• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

I agree with a lot of their commentary but don't think you can do this story right in 2 movies even if you follow the book to a tee.

That being said, I think these movies are instantly better if you remove Gandalf and thus any LOTR connections after the first act of movie 1.

I agree with a lot of their commentary but don't think you can do this story right in 2 movies even if you follow the book to a tee.

That being said, I think these movies are instantly better if you remove Gandalf and thus any LOTR connections after the first act of movie 1.

Given that Tolkien retconned his own book, I really don't mind Jackson adding in things to tie this story more to the LotR films. But I agree, the Gandalf stuff adds more time and confusion a bit.

I like Jay's idea of doing one version of the movie where it is pretty much simply following the book (as much as possible). Given the mixing in of stuff, it might be nigh impossible, but it would be interesting.

One of the things I disagreed with Mike and Jay on greatly was their complaint that the movie was becoming about something other than The Hobbit. That was a complaint in the LotR films, and I kinda understood them at that point. But many of the major sequences, especially those that "matter" to me, are all involving Bilbo. Mirkwood, escape/the barrel sequence, entering the mountain, Smaug. All of those sequences had Bilbo as the focal point or the instigator of the events occurring.

I get that they are kind of glorifying Thorin a bit, especially more than I remember in the book, and the elves and Gandalf are getting a bit more limelight, but Bilbo is easily the best part of the story (in my eyes) and he is definitely the major character.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
lol at the Denny's advert in the Smaug review. But they should have ripped the movie, the pacing is SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Shame the chat was so awful that they disabled it. Don't think I have much interest in watching a terrible movie stream without one.

edit:

The chat's up for me, they're playing Abraxas now.

Thanks, I had to refresh when it went live and I had a message saying that the broadcaster has disabled the chat while the movie played. Now I only have to create a new Justin.TV account because my old account is apparently a Twitch account, even though I created it on Justin.TV and have logged in to it after Twitch started.

Davey Cakes

This episode was fantastic. I joined in on the group's laughter during the Santa Claus discussion. Just...really funny stuff.

And their use of the shredder was amazing. Sending that piece of shit movie back to WB is the cherry on top.

Oh, Santa Claus, how I remember watching that on MST3K so long ago. It's such a charmingly creepy movie, mostly due to Santa's over-exaggerated facial expressions and his creepy tech/methods.

Christmas Vacation 2 looks awful, even worse than A Christmas Story 2. And a word of advice for future
shredder usage - it's no wonder they had so much trouble, a Strip-cut shredder simply isn't designed to be powerful enough for DVDs. Now a good Cross-cut or Micro-Cut shredder, those'll do the job in one go, in my experience.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think they should have watched whatever the middle film was on that three pack and not the one that was on MST3K, or the other one that was also on MST3K.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's weird because Mike has mentioned that he's an MST3K fan, and I'm sure Jay is too, so I find it hard to believe they hadn't seen Santa Claus before, or weren't familiar with it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I was laughing as hard as they were.

"Oh man, what did we do last night? Did we make a movie?"

"Oh, just call it "Santa Claus"".

"Where did these kids come from?"

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
haha just watched it. was cracking up when they were going on about the production of Santa Claus.

it was fun to see them just laugh like crazy -- i really didn't know what was going on that made them laugh so much the first time.

i liked the editing in the beginning a little more this time with cutting back and forth with the box reading.

nwkdLTv.gif

JDSN

Banned
Still no GIF of Rich fucking up the tree while Jay runs scared?

And yeah, Jessi has the best facial expressions.

Sharp

Incidentally, I just listened to the RLM commentary for Star Trek V and as far as I'm concerned it's the missing 2013 Plinkett review. It's really in-depth.

Top Bottom