• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

John Dunbar

correct about everything
looked like a pretty awful game and i have had no interest in playing it anyway, but what is interesting is that the next episode is zelda II: the adventure of link. if they shit on it i am going to be most upset. one of my all time favourites.

however, them choosing to review that particular game would lead me to guess they would appreciate it. doesn't seem like they would pick a 25 year old black sheep of an acclaimed series just to go "yep, it's awful".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
looked like a pretty awful game and i have had no interest in playing it anyway, but what is interesting is that the next episode is zelda II: the adventure of link. if they shit on it i am going to be most upset. one of my all time favourites.

however, them choosing to review that particular game would lead me to guess they would appreciate it. doesn't seem like they would pick a 25 year old black sheep of an acclaimed series just to go "yep, it's awful".
The one cynical thing about their planned videos is that they are chasing views. They said that no one gave a shit about their Invisible Inc review, while everyone reacted to their Sonic review, so they are basically focusing on bigger games and retro games.

I guess that makes sense if they are trying to make some kind of profit from these videos though. Certainly they have a decent subscriber based on Twitch now if they just wanted to dick around there.

(MS Paint Movie Pictionary is the best game they came up with on their stream)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I've been going back through the pre Rec live streams I've missed, some really interesting things they talk about.

Gotta wait till later to watch that review. :(

davepoobond

The streams are awesome. I don't even watch their game reviews, but I love hearing them talk about nonsense.

Yeah, definitely. I think it's a little hard to sit through at home at the times they actually stream, but its amazing for something to listen to while at work after the White House press briefings lol

Speaking of which they just went live :0

Cheerilee

How was Halloween commentary?

I've honestly never seen it.

You haven't seen the original Halloween? I haven't seen the commentary yet, but you probably shouldn't watch the commentary before you've seen the movie.

The first Halloween is a legit good movie (unlike the sequels or the remake). It kicked off an era of horror movies, and the careers of John Carpenter and Jamie Lee Curtis. It's technically a slasher, but it's tame by modern standards, which is fine because it leans heavily on suspense and atmosphere, so it mostly holds up, unless you're one of those kids these days with attention deficit disorder.

I expect RLM is going to be going at it from a position of love, and watching the commentary first would ruin the movie, and you wouldn't really get what they're talking about. Halloween is no Baby's Day Out or Cop Dog.

I listened to the commentary yesterday. It's basically just Jay and Mike gushing over how much they love the movie while sharing interesting trivia, comparing it to later horror movies, and pointing out little problems they have (Like Mike pointing out that this Midwest town is filled with tropical trees). Rich says he had only seen the movie once before, so he spends most of the commentary talking about related movies.

It's worth listening to, especially if you were planning to re-watch the movie anyway.

I listened to it without the film there because why not?

It was pretty enjoyable. I don't know about $1's worth of enjoyment, but it was fun enough. I liked a lot of the trivia.

55457227.jpg

Crocodile brains.

The streams are awesome. I don't even watch their game reviews, but I love hearing them talk about nonsense.

The only one I've seen was the Katamari stream where Jay is there and he busts out the Miami Connection. Dragon sound songs. You could tell they were drinking and they both started to get amusingly crazy.

I also just re-watched the last wheel of the worst. I'm glad the Canadians are back. I have to say I watched it once and I must not have been paying attention because I rated as a boring episode but I caught all the talk about the old ladies dying after the dance video and I lost it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So they finally talked about the AVGN movie after all that teasing. lol

Jack hated it, which isn't all that surprising. It really does seem to be a movie where you have to be a fan of the character/James to even get anything out of it.

davepoobond

they sounded kind of sad toward the end of the stream today.

also, you could tell that they didn't like the AVGN thing since they first talked about it. i honestly don't know why it matters so much as far as they are concerned as to why people wanted to know what they thought so hard.

Fox318

they sounded kind of sad toward the end of the stream today.

also, you could tell that they didn't like the AVGN thing since they first talked about it. i honestly don't know why it matters so much as far as they are concerned as to why people wanted to know what they thought so hard.

Maybe they see themselves in the same light as him?

They both produce well shot film reviews with light story elements. They also both make movies.

I didn't see the stream.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So they finally talked about the AVGN movie after all that teasing. lol

Jack hated it, which isn't all that surprising. It really does seem to be a movie where you have to be a fan of the character/James to even get anything out of it.

I'm a big AVGN fan and I had to turn off the movie after thirty minutes. I'll definitely finish it...but...yeesh. It's just not great.

Really nicely shot though. James knows what he's doing with a camera for sure.

Myggen

I'm a big AVGN fan and I had to turn off the movie after thirty minutes. I'll definitely finish it...but...yeesh. It's just not great.

Really nicely shot though. James knows what he's doing with a camera for sure.

I just hope he's able to move on to other stuff now. I've been done with the AVGN character for a few years, so even though I was a huge fan of the character back in the day I have no interest in watching that movie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think I'm curious inasmuch as they're basically making their own movie, so presumably their opinion of the AVGN movie informs what Space Cop will end up like as a final product.

As for the movie itself, I'm a fan of it, mostly because I know what Rolfe has wanted to do through all his reviews and movie commentaries and whatnot. I can only assume that without any of that context, it would be a big chore to watch though.

davepoobond

It would be more alike content wise if they were making a half in the bag movie. Space cop is outside of the continuity of anything else they do story-wise I would think, so it doesn't seem like the avgn movie matters to them outside of the pure economics of it.

It has some bearing on it, but redlettermedia is more of a regular production company than AVGN which is pretty much just a character video series.

Myggen

It would be more alike content wise if they were making a half in the bag movie. Space cop is outside of the continuity of anything else they do story-wise I would think, so it doesn't seem like the avgn movie matters to them outside of the pure economics of it.

It has some bearing on it, but redlettermedia is more of a regular production company than AVGN which is pretty much just a character video series.

Well, isn't Cinemassacre his production company in the same way Redlettermedia is their production company? Anyways, I agree with you.

Fox318

He(Rolfe) made a ton of errors during filming that had to be fixed in post.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Well, for me, it's more about how they approach "camp" and "comedy". I assume Space Cop is meant to be a comedy that either parodies or pays homage to all the shitty movies that they watch on Best of the Worst, which in a way is what the AVGN movie did with Troma/monster movies.

But yeah, one of the things that got Jack was how AVGN heavy it was... which would be like making a Plinkett movie, I suppose. By virtue of just being something original, they'd probably avoid a lot of what they see as problems with the AVGN movie.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I should point out I saw the RLM movie at least a year ago (Feeding Frenzy), and while bad in it's own right it was at least mildly entertaining. For the life of me I can't remember all that much of it.

Top Bottom