• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember Me |OT| You forgot, didn't you?

The more I play the more I am enjoying it. It may not be groundbreaking. But it has some pretty good moments.

I just started Chapter 3, and I'm really digging it. Certainly not a Triple-A title, but despite the rather small explorable areas, I'm still surprised by the quality present here. IGN review was super-misleading. Capcom could make an amazing sequel with this franchise.

Beat the game on normal, took about 11 hours. Interesting game, the story, world building and memory remixes are really cool ideas.

Camera sucks, and story dialogue/pacing could be better. Is this DONTNOD's first game? Pretty impressive if so.

Would definitely recommend it for fans of action/adventure games, or those looking for something unique.

I just started Chapter 3, and I'm really digging it. Certainly not a Triple-A title, but despite the rather small explorable areas, I'm still surprised by the quality present here. IGN review was super-misleading. Capcom could make an amazing sequel with this franchise.

Sadly, between zero marketing and mediocre reviews, I expect this isn't going to sell well.

Beat the game on normal, took about 11 hours. Interesting game, the story, world building and memory remixes are really cool ideas.

Camera sucks, and story dialogue/pacing could be better. Is this DONTNOD's first game? Pretty impressive if so.

Would definitely recommend it for fans of action/adventure games, or those looking for something unique.

Damn straight. I honestly thought it was done by one of Capcpom's internal studios and I did a double take when I realised it was not the case.

The aesthetics especially really do not reflect your generic Western sensibilities. It's not shooty bang or bro enough to have been made by a Western dev lol. Too colourful.

Sadly, between zero marketing and mediocre reviews, I expect this isn't going to sell well.
That's why we have to word of mouth this game like crazy right now to fight against the low review scores.

My uninformed take on the whole debacle: I feel like all the negative reviewers rushed through the game and treated it as another typical action game like DMC. The focus on traditional games like that is the combat dynamics usually, rarely about the story or universe that it is contained in. So I think they all missed the point on how to actually enjoy the game, as they were so focused on comparing it to preconceived notions of action adventure games.

From my experience so far, the best way to get the most out of this game is to simply take your time and absorb the ambience and atmosphere of the game. Even on the traversal sections, I don't just speed through to get to the next ledge or whatever. I take in the entire environment and admire all the effort that went into crafting each section or location. I'm sure that so many people just ran through each place in 5 seconds without a second glance to the details that are jam-packed everywhere. I feel like they are missing the point and allure of this title.

I really hope this does well against expectations, because Dontnod definitely deserve more support to continue making games like this.

Damn straight. I honestly thought it was done by one of Capcpom's internal studios and I did a double take when I realised it was not the case.

The aesthetics especially really do not reflect your generic Western sensibilities. It's not shooty bang or bro enough to have been made by a Western dev lol. Too colourful.
Aren't they a French developer? I thought that was why the setting was Neo-Paris instead of like... Neo-New York. For me, it doesn't feel like any other traditional American developer, so I attributed it to the idea that they were French. Unless you meant Western differently.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow the combat in this game is fun. Right now I have my combos set up so the small one is for grinding health, the middle one is for boosting my cooldowns, and the long one is for straight damage with a little health regen thrown in. It's fun strategizing which combos I want to use based on the situation. Also I've finally gotten a hang of the dodge mechanic and am able to continue combos between dodges.

Roubjon

The first real review that got out was the 59% IGN one, so I'm sure a lot of people saw that and instantly threw away the idea of checking it out. If the 8/10 EDGE gave it was the first review people saw, the story probably would have been different.

+love the graphics
+this is some amazing world crafting... so much detail
+soundtrack is wonderful
+camera direction is pretty good (with an exception below)
+the GUI elements, presentation, etc. is top notch IMO
+love memory remixing (it's fluid and intuitive)

-no target locking when in combat, super annoying
-combat is a chore, and it feels laggy and unresponsive
-there's not enough time between an enemy ! and when they attack
-attack chaining is too slow compared to the frequency at which enemies attack and use specials
-story is kind of rushed so far
meeting up with tommy and deciding to go take down a corporation all within a short while? really? she didn't need much convincing...

so far im not regretting buying it, but i am worried about the reviews saying there aren't enough memory remix sequences. hopefully DLC adds some chapters?

Zukuu

Banned
+love the graphics
+this is some amazing world crafting... so much detail
+soundtrack is wonderful
+camera direction is pretty good (with an exception below)
+the GUI elements, presentation, etc. is top notch IMO
+love memory remixing (it's fluid and intuitive)

-no target locking when in combat, super annoying
-combat is a chore, and it feels laggy and unresponsive
-there's not enough time between an enemy ! and when they attack
-attack chaining is too slow compared to the frequency at which enemies attack and use specials
-story is kind of rushed so far
meeting up with tommy and deciding to go take down a corporation all within a short while? really? she didn't need much convincing...

so far im not regretting buying it, but i am worried about the reviews saying there aren't enough memory remix sequences. hopefully DLC adds some chapters?
How is the combat / exploration+story+rest ratio?

kick51

Banned
So the IGN review was another example of them going after an easy, non-ad revenue generating target to show they're "credible"?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Yeah the one thing I'm dissappointed with is how few and far between the memory remixing sequences are. I've been playing for a few hours and I've only seen the first tutorial remix scene so far.

How is the combat / exploration+story+rest ratio?

VERY little exploration. it's pretty straight forward with a few hidden corridors for finding secret items, etc. here and there, but it's slim as far as i can tell. the story doesn't get too much in the way and the cut scenes for the most part are seamless with a few exceptions here and there.

i'm not very far into it yet though so im only posting on what i'm feeling so far. im a few hours in. my current verdict (subject to change) is buy it if you have the cash and feel like something a bit different, otherwise wait for a price drop or grab it used. i'm not feeling ripped off or anything.

Yeah the one thing I'm dissappointed with is how few and far between the memory remixing sequences are. I've been playing for a few hours and I've only seen the first tutorial remix scene so far.
That's unfortunate to hear as I absolutely loved that remixing section. It's easily the one gameplay element that really sets the game apart in a major way.

I'm struggling to dislike what I've played thus far given the $33 price I paid. Also...

ibrRXqxI4Ls0eY.jpg

I mean, damn.

Grisby

There's some jank in the game. The camera isn't all that great during battle as it doesn't pull out enough and the jumping can be wonky. Some stuttering here and there on the 360.

Still, I'm on episode 4 and I'm having fun. When everything does come together it feels great. I like that Nilin isn't a brooding amnesiac and the game seems to have the right amount of kooky stuff (Xmas).

It's tickling my cyber punk deal something fierce and I love it.

JKTrix

Played up until I got the Street Fighter moves. Enjoying it quite a bit. The model viewer is pretty cool too.

vulva

Anyone happen to have an extra DLC code for PS3? I got confused and thought it was from EB/Gamestop (which is where my girlfriend got hers). Turns out that just included some comic book.

If anyone has an extra, I'd really appreciate it!

Grisby

I love all the little pop up deals advertising market produce and shuch. I've been reading every one of the them.

On a side note I never did get that preorder book comic from GS, Might have to go back for it. This game's world is neat.

I agree with the thoughts on the remixing memories concept. I do wish there was more remixing sections but maybe for the story that they were trying to craft didn't really need more remixing sections. Maybe it could be future DLC or if they are able to make a sequel, they can add more of those sequences into the game.

By the way, who's palms do I need to grease so I could get this game's soundtrack on record :)

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
This game feels very much like a movie in my opinion. Yes, it's linear, but it feels like a ride to me. I also really, really like Nilin.

"Maybe this time you'll remember me."

I was pretty hyped after that line.

I agree with the thoughts on the remixing memories concept. I do wish there was more remixing sections but maybe for the story that they were trying to craft didn't really need more remixing sections. Maybe it could be future DLC or if they are able to make a sequel, they can add more of those sequences into the game.

By the way, who's palms do I need to grease so I could get this game's soundtrack on record :)
It's on Spotify and its amazeballs.

NicoLeNano

Neo Member
Remember Me has been heavily supported by the videogames press here in France.

DontNod is indeed a french new developper team (created in 2008) working in Paris. They are composed by several talented people coming from various other vg teams.
The head of the company is composed by Jean-Maxime Morris (coming from UBI Soft Montpellier -Rayman team-), the art director Aleksi Briclot (who has worked on various comics such as Hulk, Spawn or the Avengers) and the writer Alain Damasio (who has written a really great novel called "La horde du contrevent" aka "Windwalkers").

CamHostage

just finished chapter 2, & i agree with you that some reviewers were a bit over-harsh in criticizing remember me for aspects present in many other action-adventure games. tho i have to say, as linear as many other games are, this one, so far, has felt extremely confined, & (for a game set in a city) extremely lifeless (as in, stiff, non-reactive npcs), on an almost retro/ps2 level. if, despite this, it's working for me, i think it's only because i've seen it all before, i can accept the fact that, skill/resource-wise, all developers aren't created equal, & i've learned to just go with it & take the bad with the good (which there's been quite a bit of)...

so, yeah, while the game's been, in no way, a 5.9 experience up till now, it's also definitely been no uncharted or arkham ciity type 'revelation', either. ...

I understand what you're saying but I don't think it's fair to compare a brand new dev team to Naughty Dog. Their first games were far from perfect but with more work, they improved and became the devs that they are today.

Well, it's fair to compare a $50 game to a $50 game, I don't think everything needs to be AAA but a creation either needs do something special or do everything well in order to escape comparison because money is tight and options are plentiful.

...That said, I'm like others on here where I appreciate left-of-field development efforts, and I'm glad this is being received with open minds despite the reviews. I really miss those European-at-heart games from the PS1 and early PS2 era (Ubisoft for instance does good work but it's sad that it has polished the nationality completely out of its productions to the point where you can't tell a game from France from a game from Montreal from a game from China from a game from Bulgaria... except Rayman, of course) and I'm happy that a French studio is doing things its own way. I expected that "high-def/bumpmapped PS2 game" comparison and I think I'd be interested in a game at that level of production value ramped up with this gorgeous graphical presentation. Will take a look...

Spazznid

Can someone please find the song that plays when you and
Kid Xmas
fight? (Early boss)

It's literally the best song I've heard in a game in quite a long time... I'm only afraid, that the reason it was so good, was because I don't suck at the game. Robert Cram did a video of the section, and the guy get's hit so often that the music in the background barely has any appearance... I think I'll be replaying that part a lot...

JohngPR

would peeps who have played this say that it's comparable to oni?

that game wasn't really any good but dammit i still liked it

From what I remember, I'd say it's better than Oni. Then again, I didn't really care for Oni. :p

I'm in Chapter 2 now and really enjoying the game so far. The combat is getting a little deeper allowing me more Pressens and I unlocked finishers. It all feels good, but nothing that you haven't seen before other than the combo slots. I'm hoping I unlock a new combo string. Right now I can do three different types of combos but only have two slots available. :(

Did the first memory remix and really enjoyed it. Oddly enough, my wife watched me play this while she was getting ready for work yesterday afternoon and came home and asked if we could play it, so the story is interesting enough to get a non-gamer to be interested in it. :p

stktt

Banned
Just finished chapter 3. The camera definitely becomes erratic when wall climbing enemies arrive, but everything else has been great.

JohngPR

As many other have pointed out, I've also been walking around, taking my time, and admiring the scenery. The areas are packed with little details. I really appreciate when developers make the levels they have this dense. Although the game is very linear so far, there's enough to see along the way to keep you engaged.

Bombless

I ended up getting the game thanks to GMG and their great sales. Now I'm stuck because Steam tells me the game is out but I'm still in "Game is preloaded, once it's unlocked you'll be able to play" mode. /sigh

edit : Okay so apparently the EU date is the 7th? This wasn't shown anywhere either on Steam or GMG and my own damn Steam client tells me the game is available.

I was one click away from buying this but I really should wait, just went on a trip and I know this game will be 40 in about a month or so. Can't wait to play it though, as today was the first time I heard about it from seeing the launch trailer.

Well, it's fair to compare a $50 game to a $50 game, I don't think everything needs to be AAA but a creation either needs do something special or do everything well in order to escape comparison because money is tight and options are plentiful...

this. the problem with the whole 'setting the new bar/standard' thing is that, for many, it redefines not what's 'exceptional' (which's what i think it should be), but what's now 'acceptable' within the genre. &, yeah, when there's no price differential, this way of thinking about things is something like a death sentence for any newer, less experienced developer working within the genre, no matter how interesting/imaginative their game might be...

it's one thing to see greatness in particular games. to then demand that same level of greatness from everything else, or to feel free to pound on any other game that comes up short, & to only be able to see what's not there as opposed to what is, only ends up encouraging the creation of the number of look-alike, designed by committee wanna-be games we now have...

synce

Went into this game expecting nothing and I'm pleasantly surprised... Everything's solid - characters, plot, gameplay, etc.

The only thing I don't understand is why western game designers have to make every woman look so unappealing. Nilin is constantly scowling, both in cutscenes and gameplay.

And I'm not a fan of the overplayed blue/orange color scheme. The first level was laughable

LuchaShaq

Banned
Just watched the Giantbomb Quicklook.

Combat looks interesting.

My question is does the entire game look like that? Honestly I find the protagonist/enemies/world to all be cringe level bad looking artistically.

GlamFM

Banned
Fuck the reviews - I´m buying this game.

Can´t resist.

Could it be a good idea to play it on easy?

Just watched the Giantbomb Quicklook.

Combat looks interesting.

My question is does the entire game look like that? Honestly I find the protagonist/enemies/world to all be cringe level bad looking artistically.

not really sure what you're asking. which games have you previously played in which the protagonist/enemies/world went from initially looking artistically cringe-worthy to good/great? :) ...

do some parts look a bit better than others? absolutely. that's true of many games. does it all somehow go from awful to awesome? i'm only 2 chapters in, but i'm guessing likely not. i'd say if what you saw looked terrible/unacceptable to you (rather than, say, okay/average), to the point where you just can't get beyond it, then the game's probably just not for you...

thumb

Banned
I was one click away from buying this but I really should wait, just went on a trip and I know this game will be 40 in about a month or so. Can't wait to play it though, as today was the first time I heard about it from seeing the launch trailer.

I was thinking something similar, but I decided that I would give these guys more support and buy earlier. I love the art, premise, and protagonist. I'm glad that someone has tried to create this game. Regardless, I understand wanting to wait.

thumb

Banned
Went into this game expecting nothing and I'm pleasantly surprised... Everything's solid - characters, plot, gameplay, etc.

The only thing I don't understand is why western game designers have to make every woman look so unappealing. Nilin is constantly scowling, both in cutscenes and gameplay.

Nilin was an assassin and revolutionary. She's not necessarily an "appealing" person.

And I'm not a fan of the overplayed blue/orange color scheme. The first level was laughable

But holy crap was the opening scene intense. Very unnerving.

Veal

Why is this game giving me flashbacks of Ghost Trick and Ace Attorney: Investigations?!

What the fuck is going on with Tommy's voice?!

L.O.R.D

just finished the game
what a waist of money on this game
50$ is too much
the combat and combo are broken
combo for healing ? really ?
this game...what genre it is ? its very close to beat em up game
you move form point to point..no side quest..no free roaming..every time there is hisnt where to go
the camera is big problem here
the memory remix is very good addition to the game, the sad thing is there are very few of them
the memory remix remind me of ghost trick

i guess..you should Remember this game when it will hit 10$ on steam sales

mace999

Neo Member
I think this game will be very dividing, you'll either love it or hate it ....

Personally I'm loving it, graphics are amazing, just walking around and getting the vibe of the city ..... I'm also liking the combat, I've got my 3 hit combat as just force, and my 5 hit combo of a mix of health and cool down, working for me at the moment ..... Hardly ever try to do my 6 hit combo as it's usually broken up .....

Love it, now patiently waiting for The Last of Us

Top Bottom