• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheTony316

Watched ACG's video.

The game looks, at best, like a late PS4-era title, and that's being generous. God knows why they can't get it to run at 60fps out the gate.

I think it needs, at least, two years' worth of development.

MS are absolutely shitting the bed at the moment. This is just incompetence.

Nah. Late era PS4 gave us Days Gone, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima and Miles Morales. Redfall looks more like an HD remaster of a late PS3 game.

SCB3

Im not high on this game. With the smoke billowing that there are a lot of issues, I went 50-60s. I hope I am wrong.
Same here, Back 4 Blood falling apart after launch pretty much confirms the market for these games isn't really there atm

Nvzman

I feel bad for the regular players who couldn't care less about Console Warz™, but the hardcore fanboys who are already circling the wagons like they always do and are preparing to blame Sony for any criticism of the game, or call anyone who has issues with it "Ponies"? I don't feel bad for them one bit.

I'm critical of Xbox because I want to see them be successful.
I'm critical of the merger because I paid attention in history.

But to the Team Green zealots, any such criticism or negativity means I'm purely an anti-Xbox troll, which always makes me laugh.
(Edit: Taking suggestions for a Nintendo hat to round out the collection.)
Yea its true, I got accused of console warring earlier in the thread just for providing context to a statement thats not really warranted. I primarily play on PC and own both Xbox/PS and I can safely say that right now out of the 3 big console manufacturers, Microsoft is indeed in the deepest shit right now, and its entirely their fault. IMO I honestly think this traces all the way back to MS's big kinect push over a decade ago. I think it genuinely ruined their internal studios and caused so much turnover and change of priorities that they still cannot manage their studios for shit to this day. For example, disregarding Redfall or Starfield or Halo or whatever, the fact that Rare is still working on... whatever the fuck Everwild is now, and we still have no idea what it is even after years is genuinely kind of pathetic. Same with Perfect Dark, Fable, etc. Like Microsoft really really needs to start prioritizing competent schedules and not whatever they are doing now. I'd honestly argue only Playground Games (aside from Fable) and Tango Gameworks are actually doing well under Microsoft. And I don't even think it has anything to do with MS.
Sony and Nintendo just have so much of a better internal structure its not even funny. And its a damn shame, because if MS felt like it, they could easily get some awesome projects going with the IPs and manpower they have. They just... don't have anything at this point. Its looking extremely bad for them.

It seems like only yesterday getting first party games on game pass sounded great.
Disappointed Let Down GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Last edited:
Well then we will be back in this same situation in September.
I don’t think they’ll care too much. They’ll post how many records it’s broken for players etc and know they’ll have engagements because of game pass and fix from there. Same will happen with Redfall. Sea of Thieves style.

Baki

Arkane makes awesome games but it seems like reviews are not going to be positive for this game. That would be a real shame. I loved all their other games.

SCB3

If heads don't roll if Starfield is trash, then xbox can't be salvaged.
Thats the one game I think will be fine as it's been in development for years before MS bought Bethedsa

its the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout that concern me more

Stafford

I see some people on other forums say "meh, it's on GP anyway. I'll play it." and I find that a risky thing to say, I mean, that's not a trend you actually want to become real. You should always want and expect the best of products that you buy, whether it's on a service or not and it isn't free either.

FH5, Psychonauts 2, MSFS, HFR, that is how you want to release first party games on your service. Redfall hopefully is a rare case.

This isn't how I thought this gen would go for Xbox.
Nobody did. The messaging leading up to 2020 and the launch of the Series X was great, acquiring Bethesda and other smaller devs let gamers know the issues of "no games" was going to be remedied, but as it stands they have more or less failed to deliver on that promise, and their marquee game Halo Infinite was overall a disaster. And now in many instances we see "The World's Most Powerful Console" lose often to the PS5 in regards to performance on multiplat games and all the rhetoric around their upcoming games is less than positive.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I feel like this is gonna be one of those games where gamers go absolutely mental and make the biggest deal about it being the worst thing ever of all time...

Then you actually play it with a couple of friends and it's like 🤷‍♂️... I'm having fun. Not sure why I should be so mad.

Kinda like Gotham knights last year.
Or Crackdown 3 in 2019 🤷

I like all 3 Crackdown games, Remember Me, Sonic Unleashed and Forspoken.

Nothing's wrong with liking a game that has low reviews.

Last edited:
Why is microsoft incapable of consistently putting out good first party games like sony can?
I'd argue MS isn't even really trying to make big AAA games anymore. They seem to want titles that are smaller, scaled back, snackable, etc.
They even said they'd be happy if Hellblade 2 had the same scope as the first game but looked AAA.
They obviously don't mind using game releases like it's early access. Remember they charged $60 for Sea of Thieves Day 1 and took years to turn it around. Why not do that about with this game at $70?

Stafford

I 100 percent believe it gets pushed to “spring 2024” microsoft cannot afford another dud like this.

Let's just not do this, I mean come on. The game has been content complete for a while now, as per BGS, yes yes I know Todd being “tell me lies" bla bla. It has been delayed for almost a full year since it's initial 11-11-22 release, they have been in polishing phase for a while now.

Fess

Thats the one game I think will be fine as it's been in development for years before MS bought Bethedsa

its the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout that concern me more
How can those concern you now? Those are far away, easily next gen for The Elder Scrolls VI, let’s say 5 years, and Fallout late next gen or the generation thereafter.

Topher

Gold Member
Nobody did. The messaging leading up to 2020 and the launch of the Series X was great, acquiring Bethesda and other smaller devs let gamers know the issues of "no games" was going to be remedied, but as it stands they have more or less failed to deliver on that promise, and their marquee game Halo Infinite was overall a disaster. And now in many instances we see "The World's Most Powerful Console" lose often to the PS5 in regards to performance on multiplat games and all the rhetoric around their upcoming games is less than positive.

Pretty much. They seemed to have all the parts in place, but somehow cannot get out of their own way.

Gudji

I 100 percent believe it gets pushed to “spring 2024” microsoft cannot afford another dud like this.
Unless they show a much more polished game compared to last year yeah, I can see this getting delayed to 2024. I've been saying that for a while.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'd argue MS isn't even really trying to make big AAA games anymore. They seem to want titles that are smaller, scaled back, snackable, etc.
They even said they'd be happy if Hellblade 2 had the same scope as the first game but looked AAA.
They obviously don't mind using game releases like it's early access. Remember they charged $60 for Sea of Thieves Day 1 and took years to turn it around. Why not do that about with this game at $70?

Last edited:
Pretty much. They seemed to have all the parts in place, but somehow cannot get out of their own way.
I have made this comment before about Phil and his leadership style but I think its pretty apt. He reminds me of a wartime general. He was the right guy for the job when Xbox One was tanking hard and his programs made the platform more attractive (back compat, Game Pass, Scorprio program, Play Anywhere). I appreciate the fact that he is going out and adding devs to their stable because it will eventually pay off.

The problem is, he has set Xbox up for success but he doesn't seem to be the right man to lead them into the next stage. Xbox needs a leader that is less concerned with growing the brand in size, but more concerned with taking what they now have and making it the absolute highest quality it can be. I don't think that is Phil Spencer or Matt Booty.

I said 60-70 but I have zero skin in the game.

It does look rough and the 30fps for console is flat-out unacceptable for this type of game. I hope it gets the support it needs cause a coop shooter against vampires sounds effing awesome. I picture some Fright Night scenarios with buddies (no, not the shit remake). That'd be so dope.

kyussman

To be fair to Phil Spencer he has spent the last 18 months trying to buy Activision/Blizzard so I doubt he's had much time for quality control.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

StueyDuck

I bet the Redfall team is already working on Prey 2 or Dishonored 3 or something safe like that.
Prey 2 would be my wet dream...

But they don't have raph colantonio anymore who If I remember correctly played a large role in prey 2

(Also I wouldn't be against a deathloop 2, the idea is great and the game was at the very least good, having a second shot at it with some fresh ideas could make it a desirable sequel)

Topher

Gold Member
I have made this comment before about Phil and his leadership style but I think its pretty apt. He reminds me of a wartime general. He was the right guy for the job when Xbox One was tanking hard and his programs made the platform more attractive (back compat, Game Pass, Scorprio program, Play Anywhere). I appreciate the fact that he is going out and adding devs to their stable because it will eventually pay off.

The problem is, he has set Xbox up for success but he doesn't seem to be the right man to lead them into the next stage. Xbox needs a leader that is less concerned with growing the brand in size, but more concerned with taking what they now have and making it the absolute highest quality it can be. I don't think that is Phil Spencer or Matt Booty.

I think Matt Booty should be replaced for sure. He isn't getting the job done.

To all my green rat brothers.

Let Tim Cappello be the soundtrack to your hype for this game. (no that's not meant in jest)

I STILL BELIEVE!!!!! I'm with you gentlemen!

I'd seriously be blaring that banger while playing. Just getting so damn hyped. Just watching the video alone makes me want to get a Series X, lol.

Last edited:

Freeman76

MS do need to start sorting their shit out. The last thing we need is Sony to have free reign, we're all fucked then.

I love how MS have turned their ship around and Phil has done some great work but they need to step it up with exclusives.

Personally I wish they would merge with Nintendo and bring their games to the series x/s, I know that will never happen but its the only way we will ever see Nintendo games with decent performance lol.

skit_data

Gold Member
Now that I think about it, I can’t remember a rather big game keeping review embargos until several hours after the games release?

Top Bottom