• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i still feel like that heatsink is going to do more bad than good. the case needs more air in there.

i guess we'll see if it ends up being a problem.

Cheerilee

i still feel like that heatsink is going to do more bad than good. the case needs more air in there.

i guess we'll see if it ends up being a problem.

Yep. The heatsink is supposed to pull the heat off the CPU, and then the fan blows over the fins, drawing the heat into the air inside the case, and then the exhaust fan lowers the temperature of the air inside the case. But... what air inside the case? The inside of his case is like one solid mass.

His computer will have a very easy time with the first step of pulling heat off the CPU, but then have a very hard time trying to do something with that heat. He created a bottleneck, and that bottleneck will choke other things like the video card (oh my god, that giant video card is being smothered) and the RAM. And once the heat starts to get backed up with nowhere to go, that giant heatsink won't be so good at pulling heat off the CPU anymore. A puny stock cooler would probably provide better cooling.

His computer will still work, but he's going to have overheating problems and it's going to run inefficiently. But with that puny case he was probably never going to have good cooling (not unless he used a water cooler to toss the heat clean outside of the case). I remember my first (and last) tightly-compacted mini-computer. It was never as good as it should have been, and during one bad summer I decided to transplant it into a big case, and it was like the coughing-and-wheezing old thing had been reborn.

If/when Jack does see the light and gets himself a function-over-form case, that big heatsink is really going to shine.

Relax everybody, Jack did not build a toaster with computer parts. The case has a mesh top and bottom and an exhaust fan which will constantly be pulling cool air in all said orifices. It's going to run nice and cool even if he wanted to do a modest overclock. If one wanted they could run easily run an AMD FX 9590 and a Radeon 390x in that case and it would still run cool enough. You just need constant continuous airflow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDCMMf-_ASE

Now back to your regularly scheduled programing.

Re:View Blair Witch Project

Jay loves it. Mike is more lukewarm on it.

I never really cared for Blair Witch as a movie, it was one of those movies that I actually saw in the cinema. But I do respect it as a film. It was inventive for its time, even though the found footage thing has been done before this one. But Blair Watch is still one of the blueprints for modern horror movies as well as viral marketing in movies.

Sanjuro

Looking forward to watching.

Blair Witch always seemed like a gimmick film. It's not the worst example of anything, but I couldn't really appreciate it even then.

I think a lot of it has to do with how you're introduced to the movie as well. For example, I was told many times that there is an amazing and big twist in the sixth sense so it was pretty obvious what was happening in that movie and I was not surprised at all by the end. However, I knew nothing about Blair witch other than it was supposedly really good.

Sanjuro

I think a lot of it has to do with how you're introduced to the movie as well. For example, I was told many times that there is an amazing and big twist in the sixth sense so it was pretty obvious what was happening in that movie and I was not surprised at all by the end. However, I knew nothing about Blair witch other than it was supposedly really good.

Yeah that was it for me. Nobody ever stated something specific being amazing, just that it was the scariest movie ever.

Someone told me Ghostbusters 2 was the scariest movie ever too. Not a ton of stock in that!

Yeah I feel part of what made blair witch special has been ruined in an era of 80 gazillion shitty found footage films since while I won't say blair witch did it best it actually felt like found footage unlike most modern attempts at the style.

Did anyone ever see Blair witch 2?

Or whatever that one was called?

Wikipedia claims it made 47.7 million on a budget of 15 million so while it wasn't the ridiculous success of the first one (280 million on a sub 1 million budget), it still wasn't a horrible failure.

Flipyap

This re:View finally got me to watch the Blair Witch Project, for the first time, in the year of our lord 2016... and I liked it a lot!
I had no idea that its gimmick went so deep that it was filmed like a LARP improv session, so that ironically sold me on the movie even though I avoided it all this time because it sounded like a gimmick film (just of the more traditional, fully scripted variety).

Mike is a great critic of cinematic schlock and stuff that follows the mainstream movie formula, but I feel like he seriously missed the point of this one, to the point where all of his suggestions for ways to improve the movie sounded like they were progressively turning it into something he'd really hate. It's too bad they seem unable to have a good conversation about the weird movies Jay likes.

inky

Interested to see what Rich thinks of it. Back when it launched the game it reminded me most of was Mass Effect in its scope and variety. I know liked ME1 quite a lot, so I'm intrigued to see if he finds that simplicity in it I did.

He's still in the police station?
Does he know that you can just walk up to the guy and talk your way into the building?

EDIT: Rich is really bad at this game.

Cheerilee

He's still in the police station?
Does he know that you can just walk up to the guy and talk your way into the building?

He knows. He just "felt like" breaking into a police station, climbing around in air vents, breaking random cops arms and hiding the unconscious bodies in air vents, hacking police computers, stealing assault rifles, and then getting shot by cops when they inevitably discover his mischief.

He's just going to keep trying until he gets it done his way.

Edit: Bored now. Time to murder my way out of a police station.

BigAT

i wish re:view was replacing wheel of the worst

tumblr_np954nMUfB1qm3rsfo1_400.gif

Top Bottom