• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Cheerilee

What do you figure they would actually see? Probably not anything that looks like the original video, I would guess

I don't know. I took apart and fixed some VHS tapes back in the day, but I never thought to mess around and stick one in backwards. I didn't expect them to get any audio out of it, but amazingly it looks like they did.

Newer VCRs were better for stuff like automatically correcting tracking errors, but if you had a slightly damaged section of VHS, the old VCRs would let you watch the flawed video, while newer ones would say "Nope" and give up immediately. The quitting was way more bothersome than the video errors. RLM's too-smart VCR didn't even try to show what garbage an upside down tape looks like. It gave up and quit before even making one single attempt to entertain us.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I don't know. I took apart and fixed some VHS tapes back in the day, but I never thought to mess around and stick one in backwards. I didn't expect them to get any audio out of it, but amazingly it looks like they did.

Newer VCRs were better for stuff like automatically correcting tracking errors, but if you had a slightly damaged section of VHS, the old VCRs would let you watch the flawed video, while newer ones would say "Nope" and give up immediately. The quitting was way more bothersome than the video errors. RLM's too-smart VCR didn't even try to show what garbage an upside down tape looks like. It gave up and quit before even making one single attempt to entertain us.

Now I'm regretting getting rid of our old janky VCR I grew up with.

davepoobond

Oh HELL YEAH. Our old VCR could manual tune any channel. When I was 13 I figured out how to half tune the Playboy channel to display perfectly but in Black and White.
Still one of my proudest moments!

Haha yeah I think I was able to control from that too, but the enterainment system in that house was set up weirdly now that I think about it.

Another oddity I remember about the tv was some sort of cable switch behind the tv that would get "alternate" channels that I had no idea what they were. I was too young to understand much about cable channels back then, I just couldn't find anything I wanted to watch so I always put it back to the "normal" channels

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The best part of them not giving a shit about games or being a part of the game industry is that they're allowed to hate Naughty Dog games and don't give a shit about any backlash. lol

The best part of them not giving a shit about games or being a part of the game industry is that they're allowed to hate Naughty Dog games and don't give a shit about any backlash. lol

True, but it's pretty dumb that they refuse to try the Last of Us because they've concocted some sort of elaborate lie about what the game is based on The Order. And I don't even like the game that much.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
True, but it's pretty dumb that they refuse to try the Last of Us because they've concocted some sort of elaborate lie about what the game is based on The Order. And I don't even like the game that much.
I have no doubt that they would hate it though. It's everything that they are not looking for in video games in a single package. The fact that Jack has played the Uncharted games also helps them lead to that opinion.

davepoobond

they read off a couple of things i said in the chat in today's stream during GTA V about the patch, that was fun to hear

Could you imagine a Best of the Worst style spin-off from Pre Rec, where they play and hate on games and game types they hate? The gaming section would flip their shit.

probably not, most people wouldnt care. The Order is an outlier in every situation.

aravuus

A TLOU stream thread alone would be pretty insane if this

Yea, Jack especially made it pretty clear he doesn't like ND's style.

is true.

And very entertaining. I didn't really like TLOU myself either so it'd be fun to hear Jack and Rich's thoughts.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think if they did a review of The Last of Us, it would cause either them to be banned from GAF or be a graveyard of bans in the thread. :p

jgminto

Would The Last of Us really be a game they'd dislike that much? It never struck me as a game that was going for a total cinematic style like The Order. I also didn't like Uncharted that much but enjoyed TLoU quite a bit.

TLOU gives you way more options than your typical TPS so I doubt they'd hate the game.
Maybe they will complain about how the story is too serious or some shit like that.

davepoobond

jack is blatantly anti-narrative. at least rich gives most games a chance to tell a story.

however rich doesnt like a lot of turn-based RPGs, which arguably have the best opportunity for a good story IMO, so who knows if that matters

I could imagine a similar uproar, when it comes to Uncharted or The Last of Us.

What's their stance on God of War?

i dont think they've played it, but they dont like the QTE stuff so they may not like the combat in God of War since you have a little mini game every time you want to kill the bigger dudes.

aravuus

I expected It Follows to be a massively terrible horror movie, but it actually looks really good. Better check it out some day.

megamerican

Is the It Follows talk pretty spoiler-y? Normally I don't give a shit but I kinda want to go in blind on that one if people are comparing it to Kill List.

inm8num2

Is the It Follows talk pretty spoiler-y? Normally I don't give a shit but I kinda want to go in blind on that one if people are comparing it to Kill List.

At one point Mike mentions spoilers for It Follows but there was no "go to this timestamp to skip spoiler talk", so I just jumped forward to the Furious 7 discussion.

davepoobond

I saw the first two fast and furious movies. I thought the first one was great, the second one terrible and the 3rd just looked weird.

I guess I should try to watch them all again since the new one seems like a throwback to a simpler action movie.

I saw the first two fast and furious movies. I thought the first one was great, the second one terrible and the 3rd just looked weird.

I guess I should try to watch them all again since the new one seems like a throwback to a simpler action movie.

The third is basically just a racing film that you could have called "karate kid racer". Fast 4-7 and on basically act like a direct story sequel to the original f&f film.

At this point I would imagine that Furious 7 is in Commando territory. Your brain knows it is going to be stupid on some level, but you don't care.

Yeah . . . although I was a little surprised when Mike said he was OK with the silliness because, unlike DieHard that started grounded and ended with "McClain throwing planes at planes," Furious movies weren't annoying in their presenation.

But (while The Fast and Furious wasn't exactly high art), it was grounded fairly well at the beginning. Now it's batshit insane (and knows it).

Yeah . . . although I was a little surprised when Mike said he was OK with the silliness because, unlike DieHard that started grounded and ended with "McClain throwing planes at planes," Furious movies weren't annoying in their presenation.

But (while The Fast and Furious wasn't exactly high art), it was grounded fairly well at the beginning. Now it's batshit insane (and knows it).

I would say that the original The Fast and the Furious is par for the course when you look at hos grounded in reality it was compared to Die Hard. The street racing elements did feel closer to reality and there was a Hollywood styled heist plot attached to it. In Die Hard, it starts out somewhat grounded in reality with McClane visiting his wife at an office party on Christmas, but then the action breaks a bit out of the bounds of reality as the movie progressed. But neither hit insane levels of disbelieve.

Die Hard 5 really feels like it loses touch with reality, but not in a good way. Bruce Willis barely even feels like he is committed to the role anymore at this point and he is only there to collect a pay check. Furious 7 seems detached from reality too. But the cast and crew knows it and they are just having fun with what is there. I think it changes the tone of the movie in a more positive way.

Die Hard 5 really feels like it loses touch with reality, but not in a good way. Bruce Willis barely even feels like he is committed to the role anymore at this point and he is only there to collect a pay check. Furious 7 seems detached from reality too. But the cast and crew knows it and they are just having fun with what is there. I think it changes the tone of the movie in a more positive way.

I agree . . . And I think that's what they were getting at, but this is one of the few times where I think they could have expressed their point a bit more clearly.

Die Hard still presents itself as a grounded in reality action series which makes all its over the top stunts and action look silly. F&F4 on basically present themselves as an over the top silly action movie which is why they work.

Fox Mulder

Just skip to 5-7. The older ones are probably more enjoyable if you were a fan of them when they came out really.

Fast & Furious basically re-invented itself at 5. I recently caught up because of the hype and couldn't believe that it's really a good series now. In fact, it would be good if this series would become a guide for other hollywood action blockbusters. What RLM didn't mention (since it's not that evident if you start with 7 instead of 5) is that they do practical effects quite a lot, or rather know how to implement CGI in a decent manner. The people responsible for the series since 5 simply have their hearts in the right place when it comes to classic action and it shows.
Gotta say though, 7 might just be the weakest of the new ones. I feel the other setpieces were either more diverse in their action or even more ridiculous and dumber (in a good way). Plus, as they've also noted, 7 has too little of The Rock.

After watching the new Terminator trailer, I really hope they're somehow going to take on it in a bigger fashion than just a 15 min segment in Half in the Back.

Top Bottom