• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ungalo

So i knew someone at Arkane Lyon that told me about the state of the dev and the pessimism surrounding it at Austin a few years ago.

But besides that i read on twitter someone who apparently also knows people in the Lyon studio who said that Microsoft themselves didn't believe in Redfall either and wanted to release it as soon as possible to be done with it. I'm not sure if it's legit but it seems believable.

So i guess it really was a cursed project if nobody believed in it.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

DAMN, so i wake up today to this mess, Redfall has become Redfail, as i expected from the last few footages shown the game is a total dumpsterfire, its a shame because Arkane is a great and talented developer, or maybe they used to be? since we follow studio names, we dont actually know how makes these games, so they either had a bad day or the staff has changed with poor devs, idk, it could be either way, Deathloop and now this, if the third game fails we can safely say Arkane is done.
Next Arkane game is go big or go bust. Hope to see them go back to their roots, there's already too much co-op junk on the market, in contrast to the few good immersive sim games out there.
KNOW YOUR PRIORITES ARKANE!!

Smith was lead of the first Deus Ex though. Or is that now retroactively bad too, because 'PoLiTiCs iN mY ViDeO gAMeS'?

I think it's great that Bethesda and a corp like MS let their lead dev express their personal perspective, no matter if its subtle or not (in this case not). Kinda refreshing.
Its fine when developers be political imo, they just go with the most basic bitch and safe positions lol.
That moment when you think you are a badass resistance fighter with based politics but then every major big corporation and media outlet agree with everything you say, it won't stop being ironic to me what this kind of people do.
When the first Deus Ex came and presented its themes, it was daring, the new games with political themes dont even compare, they are safe, bland and predictable junk in comparison. Mayne there is few exceptions but im talking generally.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Watched Karak, MrMattyPlays, and GmanLives and my verdict is: I'm not wasting SSD space on this.

This is more jank than game and it doesn't even have any visuals to justify the jank. People who say it looks like a PS3 game are being hyperbolic but it isn't too far from the truth to say it looks like an early XBO/PS4 game. Sunset Overdrive has more visual prowess than Redfall and that shit is a 2014 game. Granted, it's third person rather than first but c'mon. There's no excuse for this level of lackluster visual design and sheer amount of bugs in 2023.

A1RnOpH.jpg
This was kz4 at launch day and yeah redfall kinda look a gen behind.

axpuhp.gif

killzoneHyder.jpg

799_max+(1).jpg

Last edited:

Jaybe

What a shady company MS is by doing a review embargo on the launch of this game.

They knew the game is crap and they wanted to delay the bad reviews as much as possible in the hope that people would buy this game before the negative reviews. Pro-consumer Microsoft strikes again.
It goes further I think. Seems like they only released PC review codes. I found the game unplayable on XSX. Reminds me of CP2077 hiding last-gen performance issues from reviewers (and consumers).

GHG

Gold Member
So i knew someone at Arkane Lyon that told me about the state of the dev and the pessimism surrounding it at Austin a few years ago.

But besides that i read on twitter someone who apparently also knows people in the Lyon studio who said that Microsoft themselves didn't believe in Redfall either and wanted to release it as soon as possible to be done with it. I'm not sure if it's legit but it seems believable.

So i guess it really was a cursed project if nobody believed in it.

I don't get it, why not just cancel the game and save face?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
He does realize that, unlike Redfall, Jedi Survivor actually has really good gameplay and graphics right? And despite its problems, runs much better than Redfall. He realizes that right?

Same story with Forspoken. Gameplay is pretty fun and smooth and the combat is pretty good overal. Graphics are in some places mixed but it looks a lot better then Redfall.

Last edited:

GenericUser

I mean Redfall is a trash game anyway, but if Microsoft rushes Starfield I'd be REALLY pissed. Delay it another year, if neccessary.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Zenimax doesn't have the talent/resources to hold up Xbox as their sole first-party production.

EA is far more productive than Zenimax and if they put out their own console, it would bomb. Microsoft's management thinking that Zenimax could carry them was just foolish from the start.

Sony didn't buy Insomniac or Bungie thinking, these studios will carry us on their own. They added them to a library of studios with proven production and are augmenting those with support studios and additional studios to focus on areas where they are deficient. Most of the studios Microsoft purchased are entirely unproven and they have limited experience working with Microsoft and Xbox. Will be difficult to turn around this ship when games take 4+ years to develop. The added difficulty of making sure these games run on Series S with feature parity isn't helping.

GHG

Gold Member
Because then they’d have nothing for the first half of the year. To go with their empty as fuck 2022.

The situation is still the same even with this game releasing, in fact I'd say it's now worse considering how insultingly bad this is.

Possibly worried about the Scalebound backlash.

This is valid but they should have been able to figure out the fact that this game wasn't looking too hot from the moment of the acquisition - therefore we never needed to know about it.

Nautilus

Banned
I mean Redfall is a trash game anyway, but if Microsoft rushes Starfield I'd be REALLY pissed. Delay it another year, if neccessary.
After all the delays the game already had? After the mediocracy, to put it lightly, that the Series generation has been so far? From a consumer and a investor point of view, I don't think they can.

GenericUser

After all the delays the game already had? After the mediocracy, to put it lightly, that the Series generation has been so far? From a consumer and a investor point of view, I don't think they can.
Yeah, they probably can't. Although the investors are probably not their biggest concern. Said investors would probably like it if microsoft abandons the xbox project altogether. But the consumers expect *something* in 2023 and besides Starfield (and Forza Motorsport 8 - to an extend) there isn't much going on on xbox.

Last edited:

kyussman

This "generation" is crazy. It is like all developers have just forgotten overnight how to make games that run properly. They are actually hostile to the idea of releasing games that are not glitchy messes.
I've sat the entire thing out so far and have no regrets.Was thinking about a PS5 slim if that happens but not sure,also would like to think the likes of Starfield,Avowed and Fable will make an XSX a good purchase but Microsoft just seem to not know what the fuck they are doing over there.....I don't feel confident investing in Xbox at all.Urrgghhh!

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

Delaying Starfield would torpedo the platform. Even if the game ends up being a 70 or 75, they have to release it by the end of fall. Momentum is a real thing here and you get so far behind Sony that people won't even consider xbox as a viable option. That is what happened with the Dreamcast and the Gamecube and it won't matter what they release in 2024, because it'll be too little too late.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Ok,something just happened to me lol,.......with all the talk of this game recently and now these reviews I've only just now been reminded this is actually a full price game you can purchase.....I'd fucking had this down as literally a GamePass game.....wtf,lol.The fact this is a full price game makes this so much worse.
Yes, Redfall is actually Microsoft's first $70 game.

"This price reflects the content, scale, and technical complexity of these titles," a Microsoft spokesperson told gaming publication IGN in a statement Monday. (Source)

Thirty7ven

Banned
But Arkane Austin made Prey. Probably the best Arkane game. Also, they were co-developers for Dishonored 2.

The talent has left the building. Now we know why Bethesda was accepting so many timed exclusive deals. Zenimax cashed in as soon as MS called.

I don't get it, why not just cancel the game and save face?

Revisionist bs, apparently Harvey Smith was telling people the complete opposite.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I can think of many reasons. Because it was relatively advanced and financially it wouldn't make sense, because they didn't want to cancel a project just after they bought Bethesda and send a bad signal, because XGS has nothing this year...

Again i don't know if it's really true though.

Canceling the game would be really bad for Phil Spencer. They've already had layoffs at bethesda which don't bode well for Starfield after what we've seen with Redfall.

You spent 7.5 billion + operating costs with no return. You have to get SOME content out of that. You can't go years without releasing AAA content even if it reviews this poorly. They'll put more effort into getting the game up and running after the fact and see if it can have a redemption story in time for the holidays, but I can't imagine gamepass subscriptions not taking a dip this quarter and the next.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Zenimax doesn't have the talent/resources to hold up Xbox as their sole first-party production.

EA is far more productive than Zenimax and if they put out their own console, it would bomb. Microsoft's management thinking that Zenimax could carry them was just foolish from the start.

Sony didn't buy Insomniac or Bungie thinking, these studios will carry us on their own. They added them to a library of studios with proven production and are augmenting those with support studios and additional studios to focus on areas where they are deficient. Most of the studios Microsoft purchased are entirely unproven and they have limited experience working with Microsoft and Xbox. Will be difficult to turn around this ship when games take 4+ years to develop. The added difficulty of making sure these games run on Series S with feature parity isn't helping.
?? The reason your assertion sounds unreasonable is because it isn't true. Why would you assume that MS wants Zenimax to solely produce first party games. What about the other studios they own?

Edit: Am I missunderstanding you?

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Worst week for MS and Xbox since the E3 announcement of Xbox One?

Yep. I'd say so.

It easily is and I'd argue it might even be worse. Nothing at the E3 announcement couldn't be fixed relatively easily. You can't erase a drought of 2 years and longer if Starfield doesn't deliver.

Can't stress enough how bad this looks against Final Fantasy 16 and Spider-Man 2. Unless those games similarly disappoint, Microsoft has a lot of problems on its hands.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
?? The reason your assertion sounds unreasonable is because it isn't true. Why would you assume that MS wants Zenimax to solely produce first party games. What about the other studios they own?

Their other studios haven't produced anything for this time period and instead, Zenimax has been asked to carry an entire year by themselves, not just that, they are expected to wash the taste of an empty 2022 with two titles.

You can't tell a developer, your game has to be a GOTY. It's unrealistic expectations.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Starfield?

Ups Oops GIF by Mi Posicionamiento Web
Bethesda as developers do send out buggy games for sure, but I am certain that we can all agree that ES6 won't be a complete mess like this. Or Starfield for that matter. Buggy? Oh yeah. Bad? No way.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Their other studios haven't produced anything for this time period and instead, Zenimax has been asked to carry an entire year by themselves, not just that, they are expected to wash the taste of an empty 2022 with two titles.

You can't tell a developer, your game has to be a GOTY. It's unrealistic expectations.
That is a more reasonable take, but that's what you asserted in your last post.

Ar¢tos

What are you talking about. Sony, Nintendo and Square Enix are still making these huge single player games and spending millions in the process, they also sell really well, despite you saying that they basically don’t.
Do Sony, Nintendo and Square Enix release those games day one on subscription services?
I did say "on subscription services"...

Top Bottom