means the entire remake was a waste of time because we don't care about "the story before the story", we care about the actual damn story. Which GB84 did correctly and without losing steam. The 2016 version is mostly just people fucking around, with no idea where the hell the plot is supposed to be going. Even if you can laugh at some lines in it, that means the action component is non-existent, because no threat.

Personally I've always thought of Ghostbusters as an action movie first, comedy second. Frankly, the comedy was kind of lost on me as a kid.

NeoGiff

Place your bets for Mike uttering the words, "So, Jay, what did you think of Star Trek: Beyond Thunderdome?" in the next HitB.

What? They were going to merge Friends and Frasier?

She was supposed to play Roz in Frasier.

They filmed a few scenes, and saw how badly she clashed with her goofy cuckoo cloud-esque personality didn't fit with the show.

She pretty much would have played Roz in the same fashion she played Phoebe in Friends.

Lupercal

Banned
She was supposed to play Roz in Frasier.

They filmed a few scenes, and saw how badly she clashed with her goofy cuckoo cloud-esque personality didn't fit with the show.

She pretty much would have played Roz in the same fashion she played Phoebe in Friends.

Thank God, never knew that even though I love Frasier.
Maybe I should delve deeper into the extras.

Cheerilee

Haha. Tbh if he really said his Plinkett-style review was a coincidence then he deserves to be the prick Rich called out.

Here's where he said it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhNyHUwo1SY&feature=youtu.be&t=382

He says that he absolutely loves RLM (something he's said a number of times before), but that he wasn't trying to mimic Mr Plinkett. His "analyzed review" fell exactly within the style of reviews that he's been using occasionally since 2012 with his Prometheus review. If you watch it and then compare it to his The Force Awakens review, it becomes obvious that he didn't change his style or include any specific RLM nods. It's different from his usual "in front of the camera, quick cutting mid-sentence" style which Jay mocked in his Ghostbusters trailer reaction video, and it's more similar to Mr Plinkett's audio recording paired with video clips style, but he didn't pretend to be Mr Plinkett reviewing Star Wars, he was just Chris Stuckmann reviewing Star Wars. It's really no different from any other Youtube reviewer using a behind-a-mic style, like Chuck from SF Debris.

It's only because he reviewed Star Wars (as opposed to something like Prometheus) that people made the Plinkett connection.

I have no idea why he would have taken RLM down as one of his recommended sites, as I would like to think that he knew Rich was joking, but maybe between the plagiarism accusations, Jay's Ghostbusters reaction trailer, and now the "prick" thing, toxic RLM fans might be souring him on RLM.

komplanen

Here's where he said it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhNyHUwo1SY&feature=youtu.be&t=382

He says that he absolutely loves RLM (something he's said a number of times before), but that he wasn't trying to mimic Mr Plinkett. His "analyzed review" fell exactly within the style of reviews that he's been using occasionally since 2012 with his Prometheus review. If you watch it and then compare it to his The Force Awakens review, it becomes obvious that he didn't change his style or include any specific RLM nods. It's different from his usual "in front of the camera, quick cutting mid-sentence" style which Jay mocked in his Ghostbusters trailer reaction video, and it's more similar to Mr Plinkett's audio recording paired with video clips style, but he didn't pretend to be Mr Plinkett reviewing Star Wars, he was just Chris Stuckmann reviewing Star Wars. It's really no different from any other Youtube reviewer using a behind-a-mic style, like Chuck from SF Debris.

It's only because he reviewed Star Wars (as opposed to something like Prometheus) that people made the Plinkett connection.

I have no idea why he would have taken RLM down as one of his recommended sites, as I would like to think that he knew Rich was joking, but maybe between the plagiarism accusations, Jay's Ghostbusters reaction trailer, and now the "prick" thing, toxic RLM fans might be souring him on RLM.

Fair enough. I stand corrected. Personally I've never watched anything by this guy other than that Star Wars review so I don't know much about what's going on. I did like his review, by the way, but for sure it was a little too Plinkett-ey to be respectable original video. Still he had valid points, if I recall correctly.

Aiii

So not worth it
but he didn't pretend to be Mr Plinkett reviewing Star Wars, he was just Chris Stuckmann reviewing Star Wars.

This is where we disagree, he even put on a Plinkett-style voice. It's obvious what he was copying. I didn't hate his review, but it's obviously his version of a Plinkett review.

UrbanRats

Not familiar with this guy, but i just hate these type of sub communities, because they always end up feeling like somewhat cultish after a while, with people going way overboard defending their "idols".

That said, this guy making a video with a tone like he was caught being a torturer in Abu Ghraib, because of a BvS rewrite, is absolutely hilarious, in a grotesque way.
Though i don't doubt people were needlessly nasty to him, we're talking about superhero movies after all, which is pretty serious business.

I recently watched the Insurrection Plinkett review and it seemed generally negative. Did Mike change his mind over the years because in the Beyond review he is pretty positive about it?

I recently watched the Insurrection Plinkett review and it seemed generally negative. Did Mike change his mind over the years because in the Beyond review he is pretty positive about it?
Doubtful. But Insurrection is probably the most like a TNG episode out of all the TNG movies. I think that was his point?

Lol at the last third of the review. Mike eating cardboard TNG figures.
I laughed so much when he said, "Is it sad that I know his name is Gahlran?"

For anyone who has never played the game before but is interested in what the heck goes on during it, here is the whole video lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_739DxrMOs

My sister was big into TNG when we were young, and she got this for Christmas or birthday or something. I remember the pieces being really hard to get into their foundations lol.

Sephzilla

I laughed so much when he said, "Is it sad that I know his name is Gahlran?"

For anyone who has never played the game before but is interested in what the heck goes on during it, here is the whole video lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_739DxrMOs

My sister was big into TNG when we were young, and she got this for Christmas or birthday or something. I remember the pieces being really hard to get into their foundations lol.

Oh my god I'm like 95% certain my copy of this game is still in the storage area of my parents house

imBask

Banned
Why? It was great. HITB episodes are always 30 minutes on average.

yes, but it was about Star Trek, and star trek is booOOOOOoooring and it's for damn sci-fi neeeerds

I mean the highlight of that HiTB was
Mike eating a cardboard character lol
so not all is lost

Cheerilee

This is where we disagree, he even put on a Plinkett-style voice. It's obvious what he was copying. I didn't hate his review, but it's obviously his version of a Plinkett review.
Ya...It's pretty close to Plinkett

I think it's important to note that Stuckmann was inspired to become a youtube reviewer, and that he learned some of his editing techniques by watching Mr Plinkett and RLM. That can account for some similarity, but it doesn't make him a copier.

Mike famously came up with his Plinkett voice because he thought his own voice was boring and that it would put people to sleep over a long video. On his normal videos Stuckmann cuts his sentences together to make them faster (something Jay made fun of) because he learned early on that his Youtube audience had Attention Deficit Disorder. For his analyzed reviews, he's talking slower and softer than he usually does, almost putting his audience to sleep, probably because he knows that the audience for this sort of video can stay away longer than the audience for his usual output can.

If you check out Digibro's hour-long Analytical Diatribe of Sword Art Online, he's clearly Plinkett-inspired, but his voice is mostly his normal voice (because doing an hour-long voice impression is hard), and within two minutes he breifly does an actual Plinkett impression and says "part one" (and the rest of the video is occasionally littered with occasional Plinkett nods). Tommy Oliver's My Little Critiques: Equestria Girls has a Plinkett impression and a bang-on series of Plinkett nods running through the entire thing. After listening to a few of those, and listening to Mike's own Plinkett voice, flipping over to Stuckmann's Prometheus review I can't say that he's doing any sort of Plinkett impression. His voice is slightly different from his apparent normal, but that's it.

And after watching both Stuckmann's Prometheus and Star wars videos, they contain zero deliberate Plinkett nods. Maybe some subtle unconscious things, like some sarcasm here or there, and the general acknowledgement that everything Mike said about the Star Wars Prequels was right.

And the actual review content of his Prometheus and Star Wars videos is nothing like the narrative style of a Plinkett Review, with his Prometheus video actually taking the opposite position to the one RLM hilariously took (Stuckmann tries to explain the movie, and says that it's sometimes good to leave things unanswered).

Stuckmann is (was?) a fan of RLM, and he has had zero problems giving them credit for things in the past, so I have no doubt that he's telling the truth when he says the Star Wars video wasn't a Plinkett homage or rip off (whichever you want to call it), that it was a natural continuation of the slower, longer style of review that he's been flirting with for years, and that "the reviewer" in his videos is the real-life human known as Chris Stuckmann, not an attempted copy of Mike, or an unauthorized appropriation of the fictional character of Mr Plinkett (and I believe him when he says that he would be against borrowing that character without permission).

When someone first said "Hey look, Stuckmann is doing Plinkett", I thought "Cool, and he's doing a great job of being Plinkett", but after his denial, it seems obvious that he wasn't doing Plinkett. The facts seem to support him and he literally has no reason to lie about it. RLM fans badgering him and calling him a liar/plagiarist (and now a prick) are just the internet being toxic, as usual.

Miked looks so happy this episode, I really regret watching it though, really spoiled myself a movie I am probably going to love.

Don't mean to be rude, but I think you guys should tone down the all other youtuber's thing.

Miked looks so happy this episode, I really regret watching it though, really spoiled myself a movie I am probably going to love.

Don't mean to be rude, but I think you guys should tone down the all other youtuber's thing.
There really weren't any spoilers that would ruin the film for you. At least not that I noticed.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
yes, but it was about Star Trek, and star trek is booOOOOOoooring and it's for damn sci-fi neeeerds

I mean the highlight of that HiTB was
Mike eating a cardboard character lol
so not all is lost
I could say the same about all the countless comic book movies they keep puking out. 😝

Also yeah that last 15 minutes was just as awesome as the actual review. Loved the shit out of it.

"It was just a wrong numb--"
I knew Mike would love it! Surprised Jay enjoyed it as well. lol
Seeing as the trailers apparently spoiled the entire thing anyway. Fucking Hollywood hacks.

Glad I avoided everything I could about this movie. I only saw the initial trailer and decided to stop there. Even when YouTube started shoving the trailer on me I didn't pay attention at all and skipped it when I could. I went in blind and I'm so happy. I wish trailers didn't even exist anymore. Fuck em. I remember when a trailer didn't tell you the entire movie plot.

Boney

Banned
I'm happy Mike enjoyed the new Star Trek so much. Hopefully this is a wake up slap so he stops recommending terrible movie that he sees as schlock when they're actually straight face garbage. I'd be completely dead inside too if I had to watch half the garbage they see in cinemas so I get it.

Also, isn't Simon Pegg a fan of these guys? I was wondering if he would ask Mike to help write the next movie, especially since he gave such a glowing review of this one. Would be pretty neat.

Sephzilla

Mike looked legitimately happy that Star Trek Beyond was good. And I agree with him, Beyond felt like it found some of that Star Trek magic again

Top Bottom