• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You mean the game that Sony advertised as part of the FUTURE OF GAMING SHOW for PS5 launch? Yes dude. Both MS and Sony release big messes.
Bro you sound hurt. You're angry with MS, its okay. We all are. But there's no need point blame at PS.
Every single person here know there's a difference in storied-expectations between Redfall and Destruction All Stars. Cmon.

bender

What time is it?

At one point Redfall was potentially the game that would have got me to buy an Xbox.

spit-take-drink.gif

StueyDuck

This is the first UE5 game aside from fortnite right?

I hope these bugs and performance issues are just a bad game and not the start of a new pattern for UE5 games.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Bro you sound hurt. You're angry with MS, its okay. We all are. But there's no need point blame at PS.
Every single person here know there's a difference in storied-expectations between Redfall and Destruction All Stars. Cmon.
Believe me i’m not. I don’t care about MS to get me angry. I’m more invested in Sony which gets me angry sometimes with Jim leadership.

yazenov

What a shady company MS is by doing a review embargo on the launch of this game.

They knew the game is crap and they wanted to delay the bad reviews as much as possible in the hope that people would buy this game before the negative reviews. Pro-consumer Microsoft strikes again.

HL3.exe

Deus Ex was not really a political work, and if it was, it's politics were not self defeating in the meta or actual sense.

In Deus Ex, different perspectives from around the world are given voice and sensible arguments. That's not to say that all are equal in the game, but there's at least a debate.

Modern game "politics" are little more than agit-prop. Nobody's going to defend Elizabeth Holmes, but I don't play games or engage in any fiction for direct allegory with no actual creativity.

Well, isn't that funny? Because Smith's bosses, both from Microsoft and Zenimax before, are rich people paying him his salary. It's been the case for the vast majority of his career. That's what I meant by self defeating in the meta sense.

I don't believe that that's what Redfall is about anyway. There's not enough story for it to be "about" anything. I think Smith was just given a line by opportunistc PR who saw an easy way to score brownie points with the activist press.
Deus Ex was definitely a political work, about the role of government in a post augmented society. Theme's of 'the individual vs Groupthink'. It's not Smith's writing, as Sheldon Pacotti did the heavy lifting there. But all throughout their games (from the Looking Glass days) they're is a noticable through line that these games want to be 'about something meaningful or insightful' and demonstrating these ideas through gameplay systems and runtime simulations. And I feel that they've kinda lost that over that years. Especially with this one, being a more looter shooter type deal instead of a immersive sim.

What Smith is proposing thematically here isn't very subtle or deep, which I agree. Dishonored felt the same way to me. Just by the numbers anti-established retoric without any 'teeth'. But I would've expected MS or Bethesda PR giving a more sterilized versions of his interviews.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Indeed. Why would you give this buggy mess a pass just because it is on Gamepass when it is a full price release?
I've read the article and it's pretty crushing, really. It implies that Redfall is a flop and Gamepass is a shady proposition.

That doesn't make Redfall's launch state feel any less shady. If Xbox plans to use Game Pass as an early access hub, then the terms need to be clear. And if Xbox wants to release games that aren't ready for retail, then potential players deserve to know when they're spending $70 on potential, and potential alone.

Thirty7ven

Banned
What would a delay get them? Having read and watched a couple of reviews, the game is a mess top to bottom. It's not just a case of bugs or bad design, bad mechanics, but it's also lacking in content and production values. Microsoft finalized Bethesda's acquisition in March 9th of 2021, more than two years ago, although it was announced in September of 2020. The game was announced on stage by Phil Spencer. It's a long time.

Let's get real about it, either the team is full of hacks or the whole "The good thing about being with MS is all the resources we have access to" is bs. I'm going with the team is full of hacks and management doesn't know what to do about it.

Last edited:

yazenov

What would a delay get them? Having read and watched a couple of reviews, the game is a mess top to bottom. It's not just a case of bugs or bad design, bad mechanics, but it's also lacking in content and production values. Microsoft finalized Bethesda's acquisition in March 9th of 2021, more than two years ago, although it was announced in September of 2020. The game was announced on stage by Phil Spencer

Let's get real about it, either the team is full of hacks or the whole "The good thing about being with MS is all the resources we have access to" is bs. I'm going with the team is full of hacks and management doesn't know what to do about it.

While I agree with your comments regarding the quality of the game, I was talking about the delay in the reviews by doing a launch-day embargo on reviews.

Wildebeest

So the game is out, right? How are so few people streaming/watching this on Twitch?

13k viewers total for launch day is crazy.
Maybe the big streamers have already signed contracts saying when they are supposed to play and how much they will be getting for it.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
What would a delay get them? Having read and watched a couple of reviews, the game is a mess top to bottom. It's not just a case of bugs or bad design, bad mechanics, but it's also lacking in content and production values. Microsoft finalized Bethesda's acquisition in March 9th of 2021, more than two years ago, although it was announced in September of 2020. The game was announced on stage by Phil Spencer. It's a long time.

Those reviews also show something problematic about reviews.How come a buggy mess can be on the same level as aboring but complete and working game.This is true for Redfall just as Jedi survivor or Cyberpunk 2077...I would understand something like a pending review saying that a game has potential but in its state can't have a good note.But more often that not it seems like journalists don't care how buggy and laggy a game can be.

No fucking way Id Software helped with Redfall and didn't mention the studio should address the gunplay. This game shouldn't have been released the way it did.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I can't even...
Why ? WHY would some individuals invest so much time and energy supporting/shilling for multi-billion companies ?
It really boggles the mind, it's almost a mental health-like problem/situation for Christ's sake.
Games don't even matter anymore it seems for some. All that matters is the branding on the plastic box that plays the games. If it's good and plays well, it's going to be good anywhere. Even if it only plays on one plastic box. If it's Redfall, it's gonna be janky shit no matter the logo on the boxy thingy.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Crazy take. Any game should release of the highest quality possible, regardless as to whether you’re subscribed to a service. It’s not an excuse to make shit games but here people are saying ‘good enough for game pass’ or ‘a perfect game pass game’. Shit like that is why we have Xbox releasing such average AAA games.
They are being sarcastic -- not presenting it as an excuse. Like taking a dig at them.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
more often that not it seems like journalists don't care how buggy and laggy a game can be.
It might be that they have to produce a review in order to get paid, but the game they have to review is in a pre release state.

If the developers say "ok, we know there are issues with the frame rate and the AI, BUT we are issuing a day one patch, so try to look past that." Then the reviewer is in a tricky position.

If they give a damning review they potentially spoil their relationship with the publisher. If the patch comes along and does fix everything then their audience accuse them of being shills or on the payroll of another publisher. If they delay their review they don't get paid / don't get clicks/ don't get noticed by the publisher / other publishers / lose status.

I can imagine that things got more complicated once games started getting patched, and particularly now that so many games are coming in hotter than ever. I don't know if we're seeing the results of the pandemic and lockdowns still or what.

The whole culture of gaming and the internet is about "now" and "first". To some degree, that's why releasing a broken game and fixing it later won't be enough, you never get a first time a second time.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

“Starting in 2023 our new, built for next-gen, full-priced games, including Forza Motorsport, Redfall, and Starfield, will launch at $69.99 USD on all platforms.
“This price reflects the content, scale, and technical complexity of these titles.“
This has aged well, if they truly wanted the price to reflect the content, scale, and technical complexity of Redfall it would cost 29$ or even less.

M1987

This is the first UE5 game aside from fortnite right?

I hope these bugs and performance issues are just a bad game and not the start of a new pattern for UE5 games.
It's UE4,but all the talk leading up until a few weeks ago was that it was being made on UE5

Of course.

And you can add Jedi Survivor to that list. Game runs like ass but has been showered *by almost everyone* in praise.

Video game journalism is a joke. And I don’t mean that in a tinfoil hat kind of way. It’s objectively stupid. All we need to know is how the game runs. Everything else is taste.

I used to think they were comedy but now i realize theyre a tragedy. No tinfoil hat is needed dude. Reviews are bought and paid for in this industry. It doesn't have to be paid for with cash, necessarily, it can favors and exclusive early access.

However, it is paid for primarily with cash in the form of gaming related gifts. Every big AAA game now pays for flight and lodging at lavish preview events. They give out early "review copies" which aren't just review copies but expensive collectors editions.

Youtubers and streamers are getting showered with these handouts because they are so easy to buy and provide great marketing.

Reviews today are almost meaningless.

Top Bottom