• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Damn, I was hoping this was going to be fun/good.

Ah well. At least MHR: Sunbreak just came out on PS5 and Xbox on Friday which will likely take up a lot of my time until Diablo 4.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
phil-spencer-cringe.gif

XesqueVara

Arkane made some great games that sold bad, maybe they thought it was time to make a bad game that sells great?
Dishonored 2 selling less than the first one even tho being a critical hit is a very shit thing tbh.
They are very successful in the Immersive Sims genre but it will always result in a commercial flop.

Flabagast

Arkane made some great games that sold bad, maybe they thought it was time to make a bad game that sells great?
I think unironically that that is the exact reasoning of Arkane's leads on this project.

With their pedigree and gaming philosophy, there is no way at all that Harvey Smith or Ricardo Bare have any respect for the mindless 4 player looter shooter genre to which Redfall belongs. No way in a million years.

Zheph

Dishonored 2 selling less than the first one even tho being a critical hit is a very shit thing tbh.
They are very successful in the Immersive Sims genre but it will always result in a commercial flop.
Sadly it also came out in a really rough state it was a massive shame

Stafford

A few years ago when Bethesda had just done their E3 show where they had that trailer about how much they care about the single-player gamer....

Wasn't there a report or rumor that Bethesda was actually starting to get into more GaaS like games? Didn't a leaked Redfall screenshot show a ingame store? That's all gone now. I'm guessing once MS bought them some things changed, those things being gone is a good thing but clearly something went horribly wrong too.

This was supposed to be the year where we'd finally start seeing the results of all these acquisitions. Well, they sure did surprise us with Hi-Fi Rush, but Redfall doesn't seem to be what people were hoping for and what you'd expect from Arkane. The dev a while ago said they would probably go back to making immersive soms like Dishonored and Prey again and I truly hope they will. Give us a sequel to 2017's Prey.

Hey, I understand why Xbox fans aren't happy right now. I like Xbox as well and I want them to compete to keep PlayStation honest. Look at what they did with Game Pass. Now we have PS+ Extra/Premium and without it we would still just have basic ps+.

Competition is important and there's no way around that fact. Hopefully this will make MS work harder with their studios going forward.

Varteras

It's just the way things are. Critics loving something or hating something doesn't always resonate with fans. Call of Duty sells outrageous copies but half the games are mediocre at best. Dreams was highly praised but no one bought it. It has to be the most infuriating thing for a developer. Knowing you have a fantastic product but no one bought it because it lacked enough hook for some reason.

Varteras

Hey, I understand why Xbox fans aren't happy right now. I like Xbox as well and I want them to compete to keep PlayStation honest. Look at what they did with Game Pass. Now we have PS+ Extra/Premium and without it we would still just have basic ps+.

Competition is important and there's no way around that fact. Hopefully this will make MS work harder with their studios going forward.

Absolutely. I, personally, just think you should hold your preferred company to a high standard. If you are willing to overlook its issues and keep handing them money, they won't have an incentive to improve. I also don't think it's healthy to keep supporting a company that fails just for the sake of keeping the others "honest". Where is the line? It's not your responsibility to fund incompetence.

XesqueVara

It's just the way things are. Critics loving something or hating something doesn't always resonate with fans. Call of Duty sells outrageous copies but half the games are mediocre at best. Dreams was highly praised but no one bought it. It has to be the most infuriating thing for a developer. Knowing you have a fantastic product but no one bought it because it lacked enough hook for some reason.
Yeah, some games genres have more appeal than others, That's why games like AC and FarCry who aren't critical successes manages to make Bank for Ubisoft, I think you average normie really likes the idea of having a Open-World game to explore every shit of it.

Luigi Mario

I actually thought ChorizoPicozo ChorizoPicozo "pressure relief valve" comment about Redfall's upcoming reception was kind of overblown but seeing as we already have had a few meltdowns, even though reviews still aren't out, he might have been on to something.

Foilz

Banned
"One of the worst of 2023" so not the worst which means it could actually be one of the best!
Microsoft is responsible for the quality of the games they release.
Are you trying to suggest that the state this is being released doesn't count as a release under Microsoft?

Continuing to defend them on this stuff is only going to produce more of these results. The game is not ready, they know it, they decided to release it anyway because they see it as Gamepass fodder title and nothing more.
No, not defending MS at all simply saying that Bethesda who is basically hands off and free to do what they want dropped the ball. Even though MS owns them this was a Bethesda game. It was started before they were bought. Matt booty and the boss man at arkane should never have allowed it to be released in its current state . Forget 60fps, that means nothing when a game is buggy. But in the end it is a Bethesda game and no matter how great oblivion or Skyrim or fallout were they ALL were buggy messes. It's what they are know. For.

this is nuts…….i was looking forward to this xbox exclusive (starfield too) and they are saying its the worst game of 2023?

Foilz

Banned
this is nuts…….i was looking forward to this xbox exclusive (starfield too) and they are saying its the worst game of 2023?
If you were looking forward to it before the reviews then still download it after the reviews and make your own judgement. It's on gamepass so it doesn't cost you anything

I actually thought ChorizoPicozo ChorizoPicozo "pressure relief valve" comment about Redfall's upcoming reception was kind of overblown but seeing as we already have had a few meltdowns, even though reviews still aren't out, he might have been on to something.
well, it was because after the 30FPS news someone posted an audio from an Xbox fans saying "he was done with Xbox, that he felt Xbox wasn't taking care of him as a consumer, etcetera"

sentiment that I have heard from the very own Jezzz Corden.

Banjo64

cumsessed
PS has placed them self for their AAA as a best story telling, Cinematic game experience, and best graphic but for MS even they do not know what they want for their Xbox brand.
It’s why I don’t even want a Banjo or Conker sequel from Microsoft. Can you fucking imagine waiting 20 plus years only to get some Crackdown 3 level piece of shit? My only hope for the future is that Microsoft DON’T try to release another Banjo game and instead sell their dormant IP to someone who actually gives a fuck. And if they won’t sell it, keep it in the cold hard ground please.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I, personally, just think you should hold your preferred company to a high standard. If you are willing to overlook its issues and keep handing them money, they won't have an incentive to improve. I also don't think it's healthy to keep supporting a company that fails just for the sake of keeping the others "honest". Where is the line? It's not your responsibility to fund incompetence.
Agreed. A few months ago I got completely fucked over with an expensive digital purchase and couldn't get a refund, so now I'm hesitant to spend day one money on aaa digital games. Once you get burned, you become sensitive to future interactions.

That's why it's so important to not drink the koolaid from just one gaming company. At some point they'll disappoint you, no matter who they are: Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all do from time to time.

oji-san

Banned
Who are they? it's one reviewer who said that, and it's is opinion, seems it will not get the best scores but if you have Game Pass then why not try it for yourself .

Banjo64

cumsessed
If anyone wants a good laugh, here’s Colt Eastwood eulogising over this game for 15 minutes straight :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I’m sure he’ll put hundreds of hours in to this (in between all of the shilling), just like he spent hundreds of hours with friends blowing up buildings in Crackdown 3.

Last edited:
This is very obvious at this point and now I really questioning if Phil is even a real gamer ... I just don't get how it has gotten this bad over there.

He’s a real gamer, I’ve been matched with and against him in numerous games online.

Imagine the orgasm some here would have if they were able to decapitate Papa Phil in Chivalry 😆 (hey it’s on PS+ this month, he might still play it)

Top Bottom