• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red meat triggers toxic immune reaction which causes cancer, scientists find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Statements like this always make me chuckle. As if you can't enjoy life without doing something like eating read meat.
By the same logic, you can cut a lot of things out of your life and still be happy. Hell, you can lead a fulfilling life of asceticism if you have the personality for it.

Me? I want a life where I can cook and eat lamb.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_mi1ygxwejp1s40dpio1_500.jpg

Dying fast doesn't sound too bad. If I loved bungee jumping and my cord snapped I wouldn't mind being killed instantly.

Cancer means dying slow, though. That's what scares me more than anything.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If you are going to eat red meat just do things to fight inflammation in the body.

Eat less sugar, take a daily aspirin, season shit with turmeric, eat more fish (salmon is great) and get plenty of sleep.

Exactly. Simply triggering inflammation is not going to give you cancer. Otherwise everyone who eats starchy carbohydrates or sugar is fucked, which is pretty much the majority of the planet.

I've always been a chicken and fish man, myself. I don't even like steak but I've been known to enjoy a good hamburger or honey baked ham on occasion.

Oh yeah okay scientists, we've only been eating red meat for fucking several millenniums.

Yes and eating meat has been amazingly helpful to us as a species. But evolution doesn't really care if we die of cancer when we are over 50. As long as we produce a fuck ton of offspring it's all good at a species level. This is about improving our quality of life as individuals. Totally different thing.

Valhelm

contribute something
I wish they would have defined what "large" means.

I usually have red meat once or twice a week. Is that too much?

it thought it was the coloring that specifically can be carcinogenic, not so much the meat by itself. It's not actually 'red' but brownish in it natural state.

at any rate: it's unclear from the abstract what 'long term exposure' would mean in human terms, or how long it would take to readjust the immune response, if at all possible.

looking at the related articles, it seems the antibody is expressed in any human, regardless of the actual consumption of red meat that has this Neu5Gc in it, which seems to be something our bodies kind of expect, from the looks of it. The accumulation of the same stuff in carcinoma's may be due to different reasons (lack of an intervening agent for instance), or an evolutionary wager between reproduction and time-to-live (meaning people aren't really 'supposed' to get very old). If it's the latter, than that's that and it's vegan from here on in.
On a sidenote: there is no compelling evidence that vegan makes anyone live any longer than others, aside from the relative genetic lottery we all 'just have to deal with'.

#Ishouldgetahobby

edit: like reading Bukowski. I've seen a movie based on his work, and that was excellent.

Interfectum

Exactly. Simply triggering inflammation is not going to give you cancer. Otherwise everyone who eats starchy carbohydrates or sugar is fucked, which is pretty much the majority of the planet.

Exactly. Even vegetarians need to think about inflammation thanks to pesticides and soy products.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly. Even vegetarians need to think about inflammation thanks to pesticides and soy.

Even if you go organic or eat something that had zero pesticides, you still have to deal with the natural toxins of plant food.

We've been devouring red meat for thousands of years. Doesn't stop people from living to 90.

The very same is true of smoking.

It is a probability and risk thing. It does stop many people from living to 90, but not all. It is not a random coincidence that the Japanese who have a seafood-heavy and not much beef diet live much longer than everyone else.

Fuck. So where's the cure, guys? This is America, we don't cut-back or stop for shit. Let's block this immune response so I can continue to enjoy my pulled pork and ribs!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The very same is true of smoking.

It is a probability and risk thing. It does stop many people from living to 90, but not all. It is not a random coincidence that the Japanese who have a seafood-heavy and not much beef diet live much longer than everyone else.

But then you have the Okinawans who eat a lot of pork (relatively) and sweet potatoes, while eating far less fish and rice than the mainland Japanese people.

I think it's hard to look at specific aspects of a population and try to extrapolate those things as a reason for their long lifespan (or lack thereof).

I imagine there's a pretty large genetic component to all of this, too.

The Japanese could also simply be a case of them being very well-adapted to their environment due to the likely relative lack of migration due to their isolated nature.

UberTag

I guess at least they isolated the cause.
Now they just need to find a way to extract Neu5Gc out of the red meat we process before we eat it.
And then sell this Neu5Gc-free food to us at a 300% markup.

"Want to eat a hamburger and not kill yourself? Here, pay this exorbitant amount of money!"

Ultratech

Let's see....

I don't eat much pork or beef (pretty rarely).
I don't eat lamb. (No reason really.)

Guess I'm ok, though what doesn't cause cancer at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom