• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember Me |OT| You forgot, didn't you?

JohngPR

Are we gonna get a Rremember Me PC performance thread or what?

How's the performance on the PCs, for those who have it?

I have a Phenom XII 955 Black Edition
AMD HD 7970
8GB RAM

Runs really great on my system. Only problem is the usual Unreal 3 framerate drop/hitching because it's loading in a large area (like it happens in Bioshock Infinite PC) issue. It doesn't happen nearly as often as it seemed to in Bioshock Infinite but it's still noticeable. Outside of that, runs at 60 pretty much at all times. I'm not usually a fan of film grain (I turned it off in Mass Effect), but I actually like it in this game:

rememberme2013-06-041k8lf1.png

Was wondering if there will be a PC Performance thread as well...especially in case someone finds a solution for the game dropping frames when it loads a huge area.

I've played about halfway through Chapter 1 and have really enjoyed it so far. I haven't done a hell of a lot quite yet
(I'm almost at Leaking Brain)
but the story/setting/art direction/graphics are really good so far. The gameplay has been usual combat/platforming stuff you've seen in other games....nothing exceptional but nothing bad.

The melee is somewhat similar to Batman except that you have to time each button press in order to get the combo right. I kind of wish that the dodge was more of a counter, but I suppose it does give the game it's own kind of feel. I'm way to early to give any definitve impressions but I've liked what I've played of it so far.

Lovely game. Tomb Raider-ish. Loved the memories remixing and the other stuff you can do to memories. Currently in the 3rd episode.

Spazznid

I think the case here is that, if you only count the combat, exploration, Platforming, and Acting, you'd consider it meh. If you add in the glorious soundtrack, the sweeping vistas, the attention to detail, the amazing and in-depth backstory/lore, and the nice ideas, you get something that's not as great as you know it could have been.

It would be a dream come true if Square managed to grab these guys up and produce another game in Neo-Paris.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
The world is pretty interesting, it's giving me Beneath a Steel Sky vibes. I just got to this one point where you're standing on a balcony and this immediately came to my mind.

Tnetennba

I'll be away with no internet when this comes out but as soon as I get back I'll be diving straight in. It sounds polarising at times to be sure but that just makes me want to get me teeth sunk into it even more. Hearing Batman comparisons for the combat is just making that wait even harder.

Runs really great on my system. Only problem is the usual Unreal 3 framerate drop/hitching because it's loading in a large area (like it happens in Bioshock Infinite PC) issue. It doesn't happen nearly as often as it seemed to in Bioshock Infinite but it's still noticeable. Outside of that, runs at 60 pretty much at all times.

That's good to hear. I was curious about just how good the PC version would be but from what people in this thread are saying it seems there's little to worry about.

Not too far in yet, but it's really fun. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot to explore, though.

Definitely tempted to pick up the art book for this game.

30 minutes in and liking the atmosphere, art and music so far. Voice acting's a little hit and miss. Combat's ok. Music elevates it by layering sequences as you're doing well. Leeloo Dallas multipass. Traversal's boring.
Vendor in slums said:
What'd you brush your hair with? A grenade?
And that line is really dumb.

Kolgar

Holy cow at the flood of positive reactions to this game. Good to see real gamers trying this out for themselves... And sorely disappointed by what passes in this industry for "journalism."

If you like the game, tell a friend. If the game is indeed good, then this dev needs something to counteract the damage done by the negligent press.

Poker360

I'm an hour in or around there, at a cut scene i keep freezing up.

Running an AMD 8350, Gigabyte 7970, 8GB RAM.

Anyone else having this issue?

Roubjon

I started it around 2 hours ago and I'm loving it. I can't help but simply walk everywhere and never run around because there is so much detail in the world. I don't want to miss anything. It's when games have this level of thought implanted into the world where I absolutely love them. It's one of the main reasons I thought Radiata Stories was so great.

In terms of the platforming and combat system, they seem fine. They are nothing amazing, but I'm enjoying myself nonetheless. Not every game that gets released needs to innovate, but as long as they have something else going for them then that's okay. And Remember me does this incredibly well.

The game looks fantastic at times and runs really well too, which I'm surprised about considering this is the PS3 version of the game.

I'm happy I'm liking it so much, because I'd be pretty damn disappointed after spending $60 on it otherwise.

Runs beautifully for me though I'm still early on. 1080p, everything maxxed out including Super Sampling:

i5 2500k @4.5ghz
GTX 680
8GB RAM

60fps for me with some dips into mid 50's during cutscenes.

For anyone that enjoyed my stream yesterday. I'll be continuing it in about 1.5 hours or so. I'll be sure to post the link when I do. We had a good time gaf!

I have a Phenom XII 955 Black Edition
AMD HD 7970
8GB RAM

Runs really great on my system. Only problem is the usual Unreal 3 framerate drop/hitching because it's loading in a large area (like it happens in Bioshock Infinite PC) issue. It doesn't happen nearly as often as it seemed to in Bioshock Infinite but it's still noticeable. Outside of that, runs at 60 pretty much at all times. I'm not usually a fan of film grain (I turned it off in Mass Effect), but I actually like it in this game:

Was wondering if there will be a PC Performance thread as well...especially in case someone finds a solution for the game dropping frames when it loads a huge area.

This is running on the Unreal 3 engine?

Okay cool, I know for a fact it should run great on my crappy system now, thanks guys!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Anyone spend a lot of time walking in this game? I feel like if I'm always running at full clip I'll miss something cool.

I'm kinda surprised so many people like it. From what I've seen, it's written like a saturday morning cartoon and the gameplay is boring and unoriginal. Great setting though.

I think the case here is that, if you only count the combat, exploration, Platforming, and Acting, you'd consider it meh. If you add in the glorious soundtrack, the sweeping vistas, the attention to detail, the amazing and in-depth backstory/lore, and the nice ideas, you get something that's not as great as you know it could have been.

It would be a dream come true if Square managed to grab these guys up and produce another game in Neo-Paris.

Also the back......story. I cribbed that from someone on Slasher's Twitch channel - full disclosure.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The plot is ok, the city looks great, but the combat and the memory exploits are just barely catching my interest.

I realize you can make your own combos. But I feel like its not even on par with the Akham games. I realize this is Capcom we're talking about. So why are all non-fighters like this?

The main character is digitally attractive. I'm on Chapter 2.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kinda surprised so many people like it. From what I've seen, it's written like a saturday morning cartoon and the gameplay is boring and unoriginal. Great setting though.

Saturday morning cartoons can be great! You should give it a try,

Roubjon

I got to chapter 3, but I'm going to call it quits because I want this to last more than a couple of days. All I can hope for is that it doesn't get worse as time goes on.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Really liking it so far, just finished chapter 4.

I'm curious, are the Left Trigger moves the easiest way to beat enemies? I notice normal combos can go on for a few minutes. I switch to the rage mode and its actually enjoyable. But if that's on a cooldown then its like I'm punching away for really no damage at all.

Edit: Wow, I missed the damage meter at the bottom. Now I think I figured it all out.

I personally think this is one of the most visually stunning games to come out this year. Sure it might not stack up to a God of War, but I think it easily looks better than Gears of War Judgment. The lighting and attention to detail are outrageous. I'm sure technically it might be lacking in some areas, but so far it's been a feast for the eyes. I wish there was more interaction with the environments, and the combat more fluid, but there's much to build on here. I supported it at full price; hope it does well enough for a sequel at least.

Gold_Loot

Just played this a good hour or so on PS3. Minus a little jank here and there, this game is impressive. Beautiful graphics and sound , above average combat , and a (so far) interesting story. Perfomance on PS3 so far has been flawless.

Glad I picked this one up.

BoSox06DH

Just completed Chapter 2 and I'm enjoying the game a lot. The combat is weird at first in terms of timing, but I like creating your own combos. As others have mentioned the music is very good and I like the atmosphere of Neo-Paris.

No.
I have tried that. It only works for me in very specific instances like wanting to add an otherworld element.

okay, if you say so. tho, personally, i'm just not seeing how people speaking french in a game set in a future version on paris is particularly 'otherwordly' :) . i mean, were they all speaking, say, english, then maybe...

i guess i prefer original dubs in games (including this one) just because i think it adds some flavor...

This game is very cinematic/linear story driven. But I think reviewers are being a bit unfair to this game. There are so many AAA titles that follow this same design/formula, and get a pass. And tbh, this game goes above and beyond those games in terms of making the world/interesting. There is just so many details in this game, little events that get set off around you as you do the platforming sections. I have to say, this is the most immersive sci-fi game I've played in recent years (in terms of it hitting all the aesthetics of the genre)...

just finished chapter 2, & i agree with you that some reviewers were a bit over-harsh in criticizing remember me for aspects present in many other action-adventure games. tho i have to say, as linear as many other games are, this one, so far, has felt extremely confined, & (for a game set in a city) extremely lifeless (as in, stiff, non-reactive npcs), on an almost retro/ps2 level. if, despite this, it's working for me, i think it's only because i've seen it all before, i can accept the fact that, skill/resource-wise, all developers aren't created equal, & i've learned to just go with it & take the bad with the good (which there's been quite a bit of)...

so, yeah, while the game's been, in no way, a 5.9 experience up till now, it's also definitely been no uncharted or arkham ciity type 'revelation', either. the best action-adventure games this gen have displayed technical ambitions at least equal to (if not sometimes surpassing) their story-telling ambitions. &, while i don't necessarily go into a game expecting that, & don't really need that in order to have a pretty good time, i can understand how, at this point, a number of other people do 'need' it, & won't accept anything short of it...

& i think that's their loss, to an extent. but, hey, that's just the way it is :) ...

Zoc

Where is the PC version available? I searched for it on Amazon, Greenman, and Steam, and nothing came up.

Bit the bullet, got the game.

Wow, you guys weren't kidding. The game is bloody gorgeous, even on my crappy ass laptop lol.

Running it at 1680x945, High Graphics, Low Shadows, No AA or SSAA. Getting 40+ FPS, which is acceptable for me on a Core 2 Duo laptop with a Mobility Radeon 4670 lol. Also set the audio to French with English subs to give it that authentic Neo Paris feel.

Absolutely stunning, I could hardly notice its UE3 origins. You could see it was targetted for 30 FPS on the consoles though, the prerendered video cutscenes are locked to 30 FPS.

Where is the PC version available? I searched for it on Amazon, Greenman, and Steam, and nothing came up.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/228300/

?

Camp Lo

Banned
Played a little bit on my break. The fighting feels really weird, almost elementary to Arkham City's senior level combat. Wasn't impressed by the graphics at all, playing maxed out with super sampling on.

I wish I could turn off the climbing assistance.

Grisby

"Remember you later!"

Some of the memory stuff is so stupid but I like how far they take it. And that news reporter, like a freaking 2080 Nancy Grace. The boss fight whose name is a holiday was pretty fun.

okay, if you say so. tho, personally, i'm just not seeing how people speaking french in a game set in a future version on paris is particularly 'otherwordly' :) . i mean, were they all speaking, say, english, then maybe...

i guess i prefer original dubs in games (including this one) just because i think it adds some flavor...

just finished chapter 2, & i agree with you that some reviewers were a bit over-harsh in criticizing remember me for aspects present in many other action-adventure games. tho i have to say, as linear as many other games are, this one, so far, has felt extremely confined, & (for a game set in a city) extremely lifeless (as in, stiff, non-reactive npcs), on an almost retro/ps2 level. if, despite this, it's working for me, i think it's only because i've seen it all before, i can accept the fact that, skill/resource-wise, all developers aren't created equal, & i've learned to just go with it & take the bad with the good (which there's been quite a bit of)...

so, yeah, while the game's been, in no way, a 5.9 experience up till now, it's also definitely been no uncharted or arkham ciity type 'revelation', either. the best action-adventure games this gen have displayed technical ambitions at least equal to (if not sometimes surpassing) their story-telling ambitions. &, while i don't necessarily go into a game expecting that, & don't really need that in order to have a pretty good time, i can understand how, at this point, a number of other people do 'need' it, & won't accept anything short of it...

& i think that's their loss, to an extent. but, hey, that's just the way it is :) ...

I understand what you're saying but I don't think it's fair to compare a brand new dev team to Naughty Dog. Their first games were far from perfect but with more work, they improved and became the devs that they are today. Also, I love Arkham Asylum but it had its problems and was very linear (most of the game was indoors and half of the second Arkham City was indoors as well) so they were able to mask some of the linear elements. Also, they probably had more experienced staffers and had the backing of WB and DC.

I'm not making excuses for the lack of exploration but for their first title, it's very good. I do understand why they went a particular way with some of the design decisions (it's their first game and their publisher, Capcom, and other powers at will probably wanted them to probably stay along the line of something familiar gameplay wise for marketing purposes). Remember how Assassin's Creed and Uncharted started and the great jump it made when they made the sequels? I personally love Remember Me (the soundtrack alone is one of the best this gen) and feel that it shows the talent of Dontnod and I hope that they are given a chance to make more titles in the future.

BTW, I'm kindof an odd duck (like some of my fellow gaffers) and sometimes I enjoy games that are given 6's or 7's more than titles given a 9 or 10. Some of the "formula breaking" titles sometimes don't provide the fun I want ultimately in a game. So, whenever I see reviews I have to sometimes take them with a grain of salt. Like others, I have lost out on some of my favorite games when they came out because I listened to reviewers and allowed their opinions to taint my view while playing some games. It's my fault but I eventually had to learn to get over it and trust my gut.

Definitely enjoying it so far. I just
beat Kid X-Mas
. Another case of reviewers and I just not agreeing.

I'm with you on that :) More people just need to play what interest them and just enjoy the ride without the debby downers ruining the fun they could be having with a particular title.

Just got to Episode 5. Good God this game just continues to blow me away with its gorgeous environments. I don't know how someone can come away from this and not appreciate the art and detail that just overloads every location. Night time, rain falling everywhere and seeing the neon glow of futuristic skyscrapers off in the distance... Yes please.

I am again at a point where I just have to stop and look all around, because I am in the future. This is what I imagine it would be like if you could ever just step into one of those crazy futures you only see through Hollywood computer-generated graphics and look around for yourself rather than being stuck with whatever the camera decides to show you.

I'm getting better at combat and I finally figured out that I should use more Regen moves so I stop dying so much. The Chain moves are really nice for boosting effects.

I don't even really have a problem with the voice acting or anything. I wish there were a little more background on who exactly all these people I am encountering are, as each person seems to be introduced within that episode, but whatever. All that is secondary to just experiencing everything.

However, I must admit that paying the discounted price from GMG makes it much easier to really love this game. It may be difficult for some to justify the $60 price for consoles, but I dunno, I haven't had too many experiences like this in gaming and I appreciate it each time something like this comes around.

If you don't view the combat as the central portion of the game, and instead view it as a cinematic experience with some fighting to get through, you may enjoy it just as much as I do. Not to say I don't enjoy the combat, but I absolutely look forward to the end of each fight just to see where the game is taking me next.

Wanna buy day one but how long is it and has it got replay value

I'm not sure of the average length of the game because I haven't beaten it yet and I also play games a lot slower than your average gamer. I do feel that it does have replay value. Its a game that has a unique combat system and if you enjoy it at all and like the unique environment and story of the game, you will want to play through it again. I know I will :)

Roubjon

ROFL oops. I somehow walked into a corner I wasn't supposed to and then the game glitched and I started clipping through walls and managed to start walking around until I was outside of the area itself while walking on air. I then tested to see how far I could go and then the game froze and I had to hard reset the PS3.

Guess it's telling me to stop. But I don't want to!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Got the PC version. It runs pretty well on my set up, although I did find that turning off anti-aliasing helped the game to run more smoothly. Settled on medium level detail (which doesn't seem much different from high detail- high has no grain filter and that seems to be it on my rig) and am running it at 1920x1080.

Played the first few chapters. Unless something suddenly changes and it all turns to shit, I don't see what there is that would cause the game to get scores as low as what IGN UK gave it. The controls are good and combat reminds me a bit of the Batman Arkham games (no counter, but maybe that gets unlocked?), where you beat guys up and can quickly dodge their strikes when a mark appears over their heads. Pretty cool story, too. I wasn't too thrilled with the memory remix stuff (watch a cut scene! Rewind! Watch it again! Rewind! Fast forward! Pause!) as it seemed a little tedious, but it is cool that you can actually fuck up and completely change the outcome of what is supposed to happen. And the soundtrack is definitely worthy of all the praise its been getting.

If we're doing meaningless comparisons, I already like the game far more than any Assassin's Creed title that I've ever played. You actually get to do platforming stuff YOURSELF! WITH A JUMP BUTTON! :eek:

This game is way more story-driven in comparison to those games, and far more linear as of right now, but I keep passing by areas where access is denied (shops and NPCs), with a clear indication that you'll be back later.

stktt

Banned
I played for three hours and, unless the quality drops significantly, Remember Me is great. Dontnod has created an absolutely beautiful world to explore, and there's plenty of lore and periphery details to flesh out the setting. Nilin is a realistic, relatable protagonist, and witnessing precisely what memory remixing entails was actually a little unnerving. The writing is decent, with the occasional egregious one liner. Combat is essential a more nuanced, demanding version of what's found in Assassin's Creed, though that isn't saying much. Once you master timing combos, dodging enemies as you activate more powerful attacks is easy and, dare I say, fun. Platforming is basic to the point of feeling perfunctory, but traversing the environment isn't an issue.

It certainly isn't without issues, but this is definitely better than expected.

Top Bottom